Why do some ppl say "Nothing is impossible, just improbable"?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts

There are a lot of things that are not possible. Like survining a nuclear bomb at ground zero.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

That depends on how one defines "impossible". The standard definition of impossibility refers to that which, if added to the world in which we live, would necessarily create an internal contradiction. And that makes the bar for actual impossibility almost impossibly high (pun intended).

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
Indiana Jones survived a nuke pretty damn close to ground zero. Thought I'd just throw that in there.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Because most of the people do not take these sayings literally, but rather take what they actually mean.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

That depends on how one defines "impossible". The standard definition of impossibility refers to that which, if added to the world in which we live, would necessarily create an internal contradiction. And that makes the bar for actual impossibility almost impossibly high (pun intended).

GabuEx
IS that Philosophy I smell?
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DudeNtheRoom
Because most of the people do not take these sayings literally, but rather take what they actually mean.funsohng
it actually means what it says. I don't think theres any other way of looking at it.
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Because it's true.....Just because something is extremely unlikely to happen doesn't mean it wont.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]Because most of the people do not take these sayings literally, but rather take what they actually mean.DudeNtheRoom
it actually means what it says. I don't think theres any other way of looking at it.

Gabu gave the best answer...
df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

Because most things in life that seem impossible are really technically possible, but the chances are like 1 out of a billion. I mean... surviving a nuclear blast at ground zero? If you were inside a castle or bunker or something, and you were in the bathroom and there were no windows and the walls were made from materials shipped in from China (increased lead content to resist radiation) and then the bomb went off over you, then you might survive. So next time you're afraid of nuclear war, go eat a sack-o-ten in the bathroom of a White Castle that was built by a discount construction company.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

GabuEx

It's impossible to create a machine that works at 100% efficiency.

That is, to create a machine in which the energy put into the machine is less than the energy generated by the machine.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DudeNtheRoom
[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"][QUOTE="funsohng"]Because most of the people do not take these sayings literally, but rather take what they actually mean.jeremiah06

So if I took an axe....which is in our world. Then decapitated someone and left thier head and bodies 100 yds aparat for 2 weeks, is it possible to say that the body can then act on its own?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

MrGeezer

That is, to create a machine in which the energy put into the machine is less than the energy generated by the machine.

Assuming the absolute correctness of the second law of thermodynamics, yes. Without that assumption, not necessarily. In order for something to be correctly declared impossible, that which would create a contradiction if paired with it must first be taken as an assumed premise. As such, when one is talking about impossibility, one first needs to cover (if one is being logically rigorous) what one is assuming to be true about the world.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DudeNtheRoom
It's also immpossible to have a baby other than the 2 sexes. Amaphridites don't count. Eventhough they have both sex organs they only have the 2.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Perhaps in this current universe but in a universe where the energy put into the machine is more than the energy generated by the machine and this is considered 100% efficiency then it wouldn't. It is not entirely impossible
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GabuEx

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"] it actually means what it says. I don't think theres any other way of looking at it.DudeNtheRoom

So if I took an axe....which is in our world. Then decapitated someone and left thier head and bodies 100 yds aparat for 2 weeks, is it possible to say that the body can then act on its own?

If this individual had a latent genetic defect that caused his neck to instantly clot and scab over and caused a secondary nervous system sufficient for motor operation of a body to develop elsewhere in his body, then yes. Is this probable? No; however, one would need to illustrate how this suggestion would necessarily lead to an internal contradiction within the universe in order to declare it impossible.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DudeNtheRoom

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"][QUOTE="jeremiah06"] Gabu gave the best answer...GabuEx

If this individual had a latent genetic defect that caused his neck to instantly cauterize and caused a secondary nervous system sufficient for motor operation of a body to develop elsewhere in his body, then yes. Is this probable? No; however, one would need to illustrate how this suggestion would necessarily lead to an internal contradiction within the universe in order to declare it impossible.

The contradiction is that the brain stem is in the head. The head is off. Lets say theres a twin inside the body that has another brain but is not developed yet....like in that really crappy movie. After the 2 weeks, which I said on purpose, the body would have bled all necessary blood and could not function b/c blood is needed in order for you body to operate. Still after that, said brain would have been deprived of oxygen for too long and would have shut down itself.

poseidonwest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 poseidonwest
Member since 2010 • 675 Posts

It's possible that all the water molecules on Earth could spontaneously explode tommorow and blow up the earth due to something in chemistry/physics we haven't figured out yet. But it's highly improbable because of what we do know.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#19 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

jeremiah06
IS that Philosophy I smell?

i smelled it too
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

It's possible that all the water molecules on Earth could spontaneously explode tommorow and blow up the earth due to something in chemistry/physics we haven't figured out yet. But it's highly improbable because of what we do know.

poseidonwest

The universe could just suddenly collapse. A universal constant could suddenly just change. Like that. If the mass of an electron changed everything would be ****ed.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DudeNtheRoom
I think I was being trolled by a mod.........something I did not expect. I thought it was immpossible.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
For every stipulation you add to something there is another way to get around that stipulation. Anything can occur. We exist after all, chances of that happening must be pretty low.
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
It's impossible for a fire-breathing hobbit straight out of Middle-earth to use Jedi powers to create a waterfall made of exploding diapers and candy canes that flows into Jerusalem on Valentine's Day. Explain that one, Gabu. Inb4 use drugs Inb4 overused gif Inb4 pics (probably not applicable)
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ace6301
[QUOTE="-Tish-"]It's impossible for a fire-breathing hobbit straight out of Middle-earth to use Jedi powers to create a waterfall made of exploding diapers and candy canes that flows into Jerusalem on Valentine's Day. Explain that one, Gabu. Inb4 use drugs Inb4 overused gif Inb4 pics (probably not applicable)

You imagined it, perhaps it exists in some way then. Also if all fictional universes were to suddenly exist then this would probably occur.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"] So if I took an axe....which is in our world. Then decapitated someone and left thier head and bodies 100 yds aparat for 2 weeks, is it possible to say that the body can then act on its own?DudeNtheRoom

If this individual had a latent genetic defect that caused his neck to instantly cauterize and caused a secondary nervous system sufficient for motor operation of a body to develop elsewhere in his body, then yes. Is this probable? No; however, one would need to illustrate how this suggestion would necessarily lead to an internal contradiction within the universe in order to declare it impossible.

The contradiction is that the brain stem is in the head. The head is off. Lets say theres a twin inside the body that has another brain but is not developed yet....like in that really crappy movie. After the 2 weeks, which I said on purpose, the body would have bled all necessary blood and could not function b/c blood is needed in order for you body to operate. Still after that, said brain would have been deprived of oxygen for too long and would have shut down itself.

You did not even acknowledge the hypothetical, and proceeded as though I had not presented it at all. The hypothetical is that the individual in question has a genetic defect that causes his neck to scabs over and stop the bleeding instantly, and which resulted in the development of a secondary central nervous system elsewhere in his body that was sufficient to operate basic motor functions in the body. This would enable the individual's head to be separated from the body and yet still allow the body to function. In order to assert that this is impossible, it is incumbent on you to show the way in which this would create a necessary contradiction within the universe.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx

It's impossible for a fire-breathing hobbit straight out of Middle-earth to use Jedi powers to create a waterfall made of exploding diapers and candy canes that flows into Jerusalem on Valentine's Day. Explain that one, Gabu. Inb4 use drugs Inb4 overused gif Inb4 pics (probably not applicable)-Tish-

Not only is that not impossible, it's awesome to boot.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DudeNtheRoom
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

You did not even acknowledge the hypothetical, and proceeded as though I had not presented it at all. The hypothetical is that the individual in question has a genetic defect that causes his neck to scabs over and stop the bleeding instantly, and which resulted in the development of a secondary central nervous system elsewhere in his body that was sufficient to operate basic motor functions in the body. This would enable the individual's head to be separated from the body and yet still allow the body to function. In order to assert that this is impossible, it is incumbent on you to show the way in which this would create a necessary contradiction within the universe.

Well, its immpossible to have a sex organ other than male or female. As I said before having both don't count b/c as they have both there are still only the 2.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ace6301
[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"] The contradiction is that the brain stem is in the head. The head is off. Lets say theres a twin inside the body that has another brain but is not developed yet....like in that really crappy movie. After the 2 weeks, which I said on purpose, the body would have bled all necessary blood and could not function b/c blood is needed in order for you body to operate. Still after that, said brain would have been deprived of oxygen for too long and would have shut down itself.

Well, its immpossible to have a sex organ other than male or female. As I said before having both don't count b/c as they have both there are still only the 2.

Suddenly you have a cloaca.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GabuEx

Well, its immpossible to have a sex organ other than male or female. As I said before having both don't count b/c as they have both there are still only the 2.DudeNtheRoom

There is a race of aliens on the planet Hypothesia. Depending on their genetic material, they secrete from their sexual organs one of three compounds containing one-third of their genetic material. When these three compounds are mixed together, they combine to form a new compound that will then, if left alone, grow into a new member of this alien race. There being three different sexual organs whose secretions are necessary to complete the foundations for a new member of this alien race, there are three different sex organs in this alien race as opposed to only two.

Again, in order to claim that this is impossible, one needs to show how this would create an internal contradiction in the universe.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
It is not possible for me to empty a 12 gauge shotgun into a small, weak child's face at point blank range and have them survive. Discuss.
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DudeNtheRoom

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"]Well, its immpossible to have a sex organ other than male or female. As I said before having both don't count b/c as they have both there are still only the 2.GabuEx

There is a race of aliens on the planet Hypothesia. Depending on their genetic material, they secrete from their sexual organs one of three compounds containing one-third of their genetic material. When these three compounds are mixed together, they combine to form a new compound that will then, if left alone, grow into a new member of this alien race. There being three different sexual organs whose secretions are necessary to complete the foundations for a new member of this alien race, there are three different sex organs in this alien race as opposed to only two.

Again, in order to claim that this is impossible, one needs to show how this would create an internal contradiction in the universe.

It's immpossible for anything to be immpossible.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]It is not possible for me to empty a 12 gauge shotgun into a small, weak child's face at point blank range and have them survive. Discuss. thegerg

Sure it is. If that shotgun is filled with soft-serve ice cream and you allow it to slowly drop into the kids mouth he will be alive and (likely) happy.

No i'm talking ordinary, blow stuff apart shotgun ammo not your made up AWESOME shot gun ammo.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

MrGeezer

Well, sure, with that kind of defeatist attitude :x
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"]Well, its immpossible to have a sex organ other than male or female. As I said before having both don't count b/c as they have both there are still only the 2.DudeNtheRoom

Not true. A square circle is certainly impossible.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GabuEx

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

xaos

Well, sure, with that kind of defeatist attitude :x

Oh God, terrible flashbacks to an argument I had with someone who seriously argued that position. :cry:

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DudeNtheRoom
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Which proves not everything is possible, which is the idea behind the saying. You just disporved it.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="DudeNtheRoom"] It's immpossible for anything to be immpossible.DudeNtheRoom

Which proves not everything is possible, which is the idea behind the saying. You just disporved it.

I was never arguing in favor of that proposition.

Rutzfuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rutzfuz
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts

It is not possible for me to empty a 12 gauge shotgun into a small, weak child's face at point blank range and have them survive. Discuss. Ninja-Hippo
Slugs or buckshot?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]It is not possible for me to empty a 12 gauge shotgun into a small, weak child's face at point blank range and have them survive. Discuss. thegerg

Sure it is. If that shotgun is filled with soft-serve ice cream and you allow it to slowly drop into the kids mouth he will be alive and (likely) happy.

There was a story where a woman got shot point blank in the chest by a AK 47 directly over her heart.. And her average breast implant some how saved her life.. Its a matter of probability...

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="thegerg"]

thegerg

No i'm talking ordinary, blow stuff apart shotgun ammo not your made up AWESOME shot gun ammo.

You didn't specify that. Although, you could empty a regular shotgun load into a kids face without killing him. Simply cycling the shell through the weapon and allowing it to eject onto the kids face won't kill him.

Yes, i'm talking about actually firing the weapon in the conventional manner, with each shot firing and landing successfully on target (ie the small child's face).
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GabuEx

[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] No i'm talking ordinary, blow stuff apart shotgun ammo not your made up AWESOME shot gun ammo. Ninja-Hippo

You didn't specify that. Although, you could empty a regular shotgun load into a kids face without killing him. Simply cycling the shell through the weapon and allowing it to eject onto the kids face won't kill him.

Yes, i'm talking about actually firing the weapon in the conventional manner, with each shot firing and landing successfully on target (ie the small child's face).

Well, in that case, a highly localized wormhole appears just below the surface of the child's skin through which the pellets travel and are ejected into space, and then the wormhole closes. :P

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

"Impossible is a word the weak use to justify failure"

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ninja-Hippo

GabuEx

Well, in that case, a highly localized wormhole appears just below the surface of the child's skin through which the pellets travel and are ejected into space, and then the wormhole closes. :P

:| I mean... Well what if... :cry:
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer

GabuEx

That doesn't count. There's no evidene that wormholes are possible either.

Blaminator1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blaminator1221
Member since 2010 • 455 Posts

There are a lot of things that are not possible. Like survining a nuclear bomb at ground zero.

DudeNtheRoom
You could survive it if you wear some kind of special suit that can't be destroyed by a nuke... Now, how improbable is to design that suit? Very improbable, we are centuries away from that kind of technology, but it's not impossible... See what i mean?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Yes, i'm talking about actually firing the weapon in the conventional manner, with each shot firing and landing successfully on target (ie the small child's face). MrGeezer

When discussing strict impossibilities, the burden of proof is on the one asserting impossibility, who must show that the existence of the allegedly impossible phenomenon would create a contradiction with certain things assumed to be true about the world. The old "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is not a cop-out in this case.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

When discussing strict impossibilities, the burden of proof is on the one asserting impossibility, who must show that the existence of the allegedly impossible phenomenon would create a contradiction with certain things assumed to be true about the world. The old "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is not a cop-out in this case.

The thing is...I didn't say that wormholes were impossible.

Instead, YOU used wormholes as a possible means of debunking someone else's claims of the impossible.

I didn't say that ANYTHING was impossible or impossible. Instead, you decided to invoke wormholes and I pointed out that there's no evidence trhat they are possible.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Well, it's very easy to rationalize the literal interpretation of that quote. Nothing impossible has ever existed or occured, whereas there are plenty of things that are improbable.