What do you think about the plans to build a Mosque near Ground Zero?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

A fair amount of New Yorkers are fuming over it.

What do you think about it?
Some say it's an insult to have a mosque located less than 2 blocks away from the site of the 9/11 attacks.

Some say it'd be good for the community and bring the community together.

I think the amount of uproar it's causing will only increase if they go through with it. Hate crimesmight follow if they do build the mosque at the location.

IMO, the bigger problem is the gross generalization of Islam

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
As a Muslim myself, I think that Ground Zero isn't the best place to build a mosque, even given the fact that only extremists were responsible for 9/11.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
been following this a little bit. imo i don't think there is anything wrong with it being built. for starters its not being built at ground zero, its going to be near ground zero. if that is unacceptable then what is the radius around ground zero in which we cannot built mosques? 5 blocks? 10 blocks? 50? you can't condemn an entire religion and the free practice thereof due to the actions of a few... unless you only like to give lip service about america and its liberties..
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Why not? It's their property, they can do as they wish. The government certainly shouldn't step in and stop this or anything ludicrous like that. Try to get a Church built near there too, if it's such a problem.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Its the US, suck it up people should have there way of life too.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
It's not even a mosque, it's a community center that CONTAINS a mosque. And even if it was just a mosque, I don't see how any non-racist would have a problem with it.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Don't care. That's as best as my feelings can come up with.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

Yeah, I don't think thats the most brilliant of plans I've come across.

Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
What do people think about plans to build an airport in NYC?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

It's not even a mosque, it's a community center that CONTAINS a mosque. And even if it was just a mosque, I don't see how any non-racist would have a problem with it.JML897
I thought muslim was a religion...?

play_thegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 play_thegame
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts
YES!!!! finally frankie boyles opinions are bieng heard!!!!!!!!! i mean, its not like al qaeda will try and momb the place again if theres a big mosque there?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]It's not even a mosque, it's a community center that CONTAINS a mosque. And even if it was just a mosque, I don't see how any non-racist would have a problem with it.racer8dan

I thought muslim was a religion...?

Religionist? Whatever, you get the point.

Muslim =/= bad person

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

I have no problem sith it but it is fueling the rampamt Islamophobia in the States.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
YES!!!! finally frankie boyles opinions are bieng heard!!!!!!!!! i mean, its not like al qaeda will try and momb the place again if theres a big mosque there?play_thegame
I detect sarcasm.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I don't think that there's anything wrong with it.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
its not actually a mosque, even if it was i wouldnt have an issue. Only simple minded individuals would
Avatar image for Atheos-Arkhaios
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Atheos-Arkhaios
Member since 2008 • 880 Posts

I think it's a horrible idea, and they are inviting criticism on themselves. Obviously they CAN because it's legal, but they should NOT because it is in extremely poor taste and highly offensive to many.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

All systems go, build the community center. We need to realize that the people that bombed (or whatever the proper term for it is) the Twin Towers weren't exactly Muslim. Think of it this way, how many people consider the Westboro Baptist Church to be Christians? This is basically the same thing.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I d lol
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 weezyfb

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its not actually a mosque, even if it was i wouldnt have an issue. Only simple minded individuals wouldracer8dan

That makes no sense. You can't see why people, specially new yorkers, could be offended by muslims building a mosque, next to where they just attacked towers that killed 2600+ inocent people/family members? If you can't see why the people of new york city may, "have an issue", then you are the simple minded one.

its not just a freaking mosque, it is a center that will have many other religious and other activities . If people can enraged because of one part of the building they are simple minded individuals to fear those who have lived in the area for years... You speak as if Muslims can be new yorkers?
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
This is a complete non-issue.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#23 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I think it's a horrible idea, and they are inviting criticism on themselves. Obviously they CAN because it's legal, but they should NOT because it is in extremely poor taste and highly offensive to many.

Atheos-Arkhaios

How is it in any way offensive?

They want a mosque in an area that is convient for them to go worship. And they're not even building it at ground zero... It's 2 blocks away.

No one is trying to make a statement... It's just a mosque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its not actually a mosque, even if it was i wouldnt have an issue. Only simple minded individuals wouldweezyfb

That makes no sense. You can't see why people, specially new yorkers, could be offended by muslims building a mosque, next to where they just attacked towers that killed 2600+ inocent people/family members? If you can't see why the people of new york city may, "have an issue", then you are the simple minded one.

its not just a freaking mosque, it is a center that will have many other religious and other activities . If people can enraged because of one part of the building they are simple minded individuals to fear those who have lived in the area for years... You speak as if Muslims can be new yorkers?

You said "even if it was" a mosque, people are simple minded if they have a problem with it. I feel you may think a little bit different, had your family members been killed in the attacks.

Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Atheos-Arkhaios

[QUOTE="Atheos-Arkhaios"]

BuryMe

How is it in any way offensive?

They want a mosque in an area that is convient for them to go worship. And they're not even building it at ground zero... It's 2 blocks away.

No one is trying to make a statement... It's just a mosque

Many people blame the religion itself for the extremism (which is an argument not without it's valid points). Although I think it's perfectly legal and fine for them to build it there since it's a community center and I wouldn't personally have a problem with it, it would be incredibly naive of them to not expect a backlash from the community. That's what I meant by it being a horrible idea.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JML897

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its not actually a mosque, even if it was i wouldnt have an issue. Only simple minded individuals wouldracer8dan

Terry Nichols, one of the co-conspirators in the Oklahoma City bombing, was a Christian. I REALLY hope they didn't build any churches in Oklahoma City after that bombing.

How is that any different from what you're saying?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts

Oh of course not, since every Muslim was in on 9/11, that would be offensive.:roll:

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 weezyfb

[QUOTE="weezyfb"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]That makes no sense. You can't see why people, specially new yorkers, could be offended by muslims building a mosque, next to where they just attacked towers that killed 2600+ inocent people/family members? If you can't see why the people of new york city may, "have an issue", then you are the simple minded one.

racer8dan

its not just a freaking mosque, it is a center that will have many other religious and other activities . If people can enraged because of one part of the building they are simple minded individuals to fear those who have lived in the area for years... You speak as if Muslims cant be new yorkers?

You said "even if it was" a mosque, people are simple minded if they have a problem with it. I feel you may think a little bit different, had your family members been killed in the attacks.

if my family members were killed by jews i wouldnt go around hating jews all my life. I see individuals, i dont group people toghether...

Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Atheos-Arkhaios

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its not actually a mosque, even if it was i wouldnt have an issue. Only simple minded individuals wouldJML897

Terry Nichols, one of the co-conspirators in the Oklahoma City bombing, was a Christian. I REALLY hope they didn't build any churches in Oklahoma City after that bombing.

This is a common fallacy made by people who compare general associations vs. actual MOTIVATORS for an attack, such as their religion. Last I checked, that bombing didn't spark a war with a group of Christian radicals who were hell-bent on murdering us for years to come?
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

[QUOTE="weezyfb"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]That makes no sense. You can't see why people, specially new yorkers, could be offended by muslims building a mosque, next to where they just attacked towers that killed 2600+ inocent people/family members? If you can't see why the people of new york city may, "have an issue", then you are the simple minded one.

racer8dan

What about the Muslims that died in the tower?
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

Seems like a pretty mute issues to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

All systems go, build the community center. We need to realize that the people that bombed (or whatever the proper term for it is) the Twin Towers weren't exactly Muslim. Think of it this way, how many people consider the Westboro Baptist Church to be Christians? This is basically the same thing.

Grodus5
What religion a group belongs to should be determined by what the fundamentals of a religion is and how closely a group's core beliefs matches up to those fundamentals. The no true Scottsman fallacy doesn't apply to religious groups, because groups identifying as Muslim doesn't necessarily make them Muslim. However, I know little of Islam although I've read about a few immoral passages in the Qu'ran. I don't know if any verses have said to commit acts of terrorism. In fact, I would be surprised if there wasn't a passage, given what I've heard about Islam. It seems like though that people are too protective of religion when it comes to extremists. They want to act as though the moderates truly belong to the religion, when in fact the opposite could be true. Legally, I see no problem with there being a mosque near Ground Zero. However, since I'm opposed to religion in general, I'm morally opposed to it. It's probably not the brightest idea for a Muslim community to do, but at least they're not letting social stigmas weigh them down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]its not actually a mosque, even if it was i wouldnt have an issue. Only simple minded individuals wouldJML897

Being that theres no mosque's in new york city, and then deciding to build one and choosing a location next to ground zero is of poor choice,seeing as how the act was "supposedly" carried out by a group of muslims. And also seeing as how so many new yorkers family members were lost in that attack. Calling people simple minded for not being able to relate to them is being simple minded. Build your mosque, is there not a better location than ground zero?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

Genetic_Code

What religion a group belongs to should be determined by what the fundamentals of a religion is and how closely a group's core beliefs matches up to those fundamentals. The no true Scottsman fallacy doesn't apply to religious groups, because groups identifying as Muslim doesn't necessarily make them Muslim. However, I know little of Islam although I've read about a few immoral passages in the Qu'ran. I don't know if any verses have said to commit acts of terrorism. In fact, I would be surprised if there wasn't a passage, given what I've heard about Islam. It seems like though that people are too protective of religion when it comes to extremists. They want to act as though the moderates truly belong to the religion, when in fact the opposite could be true. Legally, I see no problem with there being a mosque near Ground Zero. However, since I'm opposed to religion in general, I'm morally opposed to it. It's probably not the brightest idea for a Muslim community to do, but at least they're not letting social stigmas weigh them down.

Except its a violation of the first amendment.. Something far more important then any of your personal beliefs..

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 weezyfb

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]That makes no sense. You can't see why people, specially new yorkers, could be offended by muslims building a mosque, next to where they just attacked towers that killed 2600+ inocent people/family members? If you can't see why the people of new york city may, "have an issue", then you are the simple minded one.

racer8dan

Being that theres no mosque's in new york city, and then deciding to build one and choosing a location next to ground zero is of poor choice,seeing as how the act was "supposedly" carried out by a group of muslims. And also seeing as how so many new yorkers family members were lost in that attack. Calling people simple minded for not being able to relate to them is being simple minded. Build your mosque, is there not a better location than ground zero?

WRONG, there are plenty of mosques in NYC

Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Atheos-Arkhaios
[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

Genetic_Code

Of all the great Ayn Rand quotes, why that one? It's one of her thoughts that I never agreed with. And just so I stay on topic...@wstfld, if I was a Muslim and lived in New York, I think I would have the forethought to realize the pain that something like that may cause to the other New Yorkers, and would try to have it built somewhere else.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

Genetic_Code

From my limited understanding of Islam, the Quran teaches acceptance of other religions. This is why when the Arab Empire expanded back in the era right around Muhammad's time they were not allowed to force Islam on others. They were allowed to tax the heck out of non Muslims, but they could not force someone to adhere to Islamic principles. I know many Muslims that wish for nothing less than those terrorist groups to be completely wiped off the face of the Earth, as Islam does not teach terrorism.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5a79221380856

Except its a violation of the first amendment.. Something far more important then any of your personal beliefs..

sSubZerOo
I said the mosque can be built there. Of course I know my personal beliefs don't determine laws. That's why I clarified that I wasn't legally opposed to it.
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Atheos-Arkhaios

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"][QUOTE="Grodus5"]

sSubZerOo

Yes, legally nothing should be done to them for building it there.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I've questioned myself a lot and the truth is I would love to say that it's wrong for Mosque to be built near ground zero because it's easier that way to pin the blame on one large group of people. The fact is that many muslims did die in the terrorist attacks and many other muslims were strongly against the attacks. You cant generlize a entire group of people as being evil because not all of them are and it's not fair to the ones who aren't.

I don't understand how so many people can believe in such a horrible religion and while that may be my opinion the entire religion is just laughable to a smart normal person. This is why I have trouble with these people who follow the religion because it's hateful and destructive so I can't see why they follow it. However you have to look at how long ago 9/11 was, get over it and move on. So let them build there Mosque because the majority of them are probably really nice people who would just like to practice there beliefs. It does leave a bad taste in my mouth knowing that the people who flew the planes into the towers followed the same religion as the people who want to build this Mosque but not every muslim is a bad person.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5a79221380856
Of all the great Ayn Rand quotes, why that one? It's one of her thoughts that I never agreed with.Grodus5
I completely agree with it. Of course, I can only speak from personal experience. I can imagine a man settling for an unattractive woman because he himself views himself as unattractive. I believe a man's choice of a partner is a reflection of himself.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]That makes no sense. You can't see why people, specially new yorkers, could be offended by muslims building a mosque, next to where they just attacked towers that killed 2600+ inocent people/family members? If you can't see why the people of new york city may, "have an issue", then you are the simple minded one.

racer8dan

there are mosques in the city already.. and how big of a buffer zone is now needed then? who gets to decide?
Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jaguar_Shade
[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

comp_atkins

there are mosques in the city already.. and how big of a buffer zone is now needed then? who gets to decide?

Good upstanding WHITE Americans get to decide where brown people who worship funny gods get to live. And the brown people need special permits to prove they belong in America or else they get deported. It's not their country! It's White Americas country... but only because they did a wholesale slaughter of all the Native Americans who lived there and stole their land away from them in an orgy of blood, violence, and trickery.
Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jaguar_Shade

[QUOTE="Jaguar_Shade"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]You said "even if it was" a mosque, people are simple minded if they have a problem with it. I feel you may think a little bit different, had your family members been killed in the attacks.

racer8dan

I never realized everyone who is a muslim participated and approved of the attack. Could you please show me this information as all I've heard, read and seen is the muslim community condemning the actions of a radical group which does not represent them. I guess since all the attackers were men it was actually a sexist act, and that would mean all men supported 9/11 You are truly a world class dimwit sir. And it's your complete ignorance and aggressive nature that is the reason the majority of the planet thinks Americans are war frenzied racist intolerant **** who live to bomb brown people back into the 15th century. And while you are so quick to talk about the families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks, despite you not losing any family. The attack was on the World Trade Buildings with persons of 100's of different cultures, races, ethnicity's and religious believes. I've lost family in World Wars due to the Germans and the Japanese. If any prick puts a sushi parlor near me I'm going to rage so hard and kill everyone for the insult and injury they have caused me and my family! And then I'm going to protest Octoberfest because those germans murdered relatives of mine during WW2! Oh and on that note. Native America just called. They want you to move your shopping mall OFF THE GRAVES OF THEIR RAPED MURDERED AND MASSACRED ANCESTORS!

So you agree, that everyone who thinks that replacing the trade centers with a muslim place of worship is of poor taste is simple minded? Seems to me you may be on the ignorant side. I had no family killed in the 9/11 attacks? And you got your information from where may I ask? What was that? You have absolutely no ******* clue whatsoever if I had family involved in the attacks? Is that just an ignorant guess? Finally, a post that actually makes person "laugh out loud".

it is STAGGERING as to how full of horse dung you are. They have plans to put a COMMUNITY CENTER TWWWOOOO (2) BLOCKS AWAY. You're sitting back and blaming an entire religion about a terrorist attack on a building which housed a multi-national community and you can't see you're ignorant.
Atheos-Arkhaios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Atheos-Arkhaios
[QUOTE="Grodus5"]Of all the great Ayn Rand quotes, why that one? It's one of her thoughts that I never agreed with.Genetic_Code
I completely agree with it. Of course, I can only speak from personal experience. I can imagine a man settling for an unattractive woman because he himself views himself as unattractive. I believe a man's choice of a partner is a reflection of himself.

Haha, we will have to start a whole new thread for this! But let me say, what if you are attracted to your intellectual equal, rather than your physical equal? Or vice versa?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 comp_atkins

So you agree, that everyone who thinks that replacing the trade centers with a muslim place of worship is of poor taste is simple minded? Seems to me you may be on the ignorant side. I had no family killed in the 9/11 attacks? And you got your information from where may I ask? What was that? You have absolutely no ******* clue whatsoever if I had family involved in the attacks? Is that just an ignorant guess? Finally, a post that actually makes person "laugh out loud".

racer8dan

huh? replacing with a muslim place of worship? as said before. the plan is not to plop a mosque down smack on top of where wtc 2 used to stand with a big middle finger on it to the city of new york... jeez.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Atheos-Arkhaios

How is it offensive?

Also deja vu thread.