Why are the forums filled with spammers?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By alcatraz5953
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

It doesn't matter which forum category you look in (except general sports discussion because nobody goes there), you will find some idiot posting a link to a site where you can watch free movies. Not just one post, multiple posts from multiple users.

Does Gamespot not monitor these things? Or is that not considered spam to them? I find it incredibly irritating, I don't want to see a page full of stupid blogs about free movies, I actually want to see what the community has to say. I don't want to have to go through 5 pages to find a decent topic because of all the spam.

Or am I the only one that feels this way??

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

It's an ongoing epidemic that's been affecting this site for quite some time. Best I can suggest is to "flag" the ones you know are spam. Eventually, the mods will get to removing/locking them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I don't understand spam bots. Does anyone actually follow those links?

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By jimy1475
Member since 2008 • 1228 Posts

yup you new here, there was a huge revamp for this site so this is not going the right way for a long time, i think the problem is that you can sign up with google twitter acount and thats were the most spams come from

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

@toast_burner said:

I always wondered that myself :/

And as before mentioned just flag the post and move on, someone will get to it eventually.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

It is quite annoying.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It is an issue we have been combating.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts
@jeager_titan said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: @solidruss: Gamespot should implement a system like they do in system wars. Needing atleast 25 posts to create a topic.

That would be unfortunate for some users.For example , when I first joined Gamespot community ,my sole aim was to seek help for my YLODing PS3.Had that rule applied ,I would've most likely lost my hard-gained PS3 !

I mean , if I had had to make 25 post before creating a topic explaining my problem with the console ,I would've just left the place immediately and I would've never found out the cure for my dying beloved console ! (which was thermal compound :D )

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

spammers aren't exclusive to GameSpot, any site that has forums has to deal with them.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 elkoldo
@solidruss said:

@toast_burner said:

And as before mentioned just flag the post and move on, someone will get to it eventually.

Gotta be honest with you , sometimes when there's a football match ,which I can't watch on TV ,I get tempted to follow the the links ,but I've actually never seen video streaming.It's just smoke and mirrors.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

spammers aren't exclusive to GameSpot, any site that has forums has to deal with them.

But my guess is that it deals with them way better than GS does. I mean I would flag a spam topic just to come back hours after and find it still lingering in the front page of OT.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@elkoldo said:
@solidruss said:

@toast_burner said:

Gotta be honest with you , sometimes when there's a football match ,which I can't watch on TV ,I get tempted to follow the the links ,but I've actually never seen video streaming.It's just smoke and mirrors.

If you need a link for the World Cup PM me and then you can tell us whether it was just smoke and mirrors.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By elkoldo
@Master_Live said:

@elkoldo said:
@solidruss said:

@toast_burner said:

If you need a link for the World Cup PM me and then you can tell us whether it was just smoke and mirrors.

No ,fortunately TV shows all of the WC matches.I meant some of La Liga matches or Champions League matches which TV ,annoyingly , just doesn't broadcast around here.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Allicrombie said:

But my guess is that it deals with them way better than GS does. I mean I would flag a spam topic just to come back hours after and find it still lingering in the front page of OT.

Mods are volunteers after all, we have lives too. =P

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

@GazaAli said:

@Allicrombie said:

Certainly I don't blame you guys, I blame GS's staff instead. They need to come up with something to combat this issue properly and that might involve tweaking their mods crew.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

They seem to been horrible after the site revamp. Isn't updating supposed to make it better? It shouldn't be totally up to the mods to delete posts after made. Something should be done to stop the post/bot to begging with.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#18 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

@GazaAli said:

@Allicrombie said:

We need you more though. :P

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@solidruss said:

@toast_burner said:

It's called backlinking. When a link is on a web page and points to another page, the page that is being pointed towards gets a higher search engine ranking position. The spamming is obviously automated, so some person is just pushing a single button to generate hundreds, if not thousands of these posts across various forums. Our forum isn't being specifically targeted, our forum is just in a list of hundreds (or thousands). It doesn't even matter how effective it is for them to spam our forum, even if it's ineffective, it takes more work to remove this forum from their spam list as opposed to keep spamming it.

The program they use specifically is called Scrapebox, or a much more expensive variation of it (XRumer)

Some basic internet 101 for you guys. Moderators at least should definitely know this stuff :)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yup it's been a noticeable issue ever since the rehaul of the site and it's pissing me off.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Maybe GS needs to recruit some more mods. I understand that mods have lives too, only it's weird that almost all of them remembered that right after the site redesign. I don't remember things being so bad before that. At least we still got Alli, Hallenbeck and some others to stand up for and guard us from the evil spammers.

@alcatraz5953 said:
I don't want to have to go through 5 pages to find a decent topic because of all the spam.

ok this is an exaggeration :P

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I'm up really late until 4:30 am and maybe 5 am MT getting rid of spambots most of the time now so if any users are also up at that time just flag the posts and I may look in the queue for the flagged spam posts/threads.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Is there any sort of max number of posts required to make threads? Something like that would surely help.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

They're most likely bots but some could be human spammers.

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts

Yeah. That ticks me off as well and gets annoying. I'm just here in the dark trying to watch the new Transformers Movie [2014 1080p BLU-RAY] at this www.movies4free.gov@yahoo.com/free/premium/.net.co.uk (you just need to register) and these spammers come up while I try to browse www.gamespot.com.

Download for free at: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/why-are-the-forums-filled-with-spammers-31417360/

Wistful_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wistful_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Maybe a CAPTCHA will help a little? Only when making a thread you have to successfully pass through one of those annoying boxes.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

the spam bots are everywhere

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 alcatraz5953

@Wistful_Gamer: I think CAPTCHA is a great idea

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@BranKetra said:

It is an issue we have been combating.

Not well enough, apparently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Wistful_Gamer said:

Maybe a CAPTCHA will help a little? Only when making a thread you have to successfully pass through one of those annoying boxes.

This is a good idea. Also another good idea would be to bring back the more detailed reporting system. On the force we don't give every incident the same radio call-sign. Some are domestic disturbances, some are traffic incidents, welfare checks, gun crimes, etc. If everything was given the same call-sign(as the GameSpot system currently works by just marking things as "flagged") we'd never be able to prioritize anything.

Well, I can't really judge this website too much. They've never been known for being too intelligent. Just having heavy-handed moderators.

Realistically, though, the team that actually works on the website doesn't read the forums. The same goes for the staff members that are given positions related to community management. So this thread will fall on deaf ears, as usual. How the heck can you have a position dealing with the community yet you never actually talk to the community? Would kind of be like having Oscar the Grouch start walking beats without a lick of training beforehand. Makes absolutely no sense.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Hey guys, let me be the mod that cleans up our forums.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@dave123321 said:

Dave for Mod 2014.

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By alcatraz5953
@airshocker said:

@dave123321 said:

Dave for Mod 2014.

Dave has my vote too - he will be in charge of all spam related issues. We shall call him....The Spaminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

We need someone with a sense of humor as a mod. To balance out BranK being so...uptight. I could have gone further but he gets off modding me. Which surprises me because he doesn't seem like the kind of person that would get off on anything.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@alcatraz5953 said:

That would be a bitch. But if it solved the spam problem 100%...sigh...I might support it (not that my support counts for anything :P).

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dave123321

A capcha and one of those nifty puzzle maze games

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dave123321

As a mod, I would see the lessons that can be learned from letting our users have playground level fights and the beauty of letting other users judge the fighters. Too often I see threads locked because people have devolved into shitting the place up. Let us get dirty and stew in our shit.

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By alcatraz5953

@dave123321: I personally would love to judge the keyboard warriors - there are very few things in this world better than sitting back, relaxing and watching a good ol fashioned forum fight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Change we can believe in!

zanelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#40 zanelli  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

I'm awake now and I've brought my hammer. If you spot any spam I've missed, flag it and I'll blow it out of the water.

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 alcatraz5953

Let the flagging begin

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@alcatraz5953 said:

That would be a bitch. But if it solved the spam problem 100%...sigh...I might support it (not that my support counts for anything :P).

It does nothing to solve spam. By supporting CAPTCHA, you're supporting nothing more than your own inconvenience. Every forum-spam program comes with an anti-captcha. I mean, how do you think the spam forum accounts were made in the first place?

The best solution, as previously stated, is to place a restriction on thread-starting. In my opinion, you should have a minimum of 50 posts before you can start a thread. Sounds simple, smart, effective.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#43  Edited By TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Requiring a certain amount of posts to start a thread would be inconvenient for those who joins just to ask a simply question and may also turn off legitimate posters from joining. For that reason, I wouldn't support such an idea.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#44 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@super600 said:

I'm up really late until 4:30 am and maybe 5 am MT getting rid of spambots most of the time now so if any users are also up at that time just flag the posts and I may look in the queue for the flagged spam posts/threads.

You great assistance is very much appreciated. You should really not need to do that.

Wistful_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wistful_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Another idea is that any thread with external links must be approved by a mod before being posted (whitelist the famous most-used websites). This will probably cause some inconvenience to the mods, but it'll help reduce the spam threads. A very quick look at a thread will be enough to determine whether it's a spam or not.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By super600  Moderator

@BranKetra said:

@super600 said:

You great assistance is very much appreciated. You should really not need to do that.

I sleep until 1pm MT usually now a days since I don't do much now a days I wouldn't be doing this every night lol. Only on nights I can handle staying up. I usually stay up until 3:30am for Ramadan anyway.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By super600  Moderator
@BranKetra said:

@super600 said:

I wake up late now a days. I'm talking a month break since I just finished summer school and I don't really want to do much during ramadan.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By super600  Moderator

@Wistful_Gamer said:

Another idea is that any thread with external links must be approved by a mod before being posted (whitelist the famous most-used websites). This will probably cause some inconvenience to the mods, but it'll help reduce the spam threads. A very quick look at a thread will be enough to determine whether it's a spam or not.

What happens if the links are broken or link back to this site like some of the spam threads I noticed recently? Spambots will probably find a way to circumvent this restriction easily.And that will require a lot of work to implement especially on more active boards like SW.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#49 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Do moderators look like site engineers that can be here 24/7?

Anyways I agree with what you guys have said. Its not like other moderators don't agree with it, its just that we can't do much other than purge threads when we see them. I cleaned OT the other day from left over spam that was not seen. I check. :(

Do you guys want me to move this to bugs and feedback?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Because you touch yourself at night.