What do you think of the (more or less) Two Party System of American Politics?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TechTrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TechTrek
Member since 2011 • 88 Posts

I personally think that its very limiting and forces people to follow these pre-conceived ideals and principles which essentially shut out anyone who doesn't belong to either party. I mean, when's the last time that we had a President who wasn't a Democrat or a Replublican? It's a shame because anyone who's neither a Democrat or a Republican stands no chance of attaining high positions like that of the President or a member of Congress. It also creates this opposition which turns Americans against one another and makes passing bills and policies more difficult than it needs to be. Anyhow, what do you guys think?

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts

First of all, it is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Dylan what is yours? I hope you are enjoying your time here in OT and I'm sure it will continue for an extended period of time.

Secondly, I'm Canadian. I have very limited knowledge of American politics, or Canadian politics for that matter. I hope you understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
The bi-partisan system and winner-take-all election set up annoys the hell out of me for the nearly complete stifling of third parties. All third parties can do here is basically 1. Make a ruckus so one of the big parties decides to take their issue up to get support of hte voters who support the third party 2. Siphon votes from a big party. Heck, because of this third parties have stopped being third parties, just interest groups that have decided to take the label of a political party. They no longer target a wide range of issues, just narrow single issued groups in hopes that one of the big guys takes on their issues if it attracts attention.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
The main difference between the two parties is that they serve different lobbyists from different groups and industries. Third parties can't fix this, either. It's a fantasy to believe the various third parties would be better if they seized power.
pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

I wish they got rid of the political systems. It would force peopleto follow what is going on etc, inside of voting strictly for a certain party,etc.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I was under the impression that people in America vote for candidates and not really worried about party alligiences. I'm studying US politics btw.

TechTrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TechTrek

I was under the impression that people in America vote for candidates and not really worried about party alligiences. I'm studying US politics btw.

Ilovegames1992

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178862 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

TechTrek

Actually the case is that generally one party is more in line with their political views than the other....and thus they favor said candidate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Ilovegames1992

That is the correct concept, people can run independently and you vote for candidates not parties however the entire political system is dominated by the bi-partisan system, i will explain why:

recognizable platform: By politicians grouping into republican or democrat you are able to get a base knowledge of their beliefs, conservative or liberal swinging. This will be the easiest for the average american who does not keep up with politics, they will see "republican" on a candidate and think ok i will vote for him in the elections because i'm conservative. This also works in the political system itself, in the senate and house it is party dominated, the major party has more power, and the two parties give general allegiances and make the bill writer be able to judge whether his bill will pass based on the party climate in the congress.

Backing for candidates: The republican and Democratic parties can provide the candidate with huge financial support, running for an office in america is extremely expensive, you would more or less need to be a billionare to run for president independently. The parties can afford to put up someone they want to run. The parties also give you established connections to other politicians and interest groups.

Winner takes all elections: I assume you know how the president gets elected, with the electoral college and each senate and house member from a state qualifies that state for an electoral vote district, where the voter sfrom the congresional district vote for a pres. The party that gets the majorty of districts in a state won, wins all the electoral votes, regardless if some districts voted against that candidate. This can have a third party candidate have 0 electoral votes, but 30% of the popular vote for example.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I'm making assumptions here, but I imagine other parties are locked out by the cost of campaigning against the two major parties. Campaign spending should be restricted.
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
Political parties are ruining america, thats why george washington warned us to stay away from them. People blindly vote along party lines not even knowing what the candidate stands for and its pathetic.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Both parties are made up of moron.
MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I think if we had everyone actually working together that it would benefit us

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

both sides are mostly the same, both sides mostly want to do what they think is best for the country, and both sides have been hijacked by radicals, i see the left extreme as worse for the population than the right extreme but both extremes are unacceptable

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
The rules of the system encourages a two party domination. It's just how it works.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Secondly, I'm Canadian. I have very limited knowledge of American politics, or Canadian politics for that matter. I hope you understand.

Dylan_11
This describes me as well. However, I think that having multiple parties instead of just two is a better idea because then at least you have more of a choice, you don't just have to pick the lesser of two evils.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="TechTrek"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

LJS9502_basic

Actually the case is that generally one party is more in line with their political views than the other....and thus they favor said candidate.

its more so the case that candidates try to appease their party till post primary than they try to run to center to win the election vie the popular vote, this insures we get a liar for a leader.

TechTrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TechTrek

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="TechTrek"]

surrealnumber5

its more so the case that candidates try to appease their party till post primary than they try to run to center to win the election vie the popular vote, this insures we get a liar for a leader.

I couldn't help but laugh. :lol: If I ran for the Presidency, my slogan would be "I'm just going to be frank about this...".

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
You dont need multiple parties when they're all going to end up the same. They'll do/say anything to get elected. Just look at the UK; three parties instead of two, yet the god damned Liberal party had buddied up with the Conservatives just so they can get a piece of the power. They've abandoned literally everything they supposedly stood for in exchange for getting to be in office. I imagine it's the same in the US. All parties are pretty much centre when it comes to elections and campaigning.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="TechTrek"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Actually the case is that generally one party is more in line with their political views than the other....and thus they favor said candidate.

I couldn't help but laugh. :lol: If I ran for the Presidency, my slogan would be "I'm just going to be frank about this...".

gets ron paul killed in the primary's every time, even though he kill in popular polls and wins debates like no other in the arena, but to become president you must pass the primary
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Both parties are made up of moron.SF_KiLLaMaN
Yep, you either have all political ideas to the left of the spectrum or all political ideas to the right of the spectrum. With a 2 party system, at least these days, nothing can get done because that would required 1 party to join another party. Not enough middle men to get the job done.
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

Crooks to the left of me, crooks to my right.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surrealnumber5

Crooks to the left of me, crooks to my right.

YellowOneKinobi

and that is why we need just a few good men

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
It sucks. Polarizes the nation. Leaves out potential geniuses who can see both ways.
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Its terrible, just seems to lead to only extremes really being represented with no real rational thought.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
I think if the Tea Party actually became a political party we would see our current system evolve into a tripartisan system. TP has a huge following, and most of the good ol boy GOP members don't like them anyway. On the other hand, we as citizens need to understand that it's our civic duty to educate ourselves on what's really going on. We can't sit back and believe everything CNN, MSNBC, and FOX tells us. Blindly going to the polls and voting for a guy because he's half black is what's destroying our political system, and holding our country back.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
It's a way for a country filled with different people to commune. If it were a one-party system, chances are it would have been changed to multiple parties again. I suppose the main reason is the networking. The popular parties have the most recognition, being supported by the wealthy.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
bi-partisan system has less party discipline....
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]

XilePrincess

This describes me as well. However, I think that having multiple parties instead of just two is a better idea because then at least you have more of a choice, you don't just have to pick the lesser of two evils.

The one thing that always leaves me scratching my head about the multi-party systems is the coalitions. How two parties that seem to differ so much can just join together makes no sense.

I do not believe that the two party system is as bad as many would like to think. The presidential election is decided by independent voters whom vote on which candidate they feel is better, not which party. This also explains how the Republicans have held the mayor seat of NYC since 1994 (blah blah blah Bloomberg is not an Independent). Our system tends to highlight the person and not the party.

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

"United we stand, divided we fall."

I'd love to say that the two party system sucks, because it does, but what is the alternative? A three part system? Five?

The more you split up the country, the worse off it is, but you can't "unify" the entire nation either. It just isn't possible.

The only time our nation is ever MOSTLY in agreement is when we ALL have a common enemy. Someone attacks America? We all join hands. Natural disaster? Most of us come to each others aid. When everything is daily routine, we are just a nation divided.

What causes all of the issues is the necessity of breaking the nation down into different status types. Each body then wants something different, and each body has a different representation.

It is crap, but how else can it be?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think my dislike of the political system has less to do with the number of parties and more to do with the overall any democratic system works. Often times the "right" thing to do is not always the most popular thing to do. For instance, in order to balance a budget you either need to raise taxes or cut entitlements. Neither is going to be popular with the voters, but it needs to be done. Politicans often care more about pleasing voters than doing what they feel is the right thing. It's not always there fault - you can't enact policy if you're not elected. So in a sense, it's a broken system. However, I don't know what I would do to change that.

I think a lot of the trouble lies with the voters themselves. They often stick their heads in the ground and don't follow the issues. Or worse, they knowa little bit about things but not enough to fully understand and make erroneous assumptions.

RoyTheViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RoyTheViking
Member since 2005 • 3574 Posts

It's not a system without it's problems, but if we didn't have it, it could easily create for a one-party dominance. As an example, lets say that the USA has an equal distribution among the political spectrum, but the liberal left has a far left party, and a more conservative center-left party. Because those parties would split all the votes from the center to the left, the conservative right party would win in a 50-25-25 landslide, which, as a republican, I would totally go for.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 surrealnumber5

I think my dislike of the political system has less to do with the number of parties and more to do with the overall any democratic system works. Often times the "right" thing to do is not always the most popular thing to do. For instance, in order to balance a budget you either need to raise taxes or cut entitlements. Neither is going to be popular with the voters, but it needs to be done. Politicans often care more about pleasing voters than doing what they feel is the right thing. It's not always there fault - you can't enact policy if you're not elected. So in a sense, it's a broken system. However, I don't know what I would do to change that.

I think a lot of the trouble lies with the voters themselves. They often stick their heads in the ground and don't follow the issues. Or worse, they knowa little bit about things but not enough to fully understand and make erroneous assumptions.

sonicare

my brother often argues with me that this is the case against my "free" view and for his "elitist" view. the "dumb masses" have no higher cognitive thought and actually want to be told what to do and what needs to be done.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

I personally think that its very limiting and forces people to follow these pre-conceived ideals and principles which essentially shut out anyone who doesn't belong to either party. I mean, when's the last time that we had a President who wasn't a Democrat or a Replublican? It's a shame because anyone who's neither a Democrat or a Republican stands no chance of attaining high positions like that of the President or a member of Congress. It also creates this opposition which turns Americans against one another and makes passing bills and policies more difficult than it needs to be. Anyhow, what do you guys think?

TechTrek

It doesn't force people to do anything. Most people are just to dumb or lazy to think outside the box and support anything that isn't being force fed to them by the media. If the people were more reasonable we wouldn't have this problem.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

The best option, under ideal circumstances, would be to get rid of political parties altogether. They serve no beneficial purpose, only psychologically at most. Have people start vooting solely based on what views they support and what views the candidates support, not by party lines. That's innately biased and can't possible have thegreatest outcome because it puts affiliation over the greater good. Even if only happens rarely, which I think we can agree is not the case, it's too often.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I want a successful moderate 3rd party badly...

Our government's built around the principle of balance in 3s.

Sadly that likely won't happen.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="Dylan_11"]

limpbizkit818

The one thing that always leaves me scratching my head about the multi-party systems is the coalitions. How two parties that seem to differ so much can just join together makes no sense.

I do not believe that the two party system is as bad as many would like to think. The presidential election is decided by independent voters whom vote on which candidate they feel is better, not which party. This also explains how the Republicans have held the mayor seat of NYC since 1994 (blah blah blah Bloomberg is not an Independent). Our system tends to highlight the person and not the party.

They can't. That is why nothing important ever gets done in this damn country. You may see some flashes of something passing through, but that is only because one party has enough people to pass it through even with the opposition voting against it. The only thing they ever agree on is the simple stuff.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

my brother often argues with me that this is the case against my "free" view and for his "elitist" view. the "dumb masses" have no higher cognitive thought and actually want to be told what to do and what needs to be done.

It's not even that people are dumb, it's just that no one wants to really know what's going on. As long as they don't have to pay more or receive less, that's all they care about.
ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts
bi-partisan system has less party discipline....funsohng
Lack of party discipline in the US has more to do with Federalism, in how parties are more State-centered than nationally unified. The UK pretty much has a two-party system, yet party discipline is strong.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
The only way the government can work is with two parties. It doesn't have to be the Democrats and Republicans, but unfortunately, a party in power is easier to keep in power. If our elections were held with a bunch of major parties then nothing could possibly get done in our government or elections.
genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts

The Two Party system is a joke that causes more harm than good.

Seajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Seajack
Member since 2011 • 365 Posts
It's stupid.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

genfactor
And your alternative would be?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="sonicare"] It's not even that people are dumb, it's just that no one wants to really know what's going on. As long as they don't have to pay more or receive less, that's all they care about.

the funny thing is, you often see the people who say greed is the problem with the market are the same ones who want more from the government at the expense of others, they also tend to be quite young.
genfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 genfactor
Member since 2004 • 1472 Posts

[QUOTE="genfactor"]

Theokhoth

I never claimed to be smart enough to have an alternative. I'm mostly speaking out of frustration that our only options are the infrared or the ultraviolet. There are no viable 3rd, 4th or 5th party options because the big two use their power and influence to limit the ability of alternative parties to be credible threats to the political monopolies that the Democrats and Republicans have created for themselves.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

The only way the government can work is with two parties. It doesn't have to be the Democrats and Republicans, but unfortunately, a party in power is easier to keep in power. If our elections were held with a bunch of major parties then nothing could possibly get done in our government or elections. Theokhoth

Exactly. When the Federalists held office they thought that the best thing was that as long as there were many minorities there could never be a majority.

And then when the Federalists fell the only part that was left was the Democratic party led by Jackson. But even though now there was one party there was still a part of the country that didn't like Jackson and what his policies were so they went and created the Whig party. No matter what you do there is always going to be someone who wants something different and will have people behind them.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="genfactor"]

genfactor

I never claimed to be smart enough to have an alternative. I'm mostly speaking out of frustration that our only options are the infrared or the ultraviolet. There are no viable 3rd, 4th or 5th party options because the big two use their power and influence to limit the ability of alternative parties to be credible threats to the political monopolies that the Democrats and Republicans have created for themselves.

This is in fact WRONG.. Our system can hardly be considered two party system like the rest of the world.. Our two party system is candidate based where one candidate's views can radically be different from another in the same party.. While if we look at systems in the world that are multi party systems.. Most times you don't vote for the candidate.. You vote for the party on the ballot and the party picks who they wish to be put in that position.. This means that the parties in that system are far more narrow and extreme.. Furthermore most of these multi party systems have to create coloiations half the time to get anything done with other parties.. Leading right back to where they began.. To me the major criticisms I here about the system seem to be by people who have never opened a book regarding political science when it comes to the US's party system.. It is by no means the best.. But I would like to see where people think are the best.. Because they all can be picked a part and shown huge flaws in them.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]The only way the government can work is with two parties. It doesn't have to be the Democrats and Republicans, but unfortunately, a party in power is easier to keep in power. If our elections were held with a bunch of major parties then nothing could possibly get done in our government or elections. Hatiko

Exactly. When the Federalists held office they thought that the best thing was that as long as there were many minorities there could never be a majority.

And then when the Federalists fell the only part that was left was the Democratic party led by Jackson. But even though now there was one party there was still a part of the country that didn't like Jackson and what his policies were so they went and created the Whig party. No matter what you do there is always going to be someone who wants something different and will have people behind them.

But yet again the two parties are a party of candidates.. If we look at both parties or the equivlents back 100 years.. They are just about unrecognizable from today's.. Sometimes where viewpoints have taken a complete 180 in policy..

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Why do people act like it was planned? It is a product of how we vote in elections.