What's the cheapest car fuel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Mate of mine was actually asking me this and couldn't answer him. For long distance travels (he does them a lot) he's looking to buy his first car but he is overshadowed in doubt. What would be the cheapest and most economical choice in terms of fuel?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Depends on what kind of vehicle he is looking for.

-- tl:dr at the end --

Sub-compacts are great on fuel, but they tend to not be great for highway driving (both for comfort and transmission gearing) and are terrible for transporting anything (including people).

For instance, my car (2012 Kia Rio5) is advertised as a car capable of 8.8 city/6.3 hwy l/100km. In practice, I get about 9.5 l/100km city and 6.9 l/100km hwy (at 100 km/h). It's a great little car, but will only seat two people comfortably (the key word here) and can carry about a person's worth of cargo. Tool up to anything faster than 100 km/h (such as in Alberta or Saskatchewan where the speed limit is 110 km/h) and the consumption jumps into the high 7's per 100.

The car is designed to be a short-range people transporter for a couple or very small family. Not a long-range highway runner.

A brand new Dodge Charger is claimed to get 12.2 city/7.7 hwy with the Pentastar V6 (assuming my numbers, that would be about 13 and 8 in real life) which isn't that much worse considering it's about three times the size and could likely comfortably seat 5 people with all their luggage in the trunk.

--

In the end, I would recommend something midsize, and something that is geared to run the highway speed he wants to run (i.e. if he does interstates, he should be at low rpms in the top gear at say 70 mph, running anything above about 1500-2000 is just wasting fuel),

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Gasoline.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@thegerg said:

@PurpleMan5000: Where I live (North America) CNG is generally cheaper than gasoline.

CNG is cheaper if you have the logistics to actually pull it off (meaning that you live somewhere where there is actually a CNG fueling infrastructure). Electricity is also cheaper if you ignore the initial cost of the vehicle itself. For most people, the cheapest, most practical fuel supply is gasoline, though.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

gravity.

just make sure you're only ever travelling downhill