What's the worst computer manufacturer?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for progenitorvirus
progenitorvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 progenitorvirus
Member since 2005 • 383 Posts
I want to buy a new computer, but I want to avoid certain brands, and what brands are those? I want a good desktop computer. I heard Compaq sucks, so Compaq is scratched off. Anybody know any other manufacturers to avoid?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I would not recommend whoever made this...

pc

...but in all seriousness, I do not follow brands enough to know.

musicaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 musicaz70
Member since 2007 • 1949 Posts

Dell, or at least they used to suck bad, and eMachine. Definitely look into getting an HP if you're buying a pre-built computer.

progenitorvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 progenitorvirus
What happened with Dell? I heard they use to have good computers.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Laptop goes to ACER - and desk top. E machines. I am pretty sure the two are related.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

Well apple is way overpriced. Dells computers always break {at least the dell my family bought, and one of my best friends which are the only two Dells I know of that were built recently}, but they have increadible service. They have to be at your house to fix your computer within 3 days if it is something which cannot be fixed over the phone. Don't buy alienware they are way overpriced.

You should actally build your own to get the best deal.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

emachines

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
eMachines if you want to overclock, otherwise I would recommend Compaq. I've never had a problem with any Compaq that I've owned. In fact, my old 17" Compaq LCD was better than my new 22" Dell...
trubluah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 trubluah
Member since 2002 • 3678 Posts
I actually like Dell, I have a quad core from them and it's great! It's more user prefrence and how well you take care of your computer. Most brand name computer failures is due to people's negligence or stupidity. I know this, for I've worked at compUSA (before they closed) and had all kinds of brand name computers that we fixed for many reason.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
I actually like Dell, I have a quad core from them and it's great! It's more user prefrence and how well you take care of your computer. Most brand name computer failures is due to people's negligence or stupidity. I know this, for I've worked at compUSA (before they closed) and had all kinds of brand name computers that we fixed for many reason. trubluah
It seems like that was directed at me. if it was that is mean. The dell computers which I have seen break were soon after, one was like 2 weeks the other was a couple of months, and it wasn't because of neglect or stupidity.
Dub_c6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dub_c6969
Member since 2004 • 6014 Posts

Dude just build your own. There all kind of websites that show you how to build a computer in less then like 15 steps. The hardest part really is setting up the motherboard if something is out of date and you need to update the BIOS. Other then that the rest is just plugging components in, I had a real fun time building my computer. I would recommend ASUS MoBO's because i find them easy to work on and very reliable than some of the others i have used like DFI's and some others.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts
Apple.
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
None. I think all computers are great.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Avoid eMachines, Compaq, Fujitsu (worst warranty support ever), and Asus. Acer's improved a lot in the past few years. So has Dell. Gateway is okay, and I'd lump HP in there too. Toshiba is alright as well. I'd also avoid buying a Sony computer simply because (like Fujitsu) getting warranty work done is a pain. Their customer service is terrible.
mutenpika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mutenpika
Member since 2004 • 2940 Posts
I recently had the misfortune of using an Acer 17" laptop. It was the only laptop I have ever used that couldn't even power down consistently...in Vista OR Linux. Some people seem to like HP laptops, but be warned: HP shoves so much crapware on those things that it'll be running like a three-toed sloth incarnation of Tiny Tim. If you get one, wipe it and reinstall ONLY the OS and drivers. Get your own free antivirus like Avast!, and you'll probably have a really nice system on your hands.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I love Dell and HP. They're both fantastic. I haven't had a Compaq in a few years, and I had a little bad luck with one once, but my best friend has a Compaq laptop, and it is actually quite nice. I've looked into it, and I don't think that Compaq is all that bad anymore. For some reason, my dad recently bought an Emachines computer, and it's really not the best. I'm still shocked that he bought it... He's actually rather computer savvy, so I was just in awe when he came home with it.
PlanckEpoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PlanckEpoch
Member since 2009 • 171 Posts

eMachines is pretty bad.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Avoid eMachines, Compaq, Fujitsu (worst warranty support ever), and Asus. Acer's improved a lot in the past few years. So has Dell. Gateway is okay, and I'd lump HP in there too. Toshiba is alright as well. I'd also avoid buying a Sony computer simply because (like Fujitsu) getting warranty work done is a pain. Their customer service is terrible.DJ_Lae

Acer has improved but there laptops are still crap I see more of those than other at my job. If I was to rank them it would go like this

Toshiba

HP

Dell

Asus

COmpaq (sub section of hp)

gateway

acer

I have seen a lot of DOA Asus which is odd considering their mobo's are rock solid. oh well.

Oborozukiyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Oborozukiyo
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Maytag. : (

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

mac mini is a great little machine if you like apples

but if you dont like apples build it yourself it is cheaper and you will have a better pc then any prebuilt you can buy today.

progenitorvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 progenitorvirus
So if I decided to build my own computer it would be better? I know a bit of computers but not the hardware. I am just really dumb when it comes putting a computer together.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I personally really don't like Apple. They have terrible customer support, and their computers are very overpriced. Plus, I hate OSX :P. I will say that Dell computers tend to have problems. However, they have excellent customer support. Every problem I've had with my XPS has been solved in a couple hours max with customer support. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the other brands to give a good assessment. That said, if you are looking at getting a desktop, you should consider buying parts and assembling it yourself-it'll save you a good deal of money.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
E-Machines are by far the worst computer manufacturer.
Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
Acer is fine...
vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts
This reminds me of the Windows 95 days when everyone was buying Packard-Bell systems. Those things were the flat-out worst computers on the market. Luckily, they're no longer in business. As far as my experience goes, Dell or HP seems like a good bet. Toshiba is okay (my laptop is a Toshiba), but I'd watch the specs to make sure you know what you're buying. My lappy has an AMD Turion processor, and it gets hot rather fast. It's an average Vista machine, but nothing special. If I could buy that laptop again, I'd go with the Core 2 Duo machine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
So if I decided to build my own computer it would be better? I know a bit of computers but not the hardware. I am just really dumb when it comes putting a computer together.progenitorvirus
Well, if you have any old computers that no one uses, you could practice with that, maybe using a few online guides.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

My old Hp pc took all sorts of abuse before it finally died.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

This reminds me of the Windows 95 days when everyone was buying Packard-Bell systems. Those things were the flat-out worst computers on the market. Luckily, they're no longer in business. As far as my experience goes, Dell or HP seems like a good bet. Toshiba is okay (my laptop is a Toshiba), but I'd watch the specs to make sure you know what you're buying. My lappy has an AMD Turion processor, and it gets hot rather fast. It's an average Vista machine, but nothing special. If I could buy that laptop again, I'd go with the Core 2 Duo machine.vgm007

Our first ever pc was a Packard Bell. We had the one with an modern.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
If you're talking about laptops - then Acer wins (losses?) by far.
hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
I generally buy my computers from HP, I find they make good products.
Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Neon-Tiger
If you're talking about laptops - then Acer wins (losses?) by far.Famiking
Not really, no.
progenitorvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 progenitorvirus
Ok well I got one of old school computers laying around, that I'll mess around with, it wouldn't take long to build a PC once I get the parts right?
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

Ok well I got one of old school computers laying around, that I'll mess around with, it wouldn't take long to build a PC once I get the parts right?progenitorvirus

about an hour or 2 depending if you know what u are doing

OT_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OT_Rage
Member since 2009 • 228 Posts
Dell's break a lot. but if you play your cards right, you can actually get a good deal on a dell. what i did was, i went into the cust. supp. chat and asked them "if I pay for the computer in its entirety up front what will you do for me?" I got 200 bucks off and a free 2 year warranty.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
[QUOTE="Famiking"]If you're talking about laptops - then Acer wins (losses?) by far.Neon-Tiger
Not really, no.

So it's just me and everyone I know who had an Acer laptop? >_>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Ok well I got one of old school computers laying around, that I'll mess around with, it wouldn't take long to build a PC once I get the parts right?progenitorvirus
Just make sure you don't break anything. :?
Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Neon-Tiger
[QUOTE="Neon-Tiger"][QUOTE="Famiking"]If you're talking about laptops - then Acer wins (losses?) by far.Famiking
Not really, no.

So it's just me and everyone I know who had an Acer laptop? >_>

I'm on my second Acer (old one was too outdated but still works fine), no problems here. I also no of a few folks who have Acer and got no problems either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
[QUOTE="OT_Rage"]Dell's break a lot. but if you play your cards right, you can actually get a good deal on a dell. what i did was, i went into the cust. supp. chat and asked them "if I pay for the computer in its entirety up front what will you do for me?" I got 200 bucks off and a free 2 year warranty.

I've been using Dell computers for quite a while now, and I have had only a few problems with the hardware itself. (USB ports. Freaking power surge on hub port errors.)
OT_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OT_Rage
Member since 2009 • 228 Posts
[QUOTE="jaydough"][QUOTE="OT_Rage"]Dell's break a lot. but if you play your cards right, you can actually get a good deal on a dell. what i did was, i went into the cust. supp. chat and asked them "if I pay for the computer in its entirety up front what will you do for me?" I got 200 bucks off and a free 2 year warranty.

I've been using Dell computers for quite a while now, and I have had only a few problems with the hardware itself. (USB ports. Freaking power surge on hub port errors.)

ive only had problems with my laptop. But I think that goes with the territory. I have a dell desktop that works just fine, and never had any issues what so ever.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="OT_Rage"]Dell's break a lot. but if you play your cards right, you can actually get a good deal on a dell. what i did was, i went into the cust. supp. chat and asked them "if I pay for the computer in its entirety up front what will you do for me?" I got 200 bucks off and a free 2 year warranty.jaydough

I've been using Dells for several years. My first two Dells only had one or two hardware problems, but they were easily fixed. My new one has had no hardware problems, and all of the software problems were resolved fairly quickly.

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -GeordiLaForge-
Dell and Sony are today's worst pc manufacturer. For one Dell uses proprietary components, which is not cool!! Even the fan plugs are proprietary!!!! And Sony desktop cases tend to fall apart... plus the Sony brand dvd drives that they put in them won't read a lot of dvd's, which is why they include a Samsung drive in their pc's as well...
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
eMachines tend to be on the cheaper end but my experience with them has been kind of bad. I had an eMachines desktop a few years ago until I upgraded to an HP, and the eMachines one had power supply problems that ended up frying the motherboard somehow - twice. I'm not sure if eMachines are the worst though, though I can also say Compaqs aren't much better.
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -GeordiLaForge-
[QUOTE="dbz345"]eMachines tend to be on the cheaper end but my experience with them has been kind of bad. I had an eMachines desktop a few years ago until I upgraded to an HP, and the eMachines one had power supply problems that ended up frying the motherboard somehow - twice. I'm not sure if eMachines are the worst though, though I can also say Compaqs aren't much better.

I have to disagree there. For one, eMachines uses decent motherboards, and they have an unofficial site where you can download overclockable bioses... Secondly, Compaq LCD's have better panels than Dell. And their desktops aren't bad by any means... I've owned several Compaqs, and I haven't had a single problem.
Dub_c6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dub_c6969
Member since 2004 • 6014 Posts

So if I decided to build my own computer it would be better? I know a bit of computers but not the hardware. I am just really dumb when it comes putting a computer together.progenitorvirus
Here is a website that can help you put together a computer. Its really simple once you get all parts that you need.

LINK

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

e machine

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -GeordiLaForge-

e machine

sukraj
Why all of the emachine hate? What other company will give you the link to free overclockable bioses for their computers? NONE... You would have to pay $30 for an overclockable bios for other prebuilt pc's (esupport). And since Dell uses proprietary motherboards, you can't even get an overclockable bios unless you pay for a top of the line XPS....
TheProtecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheProtecter
Member since 2009 • 715 Posts

I have a Compaq desktop and I haven't had any problems with it.

Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts

I have a Compaq Presario laptop and no problems with it so far (except spilling water on my keyboard... oops), I got it last September. I think maybe Compaq used to have a bad name, but they got bought by HP so now they are basically just an HP computer with a different logo.

From all accounts, Acer is the worst choice you can make though.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

Never was a fan of DELL. They seemed to break down a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Computer companies have stepped up their game.. They are far more reliable now and more powerful.. Gamewise in the end you will want to build your own or using a smaller lesser known company.. Laptops though is a even gamefield.. Dell, Gateway etc etc create great laptops with good work quality and components at affordable price... In the end if its not for gaming, pick the biggest bang for your buck.. If its for gaming, send me a tell with a price range and I can get you a good list of components to buy.. And some guides to build one.