What do you think about the plans to build a Mosque near Ground Zero?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]As a Muslim myself, I think that Ground Zero isn't the best place to build a mosque, even given the fact that only extremists were responsible for 9/11.jwsoul

So how about you allow a Church to be built next to a Mosque in a Muslim Country. Or even on Musilm soil? Tolerence is needed tho but its getting tiring that its always Europe and America doing the work.

first a mosque, school, hospital, or something else near and dear to the people would have to be blown up when fully occupied by christian radicals in a muslim city and then a church built in its place.
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]

[QUOTE="taj7575"]

"Topic: What do you think about the plans to build a Mosque near Ground Zero?"

Of course some people will come in here and rage if it was just a Mosque. It's a community center building that also has a mosque in it.

taj7575

Again, biased towards who or against who?

Besides, that's how the various articles about it tend to put it as well.

SEARCH 1

SEARCH 2

You're just being picky

It's just an incorrect topic title that is all. Obviously those online articles will have that title, because they are all about stirring up controversy..

Here you go - Not that I like the huffington post, but it has been the only article that hasn't been biased.

I'm not being picky. I'm saying what is true, and that it's a community center. Building a mosque is different than being a community center.

Theres a Jewish community center near my house I go to sometimes. I'm not Jewish. And I also don't say I'm going to a synagogue.

So me using the same title or phrasing they use for discussion sake means I'm trying to stir up controversy myself? Is that why you think this thread is biased?

seems to be what u saying and sounds pretty picky

In any event, the mosque shoulddefinitely be included despite the rage from relatives of victims and "patriots". Without working together, we'll never get along together despite everyones individual stance of the situation

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Nothing good can come of this.
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
I don't see anything wrong in doing so but I can't help but feel that it's a bad idea all together.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

No, Just...No.

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

I would prefer they build a KFC there instead. If I ever am on vacation and I visit there I want to be sure I can get myself some snackers and a huge bucket of crispy chicken. If that doesn't work out, I can settle for a Taco Bell.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="taj7575"]

Brown people didn't really find countries. They were living there in the first place..:lol:

surrealnumber5

Nope. Try reading a little. :lol:

he is right "brown people didn't really FIND countries"

He was kidding...but nice try.

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 _R34LiTY_

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

Nope. Try reading a little. :lol:

SpartanMSU

he is right "brown people didn't really FIND countries"

He was kidding...but nice try.

lol

Brown & Proud !!! :D

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

So we can't build a church near where the Olympic bombing happened?

Anyway, isn't this supposed to be part of a community center?

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 _R34LiTY_

So we can't build a church near where the Olympic bombing happened?

Anyway, isn't this supposed to be part of a community center?

SgtKevali

yes, and that's where the uproar lies in. some don't want it to be part of the community for various understandable reasons, of course

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

I lmao when I heard about it.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

I actually thought this was a joke thread before I clicked on it

Avatar image for BlindBluMonstah
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 BlindBluMonstah
Member since 2009 • 13858 Posts

wow at the poll results :? i dont see why any one would really have a problem with this E:

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I think they should be allowed to do it, but I also think that they're either really stupid to be doing this or are purposefully trying to incite people.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178879 Posts
I don't think the architecture will work....I'm all about the aesthetics....
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

i don't think that's the best idea ever... it's a good concept, but that building is going to be destroyed within a few months by some 9/11 victim who thinks he/she is getting revenge

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#117 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
I fail to see how the teaching and practice of Islam is in any way similar to the suicidal and hateful extremists, but people opposed to this seem to be too ignorant to realize it. If it does get built, expect lots of hate and crime. Unfortunately, that's just the kind of country we live in, and shame on those people.
oneMoreComment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 oneMoreComment
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts

I believe in freedom to build whatever you want wherever you want if you do it legally. However the plans to build a Mosque near Ground Zero is just being done to offend people and to rub it in their faces. Its not being done for religious reasons otherwise it wouldn't be built there but in a place that wouldn't disturb the peace. I believe in God but most religions are just annoying and look to get as much attention as possible.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I think it is stupid that people dont want it built. It's not an insult to America it's a damn Mosque. We have freedom of religion for a reason here not freedom of religion when it is convenient for people. The Mosque isn't going to hurt anyone and if people hate it being built then who cares? Just because Muslim extremists do bad things doesn't mean you should judge a whole religion because of it.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

wow at the poll results :? i dont see why any one would really have a problem with this E:

BlindBluMonstah
I don't have a problem with it, but there are many people who have been through hell because of 9/11 (including Muslims). I know they have good intentions, but these Muslims really should have picked a better location. :S
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LJS9502_basic

I think it is stupid that people dont want it built. It's not an insult to America it's a damn Mosque. We have freedom of religion for a reason here not freedom of religion when it is convenient for people. The Mosque isn't going to hurt anyone and if people hate it being built then who cares? Just because Muslim extremists do bad things doesn't mean you should judge a whole religion because of it.

Film-Guy
Just what to point out that freedom of speech is also a freedom here so they have the right to complain....;)
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 _R34LiTY_

Film-Guy

Well they certainly have the right to display concern and/or objection to the idea, but I hope they realize it's for a good cause and not to rub anything in anyones face. People on both sides of the coin are paying a high price for those who flip the coin

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

LJS9502_basic

Just what to point out that freedom of speech is also a freedom here so they have the right to complain....;)

And of course we have the right to complain about them complaining about the mosque. Doesn't mean we want to ban their speech, it's just criticism.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

SgtKevali

And of course we have the right to complain about them complaining about the mosque. Doesn't mean we want to ban their speech, it's just criticism.

And your point?
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Just what to point out that freedom of speech is also a freedom here so they have the right to complain....;)LJS9502_basic

And your point?

That freedom of speech isn't really part of this discussion. People are arguing about whether they should complain, not whether they have the right to complain.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
... Isn't this exactly what Bush warned us about? They (extremists) hate us for our freedoms? So wouldn't being against this be pro extremist?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

And your point?

That freedom of speech isn't really part of this discussion. People are arguing about whether they should complain, not whether they have the right to complain.

If they have the right.....they can complain. We don't all have to think alike do we? Use freedom or lose it....your choice.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]And your point?LJS9502_basic

If they have the right.....they can complain. We don't all have to think alike do we? Use freedom or lose it....your choice.

They can, but it doesn't mean they have good reason to. And of course that's from my perspective, no need to point that out.

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#129 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

controversy like this is nothing new its the same as the vietnam memorial controversy/debates. some people just need something to complain about even if its not a big deal. its not even going to be on the site exactly nor is it just a mosque.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 LJS9502_basic

SgtKevali

They can, but it doesn't mean they have good reason to. And of course that's from my perspective, no need to point that out.

Doesn't matter. They may disagree with your opinion. But I don't see what that has to do with their right to speak.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#131 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I'm against any sort of religious thing, so I'm not happy about it in the slightest. However, I don't think it's an insult to America, but a memorial of some sort would really be better suited, or just a bigger building of greater importance than the centers.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#132 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

I don't think the architecture will work....I'm all about the aesthetics....LJS9502_basic

Thats why I feel the topic title is misleading.

It's a community center building, with a mosque in it. They are not building an actual mosque.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] If they have the right.....they can complain. We don't all have to think alike do we? Use freedom or lose it....your choice.LJS9502_basic

Doesn't matter. They may disagree with your opinion. But I don't see what that has to do with their right to speak.

...which leads back to my initial point that the whole discussion over the mosque doesn't have anything to do with freedom of speech. We're just criticizing them for complaining about it, we're not saying they cant...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 LJS9502_basic

SgtKevali

...which leads back to my initial point that the whole discussion over the mosque doesn't have anything to do with freedom of speech. We're just criticizing them for complaining about it, we're not saying they cant...

I fail to see why they should be criticized then. You may not agree...but you shouldn't criticize the exercising of their rights....
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
While it might not bee the best place to build one, however if they own the property then they can build pretty much what they want. Besides there a difference between a Muslim and Extremist terrorist.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#136 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
It would be nice if we stopped spending money on all religious buildings, Muslim or otherwise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Doesn't matter. They may disagree with your opinion. But I don't see what that has to do with their right to speak.LJS9502_basic

I fail to see why they should be criticized then. You may not agree...but you shouldn't criticize the exercising of their rights....

...... Hmm you can indeed be critical for the ridiculous outrage of this.. The peopel are specifically complaining about not its building, but specifically its of islamic origin.. This is makin the suggestion that the people building that are some how direclty related to the extremists that attacked on 9/11.. How is this a insult to american pride or what ever that poll choice is? Isn't the pride come from religious tolerance being one of the cornerstones of American society and freedom? Maybe if this specific organization or sect were preaching the exact same message of the 9/11 extremists I would agree.. But they are not.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Doesn't matter. They may disagree with your opinion. But I don't see what that has to do with their right to speak.LJS9502_basic

I'm criticising the anti-Muslim sentiment of their statements, not that they excercised their right to speech in in of itself.

If a racist starts complaining about blacks I shouldn't criticize him? :?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 LJS9502_basic

SgtKevali

I'm criticising the anti-Muslim sentiment of their statements, not that they excercised their speech in in of itself.

You may criticize his ideas.....not his use of free speech by elevating another freedom...which is what the OP did.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I fail to see why they should be criticized then. You may not agree...but you shouldn't criticize the exercising of their rights....LJS9502_basic

I'm criticising the anti-Muslim sentiment of their statements, not that they excercised their speech in in of itself.

You may criticize his ideas.....not his use of free speech by elevating another freedom...which is what the OP did.

Where did he do that?

But isn't it ironic that you're telling him to stop using his free speech?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 LJS9502_basic

SgtKevali

Where did he do that?

I didn't tell him to stop. I merely pointed out that while we have freedom of religion....freedom of speech exists also and thus I don't get the anger over someone stating their opinion. But I see that in this thread quite a few times.....;)
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

It is their property and it's a free country, so if they want to do so, go for it. Not really sure that it's a particularly brilliant idea.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
As a New Yorker I can say that most people around here are not happy about this............ at all (although I don't speak of everyone). I really don't see why the community board OKed this. It's not at all going to bring people together: just build it someplace else.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this. While I am a big believer in secularism, tolerance, and multiculturalism, I do question the motives of those behind this project. But at the end of the day, I don't really care that much if it gets built, and I don't think that there is a strong case for a third party (e.g. the government) preventing the construction of this building.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
As a New Yorker I can say that most people around here are not happy about this............ at all (although I don't speak of everyone). I really don't see why the community board OKed this. It's not at all going to bring people together: just build it someplace else. limpbizkit818
I'm a New Yorker too. and My Friends and Family etc.. Are not happy about it either.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I find it rephrensible that they're building a mosque near ground zero where, despite eight to nine years, the towers haven't been rebuilt or even replaced with a memorial tower. Instead Ground Zero is left there as if nothing happened in the past eight to nine years and a mosque is being built.

But this is my personal feelings and this nation allows freedom of worship. Their intentions are good, I just don't agree with the idea.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#147 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You may criticize his ideas.....not his use of free speech by elevating another freedom...which is what the OP did.LJS9502_basic

Where did he do that?

I didn't tell him to stop. I merely pointed out that while we have freedom of religion....freedom of speech exists also and thus I don't get the anger over someone stating their opinion. But I see that in this thread quite a few times.....;)

You are seriously way too biased when it comes to "anything" christianity and then america. The guy you initially quoted was only criticizing the opinion of those against this mosque, he had every right to do that. Are you really telling me that people shouldnt get angry over someone's opinion?:|

You just missed the huge irony in your post simply because you wanted to say something against it, try to not have pre-determined agandas and the likelihood of this would be reduced.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 LJS9502_basic

You are seriously way too biased when it comes to "anything" christianity and then america. The guy you initially quoted was only criticizing the opinion of those against this mosque, he had every right to do that. Are you really telling me that people shouldnt get angry over someone's opinion?:|

You just missed the huge irony in your post simply because you wanted to say something against it, try to not have pre-determined agandas and the likelihood of this would be reduced.

Gambler_3

:roll: No while he preached freedom of religion...I mentioned freedom of speech because picking and choosing freedoms isn't the way to go....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You may criticize his ideas.....not his use of free speech by elevating another freedom...which is what the OP did.LJS9502_basic

Where did he do that?

.. You don't get the anger over some ones opinions? Freedom of speech is about people binge protected from others trying to shut them up.. Not being free of criticism or angry rebuttals..