Why are some people so afraid of the government?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Atheists_Pwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Atheists_Pwn
Member since 2010 • 1610 Posts
Some dont want equality, so theyll say anything to make sure people cant have it.
dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

the way i see it, The people shouldn't fear its government, the government should fear its people. and yes that's a V for vendetta quote. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Some dont want equality, so theyll say anything to make sure people cant have it.Atheists_Pwn

I disagree. Most people want equality. What we don't want is to be knocked down a peg in order to attain it. Someone who works hard to get where they are shouldn't be punished in order to make everyone equal.

bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

because glenn beck and rush limbaugh tell them

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts
1984, I don't buy it, but I think there is a fear of something like this going on one day. To some extent anyway, and btw, I'm not putting down Orwell, I love the book 1984 and Animal Farm. They are two of my favorites.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

To be scared of a government of your own country is a sign that your government won and you lost. As a libertarian, I perfer a smaller but just government to keep the order in the country but also know its limits to its own power.

majwill24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 majwill24
Member since 2004 • 1355 Posts

There are legitimate reasons to be afraid of any government, but I agree with another poster that I dont think any government is actually evil. I dont view Iran, NKorea or any other despised government as evil either. Governments have interests and will make tough decisions to survive and thrive.

Some may say thats I'm being crazy with such a comment, but I'm almost certain, if there is no break through this century dealing with limited natural resources and population control, governments will take radical, some would say evil, actions to survive. When a government decides that you, Joe blow should only receive the bare minimum to live compared to scientists and engineers who are allocated more, is that evil? I dont think so

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#58 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Well, throughout documented history, the governments that people have accepted as governance often do things to the common and private people for reasons that elude me such as while building the Great Wall of China or because of the rebellions when the Manchurins invaded the Han Chinese, males had to have their hair like this [spoiler] Jet Li [/spoiler] to single out rebels. In order to preserve peace, honorable men such as Wong Fei Hung (Jet Li's role pictured) accepted. However, in modern days, people can and still may be singled out and arrested for crimes they are innocent of. This is a site containing such people.

The cases may be incorrectly finalized, one way or the other, but the fact that this occurs so frequenctly by governments, ranked highest or lowest, is disappointing.

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

If the (USA) Government tries to ban guns that's when I will truly be afraid.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

If the (USA) Government tries to ban guns that's when I will truly be afraid.

AHUGECAT

State and local governments have already done that. But at a federal level, guns have yet to be banned and I doubt guns will ever be banned. The 2nd Amendment is too valuable and the NRA is too influential that the federal government would ever ban guns.

Atheists_Pwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Atheists_Pwn

[QUOTE="Atheists_Pwn"]Some dont want equality, so theyll say anything to make sure people cant have it.airshocker

I disagree. Most people want equality. What we don't want is to be knocked down a peg in order to attain it. Someone who works hard to get where they are shouldn't be punished in order to make everyone equal.

I dont know of any group that advocates equality of results, rather equality of opportunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I dont know of any group that advocates equality of results, rather equality of opportunity Atheists_Pwn

Ah, you didn't say that in your previous post.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 branketra

I dont know of any group that advocates equality of results, rather equality of opportunity Atheists_Pwn
"E for Effort" =+10 points.

-See me after class.

U.S. high schools.

Avatar image for DaveyDeathblade
DaveyDeathblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DaveyDeathblade
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

If you aren't afraid of the government, then you don't know very much history.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I'm fine with the government. In fact, I love that they control health care, education, gun control, etc in my country. One thing to always remember is, a government, no matter how inept or corrupt, is always responsible to the people (democracy), so if they ever do something the people don't like, they won't be around for long. However, a corporation is only responsible to its share holders and is only concerned with profit. Given a choice between privatized or government controlled health care, education, etc, I would always take government controlled.

Atheists_Pwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Atheists_Pwn

[QUOTE="Atheists_Pwn"]

Ah, you didn't say that in your previous post.

airshocker
Thats what equality typically means, as most people who want it see it that way.

[QUOTE="Atheists_Pwn"] I dont know of any group that advocates equality of results, rather equality of opportunity BranKetra

"E for Effort" =+10 points.

-See me after class.

U.S. high schools.

While I agree US Highschools are a joke, I dont really see what you're getting at.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Thats what equality typically means, as most people who want it see it that way.Atheists_Pwn

To you, perhaps. I believe more along the lines of equality of opportunity.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Some dont want equality, so theyll say anything to make sure people cant have it.Atheists_Pwn

Which clearly explains why I am so vehemently opposed to fascism.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 branketra
[QUOTE="Atheists_Pwn"] While I agree US Highschools are a joke, I dont really see what you're getting at.

At least in Tennessee, there are school boards for each County which oversee what's allowed for teaching. There are some situations where the context of the lesson is a bit vague compared to others, such as the 5 paragraph essay in 25 minutes vs learning about today's U.S. government from a textbook, then answering a questionnaire pop-quiz or an open discussion between the teacher and student(s) afterward. ...You said "I don't know of any group that advocates equality of results, rather equality of opportunity." Some places like high schools have the idea of effort being gradable in situations such as paperwork, even when the purpose is to just get the correct answer. There are students who get the work done and are left sitting around because the class is going at too slow a pace for him.
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#70 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

If you aren't afraid of the government, then you don't know very much history.

DaveyDeathblade
I agree. While im not totally afraid of them, they are definitely an entity people need to take a bit more seriously. For some people here to say "the government is not evil" is ridiculous. What, are they not people? Is this government run by a machine behind the scenes that can do no wrong knowingly? Make no mistake about it, this government is evil in more ways than one. For people to deny it is just plain stupid, not to mention supreme denial. This government is not oblivious or incompetent, it acts that way.
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#71 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

I'm fine with the government. In fact, I love that they control health care, education, gun control, etc in my country. One thing to always remember is, a government, no matter how inept or corrupt, is always responsible to the people (democracy), so if they ever do something the people don't like, they won't be around for long. However, a corporation is only responsible to its share holders and is only concerned with profit. Given a choice between privatized or government controlled health care, education, etc, I would always take government controlled.

redstorm72
What you said is what I would call the epitome of naivety when it comes to government. Some people are so patriotic, so much so, that it becomes ridiculous. You think if the government does something totally out of line, they have to fear the people? The "people" are going to over throw the government? Heh, yeah right. That would never happen. Not only because the "people" are lazy, but also because the government would NEVER let you overthrow them. If that ever were to happen, watch that plan crumble to dust.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#72 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

redstorm72
Kind of hard to overthrow the government when they have control of your guns, your brains, and your health.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts

redstorm72
I quite enjoy our Canadian way of governing as well. If you don't like someone's policies, you aren't forced to sit through four years. Give 'em a minority, it's not guaranteed.
Trollsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Trollsters
Member since 2009 • 637 Posts

I never fully understood the whole less government is better argument, or the whole the government is evil argument. If you belong to this mentality please explain why you believe as you do, or if you don't, argue why you don't agree with anti-government point of view?

Shenmue_Jehuty

see my sig.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

*Shrug* I'll never understand it myself either. But then again, come to think of it, I' am very much willing to bet that a metric crap ton of it comes down to scaremongering tactics that the Republican party uses to keep a whole load of people in irrational fear. It has built up a hell of an amount of momentum down there over the health care bill that it actually makes me feel simultanously repulsed by them and sorry for them. Makes me extremely glad that I live up here in Toronto, Canada despite the weather, craptacular Telecom infrastructure, and all around shoddy public transportation.

Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
"Gubment came and took muh baybee" -Peter Griffon.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
All of these police agencies are the scary part -- FBI, ATF, DEA, state, local, county, Marshals, TSA, etc. Its a little too much supervision for my tastes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

I never fully understood the whole less government is better argument, or the whole the government is evil argument. If you belong to this mentality please explain why you believe as you do, or if you don't, argue why you don't agree with anti-government point of view?

gamedude2020

I think the small government theory worked 100 years ago, when mult-national corporations did not exist. But now, most private companies are huge themselves, are run in the same way as governments and by the same kind of people.

I don't undertstand when American' say, "I dn't want the government involved with my healthcare" But what is the difference between the government and an insurance company? they are now, exactly the same thing.

First, multi-national corporations have been around a lot longer than 100 years. Ever hear of the British East India Company? They used their influence with the British govt to protect their interests around the globe.

As for a private company, such as a health insurance company, being the same thing as the govt: One major difference would be the police power of the government. Before Obamacare, if I chose not to do business with Aetna, there was no Aetna police that would confiscate my wealth via fines or deprive me of my freedom by arresting me. Now, with Obamacare, if I choose not to buy health insurance, from whomever, I face a fine from the govt.

I doubt you will acknowledge this difference, or at least its profound significance, but thought I'd point it out anyway.

One last thought. The government is like soylent green.....ITS MADE FROM PEOPLE !!!! To paraphrase an old saying:

If men were angels we would need no government to regulate their interactions

If angels were to govern men, we would need no limits on government power.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#80 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

You know what the government does? Hell, look what they did to me, they took my money and gave some of it to people who don't have all the socioeconomical advantadges that I was born with!!! Then they went and gave some of it to schools to educate children!!! Then they gave some of it to the community for beautification and facilities that benefit me every day of the week!!! Then they gave some of it to keep roads that I use every day paved, police and firefighters who keep my neighborhood safe paid, and the post office which I also use on a regular basis running. What reason could I possibly have to trust the government, those motherless ********!!!

theone86
Governments have also been responsible for policies such as segregation, wars of aggression, unfair and abusive foreign policy, state sponsored terrorism, etc. I don't hate our government. I just don't want to put in a position where it does not answer to the people. Too much power and too much size have never been good for any country's government. Most people that want more government control and such only want it when their political party is in charge. But imagine if the opposing party was in charge. Would you really want them to have unchecked control over every major issue? In the end, I believe that individual should have the rights to make most decisions regarding their lives not a government. I don't agree with these crazy militia or anti-government nutjobs, but I do think that smaller government and better checks on their power is a smart thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Man oh man there is just a whole load of black/white fallacy running around in this thread >_>

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i enjoy the government in my bedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

i enjoy the government in my bedroomweezyfb

Back in the day i'm sure people did.You were able to legally rape your wife in North Carolina up until 1993 after all.