What can the U.S> do to stop the over-dependence on outsourcing?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Canon-Gatorade
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts
We outsource way to much, and while not entirely the issue with the U.S. economy, fixing it would help A LOT. Now what are we doing wrong and how should we fix it? Should we pass some bills that cause isolation in areas of trade? Should we have international companies have companies in the states to manage designs and manufacturing?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

Have to become more competitive. Lower corporate tax rates and fewer regulations. Less government as a percentage of GDP.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Canon-Gatorade

Have to become more competitive. Lower corporate tax rates and fewer regulations. Less government as a percentage of GDP.

KC_Hokie
What benefit is there to lowering corporate tax rates? Why have we not done this already?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

Canon-Gatorade

What benefit is there to lowering corporate tax rates? Why have we not done this already?

Allows corporations keep a higher percentage of their profits which they can reinvest which included hiring. We haven't touched our corporate tax rates since the mid-80s.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Canon-Gatorade

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

KC_Hokie

Allows corporations keep a higher percentage of their profits which they can reinvest which included hiring. We haven't touched our corporate tax rates since the mid-80s.

But the mid-80's America did not have a debt problem. So what is the difference now and then when talking about changing corporate taxes? An excuse i have heard many people use.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

....remove minimum wages

pass anti-union legislation

let the iron law of wages take its course

let people starve 

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] What benefit is there to lowering corporate tax rates? Why have we not done this already?Canon-Gatorade

But the mid-80's America did not have a debt problem. So what is the difference now and then when talking about changing corporate taxes? An excuse i have heard many people use.

Not the corporations fault government spending is out of control. Government has to cut spending.

And lowering corporate tax rates means more profit for corporations which means more investing which means more spending, jobs, etc.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
A weaker dollar would do the trick
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KC_Hokie
A weaker dollar would do the trick -Sun_Tzu-
Would work if every other country in the world isn't doing the same exact thing.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Canon-Gatorade

....remove minimum wages

let people starve 

BossPerson
Why do you suggest removing the minimum wage? One excuse I always hear is that it is placed there to ensure job income at a livable level. also, anti-union?
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Canon-Gatorade

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Allows corporations keep a higher percentage of their profits which they can reinvest which included hiring. We haven't touched our corporate tax rates since the mid-80s.

KC_Hokie

Not the corporations fault government spending is out of control. Government has to cut spending.

And lowering corporate tax rates means more profit for corporations which means more investing which means more spending, jobs, etc.

So why are people refusing to follow cutting the corporate tax? I hear this from many republicans.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] But the mid-80's America did not have a debt problem. So what is the difference now and then when talking about changing corporate taxes? An excuse i have heard many people use.Canon-Gatorade

So why are people refusing to follow cutting the corporate tax? I hear this from many republicans.

Congress and the president can't even agree on reductions on future increases of spending. They're pretty much worthless right now economically.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]A weaker dollar would do the trick KC_Hokie
Would work if every other country in the world isn't doing the same exact thing.

Hokie stop trying to act like you know anything about economics
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]A weaker dollar would do the trick -Sun_Tzu-

I do. Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

KC_Hokie

bush did that. 

I vaguely recall an explosion of debt.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

....remove minimum wages

let people starve 

Canon-Gatorade

Why do you suggest removing the minimum wage? One excuse I always hear is that it is placed there to ensure job income at a livable level. also, anti-union?

Unions are bad, and minimum wages are bad.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

MakeMeaSammitch

bush did that. 

Nope. Never touched corporate taxes. And he increases spending and the size of government which is part of our problem.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Would work if every other country in the world isn't doing the same exact thing.KC_Hokie

I do.

DPef3gr.png

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Canon-Gatorade
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]A weaker dollar would do the trick -Sun_Tzu-

Why do you think a weaker dollar would work? I heard a few libertaries state that.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Would work if every other country in the world isn't doing the same exact thing.Canon-Gatorade

Why do you think a weaker dollar would work? I heard a few libertaries state that.

It only works in increasing exports if other countries aren't trying the same thing.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Canon-Gatorade

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]

....remove minimum wages

let people starve 

GOGOGOGURT

How so? some politicians seem to disagree, so give me a bigger picture as to why.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

KC_Hokie

bush did that. 

Nope. Never touched corporate taxes. And he increases spending and the size of government which is part of our problem.

It deacreased the income tax which increased debt.

We would see the same thing with corperate debt.

Maybe if CEOs weren't payed so well, we could afford to create more jobs here at home.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Canon-Gatorade

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]bush did that. 

MakeMeaSammitch

Maybe if CEOs weren't payed so well, we could afford to create more jobs here at home.

So you're saying cutting corporate taxes would create more debt?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]bush did that. 

MakeMeaSammitch

When individual taxes were lowered the economy did increase and so did tax revunues. However, the increase in government couldn't compensate and debts piled up.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

....remove minimum wages

let people starve 

Canon-Gatorade

sarcasm
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Would work if every other country in the world isn't doing the same exact thing.KC_Hokie

I do. Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it.

Off the top of my head:

you've referred to the stock market as the private economy

you do not know what the difference between GDP and GNP is

you don't know what a liquidity trap

you've been unable to explain how the US budget deficit is harming the economy

and now here you are talking about international trade and I'm suppose to think that on this subject you actually have any idea about what it is you are talking about 

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

all you have to do is convince large corporations to pay people livable wages instead of outsourcing for half (or less) the cost. i mean, you won't convince them because it ends up in the pocketbooks at the top, but i guess you can try.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Hokie stop trying to act like you know anything about economics -Sun_Tzu-

Off the top of my head:

and now here you are talking about international trade and I'm suppose to think that on this subject you actually have any idea about what it is you are talking about 

OK Mr. Economics....name a reserve currency that hasn't been devalued over the last 6 months vs. the dollar.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Canon-Gatorade

all you have to do is convince large corporations to pay people livable wages instead of outsourcing for half (or less) the cost. i mean, you won't convince them because it ends up in the pocketbooks at the top, but i guess you can try.

z4twenny
Isn't that why minimum wage was made? To prevent abusive cuts in employee income?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Would work if every other country in the world isn't doing the same exact thing.Canon-Gatorade

The weaker the dollar the cheaper it is to manufacture in the US, the stronger the dollar the more expensive it is to manufacture in the US.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Hokie stop trying to act like you know anything about economics

The weaker the dollar the cheaper it is to manufacture in the US, the stronger the dollar the more expensive it is to manufacture in the US.

Yea...only when the rest of the world isn't doing the same thing. It's called a currency war.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

There are some companies (GE for example) proving that they can make their products more efficiently by having all the parts be made under one roof. Thus insourcing to the US  has become a key strategy in padding the bottom line. If we can get more companies realize this also we can probably entice them to come our shores improving upon our country's infrastructure. I know that spending, even when it means investing in the future is unpopular, but if it increases private sector jobs I think that it could gain real support.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GOGOGOGURT

Well if you WANT to stop outsourcing, then reduce taxes, neutralize unions, and cut down on regulations and licensing.

But if you think outsourcing is totally bad, then you know nothing of economics.  Of course it sounds bad with the villianous corporations giving jobs to foriegners, and the media tells you it's bad, so it is, right?

Nope, if a company can get something made ina another place for cheaper, that's good.  It creates savings for the business that allows it to hire even MORE people domestically.  The wealth and efficiancy created by outsourcing enables companies to expand in the US.  New jobs replace the outsourced ones.  It's a natural part of free-trade.  It even HELPS them because they leave undesireable factory work to work more pleasent and higher paying jobs.  Unemployment would be worse without globalization (outsourcing) America still creates millions of new jobs.  The only reason why Joblessness stayed high was because the population growth was even greater.

Don't let the politicians scare you.  It's called trade, and it's not all bad.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KC_Hokie

There are some companies (GE for example) proving that they can make their products more efficiently by having all the parts be made under one roof. Thus insourcing to the US  has become a key strategy in padding the bottom line. If we can get more companies realize this also we can probably entice them to come our shores improving upon our country's infrastructure. I know that spending, even when it means investing in the future is unpopular, but if it increases private sector jobs I think that it could gain real support.

Serraph105
Yea and they didn't pay federal taxes for two years out of the last four. Which is exactly my point.
Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Canon-Gatorade

Serraph105
I mentioned that before, why do people insist on outsourcing instead of having certain things insource to the U.S.?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I do. Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it. KC_Hokie

Off the top of my head:

OK Mr. Economics....name a reserve currency that hasn't been devalued over the last 6 months vs. the dollar.

The fact that you think this inane question has any relevance to this discussion is just further evidence of your ignorance.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Off the top of my head:

-Sun_Tzu-

The fact that you think this inane question has any relevance to this discussion is just further evidence of your ignorance.

You said lowering our currency would help spark the economy. My response is we already did that with quantitative easing and now every other reserve currency is being devalued by their respective countries.

So what you're suggesting won't work. We've already exhausted that option.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Emulate China.

Deregulate companies; regulate workers.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Canon-Gatorade

Well if you WANT to stop outsourcing, then reduce taxes, neutralize unions, and cut down on regulations and licensing.

But if you think outsourcing is totally bad, then you know nothing of economics.  Of course it sounds bad with the villianous corporations giving jobs to foriegners, and the media tells you it's bad, so it is, right?

Nope, if a company can get something made ina another place for cheaper, that's good.  It creates savings for the business that allows it to hire even MORE people domestically.  The wealth and efficiancy created by outsourcing enables companies to expand in the US.  New jobs replace the outsourced ones.  It's a natural part of free-trade.  It even HELPS them because they leave undesireable factory work to work more pleasent and higher paying jobs.  Unemployment would be worse without globalization (outsourcing) America still creates millions of new jobs.  The only reason why Joblessness stayed high was because the population growth was even greater.

GOGOGOGURT
Neutralize unions is a popular democratic and semi-libertarian saying, but what will neutralizing unions do to benefit us?
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts
[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

Canon-Gatorade
Neutralize unions is a popular democratic and semi-libertarian saying, but what will neutralizing unions do to benefit us?

We can only hope it will let us work more hours for less money.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Kc stop
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KC_Hokie
Kc stop dave123321
Stop what? Devaluing your currency in order to boost the economy via exports only works if competing currencies remain steady or rise. If they all drop as well it doesn't work. Every reserve currency has dropped in value over the last six months and countries are continuing to devalue their currencies.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"] Why do you suggest removing the minimum wage? One excuse I always hear is that it is placed there to ensure job income at a livable level. also, anti-union?Canon-Gatorade

How so? some politicians seem to disagree, so give me a bigger picture as to why.

Unions cause workers to be lazy, because they can't get fired.  It makes it harder for new people to get the job, and nothing ever gets done because of all the regulations and requirements.  Also, it stops the creative juices from flowing, and make everyone slightly unhappier.

Minimum wages are not needed to keep pay high.  In fact, it would be higher without it.  Economist Don Bourdreaux puts it better than I can.  I quote: "Even a casual glance at reality reveals that worker compensation is determined by the supply of, and demand for, workers, and that pay does not fall to any leagally allowed minimum.  I it did, then physicians, accountants, morticians- even supermodels, rock stars, and doctors- would be paid minimum wage."

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts

........ And if a country didn't devalue their currency their exports would be less............So, by devaluing their currency they increased their exports.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Hokie stop trying to act like you know anything about economics

........ And if a country didn't devalue their currency their exports would be less............So, by devaluing their currency they increased their exports.

No...if everyone devalues at the same time nothing changes. It's called a currency war.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Nothing.

Why? Capitalism.

You have a software business.  You want to make money.

Why pay an American $150k a year plus benefits when you can hire an equally (if not more) qualified Indian for example to do it for $20k a year and no benefits?

They could completely remove corporate tax, that wouldn't change the cheapness of overseas labor.  What do you suggest we do? Introduce market wide US protectionism... 1000% tariffs on all imports... Tell the rest of the world we aren't going to buy foreign, but they should buy from us at an extreme premium... What are you stupid?

Not to mention less risk/liability overseas... I know someone who works for an oil company overseas... They hire on-site guys to do some of the skilled work on rigs and ships for pennies on the dollar what it would cost to send a European/American out there... Some guy recently had his arm crushed in an accident... If that happened to an American, he would get severence in the hundreds of thousands and probably sue the company for millions... The on-site local (from Southeast Asia) that it happened to was given $10,000 and sent on his way after having his arm amputated.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I do. Every country is devaluing their currency right now except Switzerland trying to increase exports. It's not working since everyone is doing it. KC_Hokie

No...if everyone devalues at the same time nothing changes. It's called a currency war.

I really have to explain this? Say manipulating currency increases exports by 5%.......... Every other country manipulates currency as well and will reduce your exports by 5%...... Now if you do not manipulate your currency your exports will fall by 5%........ Conclusion....by manipulating your currency you increase your exports.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GOGOGOGURT

Nothing.

Why? Capitalism.

Why pay an American $150k a year plus benefits when you can hire an equally (if not more) qualified Indian for example to do it for $20k a year and no benefits?

They could completely remove corporate tax, that wouldn't change the cheapness of overseas labor.  What do you suggest we do? Introduce market wide US protectionism... 1000% tariffs on all imports... Tell the rest of the world we aren't going to buy foreign, but they should buy from us at an extreme premium... What are you stupid?

Not to mention less risk/liability overseas... I know someone who works for an oil company overseas... They hire on-site guys to do some of the skilled work on rigs and ships for pennies on the dollar what it would cost to send a European/American out there... Some guy recently had his arm crushed in an accident... If that happened to an American, he would get severence in the hundreds of thousands and probably sue the company for millions... The on-site local (from Southeast Asia) that it happened to was given $10,000 and sent on his way after having his arm amputated.

Squeets

Yep.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Canon-Gatorade

Nothing.

Why? Capitalism.

Squeets
So instead of saying we won't buy foreign, why can't we put limitations on the amount of outsouricng so that it balances out? Also, in your first example with the software business, would it not be easier to have more money for the company so that you can pay your employers more equally throughout instead of having most of the moeny put on checks for the upper administration than do either of the two things you mentioned?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I hope they don't stop.