Why do black women straighten their hair?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iDjTbxQA_sg/TdW44VDmOYI/AAAAAAAABA0/oeYcMqref5U/s1600/biracialbbw.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-87Giqv0tlbg/TxbJqdfrTuI/AAAAAAAABSA/2XYULEdMiVo/s1600/Tracee_Ellis_Ross_077.jpg http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z-pbE5vcGaw/TKv74Bwy0CI/AAAAAAAABRk/gTazV2_W_sc/s1600/TXIMG_00033.jpg I just find it so much more attractive when it's all curly and stuff. We've got too many straight-haired women. Let's see some variety.
zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

Not all do. It's a hair preference, just like me being bald. People ask me "Why are you bald at such a young age?" Because I like it that way. I like so spice up my hair. Perhaps when I'm 40 I'll let it grow.

I do agree with you, though. I like black girls with frizzy hair. It looks like a puscy.

Mink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mink
Member since 2005 • 1794 Posts
I'm a black woman, but my dad had straight hair and mine turned out more like his than my mother's who had regular black people hair, I don't have much relaxer experience myself but I spent a lot of salon time around her and other chicks with that hair type, they do it because it's generally easier to manage once it's done. Hair types vary, and every girl's hair isn't going to loosen up the way it does in those photos, it'll just thicken back up unless you just nuke it and go all the way. It's complicated although relaxers hurt a lot since it basically burns your hair straight. But I guess it's just whatever that person prefers, it's no set standard.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
because they want their hair looks like a real hair...... not armpit hair
Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

because they want their hair looks like a real hair...... not armpit hairhippiesanta

Yes curly hair is not so attractive for a woman. I don't find most women with curly hair so attractive.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

None of the women in the photos you posted, TC, are full (i.e. real Black people). They're all mixed-race, which is why their hair looks the way it does. Here's a tip for you: a real Black person looks African, just as a real White person looks European, or just as a real Oriental person looks Oriental. You get me? No one would call a person who's only part White or only part Asian, White or Asian, respectively. Likewise, no one should call a person who's only part Black, Black as if they're entirely Black. To do so would be foolish. If that's the kind of hair you like, then I don't think you'll like pure, unadulterated Black people's hair (i.e. the real stuff), which I have. It's coarse and very, very curly.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

None of the women in the photos you posted, TC, are full (i.e. real Black people). They're all mixed-race, which is why their hair looks the way it does. Here's a tip for you: a real Black person looks African, just as a real White person looks European, or just as a real Oriental person looks Oriental. You get me? No one would call a person who's only part White or only part Asian, White or Asian, respectively. Likewise, no one should call a person who's only part Black, Black as if they're entirely Black. To do so would be foolish. If that's the kind of hair you like, then I don't think you'll like pure, unadulterated Black people's hair (i.e. the real stuff), which I have. It's coarse and very, very curly.

BluRayHiDef

Then explain the millions of people who keep saying Barack Obama is our first black president.

I prefer to think of him as continuing our long line of white presidents. It's equally valid. :P

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MetalDogGear

BluRayHiDef
First off, Real black people? Just because they're biracial doesn't mean that that's not their heritage. It's part of theirs just as much as their other half is part of their identity. It's like a strawberry banana smoothie, some smoothies have only strawberries, some only bananas, and some both. But you wouldn't dare say that that blended smoothie doesn't have strawberries, just as much as bananas. Second of all, "Pure" africans can have that kind of hair as well. Your own narrow experience doesn't exclude those with that hair http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/images/aveda-be-curly-hair-product-21313725.jpg
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

LongZhiZi

Then explain the millions of people who keep saying Barack Obama is our first black president.

I prefer to think of him as continuing our long line of white presidents. It's equally valid. :P

People can call a rock a glass of water if they want, but that doesn't make it so.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

People can call a rock a glass of water if they want, but that doesn't make it so.

Your analogy is false A rock isn't a liquid and vice versa Neither of the two contain common properties.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hippiesanta
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] First off, Real black people?

here ... oprah winfrey
HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
Because they don't like the frizz? Some people end up with an awkward in between...easier to manage? Aesthetic reasons?
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
Why do white women tan? Why do asian women get eye lid surger? Why do indian and arab women use fairness creams?
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Many black women believe that in order for then to be accepted/hired in the work place they have to have straight hair. I have heard young black women say that they wouldn't hire another woman with more natural hair cause its no professional. Likewise many black men feel pressured to completely shave their facial hair in order to get hired. Im am biracial and I can tell you from experience that I resist frequently close shaving because the coarseness of my hair leave me prone to razor bumps and ingrown hairs. So i generally just trim my facial hair weekly. And thankfully my profession has a pretty loose standards for grooming (software engineering).

But black women have a a lot pressure on them and their hair,much of that pressure comes from their own pairs. Just looks at gabby douglas. Black gymnast, in the olympics, while playing a sport, other black women were criticizing her hair on twitter/internet. If you ever want to understand more about this check out a movie called Good Hair by Chris Rock, its not a comedy but a documentary he did inspired by his daughters. It will open your mind to the depths of this issue.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#15 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

It's easier to style and maintain.

Champo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Champo9
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
They want to... Also our society is racist.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Many black women believe that in order for then to be accepted/hired in the work place they have to have straight hair. I have heard young black women say that they wouldn't hire another woman with more natural hair cause its no professional. Likewise many black men feel pressured to completely shave their facial hair in order to get hired. Im am biracial and I can tell you from experience that I resist frequently close shaving because the coarseness of my hair leave me prone to razor bumps and ingrown hairs. So i generally just trim my facial hair weekly. And thankfully my profession has a pretty loose standards for grooming (software engineering).

But black women have a a lot pressure on them and their hair,much of that pressure comes from their own pairs. Just looks at gabby douglas. Black gymnast, in the olympics, while playing a sport, other black women were criticizing her hair on twitter/internet. If you ever want to understand more about this check out a movie called Good Hair by Chris Rock, its not a comedy but a documentary he did inspired by his daughters. It will open your mind to the depths of this issue.Diablo-B

completely agree, I have that movie, it is pretty funny.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Some have more curly hair, some have less. It is still a personal choice as to how curly or straight one wants their hair to be.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Straight hair looks awesome on women when it's done properly.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] First off, Real black people?

here ... oprah winfrey

You and Blu-ray's minds have been poisoned with the idea that somehow one shade of black is darker than the others (metaphorically speaking) This notion of authentic blackness is what creates such antipathy between Africans and African Americans today The black community is one of the most segregated and divided communities in the world. Barack obama is just as black as you And he is also just as white as any other white person He has two sides of the coin, both heritages. There's no such thing as authentic blackness, at least among people with enough african heritage. Stop this "Blacker than thou" complex crap
FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FreddyJeffery
Member since 2013 • 164 Posts
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

they can do whatever they want. i do prefer natural hair on black women, done up yes, but natural. no pressure though.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] First off, Real black people? MetalDogGear
here ... oprah winfrey

You and Blu-ray's minds have been poisoned with the idea that somehow one shade of black is darker than the others (metaphorically speaking) This notion of authentic blackness is what creates such antipathy between Africans and African Americans today The black community is one of the most segregated and divided communities in the world. Barack obama is just as black as you And he is also just as white as any other white person He has two sides of the coin, both heritages. There's no such thing as authentic blackness, at least among people with enough african heritage. Stop this "Blacker than thou" complex crap

Bollocks. How can Barack Obama be as Black as a fully Black person if he's literally only fifty percent Black? My reasoning is objective, so you can cut back on the social issues of the Black community; they don't change anything. The fact of the matter is that from a biological standpoint, a fully Black person and a partially Black person are different, just as a mut dog is different from a pure breed. Me and Barack Obama are not the same. Period.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Nothing wrong with a perm and wrap every once in a while
FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FreddyJeffery

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="hippiesanta"] here ... oprah winfrey  BluRayHiDef

Bollocks. How can Barack Obama be as Black as a fully Black person if he's literally only fifty percent Black? My reasoning is objective, so you can cut back on the social issues of the Black community; they don't change anything. The fact of the matter is that from a biological standpoint, a fully Black person and a partially Black person are different, just as a mut dog is different from a pure breed. Me and Barack Obama are not the same. Period.

Just because the mom is white and the dad is black does not objectively mean 50%, Obama could be 76% black for all you know. If he is 75%, and they can test these things btw, and it's true, it's over 50% making him practically black. He does not look 50% black to me in anyway.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] You and Blu-ray's minds have been poisoned with the idea that somehow one shade of black is darker than the others (metaphorically speaking) This notion of authentic blackness is what creates such antipathy between Africans and African Americans today The black community is one of the most segregated and divided communities in the world. Barack obama is just as black as you And he is also just as white as any other white person He has two sides of the coin, both heritages. There's no such thing as authentic blackness, at least among people with enough african heritage. Stop this "Blacker than thou" complex crapFreddyJeffery

Just because the mom is white and the dad is black does not objectively mean 50%, Obama could be 76% black for all you know. If he is 75%, and they can test these things btw, and it's true, it's over 50% making him practically black. He does not look 50% black to me in anyway.

Black people originated in Subsaharan West Africa, and spread eastward and southward on the continent. Pure blooded or nearly pure blooded people who descend from these original Black people do not look like Barack Obama. The equitorial African sun would wreak havoc on his skin.

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FreddyJeffery

[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

Black people originated in Subsaharan West Africa, and spread eastward and southward on the continent. Pure blooded or nearly pure blooded people who descend from these original Black people do not look like Barack Obama. The equitorial African sun would wreak havoc on his skin.

Now Black People originated in West Africa? Where are you getting this?
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] Just because the mom is white and the dad is black does not objectively mean 50%, Obama could be 76% black for all you know. If he is 75%, and they can test these things btw, and it's true, it's over 50% making him practically black. He does not look 50% black to me in anyway.FreddyJeffery

Now Black People originated in West Africa? Where are you getting this?

yeah i thought it was east africa that the first modern humans (who were presumably dark skinned) came from?

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="hippiesanta"] here ... oprah winfrey  BluRayHiDef

Actually you are wrong. Black is a racial group shaped by their experiences not their skin tone or genes
Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ernesto_basic
Member since 2002 • 2123 Posts

Call me crazy, but I'm guessing it's because SOME black women like the way it looks (you know, like how SOME white women like to curl their hair) :P

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
first of all those girls you posted arent even black... especially the first one.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
first of all those girls you posted arent even black... especially the first one.Nengo_Flow
Why cause they're light skin,they still black
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BluRayHiDef

first of all those girls you posted arent even black... especially the first one.Nengo_Flow
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FreddyJeffery
Here you go:
Floridaman46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Floridaman46
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

Why do Black Women lay out in the Sun?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nengo_Flow
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]first of all those girls you posted arent even black... especially the first one.FreddyJeffery
Here you go:

see thats black
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hippiesanta

Why do Black Women lay out in the Sun?

Floridaman46
oh my goat ..... I've lol maybe they want to feel "being accepted"
MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Alright, two reasons: 1. Easier to manage. 2. They don't want to be labeled as someone who lives in the projects. Or under the poverty line, whichever you want to call it. And black women if anything they are criticized on by other black women is their hair. Remember when that black teen gymnast got criticized about her hair? I bet all my money it was a group of black women doing the insults.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Society makes it seem like straight hair is the norm so that's why they're willing to spend hundreds of dollars at the beauty salon for it.

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FreddyJeffery

Society makes it seem like straight hair is the norm so that's why they're willing to spend hundreds of dollars at the beauty salon for it.

soulless4now
Al you need is that $15 hair straghtener. it;s not that hard to striaghten hair whithin the last decade and i spelled straighten wrong twice already lol.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soulless4now
[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

FreddyJeffery
Al you need is that $15 hair straghtener. it;s not that hard to striaghten hair whithin the last decade and i spelled straighten wrong twice already lol.

Not good enough for some women. I'm also talking about the cost of weaves which can cost a few hundreds of dollars depending on what kind of hair is being used.
FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FreddyJeffery
[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"]

soulless4now

Not good enough for some women. I'm also talking about the cost of weaves which can cost a few hundreds of dollars depending on what kind of hair is being used.

Weave?
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Many black women believe that in order for then to be accepted/hired in the work place they have to have straight hair. I have heard young black women say that they wouldn't hire another woman with more natural hair cause its no professional. Diablo-B

that's a terrible attitude to have.

If the hair was unkempt that'd be one thing, but if it's clean and tidy I can't see any problem.

I like curly hair and fros. It can look amazing.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 soulless4now
[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"][QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] Al you need is that $15 hair straghtener. it;s not that hard to striaghten hair whithin the last decade and i spelled straighten wrong twice already lol.

Weave?

Fake hair added into real hair.
FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FreddyJeffery
[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"]Not good enough for some women. I'm also talking about the cost of weaves which can cost a few hundreds of dollars depending on what kind of hair is being used. soulless4now
Weave?

I know what you're saying but I have never seen straight haired black women with it.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 soulless4now
[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"][QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] Weave?

I know what you're saying but I have never seen straight haired black women with it.

The weave is the straight hair. You would have to look closely at the scalp to tell if he's real or fake, but sometimes you can tell right away if it doesn't look natural and it's too Barbie doll like.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nengo_Flow
[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"][QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] Weave?

lol are you for real right now? 99% of the time a black woman with straight hair is wearing a weave. Which is why it looks straighten. Pretty much all the time straight hair on a black woman = weave. Natural black hair doesnt stay straighten for more than half a day, a weave last longer.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#49 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"]Fake hair added into real hair.Nengo_Flow

lol are you for real right now? 99% of the time a black woman with straight hair is wearing a weave. Which is why it looks straighten. Pretty much all the time straight hair on a black woman = weave. Natural black hair doesnt stay straighten for more than half a day, a weave last longer.

No actually it doesn't. My sister and a few of the female members of the family have naturally long hair that straightens well. They don't need weave. Also, if you take care of your hair, don't get it wet, and wrap it up at night, you're hair can stay straightened and nice for about 5-7 days.

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FreddyJeffery
[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="soulless4now"]Fake hair added into real hair.soulless4now

The weave is the straight hair. You would have to look closely at the scalp to tell if he's real or fake, but sometimes you can tell right away if it doesn't look natural and it's too Barbie doll like.

Not all people need weaves to have straight hair. You do realize that right? Heck, you can get straight hair for a few days before even needing to redo it. No weave required.