Who is hyped for The Hobbit: The battle of five armies?

• 51 results
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Loved The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey very much. But was kinda dissapointed with Desolation of Smaug. Will see Battle of the five armies for the sake of it, but not exactly hyped. More hyped for The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, Furious 7 releasing next year tbh.

wbu? Are you hyped for The Hobbit: The battle of five armies this christmas OT? :)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'll see it, not excited for it by any stretch.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

I'm hyped.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Iszdope said:

Nay, not I.

not me either

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@indzman said:

Loved The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey very much. But was kinda dissapointed with Desolation of Smaug. Will see Battle of the five armies for the sake of it, but not exactly hyped. More hyped for The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, Furious 7 releasing next year tbh.

wbu? Are you hyped for The Hobbit: The battle of five armies this christmas OT? :)

I've never actually seen any of these movies. And this is coming from someone who was a HUGE fan of the LOTR movies.

I still plan to watch them all eventually. But after LOTR, I was sort of done hyping myself to death over that series. That kind of fixation on pop culture actually gets tiring for me. I did that for LOTR, LOTR, ended, and that's that. It's over. Sure, I'd still like to see The Hobbit, but after LOTR ended and me accepting that a Peter Jackson helmed Hobbit movie probably wouldn't happen, that was that. By the time these movies actually happened, I was like, "okay, that's nice, don't really care any more. I already saw LOTR to completion."

And that's another thing. Regardless of how good these movies are (and I hear some people find big complaints compared to the LOTR trilogy), I still can't see it being anything other than anticlimactic. We're in prequel territory here, and one of the standard qualities of prequels is that you can generally totally skip them and you're still okay. While I do plan to see these movies eventually, I just can't bother myself to get hyped up for prequels to a series which has already gotten a proper ending.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I'm hype. Un Unexpected Journey was awesome but Desolation of Smaug was even better so. The Battle of Five Armies is my most anticipated movie and a great way to end it for 2014.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I liked the other two Hobbit films...but I'm worried that Peter Jackson is going to crap Lord of the Rings all over the table with this film.

Seriously, there's very little left of the book, so I'm sure that the majority of screen time will be LOTR-esque stuff that they decided to cram in here. Expect 90-minute epic battles and Gandalf throwing special effects at Sauron and whatnot - all of which will detract from the tone and core story of The Hobbit.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I'll see it, seen the first two at the cinema as well. Both films were good in parts but also boring and stretched out, the Hobbit only needed to be one film the book was only small.

Its been dragged out over three 3 hours films, so out of 6 hours of Hobbit so far I've been bored for at least half that time.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Indifferent

I'll wait for the bluray.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm definitely looking forward to it. The Hobbit movies are by no means as marvelous as LOTR and that's acceptable but being very nostalgic I'm pretty biased in this case. I'm just happy I can go back to Middle Earth once more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Not hyped.

In my opinion, the smaller scenes: without all the shit going on, such as the introduction of the dwarfs, Bilbo proving himself through courageous acts and the dwarf back story (Oakenshield being very bitter) are the interesting stuff that gave the first movie "An unexpected Journey" an inclining of hart and soul.

Counterbalance to this and while to be expected; the movie is rife with CGI. Rather than economically used; Jackson is out of control. As opposed to what they are trying to achieve: "exhilaration", they amount to boring action scenes like a theme park ride with 0 sense of threat.

In "Fellowship Of The Ring" the Balrog is threatening. The threat already perusing them disburses indicting a much larger threat. Rather than simplly shooting it's guns on all cylinders: the movie holds back from showing the creature until the final moments; making it all the more effective.

In "A Unexpected Journey" it has none of this. It's essentially an inferior escape scene with forced; expected drama (Gandalf arriving). The Goblins themselves pose 0 threat; they cut through them like butter. The scenes hyperactive and overlong; like this post.

The other thing the first movie does better; is that it hints at Sauron giving a very brief gimps. The unknown is inherently more interesting and makes him seem more of a threat.

In "Desolation Of Smaug" he goes from a pragmatic character to what amounts to a video game boss battle. All the mystery built up from "Lord Of The Rings" and "An Unexpected Journey" just flies right out the window. From what I can see from the trailers for "Battle Of The 5 Armies" they appear to be outright talking to a big eyeball.

This also includes the Dragon. "An unexpected Journey" (like the Balrog) builds it up. However in "The Desolation of Smaug" the Dragon goes from something exciting; to a theme park ride that carries on too long. It chases dwarfs around as if it where in a comedy sketch. Everything the first movie built up instantly flies out the window.

While "An unexpected Journey" features hyperactive action scenes; it had good moments peppered throughout. "The Desolation of Smaug" is action scene, after action scene, after action scene. The characters mostly behave (even up until the dragon) as if they are in a video game with no threat towards there life's. Legoman and Kate From Lost jump around as if they have god mod on.

Overall I enjoyed aspects of the first movie but deeply disliked the second. The main problem seems to be Peter Jackson and his cohorts being overindulgent with no sense of restraint.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman

@MrGeezer said:

@indzman said:

I've never actually seen any of these movies. And this is coming from someone who was a HUGE fan of the LOTR movies.

I still plan to watch them all eventually. But after LOTR, I was sort of done hyping myself to death over that series. That kind of fixation on pop culture actually gets tiring for me. I did that for LOTR, LOTR, ended, and that's that. It's over. Sure, I'd still like to see The Hobbit, but after LOTR ended and me accepting that a Peter Jackson helmed Hobbit movie probably wouldn't happen, that was that. By the time these movies actually happened, I was like, "okay, that's nice, don't really care any more. I already saw LOTR to completion."

And that's another thing. Regardless of how good these movies are (and I hear some people find big complaints compared to the LOTR trilogy), I still can't see it being anything other than anticlimactic. We're in prequel territory here, and one of the standard qualities of prequels is that you can generally totally skip them and you're still okay. While I do plan to see these movies eventually, I just can't bother myself to get hyped up for prequels to a series which has already gotten a proper ending.

Do yourself a favour and watch An Unexpected Journey. You will like it for Martin Freeman only (Much more talented and a better hobbit than Elijah Wood). PLUs you may enjoy the conflict between Thorin and Bilbo and how it resolves in the end. Good lore and story, not great as LOTR, but not bad either. But if you don't enjoy this movie you don't need to see rest sequels. You got nothing to lose my freind :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Can't say I'm hyped but I am looking forward to watching it (probably in Blu-Ray though). I'm a lot more interested in LOTR stuff ever since I rewatched the first trilogy when An Unexpected Journey came out.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By indzman

@korvus said:

Can't say I'm hyped but I am looking forward to watching it (probably in Blu-Ray though). I'm a lot more interested in LOTR stuff ever since I rewatched the first trilogy when An Unexpected Journey came out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: Can never get over how fugly that bastard is...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup

It's a very clever design. It's repulsive but features child like proportions.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By indzman

@uninspiredcup said:

Korvuses seems to disagree with us

Gollum Gollum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Gollum Gollum

Not really...I agree it is repulsive and that it has child like proportions...I just happen to think that that fact makes it extra yucky XD Yes, I said yucky...buy me a thesaurus for Christmas, Korvuses has none >_<

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Gollum Gollum

Korvuses has none >_<

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: We beats it and skinses it and we pluckses its eyes out!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm going to watch it and probably buy a Blu-Ray version. But, hyped? Nope.

We all know the movie is going to be a butchered version of the book.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I'm going to watch it and probably buy a Blu-Ray version. But, hyped? Nope.

We all know the movie is going to be a butchered version of the book.

Personally; I'm not adverse to the idea of changes being made. It's an adaption and liberties (be it running time, target audience) are going to happen; it's inevitable and arguably not by default, always bad.

But saying that, I totally agree. I read a great article (I'll try link it if I can find it) basically calling this "The Fast And The Furious" in middle earth.

http://fabiusmaximus.com/2014/10/05/the-hobbit-fim-review-tolkien-70428/

Extract -

Nothing is ever allowed anymore to just happen in the Hobbit films — everything has to be ratcheted up, drawn out, enhanced and turbo-charged. Even Bard the Bowman’s fateful Black Arrow is no longer a simple, lucky shaft, but part of a giant Super Weapon. (The character of Bard — played with Aragorn-like stoicism by Luke Evans — is equally inflated, complete with a family of adorable moppets for that extra “threat to the family” juice.)

Yes, the action is often nicely CGI choreographed, especially the river-barrel scene as it weaves between slapstick and ballet. But every movement from point A to point B becomes a chase-fight-chase scene. (“Barrels out of Bond” becomes “Barrels! The Death-defying Log Flume Ride!”)

Take away the over-saturated New Zealand landscape and the leather leggings, and these Hobbit films are starting to feel less like Tolkien and more like The Fast and the Furious.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Hopefully the CGi is improved when it's released

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

me....

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Not me. I'm a huge lord of the rings trilogy fan but hobbit has been more disappointing than the star wars prequel trilogy. Both movies have weak/forgettable characters, poor plot, cheesy CGI action over original trilogys practical effects, no memorable battles scenes like helms deep, and are SO overlong.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

It looks fantastic. Both previous movies have been builders to this final hurrah in middle earth. It looks dark, and it certainly looks action packed. Should be the best of the trilogy.

phagbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 phagbox
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Considering how bad previous movies were, nobody should.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I want to be, but desolation of smaug was a disappointment and so far this trilogy is nowhere near the original. The trailers released for this one don`t interest me at all to be honest. I will still end up watching it, I hope it`s a fitting ending.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Most shameless milkage ever. Should have been ONE film.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I have to watch it, but the Hobbit series is undeniably a phone in. Nowhere near the magic that was present in TLoTR series. What I absolutely hate the most is the cgi, it's just disgustingly cheesy. The smaug scene was cool though and I like the main human character whatever his name was, he was cool

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I don't know about hyped, but I'm excited. It's coming out on Dec. 17, which is the same date that Return of the King did 11 years ago (whether that was done purposely or it just worked out that way I don't know). The trailer looks pretty good, though in the first movie I was a little disappointed with how much they strayed from the books with regards to Sauron's return and Gandalf finding out who he really was (which in the books had already happened probably centuries before the events in the Hobbit book take place). On a side note: When Azog screams a battle cry in the trailer for the upcoming movie, you can definitely tell by the voice that it's the same actor who played Slade Wilson that plays Azog.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Im excited to see The Hobbit:Battle of Five Armies.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#34 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@indzman said:

No one is hyped for the Hobbit cash cow attempt nr.3 except the few nerds over in the corner who already have dressed up as their favorite elven lady and waiting for the release.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#35 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I'm not. I've read the book 3 times, but the movies suck ass. It's not The Hobbit; more like a bunch of random action scenes with a little bit of Hobbit thrown in.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Looks like what I have been waiting 6 hours of boring shit for...but as for hyped? Hell no. Might look like it is finally delivering...but these films have been far too disappointing to have any hopes that it will end on a high note.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Everything I loved about Lord of the Rings is absent in the Hobbit trilogy. Even Howard Shore's score is unmemorable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-598fc45371265

It's hard to believe it's even the same director and studio involved.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

-

@Jacanuk said:

@indzman said:

No one is hyped for the Hobbit cash cow attempt nr.3 except the few nerds over in the corner who already have dressed up as their favorite elven lady and waiting for the release.

Doesn't really make sense. Generally; the hardcore tend to be the loudest minority due to an elitism.

These movies are designed for a mainstream audience; not hardcore Tolkien fans.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#40 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@indzman: Hell yeah

Loading Video...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#41 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Not me. I'm waiting for it to come out on Blu-Ray with the other two so I can watch the whole thing at once.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Meh

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
These movies are designed for a mainstream audience; not hardcore Tolkien fans.

I agree.

Also, in The Hobbit's defense, the book read more like a children's fairy tale rather than like an epic. It felt that way because there was a lot of singing and the way the narrator interjected in during some moments.

I'm fine with the movies so long as they're not brought up during serious Tolkien discussion. The same holds true for the LotR. So far, I've enjoyed the Peter Jackson The Hobbit movies as much as the LotR ones.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Eager, but not overly so. There is no way it's going to match the appeal that Return of the King did to close out the trilogy.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@Storm_Marine:

Hate to say it but it's really not that hard to believe. I have watched the extras on the Lord of the Rings and listened to the commentaries and you would be amazed at how many things that they almost got wrong, but changed it at the last minute. For example they nearly had Frodo hurl Gollum into Mount Doom (they re-shot that scene on the last day of filming), they nearly had Aragorn fight a spirit of Sauron in the final battle (also filmed) which they switched out for a troll, and so many other moments mentioned which had me dropping my jaw at how stupid it would have been to try.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Not very, to be honest. The Hobbit movies have been decent but they really lack something that the original three movies had.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-598fc45371265

@Serraph105 said:

@Storm_Marine:

Hate to say it but it's really not that hard to believe. I have watched the extras on the Lord of the Rings and listened to the commentaries and you would be amazed at how many things that they almost got wrong, but changed it at the last minute. For example they nearly had Frodo hurl Gollum into Mount Doom (they re-shot that scene on the last day of filming), they nearly had Aragorn fight a spirit of Sauron in the final battle (also filmed) which they switched out for a troll, and so many other moments mentioned which had me dropping my jaw at how stupid it would have been to try.

Those are just individual cases, I'm thinking about the overall look, feel, and pacing of the movies.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Also, in The Hobbit's defense, the book read more like a children's fairy tale rather than like an epic.

I wish more people would understand this before hopping on the hate bandwagon. LOTR and the Hobbit tell different kinds of stories, it's unnatural to expect to have your jaw drop like in certain LOTR moments. The Hobbit movies certainly have flaws but comparing them to LOTR is just unfair.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

@Storm_Marine said:

@Serraph105 said:

@Storm_Marine:

Those are just individual cases, I'm thinking about the overall look, feel, and pacing of the movies.

It's hard to deny something got lost in between LoTR and the Hobbit.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
@johnd13 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Also, in The Hobbit's defense, the book read more like a children's fairy tale rather than like an epic.

I wish more people would understand this before hopping on the hate bandwagon. LOTR and the Hobbit tell different kinds of stories, it's unnatural to expect to have your jaw drop like in certain LOTR moments. The Hobbit movies certainly have flaws but comparing them to LOTR is just unfair.

One of the problems with the Hobbit films is that they try to make it an epic in and of itself and fail badly at it.

And either way nothing excuses bad pacing and CG insanity.