What was the band that got you into metal?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
linkin park
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24941 Posts

Metallica, unfortunately. I moved on to better stuff pretty quickly though.

Another-World
Can't go wrong with their first 4 albums. Ride The Lighting is such a masterpiece.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Lead Zeppelin :P

Avatar image for poovannaorcbane
poovannaorcbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 poovannaorcbane
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts
@BuryMe lol :) :D heheheh hahah mj - metal ??? lol good one
poovannaorcbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 poovannaorcbane
@Solid_Tango u have to be the funniest guy here in the forums judging from ur sigs and profile pic/gif lol beiber death lol which movie/show is ur pic/gif based on?
poovannaorcbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 poovannaorcbane
the first metal song i heard was METALLICA'S I DISAPPEAR when the movie MI2 came out, after several years when i turned 16 i listened to metallica's unforgiven and fade to black and everything else like IRON MAIDEN and NIGHTWISH, INSOMNIUM I BEEN listening to since then!!!
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Slipnot and AidsWolf look em up on youtube

nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#108 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

Jimmy Eat World got me into rock and then AC/DC got me into metal.

Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

As for getting into Metal, it was Metallica, the Black Album; especially Enter Sandman. I was told not to listen to it, but they played on some music awards show with that song and I like it and wanted to hear more, so I would listen to it with my friends. That was back when it was new.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#110 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Like many others, Metallica's Master of Puppets.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#111 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I was a fan of Linkin Park for some time before, but the band that converted me to metal was Metallica.
Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts
[QUOTE="Another-World"]

Metallica, unfortunately. I moved on to better stuff pretty quickly though.

ArmoredCore55
Can't go wrong with their first 4 albums. Ride The Lighting is such a masterpiece.

Yeah, I am sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the black album. Ride the lightning is great, so is Mop and KTA is quite under-appreciated. However AJFA was mightily overrated imo. the only songs i liked in that album were one and blackened. And after that the albums pretty much went the rock path, the nadir being load and reload. Death magnetic was a spark of hope though.
NukaNuked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113 NukaNuked
Member since 2011 • 973 Posts

Saint Vitus and Sleep, they were slow and groovy (thats what I loved at the time still do) but then I kept looking into the side projects of other doom bands and eventually got up to more heavy and fast stuff such as Converge/Dillinger Escape Plan.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
I think it was BFMV
KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#115 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

Killswitch Engage.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

In Flames and Shadows Fall eight years ago.

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts
@Solid_Tango u have to be the funniest guy here in the forums judging from ur sigs and profile pic/gif lol beiber death lol which movie/show is ur pic/gif based on?poovannaorcbane
His sig is based on CSI when Justin Beiber plays as a guest character and that character gets killed by cops. The guy shooting him in the sig however is Thom Yorke of Radiohead in the music video for "Lotus Flower". Guns were cropped in to a weird dance move. It's funny stuff for sure
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Metallica, used to be my favorite band, but I'm not really into them or the genre any more.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts
August Burns Red about 4 years ago.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
I know band like "THE WHO" is another rock genre... but it lead me to metal culture...... maybe The Who is just a portal for me to love Bathory, Morbid Angel...ect
Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

Bullet For My Valentine. These days I'm into much heavier stuff and I've actually begun to dislike the band. When ever a friend puts on one of their songs I ask them change it.

wildjango64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 wildjango64
Member since 2009 • 3537 Posts

Bring Me The Horizon got me into metalcore

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 hippiesanta

Bullet For My Valentine. These days I'm into much heavier stuff and I've actually begun to dislike the band. When ever a friend puts on one of their songs I ask them change it.

Lance2500
bullet for valentino is like metalicca.... radio friendly towards pop culture... better listen to necrophagia
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 DmadFearmonger

Lance2500
Awful band. They're so freakin' mainstream. Most of their fans listen to Pop music as well and couldn't tell you the name of any other "Metal" band
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#125 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Started with nu metal then got into metalcore. Metalcore lead to thrash and groove metal. Those allowed me to gain an appreciation for classics like Sabbath and Deep Purple. Now I listen to a range of different metal. Depends on the band of course.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 hippiesanta
japanese band sabbath?...(which is awesome btw)
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Mastodon

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
[QUOTE="Lance2500"]

DmadFearmonger
Awful band. They're so freakin' mainstream. Most of their fans listen to Pop music as well and couldn't tell you the name of any other "Metal" band

And Dream Theatre IS mainstream? Besides what's wrong with being mainstream? Since when are bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath bad because they're mainstream? I don't understand you.
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 DmadFearmonger

[QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"][QUOTE="Lance2500"]

imaps3fanboy

And Dream Theatre IS mainstream? Besides what's wrong with being mainstream? Since when are bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath bad because they're mainstream? I don't understand you.

Dream Theater isn't "Mainstream" so much. My definition of mainstream is anyone who tries to make music as radio friendly and poppy as possible. BFMV do just that. Dream Theater, however, do not.

And to be honest I can't justify that Sabbath and Maiden point. You're right there. I guess we could say Mainstream was the quality once but It's not anymore.

Also, why do always have to correct me on everything?

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

I don't like a lot of metal but right now I'm enjoying Liturgy's new album

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"]Awful band. They're so freakin' mainstream. Most of their fans listen to Pop music as well and couldn't tell you the name of any other "Metal" bandDmadFearmonger

Dream Theater isn't "Mainstream" so much. My definition of mainstream is anyone who tries to make music as radio friendly and poppy as possible. BFMV do just that. Dream Theater, however, do not.

And to be honest I can't justify that Sabbath and Maiden point. You're right there. I guess we could say Mainstream was the quality once but It's not anymore.

Lol, I get bored playing rift so I have to do something, what are your thoughts on Foo Fighters? Decent mainstream band imo
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 DmadFearmonger
[QUOTE="DmadFearmonger"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] And Dream Theatre IS mainstream? Besides what's wrong with being mainstream? Since when are bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath bad because they're mainstream? I don't understand you.imaps3fanboy

Lol, I get bored playing rift so I have to do something, what are your thoughts on Foo Fighters? Decent mainstream band imo

Not a fan personally, they're alright but I wouldn't buy their music
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I think it was system of a down, but the first band that made it my favorite genre was Leaves' Eyes. Everything about their album Vinland Saga was pretty much perfect, and showed how diverse metal could be.

iaosoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 iaosoir
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
Death of course. I am not into death metal any longer, though.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="Lance2500"]

DmadFearmonger

Lol, stereotypical metal fan comment, saying how their fans listen to pop so they're obviously not real metal fans. I'm not a fan of BFMV but I know people who are that are also into a lot of different metal bands. Now, Black Veil Bride fans, well that's a different story. They may be the most annoying fans (well ok not true, that goes to the singleminded fans who only listen to one genre). I actually used to like BVB, until their album came out and they basically sold out as much as they could just to sell records to high school girls.

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#137 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

Mudvayne. Yeah, I realize they're not exactly quality metal (I'm sure most elitists on this board wouldn't call them metal at all), but damn it, when I listened to The End of All Things to Come in its entirety, I fell in love with it and the rest of the genre.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ArmoredCore55

Mudvayne. Yeah, I realize they're not exactly quality metal (I'm sure most elitists on this board wouldn't call them metal at all), but damn it, when I listened to The End of All Things to Come in its entirety, I fell in love with it and the rest of the genre.

kussese
Mudvayne's a good band, I've been a fan of their music since 11th grade. They have such an amazing bassist.
marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#139 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

I'm not really a fan of metal, it really is a mood thing with me, though I do enjoy some heavy metal music once in awhile.

However, if I were to mention a band that opened me up to the genre...probably Metallica.

And my favourite music artist is Joe Satriani, believe it or not. Don't know if it's classified as real metal, I guess it would fit in the neo-classical side of things (some of his albums)...?

kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#140 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts
[QUOTE="kussese"]

ArmoredCore55
Mudvayne's a good band, I've been a fan of their music since 11th grade. They have such an amazing bassist.

Yeah, he really gets into it. Their last two albums weren't very good, though :|
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 ArmoredCore55
[QUOTE="ArmoredCore55"][QUOTE="kussese"]

kussese

Yeah, he really gets into it. Their last two albums weren't very good, though :|

I agree, the self-titled album was better than The New Game, though.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#142 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

What got me into metalcore? Destroy the Runner. Still listen to them to this day.

:)

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I think it was Metallica's Kill em All.
jjj13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#144 jjj13
Member since 2005 • 2399 Posts
Iron maiden, the best way to get me into music!
Avatar image for joeryshadow-669
joeryshadow-669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 joeryshadow-669
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i got from hard rock ACDC to metal i v started with linkin park and KoRn
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Iron Maiden, all the way. My introduction to each genre within metal went like... Iron Maiden (NWOHM) ---> Iced Earth (Thrash/Power) ----> Immortal (black metal) ---> Morbid Angel (death metal) ----> Gorguts (technical death metal) ---> Suffocation (brutal death metal)
OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#147 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

I think the first rock/metal bands I really liked were Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, more so Deep Purple. Fromt here I starte dlistening to other British bands like Iron Maiden (still a favourite today), Motorhead, Def Leppard, Saxon, and then stuff like Anthrax, Helloween, AC/DC, Megadeth, Slayer, Faith No More, etc etc,

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Oh wow, here's another old thread. At least this one is only a year and a half old...

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#149 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Metallica introduced me to that world
Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

For me it was Bullet For My Valentine that first met my taste. It has changed a little since then but i still love BFMV