#what skills do you possess? are you an expert at anything?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Do you have any real world skills that could land you a job somewhere because you are one of a few select people with your set of skills? Tell us about it.

I have a talent for layout and typography in the design field so that could land me a job almost anywhere if I sold myself the right way. I have also packed trucks for a moving company so I could do that, it's just like Tetris. I've also taken a semester of glassblowing, so I could be a gaffer's assistant which wouldn't be too hard.

most importantly:

- is there a trade you have that you could sell?

- would your skills be valuable in an apocalyptic setting?

- how did you come to realize you had the skills you have?

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

I have sexual talents that are going to waste right now
I'm sure it could be put to use in an apocalyptic setting
A dream with a friend from work

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

I, like most, probably have many skills that I don't recognize. I think things that we as humans are innately good aren't recognized as skills, but rather as something we could and should be better at despite being above the skill level of most others in that field.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Driving is my number one skill and passion. Whether it be a passenger car or large truck (hopefully very soon a big rig), I take extreme pride in being able to control the vehicle to the highest standard of safety and ability. When behind the wheel, I feel the vehicle is an "extension" of my body, much like a fictional powered-exoskeleton.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I'm really good at sleeping. One of the best!

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I'm a good writer.

This would be great if the Christian version of the end of the world happens. Not so much if the apocalypse is technological.

I taught myself how to write and majored in journalism.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4myAmuzumament

@thegerg said:

Wow, stacking boxes and driving a vehicle. Quite the journeymen we have here.

I bet I have more life skills than you. I'd be more valuable in the apocalypse than you.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

@thegerg said:

I bet I have more life skills than you. I'd be more valuable in the apocalypse than you.

Nah... An apocalypse would need drivers. :D

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 4myAmuzumament

i'd do well stacking boxes of supplies being sent to the needy, i'd be a hero. gerg would just be gerg, gerging it up.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I'm very skillfull in offending people ... and running away from it

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hippiesanta

@kemar7856 said:

I have sexual talents

usually people with these talent are the bottom b1++#

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

Do you have any real world skills that could land you a job somewhere because you are one of a few select people with your set of skills? Tell us about it.

I have a talent for layout and typography in the design field so that could land me a job almost anywhere if I sold myself the right way. I have also packed trucks for a moving company so I could do that, it's just like Tetris. I've also taken a semester of glassblowing, so I could be a gaffer's assistant which wouldn't be too hard.

most importantly:

- is there a trade you have that you could sell?

- would your skills be valuable in an apocalyptic setting?

- how did you come to realize you had the skills you have?

1) Is there a trade that I could sell?

Probably, if I applied my skills to providing customers what they want. As it currently stands, I'm really only interested in applying it to what I feel like doing, and that isn't really marketable.

2) Would those skills be valuable in an apocalyptic setting?

Hell no.

3) How did I come to realize that I have those skills?

By doing stuff, and then having certain people appreciate the results of my work. Of course, it's entirely possible that those people just plain don't know what the hell they're talking about.

PS: I might have certain skills, but that doesn't make me an EXPERT at anything. I almost didn't even want to reply, but then I saw you flaunting your skills because you took a semester of glass blowing class. If the standard for "expert" has been lowered that much, then I'm probably an expert in a few things. But hey...let's not lower the bar. "Expert" implies a certain level of mastery (not competence), and you don't get that after one freaking semester of ANYTHING.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've been doing weather forecasting for almost 2.5 decades now. Before that, I was a plumber and took care of boilers before becoming a plumber.

I'm willing to endure crappy schedules, having done that for much of my life. By the same account, I'm also very flexible and able to adjust to changes in my work environment.

I'm very mission-oriented. I get more satisfaction knowing I did a good job (and our client is pleased) than say, being recognized with a plaque.

My mentality with regards to those below me is someday, they will eventually replace me. I make sure they're on the right path.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@thegerg said:

If there weren't people capable of and willing to do it, there wouldn't be anything to buy or eat.

What's your major skill, being pedantic? I'm not sure that would have much use in an apocalypse. "Why are we killing the zombies? They used to be people, ya know. They are only doing what their instinct tells them to".

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Nothing.

I am completely useless.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I'm average to pretty good at drawing. Outside of that I'm useless at pretty much everything.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I trained as a funeral director and embalmer. Now I'm foregoing my required internship for probably my final fight with cancer.

I guess there would be plenty of bodies around in a post apocalyptic setting but everything would be mass graves because of the need for disinfection. I highly doubt anybody would actually give a **** about embalming

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I'm in the broadcasting field. Radio and Film production. Sadly I would be useless in the apocalypse. Unless I was like ThreeDawg or something

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I spent some years as a self employed carpenter, I have made bespoke stained glass windows. Surprisingly despite the numerous skilled trades I have been able to turn my hand to over the years I am working for Waitrose a UK supermarket chain and the money/benefits/training opportunities they offer far outweigh absolutely any job I have ever had over the last 15 years. Ultimately yes its just stacking boxes but they are contributing towards the cost of me studying business management with the Open University. They also contribute towards my boxing tuition outside of work and offer discounts towards pretty much any activity I wish to pursue. In terms of support and development they will aim to assist you in anything both inside and outside of work. The theory being a healthy social life and active interest in personal development = productive and satisfied employee.

I can honestly say I will not leave that company if they continue to provide me with this level of job satisfaction. There is a lot to be said for "shifting boxes". Provided of course you are doing it for the right reasons within a company that respects and appreciates you. Its always important to aspire to more however.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I'm good at:

- UI/UX design

- Typography

- Concepting

- Commercial writing

Here's some of my (older) work

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I'm pretty knowledgeable in many sciences (physics, astronomy, geology, biology) history (ancient civilizations and WW2 are the periods I find most interested) language (English (hey, many native speakers murder English) Hebrew, Greek), and technology (hardware, networking, Unix, COBOL, C++, FORTRAN). Those are my marketable skills.

I was also born and raised on a horse farm, so I'm good at animal husbandry and straight-up busting my ass. Growing up around such people means I'm also a skilled hunter (gun, bow, snare) and wildcrafting. Those are the skills that'll get me through an apocalypse.

I realized I was good at the sciences when I kept finding errors and misconceptions in school science textbooks. Many times the teachers wouldn't believe my version so I had to visit the library and build my case (pre-WWW era). Good times, good times.

Edit: I can also fold a map. Does that still count for anything?

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

I can take a hammer and punch to remove screws.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I can cook here and there. I could be the chef of the apocalypse. Hopefully not resorting to Terminus ways ( The Walking Dead reference).

Some decent survival skills as well such as fishing, hunting, and foraging,

I could build a decent makeshift shelter and start a fire with flint rocks or some stones.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 4myAmuzumament

@thegerg said:

As far as my skills go, on the civilian side I'm a hell of a cook. I've competed in a number of culinary competitions and was on the second place team on a state-wide culinary competition a few years back. I also spent a decade in the military doing things ranging from logistical resupply and life support operations, commanding a forward support company in a third-world shithole, to leading MP training teams, to BDE level planning. Oh yeah, I can also stack up boxes.

That's pretty impressive. I hope I run into you if an apocalypse were to ever arise. We could stack boxes together and you could cook me stuff.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 4myAmuzumament

@TheFlush: did you do that stuff freelance, work, or for school? were you paid?

You change styles up a lot; your work is very diversified. Have you been doing stuff like this long?

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

@TheFlush: did you do that stuff freelance, work, or for school? were you paid?

You change styles up a lot; your work is very diversified. Have you been doing stuff like this long?

I'm the art director at an online agency, so this is my fulltime job. I've been doing this since 14 years now (jeez time flies!)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm good at nothing.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hippiesanta

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

you may not be good in England .... but try go back to your ancestor roots India ..... you will be praise because you have some thick british accent, you dress like people from the future, you smells like fish and chips and lavender, your pound-sterling currency automatically makes you rich in India ........

basically .... you are a god and a superstar if you go there ... and everybody will keep staring at your godly british look ..

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sukraj

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

you may not be good in England .... but try go back to your ancestor roots India ..... you will be praise because you have some thick british accent, you dress like people from the future, you smells like fish and chips and lavender, your pound-sterling currency automatically makes you rich in India ........

basically .... you are a god and a superstar if you go there ... and everybody will keep staring at your godly british look ..

Its been 20 years since I went to India.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hippiesanta

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

I love india .. my last trip there was 10 years ago .... people are overly friendly to stanger... (like this man) lol

go backpack in india .....meet @indzman and he'll whorship you .... lol ........

*sorry indzman ... just kidding

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

I love india .. my last trip there was 10 years ago .... people are overly friendly to stanger... (like this man) lol

go backpack in india .....meet @indzman and he'll whorship you .... lol ........

Ehhh, i 'll worship if Sukraj is a stunning girl and willing to bed me LOL.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 indzman

I'm quite good at Demons, Dark Souls I and II , if it counts =P J/K

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

I'm pretty knowledgeable in many sciences (physics, astronomy, geology, biology) history (ancient civilizations and WW2 are the periods I find most interested) language (English (hey, many native speakers murder English) Hebrew, Greek), and technology (hardware, networking, Unix, COBOL, C++, FORTRAN). Those are my marketable skills.

I was also born and raised on a horse farm, so I'm good at animal husbandry and straight-up busting my ass. Growing up around such people means I'm also a skilled hunter (gun, bow, snare) and wildcrafting. Those are the skills that'll get me through an apocalypse.

I realized I was good at the sciences when I kept finding errors and misconceptions in school science textbooks. Many times the teachers wouldn't believe my version so I had to visit the library and build my case (pre-WWW era). Good times, good times.

Edit: I can also fold a map. Does that still count for anything?

What does knowledgeable in sciences mean to you? That's quite a broad range of fields in science, and I find even many PhD holders to be knowledgeable in maybe one or two fields...but not four as diverse as the one's you listed. I would say I know a little bit of physics and chemistry, but even after studying both at a college level for a while (At this point I've probably taken 6 semesters of physics courses, Mechanics, E&M, Modern Physics, Static mechanics, Themodynamics/fluid mechanics, Semiconductor device physics...damn EE curriculum) I still wouldn't call myself truly knowledgeable.

I'm not an expert in anything truly, but I do have marketable skills. I can use Microsoft Office pretty well, C programming, verliog (circuit coding language), I'm decent doing FPGA work (guess that falls under verilog :P ), and I have a shit ton of laboratory experience. Next semester I'll be learning more advanced methods for C and assembly language along with other things, hoping to work with a professor on "bio-inspired logic design" research, basically low voltage switching transistors.

As far as "survival skills" I can play a mean guitar sing-a-long and cook very well so I'm sure those around me would be in a pleasant mood. I'm also fairly skilled at repurposing old things into new devices.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Short version: I'm a patient observer, interpreter, and teacher.

In other words, I observe, observe, and observe until I grasp the big picture. Therefore I am neither rash in my decision making, in my response to people, and in my conclusions regarding theological and philosophical ideas. When I make the decision and am confident in my understanding I stick with it entirely.

- What this means with people is that I am patient with them even when they are difficult. Perhaps I just do not yet know the whole story. I like figuring them out and helping them through their problems.

- What this means with ideas and concepts would be that I study, study, and study until I am confident in what is to be determined as a truth. Right now I have completed a B.A. in Christian Studies and have completed almost 70 hours of a Masters of Divinity in Christian Ministry. Even still, there are some concepts within the realm of theology and biblical interpretation that I still have not made conclusions on despite having completed almost 190 hours worth of classes total. However, on certain concepts that I have studied "enough," I will be hard to be persuaded otherwise unless I find some absolutely explicit information stating otherwise.

- When dealing with decisions, I struggle with being indecisive over decisions that have a greater impact on life. However, when I decide, the decision is not quickly changed.

- With regard to the interpreter aspect, I am one who seeks clarity. I am one of the first people to acknowledge ambiguity within language and quickly acknowledge all interpretations, even the outlandish ones. This interpretation skills provides itself in being able to interpret well everything from ancient Greek texts of the Bible, people's statements in daily conversation, and, which has oddly been quite useful, difficult accents. This too means I am known among my friends as one who makes jokes. The jokes often have been considered "dad humor" by many.

- And in a slightly different note, as I am capable of grasping people and information well, on a very regular basis I am told that I teach well. I rarely have issue determining where a person is in their understanding and assuming I have the knowledge of a particular field I am quite capable of increasing their understanding of that field. As examples of this exhibiting itself in life, I have taught around 300 Bible studies for various ages and in my current job I am an official trainer for new hires.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@achilles614 said:

What does knowledgeable in sciences mean to you?

It means I can both follow and understand just about anything presented. I've spent a lot of time studying the sciences all my life, and growing up and living just down the road from ORNL I've always been surrounded by scientists. I've been listening to them since I was a tot.

I'm not going to say that I'm as knowledgeable as a PhD holder, but I know my shit.

Also, if I read something I know it forever. I'm very good at retaining ideas and concepts.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sukraj

@indzman said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

I'm thinking of taking the family to India and the thing I love about india is the food and you're right everyone is so friendly over there.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sukraj

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

I'll worship both of you

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 indzman

@sukraj said:

@indzman said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

I'm thinking of taking the family to India and the thing I love about india is the food and you're right everyone is so friendly over there.

Hope you have a good time on your visit :)

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#44 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I'm pretty good at farting in public and pretending that someone else did it.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

I'm good at writing. I went to college to get better at it. Now I live in LA, and I get paid to write (and now direct as well). If you love something that you're good at, it's very possible to turn that into a career.

Or as the Joker said it best -- "If you're good at something, never do it for free."

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sukraj

@indzman said:

@sukraj said:

@indzman said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

Hope you have a good time on your visit :)

Thanks mate

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

I think I am above average in everything that's interesting. But not close to an expert in anything.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hippiesanta

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

@hippiesanta said:

@sukraj said:

I'm good at nothing.

I'll worship both of you