What Happens When You Die? Evidence Suggests Time Simply Reboots

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Citrus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Citrus25
Member since 2009 • 2466 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lanza/what-happens-when-you-die_b_596600.html

What happens when we die? Do we rot into the ground, or do we go to heaven (or hell, if we've been bad)? Experiments suggest the answer is simpler than anyone thought. Without the glue of consciousness, time essentially reboots.

The mystery of life and death can't be examined by visiting the Galapagos or looking through a microscope. It lies deeper. It involves our very selves. We awake in the present. There are stairs below us that we appear to have climbed; there are stairs above us that go upward into the unknown future. But the mind stands at the door by which we entered and gives us the memories by which we go about our day. Everything is ordered and predictable. We're like cuckoo birds who appear through a door each morning. We fancy there's a clockwork set in motion at the beginning of time.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
So... what happens to me?
flash_drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 flash_drive
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
I still like the idea of heaven, but this is cool I guess.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

There were a lot of words in that article, but I can't say my brain successfully parsed them into something that was semantically meaningful.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Yes, but what happens to ME (my thoughts, my memories, my conscience)? I'd like to believe I'm headed to a paradise of some sort. Anything is better than rotting in the ground.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#6 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

There were a lot of words in that article, but I can't say my brain successfully parsed them into something that was semantically meaningful.

GabuEx
Seems like he read Kant and thought it was kinda cool.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
Am I missing something? Because I couldn't find a piece of that article that made any damn sense. :?
Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts
What?
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Am I missing something? Because I couldn't find a piece of that article that made any damn sense. :?LZ71
All I got was that the empirical world is subjective because space and time are our means of viewing it. Not sure how that answers the question of life after death... other than, maybe, the afterlife won't be in space and time. I skim read it, though.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If Gabu can't understand it, I won't even try.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
You know, I read through that article three times, and I still have no idea what the author means. :?
KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

What is this i don't even.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
? Some of the editorials on the Huffington Post are pure opinion. Hell the other day I saw an "article" that detailed some science to back up Homeopathy and argued that skeptics weren't giving it a chance. Shenanigans I say.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
While the concept is extremely interesting, the article, despite mentioning "experiments" several times, never names these experiments. The story about the dragonfly seems irrelevant; either that or he is drawing a conclusion from it that I can't link to the story itself.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I think the article writer might have been dropping peyote when contemplating this issue. All the evidence we have is that the body ceases to function, and the consciousness along with it. What evidence suggests that consciousness as it exists in the living body continues on after death? The physical matter and energy continues to exist... but it changes form and that form of the human body is what defines our existence.

Avatar image for MisterBombastic
MisterBombastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MisterBombastic
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts
So like...the tv show Lost or something?
Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

I didn't get anything out of that article. :?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

While the concept is extremely interesting, the article, despite mentioning "experiments" several times, never names these experiments. The story about the dragonfly seems irrelevant; either that or he is drawing a conclusion from it that I can't link to the story itself. Theokhoth

Can you fill us in as to what this concept exactly is? I've read the article repeatedly and I have no idea what it's even putting forth as a hypothesis for what happens after death.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

He seems to be just talking rather than reporting anything meaningful, without much point or fact or anything really.

"Blah Blah Blah, Einstien, blah blah, Quantum Theory" I guess he just read a book that actually said something useful.

Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
w... WHAT!?
superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

i think this article should be titled differently interesting though

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]While the concept is extremely interesting, the article, despite mentioning "experiments" several times, never names these experiments. The story about the dragonfly seems irrelevant; either that or he is drawing a conclusion from it that I can't link to the story itself. GabuEx

Can you fill us in as to what this concept exactly is? I've read the article repeatedly and I have no idea what it's even putting forth as a hypothesis for what happens after death.

It's difficult for me to describe. Essentially it's the belief that consciousness precedes (and creates) nature rather than the other way around; that the universe and everything is shaped by our brains (rather than OUR PERCEPTION OF reality, reality itself is affected by our very existence). So when we die (though "death" isn't real under this viewpoint), all that happens is time and nature reset according to our new existence (reincarnation? Something else? I don't know).

Think of it like this. When we see a sunset, we are not actually seeing the sunset; we are seeing our brain's interpretation of the sunset. One idea is that we are seeing a reality separate from ourselves and our brain is interpreting that reality. But this theory suggests that the reality is shaped by our consciousness.

I hope that makes some sense.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox

It's difficult for me to describe. Essentially it's the belief that life precedes (and creates) nature rather than the other way around; that the universe and everything is shaped by our brains (rather than OUR PERCEPTION OF reality, reality itself is affected by our very existence). So when we die (though "death" isn't real under this viewpoint), all that happens is time and nature reset according to our new existence (reincarnation? Something else? I don't know). I hope that makes some sense.

Theokhoth

So basically, a drug-fueled philosophical meandering.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]While the concept is extremely interesting, the article, despite mentioning "experiments" several times, never names these experiments. The story about the dragonfly seems irrelevant; either that or he is drawing a conclusion from it that I can't link to the story itself. Theokhoth

It's difficult for me to describe. Essentially it's the belief that consciousness precedes (and creates) nature rather than the other way around; that the universe and everything is shaped by our brains (rather than OUR PERCEPTION OF reality, reality itself is affected by our very existence). So when we die (though "death" isn't real under this viewpoint), all that happens is time and nature reset according to our new existence (reincarnation? Something else? I don't know).

Think of it like this. When we see a sunset, we are not actually seeing the sunset; we are seeing our brain's interpretation of the sunset. One idea is that we are seeing a reality separate from ourselves and our brain is interpreting that reality. But this theory suggests that the reality is shaped by our consciousness.

I hope that makes some sense.

It makes way more sense than that article, and it certainly is an interesting concept. I'm not really inclined to believe it though.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] It's difficult for me to describe. Essentially it's the belief that life precedes (and creates) nature rather than the other way around; that the universe and everything is shaped by our brains (rather than OUR PERCEPTION OF reality, reality itself is affected by our very existence). So when we die (though "death" isn't real under this viewpoint), all that happens is time and nature reset according to our new existence (reincarnation? Something else? I don't know). I hope that makes some sense.

foxhound_fox

So basically, a drug-fueled philosophical meandering.

It's actually very interesting (my description does not do it justice) and is a valid consideration dating back many years. It's in The Matrix, even (What is real? If "real" is what you see, hear, taste, smell and touch then reality is nothing but electrical signals interpreted by our brain, and our brain could be getting it all wrong and we'd never know the difference).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox

It's actually very interesting (my description does not do it justice) and is a valid consideration dating back many years. It's in The Matrix, even (What is real? If "real" is what you see, hear, taste, smell and touch then reality is nothing but electrical signals interpreted by our brain, and our brain could be getting it all wrong and we'd never know the difference).

Theokhoth

Yeah sure, its interesting... but it really has no scientific bearing, considering all it does is continue an ontological question that has been burning the minds of philosophers since the time of the Buddha. "All we are is the result of what we have thought." The first line of the Dhammapada.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"] It's actually very interesting (my description does not do it justice) and is a valid consideration dating back many years. It's in The Matrix, even (What is real? If "real" is what you see, hear, taste, smell and touch then reality is nothing but electrical signals interpreted by our brain, and our brain could be getting it all wrong and we'd never know the difference).

foxhound_fox

Yeah sure, its interesting... but it really has no scientific bearing, considering all it does is continue an ontological question that has been burning the minds of philosophers since the time of the Buddha. "All we are is the result of what we have thought." The first line of the Dhammapada.

Well, I'm not sure it's meant to have scientific bearing, though the idea is similar to Schroedinger's Cat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

From what i got in the article is that he's saying time and space aren't linear, and i think he's saying they aren't even cyclical but some crazy criss-cross of events stitched together by your memories and consciousness. When someone dies, the time and space created by your conscious resets to a specific point in your timeline and you start over again but it seems it doesn't have to be directly back to your birth.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
What he's saying is that the mind creates reality and that thus when you die reality as you experience it resets. It's an extremely stupid idea as evidenced by the fact that you need a brain to have a mind and the brain most certainly rots away when you die, to say nothing of the fact that the idea would require that you be the only thing in the universe that actually exists. Looks like whoever wrote that is just another person who doesn't believe in any set religion yet who still feels compelled to believe that their must be an afterlife because reality is too depressing for them to handle.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#30 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

So, life IS a videogame?

You have to admit, though, it is a pretty interesting theory. I like it.

All this is really doing is putting a religious-type philosophy behind a theory in physics (I think. I know I saw something on the Discovery Channel once where a guy talked about this) where time is only a perception and that, if you could pull back far enough, you'd see that everything is actually happening at once. Time is just our way of dealing with all that information.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

SolidSnake35

I was thinking the same thing, but I really don't find that to be very in lines with what Kant said. Kant, for one, said that objects exist outside of consciousness, we just can't perceive them as they exist outside of our consciousness. Something about the article that didn't really sit right with me was that okay, when one person dies space and time go with them, but this idea of a reboot seems absurd. Unless you accept that everyone else in the world doesn't also have a similar stake in time and space, then they continue to go on after on individual passes on; the way the author made it sound was that as soon as one person died time and space rebooted. That brings me to two, Kant also wholly denied the notion that because we can only know that which appears to our mind, nothing exists except that which is within our mind. It seems to me that if you want to accept the author's assertion then you have to take a viewpoint that posits your own self as the only concsiousness of consequence in the universe. If that seems a reasonable assumption, then sure, time and space reboot when you die. However, I know many people who have died and time and space seemed to have gone on unaltered after their passing. This, to me, fortifies the notion that one person is not the center of the universe and therefore renders the author's assertion false, and also very non-Kantian.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

The concept behind it is quite complicated. Basically everything is interconected and everything is happening at the same time, we just experience it like this. Concensus reality is what they call it. Also Quantum Theory suggests the same thing, sub-atomic particles behave very strangely appearing and disappearing from nowhere which is impossible in the world as we understand it.

The book The Holographic Universe goes into it. Theres been alot of study on the subject.

That useless article gives you absolutely no actual information about it though.

Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Alacoque72
Member since 2008 • 1238 Posts

Can someone explain to me how things don't exist when they aren't being observed? I saw something about it on TV but I didn't get it. I think it's BS because how does unconcious matter know it's being observed? Light goes into your eyes from the matter, nothing comes out of you. So it can't know if it's being observed or not.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#34 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

theone86

I was thinking the same thing, but I really don't find that to be very in lines with what Kant said. Kant, for one, said that objects exist outside of consciousness, we just can't perceive them as they exist outside of our consciousness. Something about the article that didn't really sit right with me was that okay, when one person dies space and time go with them, but this idea of a reboot seems absurd. Unless you accept that everyone else in the world doesn't also have a similar stake in time and space, then they continue to go on after on individual passes on; the way the author made it sound was that as soon as one person died time and space rebooted. That brings me to two, Kant also wholly denied the notion that because we can only know that which appears to our mind, nothing exists except that which is within our mind. It seems to me that if you want to accept the author's assertion then you have to take a viewpoint that posits your own self as the only concsiousness of consequence in the universe. If that seems a reasonable assumption, then sure, time and space reboot when you die. However, I know many people who have died and time and space seemed to have gone on unaltered after their passing. This, to me, fortifies the notion that one person is not the center of the universe and therefore renders the author's assertion false, and also very non-Kantian.

I'm pretty sure I'm the chosen one.

I think what he's really trying to get at though, is that life is on a loop. I don't buy into a lot of that nothing exists except how we precieve it stuff. Because it doesn't explain for other people at all. But, it does make some kind of strange sense that maybe what we're doing is relieve the memories of our conciousness on an undending loop after we've already died. And that sort of explains all his other theories, because then things could only exist inside our mind, because technicaly we'd no longer be in a physical world.

Anyway, I'm just saying.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Am I missing something? Because I couldn't find a piece of that article that made any damn sense. :?LZ71
This
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
What the hell is this?
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#37 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Darn, I was hoping to ride down a highway of sorts...
scorpion_great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 scorpion_great
Member since 2004 • 1572 Posts

Have any of you ever heard of "Baba Vanga"? Search her up, and I promise you it will open your eyes to how life works. Her story is amazing, and she's probably the most accurate prophet to ever live.

iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts

this is a cool way to look at it but there was absolutely no evidence and no, the dragonfly thing is just a story used to explain the concept.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Can I get whatever the author was smoking when he wrote this article?

Because daaaaammmnnn.

criegz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 criegz
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

We're all going to be trapped in Limbo until Leo Dicaprio can free us all! :cry:

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

A chimmey that goes squeek squeek but won't rattle for long, how can you not get that? Seriously, that explained everything.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

What evidence? NO ONE knows what happens after death.

Mehdi-Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 Mehdi-Y
Member since 2008 • 1028 Posts
Wha?
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I hear it's amazing when the Purple-stuffed worm in Flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw-blink on Hari-kiri Rock! I need scissors! 61!

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i'm trying to read the whole thing backwards,..i'll let you know if it makes sense this way.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand completely. I like where it's going though, thinking about death with consciousness and time.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Ok......frolicking through the meadows is clear evidence of a spiritual reboot. I can't believe the answer was so simple :o

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#49 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

Called it. Literally.