We need to pay more taxes.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts

Why are people so opposed to taxes? It doesn't make sense to me.

Taxes are fair because they are based on income percentage. The poor don't pay as high a percentage as the rich.

This is great because the money the rich pay won't hurt them very much but it will help the poor A LOT! Think of it as a service to your country.

My point is, there should be universal health care because even though it will raise taxes, it will help a lot of people.

Also, paying taxes is good for the economy :) Instead of the government printing more money to pay for things and lowering the value of our dollar, by paying taxes we keep the dollar strong!

Peace.

R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
It's because most of your taxes goes to stupid crap. If it went to only good stuff we'd be living in happy land.
Avatar image for TrueConservativ
TrueConservativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TrueConservativ
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts

Taxes are fair because they are based on income percentage. The poor don't pay as high a percentage as the rich.

This is great because the money the rich pay won't hurt them very much but it will help the poor A LOT! Think of it as a service to your country.

My point is, there should be universal health care because even though it will raise taxes, it will help a lot of people.

Also, paying taxes is good for the economy :) Instead of the government printing more money to pay for things and lowering the value of our dollar, by paying taxes we keep the dollar strong!

Peace.

Ninja_Dog

not everyone wants to use the services that come from the taxes.

if everything is privitized, theyres competition that lowers prices.

so if I ever need that service, I only need to pay for it when I need it.

Less taxation and a free market help the economy most.

Universal health care will make thigns worse. I dont expect you to reply until you look up John Stossel Michael Moore on youtube. Id find you the links but ive done it a few times on here already and frankly its getting old.

ive never heard anyone say taxation helps the dollar.

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 B0Knows
Member since 2007 • 1094 Posts

you dont understand economics.... Government automatically creates innefficiencies. We dont need to pay taxes for universal health care because it WILL DESTROY THE AMERICAN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

How many hours/ week do doctors work now? 70ish for many.

How many will they work? 40. They will have lower reqs to get into med school. They will have worse doctors.

They will have waiting lists because doctors will do a set number of procedures/year.

you my friend are wrong.

Also if you are over 65 you will not be able to get a transplant, ever again. Thats fair, pay taxes for 45 years and get fisted by the government kuz lazy Undeducated burger flippers didnt want to try to goto college( which is very affordable, and anyone who tries can go on student loans/ grants)

ive got more reasons my fingers are gettin tired.

Edit: Im glad the poster is about 14 years old.

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts

Wrong. If you make over $250,000 annually, you get a tax break. I paid $400 in taxes last year and I only made $3,800 AFTER taxes. Besides, most of our tax money goes to ridiculous things, like the war.

I wouldn't mind paying higher taxes IF, and it is a big IF, it meant universal health care. That is not likely to happen, though.

The value of the dollar is at it's lowest right now.

Peace.

Ninja_Dog
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#6 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts
I'm going to stab someone in the neck with a steak knife if property taxes go up again...
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
I just don't like the idea of people buying bombs with my money.
B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 B0Knows

I'm going to stab someone in the neck with a steak knife if property taxes go up again...THE_DRUGGIE

property taxes are the taxes that pay for schools., thats a local issue, this thread is for a national issue.

Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts
Maybe if your governemnt stopped spending trillions of dollars on wars you wouldn't need to raise taxes. Although you'll still have to raise taxes to 400% for about 2 decades to clear out that massive debt.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#10 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]I'm going to stab someone in the neck with a steak knife if property taxes go up again...B0Knows

property taxes are the taxes that pay for schools., thats a local issue, this thread is for a national issue.

It still doesn't make my statement any less true.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ninja_Dog
[QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

Peace.

TrueConservativ

Universal health care will make thigns worse. I dont expect you to reply until you look up John Stossel Michael Moore on youtube. Id find you the links but ive done it a few times on here already and frankly its getting old.

here are my replies

i know not everyone wants to use the services. There could still be private physicians.

lower prices are not coming with the system we have. and its not all about prices. some companies wont even insure people.

thats not the way taxes work.

yes, but not when the government prints money like gangbusters to pay for a failed war.

and @Boknows: that is called a Slippery Slope argument. It has no place in logical discussion.

Paragon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Paragon_
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts

you dont understand economics.... Government automatically creates innefficiencies. We dont need to pay taxes for universal health care because it WILL DESTROY THE AMERICAN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

How many hours/ week do doctors work now? 70ish for many.

How many will they work? 40. They will have lower reqs to get into med school. They will have worse doctors.

They will have waiting lists because doctors will do a set number of procedures/year.

you my friend are wrong.

Also if you are over 65 you will not be able to get a transplant, ever again. Thats fair, pay taxes for 45 years and get fisted by the government kuz lazy Undeducated burger flippers didnt want to try to goto college( which is very affordable, and anyone who tries can go on student loans/ grants)

ive got more reasons my fingers are gettin tired.

Edit: Im glad the poster is about 14 years old.

B0Knows

Not to mention, people who want private medical care that is high quality will still be taxed for the universal system, and private doctors will be taxed into hell also. So all it's really going to do is make good healthcare more expensive.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Your oversimplifying it, unfortunately.
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yarcofin

I paid $400 in taxes last year and I only made $3,800 AFTER taxes..

.How is that even possible? Here in Canada you get about an $8,500 - $9,000 basic "personal living" credit no matter what. So basically if you make under 10k you have no tax automatically.

And at least here in Canada, the people who make more money tend to have higher tax rates, it's tiered.

Avatar image for nuclear_cookout
nuclear_cookout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nuclear_cookout
Member since 2005 • 8617 Posts
When taxes are low, people feel more obligated to start companies, invest, etc. More corporate competition means lower prices, and that means a better economy.

And I'll say it again, I don't want to be forced to pay for some drunkard to get a free liver transplant.
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Yarcofin

And I'll say it again, I don't want to be forced to pay for some drunkard to get a free liver transplant.nuclear_cookout

Amen to that. I don't even want to pay for single mothers to sit at home on welfare. I think we should take Japan's approach.. last that I read, they were cutting people off entirely and letting people starve to death.

morewasabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 morewasabi
Member since 2006 • 1641 Posts

Why are people so opposed to taxes? It doesn't make sense to me.Ninja_Dog

People don't like having their money taken away to fund foolish, arbitrary programs. I see no reason why I should be forced to give charity or fund whatever the useless idiotic government program of the day is.

My point is, there should be universal health care because even though it will raise taxes, it will help a lot of people.Ninja_Dog

Universal healthcare will certainly benefit business (with the exception of some medical fields) by removing the need to pay for employee healthcare benefits. The government has a long history of easily abused social programs (public schooling, welfare, social security, etc) which are troubled by corruption, inefficiency, and incompetence. There is no reason why universal healthcare would be any different.

Also, paying taxes is good for the economy :) Instead of the government printing more money to pay for things and lowering the value of our dollar, by paying taxes we keep the dollar strong!Ninja_Dog

High taxes harm the economy.

High taxes = reduced consumer spending = reduced business revenue = collapse of small businesses +layoffs from large busineses= decline of competition + unemployment

The government is not wildly printing money to cover its debts. The dollar weakens for other reasons; primarily a loss of confidence it its value/stability.

TrueConservativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TrueConservativ
[QUOTE="TrueConservativ"][QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

Peace.

Ninja_Dog

here are my replies

i know not everyone wants to use the services. There could still be private physicians.

lower prices are not coming with the system we have. and its not all about prices. some companies wont even insure people.

thats not the way taxes work.

yes, but not when the government prints money like gangbusters to pay for a failed war.

and @Boknows: that is called a Slippery Slope argument. It has no place in logical discussion.

not everyone uses them, so we shouldnt have to pay for it. Im not against optional taxation. lets for example you wanted to pay a tax to help build roads. I think you should have the right to do that. But if im some guy who for some reason hates roads, I shouldnt have to pay for it. Kind of a silly example, but I think you get my point. Just like some people dont want to pay for a war... Im sure the government wouldnt goto war so much if they knew people could opt out of certain taxes.

A lot of the reason our prices are going up is due to inflation, which the culprit is the federal reserve. something that relies on taxation big time. there are other reasons but I dont want to name all of them because im kind of a lazy bum right now

the federl reserve is the one printing false money, more taxation isnt going to help. we need to abolish the federal reserve and free up the economy and give people back there gold.

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 B0Knows

When taxes are low, people feel more obligated to start companies, invest, etc. More corporate competition means lower prices, and that means a better economy.

And I'll say it again, I don't want to be forced to pay for some drunkard to get a free liver transplant.nuclear_cookout

OR to be denied a liver transplant when im 65 or die on a waiting list. ALL of those happen in other countries.... and noone is denied emergency care here in the United States; its against the law, if you go into the ER and need care, you get it.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
Aside from all the other holes picked into your argument, how is a graduated income tax "fair"? Chargeing people more money because they make more than some other, random person is the opposite of "fair."
Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Truth_Seekr
Member since 2007 • 4214 Posts

Taxes are an abomination to the every man & woman working in the US. The Federal Income Tax especially is unconstitutional because it is a direct tax on our labor & wages. The only income that should be collected, are those of a corporations, as INCOME itself is defined by the courts as "...profits & gains aquired by and thru activities by coporate entities." The Federal Income Tax to us single individuals is VOLUNTARY, not MANDATORY. Dont believe me? Look it up. I'd post some links, but that would be futile as they'd right away be considered biased or right winged etc. just for not agreeing with most of the public's opinion, especially here on Gamespot.

Have any of you ever seen a law that says we are REQUIRED to pay taxes, let alone the federal income tax? Or have most of you just been "going with the flow"?

Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Truth_Seekr

Aside from all the other holes picked into your argument, how is a graduated income tax "fair"? Chargeing people more money because they make more than some other, random person is the opposite of "fair."Frattracide

Shouldn't it be apportioned, as the Constitution demands?

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 B0Knows
and ninja what part was slipp slope and has no place here? they are all valid points. I dont want to pay for some deadbeat loser who is 28 and flippping burgers kuz they A) are a felon. B) CHOSE to dropout C) CHOSE to not goto college because they knew someone else would pay for them. D) They just are lazy. E) Have 5 kids with 4 Significant others. F) Grades they worked for in school...
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Frattracide

[QUOTE="Frattracide"]Aside from all the other holes picked into your argument, how is a graduated income tax "fair"? Chargeing people more money because they make more than some other, random person is the opposite of "fair."Truth_Seekr

Shouldn't it be apportioned, as the Constitution demands?

Could you elaborate? I don't understand what you are saying.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninja_Dog

Everyone here saying "I don't want to pay for X person because they brought it on themselves" is only listing the extremes. Besides, a lot of these people get care anyway by using the emergency rooms and the hospital has to pay for them, seriously hurting the hospital.

Most people who would be helped by universal health care are hard working americans who can not afford insurance or is denied insurance period.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
Why should I give the dollar I slaved for to someone else because some politician says they need it more? The less taxes the better. The government isn't here to give everyone a free ride. Make your own living, and don't cry about it if you are poor.
B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 B0Knows

ok i dont want to pay for sick kids either. The people who are hard working have health insurance.

The real solution is to offer a TAX CREDIT for people who already have health insurance. That is a better solution. It keeps it private (which is efficient) and it prevents waiting lists

TrueConservativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TrueConservativ

Everyone here saying "I don't want to pay for X person because they brought it on themselves" is only listing the extremes. Besides, a lot of these people get care anyway by using the emergency rooms and the hospital has to pay for them, seriously hurting the hospital.

Most people who would be helped by universal health care are hard working americans who can not afford insurance or is denied insurance period.

Ninja_Dog

a lot of the reasons health care is becoming more expensive is because people take less care of themselves. Yes, a lot of people who be helped temporarily by universal health care. But I would be hurt by it, and so would all americans in the long run.

Im not trying to be condescending but democrats like yourself dont really understand how money works. I know it sounds like a great idea, but once you really research it you realize its just not worth it. I used to be a democrat liberal guy too. Society these days tries for it I guess.

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 B0Knows

Why should I give the dollar I slaved for to someone else because some politician says they need it more? The less taxes the better. The government isn't here to give everyone a free ride. Make your own living, and don't cry about it if you are poor.LukeAF24

yea no kidding. people make the choice to be poor. no matter what you might think.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts

Ninja_Dog

Why should I pay for someone elses health problems? Maybe I have my own important financial issues to deal with?

Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Truth_Seekr

Also, paying taxes is good for the economy :) Instead of the government printing more money to pay for things and lowering the value of our dollar, by paying taxes we keep the dollar strong!Ninja_Dog

Actually, what is making our dollar weaker is the current monetary system we live under. Our currency is no longer backed by Gold & Silver. It is backed by absolutely NOTHING. It is worthless paper. The only that gives it value is how much is in circulation. However, the more they print this fiat money, the more value the dollar loses as there is to much of it floating around until eventually collapses. Every dollar now is worth, what?, ¢.04!? Not to mention that on top of every dollar is 25%-35% interest rate attatched to it, so imagine how much we have to pay back if Congress borrows 1million from the Fed Res.....1.35 million. The only way to pay it back, it to take out another loan and plunge us more into debt. Isn't it great!!!

Every banker and thereforth is waiting for the dollar to crash before the Amero gets introduced, which should eliminate borders andthe necessity for more than one currency in North America.

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 B0Knows
it goes to say, under 20 and youre not a dem then you have no heart, over 20 and you are a dem and you have no brain.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Frattracide

Ninja_Dog

Consider what you are advocating for a moment. What you want is the government to take money away from the people who earned it and do things with it that it deems "necessary." So, in essence, you are advocating the use of force and rationalizing theft in the name of "the greater good."

I find the idea appalling. I prefer a more rational train of thought like: The Philosophy of Liberty.

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 B0Knows

[QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"] Also, paying taxes is good for the economy :) Instead of the government printing more money to pay for things and lowering the value of our dollar, by paying taxes we keep the dollar strong!Truth_Seekr

Actually, what is making our dollar weaker is the current monetary system we live under. Our currency is no longer backed by Gold & Silver. It is backed by absolutely NOTHING. It is worthless paper. The only that gives it value is how much is in circulation. However, the more they print this fiat money, the more value the dollar loses as there is to much of it floating around until eventually collapses. Every dollar now is worth, what?, ¢.04!? Not to mention that on top of every dollar is 25%-35% interest rate attatched to it, so imagine how much we have to pay back if Congress borrows 1million from the Fed Res.....1.35 million. The only way to pay it back, it to take out another loan and plunge us more into debt. Isn't it great!!!

Every banker and thereforth is waiting for the dollar to crash before the Amero gets introduced, which should eliminate borders andthe necessity for more than one currency in North America.

ron paul is the only one who wants to do something about that

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 B0Knows
[QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

Frattracide

Consider what you are advocating for a moment. What you want is the government to take money away from the people who earned it and do things with it that it deems "necessary." So, in essence, you are advocating the use of force and rationalizing theft in the name of "the greater good."

I find the idea appalling. I prefer a more rational train of thought like: The Philosophy of Liberty.

golden logic!!! FTW!

awesome link too1

L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
Canada has an ok health plan set up in their country... but i dont like the idea of being on a wait list :(
TrueConservativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TrueConservativ
[QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

Frattracide

man i just fell in love with you.

Paragon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Paragon_

Ninja_Dog

Maybe people who make less money and are uninsured should be taxed more. That way, hospitals can be reimbursed when they have to give medical treatment to somebody who can't afford to pay for it. People with a lot of money can pay for their medical care, so I don't see a reason to penalize them for it.

TrueConservativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TrueConservativ
[QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

Paragon_

Maybepeople who make less money and are uninsuredshould be taxed more. That way, hospitals can be reimbursed when they have to give medical treatment to somebody who can't afford to pay for it. People with a lot of money can pay for their medical care, so I don't see a reason to penalize them for it.

we should just not tax and allow competition

B0Knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 B0Knows
[QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

Paragon_

Maybepeople who make less money and are uninsuredshould be taxed more. That way, hospitals can be reimbursed when they have to give medical treatment to somebody who can't afford to pay for it. People with a lot of money can pay for their medical care, so I don't see a reason to penalize them for it.

Thats why i support a tax credit for HAVING insurance.
MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
Ok, it wasn't $400 exactly. It was $398.82. But still, I don't even know how how this happened, that is about 10% of my annual income after all taxes have been taken out of my weekly check. I'm a struggling college student just trying to pass my classes and that $400 put me into debt to which I am still paying off. I fkin hate bush.
Paragon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Paragon_
[QUOTE="Paragon_"][QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

TrueConservativ

We need some taxes, but not for things like welfare, social security, universal healthcare, income, property, and the like. What we should do is destroy the IRS and just have a flat percentage and a sales tax. Then we should put restrictions in place on the government, instead of the government putting them on us, to insure that our money is not wasted or used inefficiently.

I like your line of thinking though.

TrueConservativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TrueConservativ
[QUOTE="TrueConservativ"][QUOTE="Paragon_"][QUOTE="Ninja_Dog"]

Paragon_

We need some taxes, but not for things like welfare, social security, universal healthcare, income, property, and the like. What we should do is destroy the IRS and just have a flat percentage and a sales tax. Then we should put restrictions in place on the government, instead of the government putting them on us, to insure that our money is not wasted or used inefficiently.

well I didnt mean cut ALL taxes. I support a minimal approach

Paragon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Paragon_

Ok, it wasn't $400 exactly. It was $398.82. But still, I don't even know how how this happened, that is about 10% of my annual income after all taxes have been taken out of my weekly check. I'm a struggling college student just trying to pass my classes and that $400 put me into debt to which I am still paying off. I fkin hate bush. MotherSuperior

Wow. You are aware that Bush cut taxes right? You should be blaming the democrats in Congress who wouldn't let him cut taxes even more. You should blame the democrats in Congress when they elect not to renew those tax cuts, and you should blame them yet again when they decide to actually raise your taxes even higher in the name of government spending for the common good. Then you can blame the next democratic president when that 400 bucks you paid goes up to 600 because you're getting "free" healthcare. Seriously...don't blame Bush for your tax problems. That's one of the few things he has done right.

Avatar image for BEAN_LARD_MULCH
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
I like the taxation system in canada.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
Give more of my money that I worked forfor congressional pay raises? No thanks.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Frattracide

Paragon_

I read a book recently that had a story about a bill presented to some state congress that said something to the effect of "I believe that It is more important to take money and spend it on this project/bill/appropriation than allow the people who made the money to keep it." If the bill passed, every one who signed a new bill/law or voted for it would have to sign the above statement. Needless to say, it did not pass.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Frattracide

Give more of my money that I worked forfor congressional pay raises? No thanks.fidosim

Well common, they work really, really hard. :roll:

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ninja_Dog

How is competition currently working? When people die because they can't get healthcare, how is this working? When HMOs get paid more for withholding treatment, how is this working?

I realize that people like to keep the money they make. I do, too. I also understand your cynical view on congressional spending.

However, when competition involves human lives, that is where I draw the line. The problem is complicated but it cant be solved by the current system. God forbid our bubble economy suffers a little because people cant afford to buy their boats, and cars, and tvs and other crap.

jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
Once you make $4,500 a month and see 30% of it go away to a lot of pointless crap let me know.