Who will be the 2016 Republican Party Nominee?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll Who will be the 2016 Republican Party Nominee? (25 votes)

Jeb Bush 60%
Ben Carson 0%
Chris Christie 8%
Ted Cruz 0%
Carly Fiorina 0%
Mike Huckabee 0%
John Kasich 0%
Rand Paul 12%
Marco Rubio 0%
Scott Walker 16%
Other (Please specify on your reply) 4%

This will be the first poll to gauge OT's preference for the Republican Nominee and later in the future we can review how right (or wrong!) our predictions were.

I caped the number of options at 10, selecting those which, in my opinion, will run a serious campaign and/or are a "serious" contender for the nomination. If your preferred candidate isn't on the list please choose "other" and state your preferred candidate on your reply.

I think there are two main questions:

• Who do you think will win?
  • Who do you want to win?

Share your thoughts.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Jeb Bush will win, I want Rand Paul to win.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Jeb Bush will win without a doubt. Rand Paul would be my choice.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Jeb Bush: the dude is a "hawk" on foreign policy. This just smell like GWB on foreign policy, a disaster. The dude has some good policies for the economy but favors Common Core. He favors immigration reform done through Congress, unlike President Obama or Hillary Clinton (which wants to go even further through executive orders). The dude speaks Spanish.

Ben Carson: Guy is a joke, go look at any YouTube clip of his. Only included him because he polls high and it would had been unfair not to include him.

Chris Christie: Damages goods, could had been a strong candidate. Will run a kamikaze campaign in which he will "give it to you straight" (like talking about reforming Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid which are the third rails of American politics) and it might force other, more probable candidates, to need to define their position on issues that they would rather avoid so he could end up opening an actual substantive discussion of entitlement program and any other hot bottom issue he might bring up.

Ted Cruz: fiery dude, but a lot of times it feels just like he likes to troll people and riled them up. Too volatile. Suffers from Obamanitis.

Carly Fiorina: Has been getting good reviews for her substantive speeches at different Republican summits/conference but honestly I'm not too familiar with her. The big "knock" (aside from the fact that she has never held elective office) is that she was fired as Hewlett-Packard CEO but supposedly the measures she took eventually panned out.

Mike Huckabee: social conservative dude that doesn't like da gays.

John Kasich: Seen as a reasonable moderate (read some democrats might like him) from Ohio who didn't liked da gays until a family member came out so he "evolved" and now is pro gay marriage. Pro-Obamacare which is a big no-no.

Rand Paul: the anti-NSA, anti-war, anti-gay marriage, pro medical marihuana, pro "sentencing reform" dude. Suffers from Obamanitis. Son of libertarian icon Ron Paul.

Marco Rubio: Has actually been quite impressive on the campaign trail. Forceful, energetic, vibrant, articulate, young and Hispanic who sadly is a "hawk". Suffers from Obamanitis (1st term Senator, not much experience). VP material.

Scott Walker: The dude bitch slapped the unions thrice, beat the Democrats twice for the governorship of a traditionally "progressive" state. But he has been all over the place during the campaign, tacking more to the right (on social issues) every day that passes.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Jeb Bush: the dude is a "hawk" on foreign policy. This just smell like GWB on foreign policy, a disaster. The dude has some good policies for the economy but favors Common Core. He favors immigration reform done through Congress, unlike President Obama or Hillary Clinton (which wants to go even further through executive orders). The dude speaks Spanish.

Ben Carson: Guy is a joke, go look at any YouTube clip of his. Only included him because he polls high and it would had been unfair not to include him.

Chris Christie: Damages goods, could had been a strong candidate. Will run a kamikaze campaign in which he will "give it to you straight" (like talking about reforming Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid which are the third rails of American politics) and it might force other, more probable candidates, to need to define their position on issues that they would rather avoid so he could end up opening an actual substantive discussion of entitlement program and any other hot bottom issue he might bring up.

Ted Cruz: fiery dude, but a lot of times it feels just like he likes to troll people and riled them up. Too volatile. Suffers from Obamanitis.

Carly Fiorina: Has been getting good reviews for her substantive speeches at different Republican summits/conference but honestly I'm not too familiar with her. The big "knock" (aside from the fact that she has never held elective office) is that she was fired as Hewlett-Packard CEO but supposedly the measures she took eventually panned out.

Mike Huckabee: social conservative dude that doesn't like da gays.

John Kasich: Seen as a reasonable moderate (read some democrats might like him) from Ohio who didn't liked da gays until a family member came out so he "evolved" and now is pro gay marriage. Pro-Obamacare which is a big no-no.

Rand Paul: the anti-NSA, anti-war, anti-gay marriage, pro medical marihuana, pro "sentencing reform" dude. Suffers from Obamanitis. Son of libertarian icon Ron Paul.

Marco Rubio: Has actually been quite impressive on the campaign trail. Forceful, energetic, vibrant, articulate, young and Hispanic who sadly is a "hawk". Suffers from Obamanitis (1st term Senator, not much experience). VP material.

Scott Walker: The dude bitch slapped the unions thrice, beat the Democrats twice for the governorship of a traditionally "progressive" state. But he has been all over the place during the campaign, tacking more to the right (on social issues) every day that passes.

Jeb Bush will win.

I dislike Republican/conservative policies, so John Kasich is the most appealing. Jeb Bush would be alright if his foreign policy wasn't so close to Bush's. Mike Huckabee is he least acceptable simply for being an idiot; his comment about Caitlyn Jenner made him look ridiculously immature.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Master_Live
  • Who do you think will win?: Jeb Bush but he is nowhere near close to being a frontrunner like Hillary. This might a long, long race that might need to go to all 50 states.
  • Who do you want to win?: They're all flawed. But Rand Paul could be the least bad.
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts

Jeb Bush with Hillary winning the general election

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

Jeb Bush will win his party's nomination, but no Republican has much of a chance in the general election.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Donald Trump. The only candidate who has the balls to speak the truth.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Trump doesn't even seem to have a good grip on the truth.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44580 Posts

Donald Trump, because he's a racist douche and social political troll, and Republicans love that.

Anyhow, realistically, this is how Republicans primaries go, it's a game of musical chairs. Someone gets the limelight, they're hailed as the GOP darling to take on the run for president of the United States, and that only lasts for about a week, then they say some batshit crazy shit, either pandering to moderates which insults the far right, or they throw the far right red meat that insults moderates, or news just Google's their name and bad videos and new headlines from their past gets national spotlight, then that person is out of the running, on to the next candidate who hasn't been made a fool yet, the cycle repeats itself again and again, and this lasts until they have to pick someone, which means they pretty much go with the most viable candidate who hasn't eliminated themselves from the running. Given the chaos, there's no picking any one candidate, it's anybody's guess.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14417 Posts

I want Donald to win for the lulz.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36042 Posts

Jeb Bush seems like he can capture that ever important middle ground.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23040 Posts

Likely Bush. Rooting for Trump for the lulz.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Jeb Bush. Possibility to Marco Rubio if he doesn't mess up the debate too badly. Scott Walker will do terribly in the debates and that'll kill his campaign. All other candidates have no chance.

John Kasich seems like someone I might consider voting for

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Bush will win here, but my vote and the win will go to Hillary anyways

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Why the hell does the republican base feel the need to nominate another Bush? For fucksake what is wrong in American politics. I prefer Christie because of his more moderate leaning stance and his ability to work with democrats in his primarily blue state. Almost all the other candidates have the, reject any and all ideas of the democrats method, which is exactly the thing that prevents any meaningful bills or reform to be passed at the federal level. John Kasich would be acceptable as well but he could never garner the support of the conservative wing of the republican party let alone the worthless tea party.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

The one that is the least embarassing.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Who I think will win: It's really too early to say. Things will be clearer after the first debate. I don't think it will be Bush though.

Who I want to win: Rand Paul. If he doesn't, I'm voting 3rd party.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Rand Paul and Ron Paul are overrated pseudo-intellectuals. There I said it. Bring on the death threats, OT.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

There's a lot of low cards in that hand.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Not sure why everyone thinks Bush will win. He is going to get annihilated in the debates as being uber-establishment. He will probably have the most money initially (I think he already does so far), but that will wane after the first couple debates.

My bet is Scott Walker, that's who the big donors will all flock to after Bush goes down.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36042 Posts

@BossPerson: I think that it comes down to a matter of cynicism. The person with the most money has a history of coming out on top. Unless something big changes that means, at least currently, Jeb is likely to get the nomination.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Master_Live

@BossPerson said:

Not sure why everyone thinks Bush will win. He is going to get annihilated in the debates as being uber-establishment. He will probably have the most money initially (I think he already does so far), but that will wane after the first couple debates.

My bet is Scott Walker, that's who the big donors will all flock to after Bush goes down.

He would get attacked but so what? The last time the GOP didn't nominated a establishment guy was in 1980. The problem with the anti-establishment electorate of the GOP is that they don't coalesce early on behind a candidate and the establishment simply overwhelms them.

This cycle they have the same problem of many anti-establishment guys without any of them breaking from the pack. Some will get their day in the light to gather air above water before the inevitable drowning.

But of course it is way too early and an anti-establishment guy could emerge from the pack.

As for the debates, ostensibly Jeb is the smart, substantive (I haven't seen it myself) dude of the brothers so I would guess he isn't too worried about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It'll probably be Jeb Bush but I like Lindsey Graham apart from him foaming at the mouth at any mention of war.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

@Aljosa23: what's there to like about him?

They guy tries to plant the words "radical islam" any chance he can get. It's quite laughable actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@BossPerson said:

@Aljosa23: what's there to like about him?

They guy tries to plant the words "radical islam" any chance he can get. It's quite laughable actually.

Yeah he is nutty on war and Islam but they're all far from perfect. I like his ability to be bipartisan in areas like tax reform, immigration reform, and he's moderate on most other issues.

It's all moot because he has 0 chance of winning lol

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think it will be Jeb. I also want it to be Jeb.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Looks like we're going to get a Bush-Clinton Dynasty which is very convenient considering that we're in an era of remakes and sequels.

I want Rand Paul or Scott Walker to win but lately I haven't been satisfied with the current crop.

Why can't Jon Huntsman run again? He was pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

The one that is the least embarassing.

Actually it seems like the conservatives desire to have the crazy and embarrassing in charge.. Trump was in second place in the polls a few days ago..

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and pick a candidate that's outside the box.... Malcolm Merlyn.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_Live

Well no surprise, Jeb leads the pack comfortably. 24 votes is a decent recollection of data, maybe I can plotted latter in the future.