Why aren't gun-lovers lobbying for the right to own rocket launchers?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

If you're gonna defend yourself against a tyrannical government in this day and age, then you should have the right to own the weapons necessary to destroy tanks and fighter jets.

#3 Posted by comp_atkins (31328 posts) -
where's my personal missile defense system??!?
#4 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Rocket launchers are legal; they simply require the right paperwork.

How do you think St. Augustine(Castillo de San Marcos) still uses Cannons daily? Construction crew use TNT too, so explosives are legal.

#5 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Because I'm sure they are already legal to own, you just need the proper permits. They just cost a small fortune (not including the ammunition). Edit: *shakes fist at fightingfan*
#6 Posted by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

Because I'm sure they are already legal to own, you just need the proper permits. They just cost a small fortune (not including the ammunition). Edit: *shakes fist at fightingfan*Zeviander
I wonder what it's like to take one of those things to a firing range, I wonder if the people nearby get shocked at the noise.

#7 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

How do you think St. Augustine(Castillo de San Marcos) still uses Cannons daily? Construction crew use TNT too, so explosives are legal.

Fightingfan

You can't have a rocket launcher that's loaded.

#8 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
I play with my rocket launcher everyday.
#9 Posted by MrPraline (21321 posts) -
Owning a rocket launcher + indefinite detention of "suspected" "terrorists" that seems awfully dangerous
#10 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
You can't have a rocket launcher that's loaded.Chickity_China
Guess that rules out SMAWs.
#11 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Chickity_China

Who's gonna make me unload it if I have one loaded?

#13 Posted by Wasdie (49745 posts) -

Dumb question, but those kind of this are technically legal, you just need the proper permits (just like fully automatic weapons).

The issue with explosives, especially military grade high explosives, isn't their use against other people, it's the proper storage and handling of such explosives. You can't just lock the up in a gun safe in your garage like you can with ammunition.

There is a reasonable level of control on harmful devices that we exercise on a daily basis in the interest of public safety. Modern ammunition and modern firearms do not just randomly go off. It's been declared safe to store locally, thus we can buy and sell them without having to have rigorous permits.

#14 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Dumb question, but those kind of this are technically legal, you just need the proper permits (just like fully automatic weapons).

The issue with explosives, especially military grade high explosives, isn't their use against other people, it's the proper storage and handling of such explosives. You can't just lock the up in a gun safe in your garage like you can with ammunition.

Wasdie
That's what I'd assume as well; you would probably have to prove you have the means to store the explosions safely.
#15 Posted by thegerg (15030 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Chickity_China

Yes you can, as you have the proper permits, paperwork, taxstamps, background checks, etc.. Stop spreading misinformation. Ignorance FTL.
#16 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -
I want access to every weapon the government has.
#17 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Fightingfan

Who's gonna make me unload it if I have one loaded?

You're breaking the law and paying a hefty fine or serving jail time, as with anyone who breaks the law.

#18 Posted by Wasdie (49745 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Fightingfan

That's what I'd assume as well; you would probably have to prove you have the means to store the explosions safely.

Yeah, that red tape costs a boat load of money. So much so that the average person does not have the means to aquire them.

#19 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

thegerg

Yes you can, as you have the proper permits, paperwork, taxstamps, background checks, etc.. Stop spreading misinformation. Ignorance FTL.

And the money to pay hundreds of dollars per round and the patience to wait up to half a year just for your order of rockets to come in right? I'm sure you can all afford that luxury during a revolution. Why not make rockets as easy to buy as bullets? That's what we all need.

#20 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

Chickity_China

And the money to pay hundreds of dollars per round and the patience to wait up to half a year just for your order of rockets to come in right? I'm sure you can all afford that luxury during a revolution. Why not make rockets as easy to buy as bullets? That's what we all need.

It doesn't matter if we can't afford em, or if they're hard to obtain, it's having the legal right to obtain such things. I can't afford a Ferrari, lets ban Ferraris and give everyone a Toyota Corolla.
#21 Posted by thegerg (15030 posts) -

Chickity_China

Stop moving the goalposts. You're attempting to spread misinformation (either that or you're simply ignorant yourself) to other users in order to make some kind of point. It's childish and dishonest.
#22 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Yes you can, as you have the proper permits, paperwork, taxstamps, background checks, etc.. Stop spreading misinformation. Ignorance FTL.Fightingfan

It doesn't matter if we can't afford em, or if they're hard to obtain, it's having the legal right to obtain such things. I can't afford a Ferrari, lets ban Ferraris and give everyone a Toyota Corolla.

They why are gun-lovers getting all up in arms over the new gun regulations making firearms harder to optain?

#23 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Yes you can, as you have the proper permits, paperwork, taxstamps, background checks, etc.. Stop spreading misinformation. Ignorance FTL.thegerg

Stop moving the goalposts. You're attempting to spread misinformation (either that or you're simply ignorant yourself) to other users in order to make some kind of point. It's childish and dishonest.

Stop avoiding the question.

#24 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Yes you can, as you have the proper permits, paperwork, taxstamps, background checks, etc.. Stop spreading misinformation. Ignorance FTL.Fightingfan

They why are gun-lovers getting all up in arms over the new gun regulations making firearms harder to optain?

#25 Posted by thegerg (15030 posts) -

Chickity_China

Which question? "And the money to pay hundreds of dollars per round and the patience to wait up to half a year just for your order of rockets to come in right?" That's not even a complete thought. Try constructing a real question. "Why not make rockets as easy to buy as bullets?" Because there are fewer of them available, and there is less of a demand. Making them easier to buy would artificially deflate their price, screwing over their owner. It would also be just plain silly from an economics standpoint. Flooding the market with something for which there is so little demand is pointless. I suggest that you take an introduction to economics course.
#26 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Stop moving the goalposts. You're attempting to spread misinformation (either that or you're simply ignorant yourself) to other users in order to make some kind of point. It's childish and dishonest.thegerg

Which question? "And the money to pay hundreds of dollars per round and the patience to wait up to half a year just for your order of rockets to come in right?" That's not even a complete thought. Try constructing a real question. "Why not make rockets as easy to buy as bullets?" Because there are fewer of them available, and there is less of a demand. Making them easier to buy would artificially deflate their price, screwing over their owner. It would also be just plain silly from an economics standpoint. Flooding the market with something for which there is so little demand is pointless. I suggest that you take an introduction to economics course.

If there's low demand, the price would be low. You take an econ 101 course. Lol.

#27 Posted by jackfruitchips (1066 posts) -

I need teh missile launcher

#28 Posted by thegerg (15030 posts) -

Chickity_China

If there's low demand, the price would be low. You take an econ 101 course. Lol.

The demand is low, but so is the supply. Thus, the price is still high.
#29 Posted by MrPraline (21321 posts) -

Chickity_China

Not if there's almost no to no supply.
#30 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -

If you're gonna defend yourself against a tyrannical government in this day and age, then you should have the right to own the weapons necessary to destroy tanks and fighter jets.

Chickity_China

When the government comes to take our freedom and weapons we won't need rocket launchers, tecnology, or anti air defenses to destroy military vehicles all we need is a rifle, because holding a rifle turns you into the perfect mix of Arnold/Stollone/Reb Brown. They will rip tanks apart with their teeth because their hands will of course be duel wielding and mowing down the government lackies.

Other answer

Bows to fire sticks of dynamite

#31 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
What with all these helicopters crashing I feel the need to defend my property. I demand the right to own a fully functioning Centurion C-Ram as well as a hand held FIM-92 Stinger anti-air missile launcher. Also death rays. They say they don't exist yet but I know they do and I want one.
#32 Posted by sonicare (53458 posts) -

Because the guy with the rocket launcher is always the team killer. Always.

#33 Posted by TheHighWind (3778 posts) -

Haven't you been to the movie theatre and it tells you to turn off all bazookas until after the movie?

#34 Posted by Storm_Marine (10826 posts) -

The Taliban are doing a pretty damn good job keeping the US military at bay and they don't have tanks or jets or missile systems.....

#35 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -
legalize nukes
#36 Posted by lamprey263 (23495 posts) -
well, if you really believe that the 2nd amendment is to protect yourself from government tyranny you should be lobbying for rocket launchers, I mean the government and their enforcers of oppression have armored vehicles so anti-tyranny freedom fighters are going to need something that packs a punch
#37 Posted by VoodooHak (15981 posts) -

The Taliban are doing a pretty damn good job keeping the US military at bay and they don't have tanks or jets or missile systems.....

Storm_Marine

And the Afghanis made it real hard for the Soviets... as much as the North Vietnamese made it hard for the US.

#38 Posted by thegerg (15030 posts) -
well, if you really believe that the 2nd amendment is to protect yourself from government tyranny you should be lobbying for rocket launchers, I mean the government and their enforcers of oppression have armored vehicles so anti-tyranny freedom fighters are going to need something that packs a punchlamprey263
Who are you to tell others for what they should lobby? Let others lobby for what they wish, it's not up to you, kiddo.
#39 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Which question? "And the money to pay hundreds of dollars per round and the patience to wait up to half a year just for your order of rockets to come in right?" That's not even a complete thought. Try constructing a real question. "Why not make rockets as easy to buy as bullets?" Because there are fewer of them available, and there is less of a demand. Making them easier to buy would artificially deflate their price, screwing over their owner. It would also be just plain silly from an economics standpoint. Flooding the market with something for which there is so little demand is pointless. I suggest that you take an introduction to economics course. MrPraline

So the demand is low then. Why is demand so low when it's in the best interest of Americans to arm themselves against a government that has the most advanced military in the world at it's disposal?
#40 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]well, if you really believe that the 2nd amendment is to protect yourself from government tyranny you should be lobbying for rocket launchers, I mean the government and their enforcers of oppression have armored vehicles so anti-tyranny freedom fighters are going to need something that packs a punchthegerg
Who are you to tell others for what they should lobby? Let others lobby for what they wish, it's not up to you, kiddo.

That's why gun lobbyists are idiots.
#41 Posted by thegerg (15030 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Which question? "And the money to pay hundreds of dollars per round and the patience to wait up to half a year just for your order of rockets to come in right?" That's not even a complete thought. Try constructing a real question. "Why not make rockets as easy to buy as bullets?" Because there are fewer of them available, and there is less of a demand. Making them easier to buy would artificially deflate their price, screwing over their owner. It would also be just plain silly from an economics standpoint. Flooding the market with something for which there is so little demand is pointless. I suggest that you take an introduction to economics course. MrPraline

He seems to have a bad habit of posting about things of which he is quite ignorant.
#42 Posted by sonicare (53458 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]well, if you really believe that the 2nd amendment is to protect yourself from government tyranny you should be lobbying for rocket launchers, I mean the government and their enforcers of oppression have armored vehicles so anti-tyranny freedom fighters are going to need something that packs a punchChickity_China

I wouldnt say they are idiots. Far from it - given how powerful their lobby is.
#43 Posted by VoodooHak (15981 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="Chickity_China"]

Chickity_China

So the demand is low then. Why is demand so low when it's in the best interest of Americans to arm themselves against a government that has the most advanced military in the world at it's disposal?

As has been explained a couple times already, the facilities and resources needed to properly store and dispose of these things is a huge barrier to entry. Firearms and firearm ammo is just more practical.

Then again, I don't complain about the people that are able to own them legally.

#44 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7775 posts) -
Arms are interpreted differently by everyone. Obviously hundreds of pounds of C4 is different than a pistol. Think its mainly the problem when it comes to the issue of the second amendment, people have differing opinions on what constitutes a reasonable 'arm' to possess.
#45 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Chickity_China"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Who are you to tell others for what they should lobby? Let others lobby for what they wish, it's not up to you, kiddo.

I wouldnt say they are idiots. Far from it - given how powerful their lobby is.

Just because there are a lot of them doesn't mean they're not idiots.
#46 Posted by Chickity_China (2322 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chickity_China"][QUOTE="MrPraline"] Not if there's almost no to no supply.VoodooHak

As has been explained a couple times already, the facilities and resources needed to properly store and dispose of these things is a huge barrier to entry. Firearms and firearm ammo is just more practical.

Then again, I don't complain about the people that are able to own them legally.

Try destroying a tank or shooting down a fighter jet with an AR15 then we can discuss practical.
#47 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4286 posts) -

i want my own f16. i am guns pro but not for the insane reasons some people give ie. fight against government

#48 Posted by thegerg (15030 posts) -

i want my own f16. i am guns pro but not for the insane reasons some people give ie. fight against government

ghostwarrior786
Haha. I fail to see why person defense is insane, but OK.
#49 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -
where's my personal missile defense system??!?comp_atkins