Was Episode 1 that bad

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Was Episode 1 that bad (37 votes)

yes 62%
no 38%

Has the hatred of this movie expanded over the yeats to justified or unrealistic proportions?

Personally, I thought The Hobbit movies (2/3) were much worse,

• 
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

No, episode 1 of the I.T. crowd was great. You vague jerk.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

No of course not, most of the dislike generally stems from the Jar Jar Binks character I'd imagine.

In my opinion the movie itself has the best Lightsaber fight sequence out of the star Wars Movies with one of the most memorable antagonists, Darth Maul. And the story itself is pretty decent.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

No I don't think so. Personally I really enjoyed the prequels.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@Treflis: I agree about the fight. Redlettermedia complained that it was too perfectly coreographed. But, assuming this was the Jedi in their prime and not some kid recently introduced, they would be superior swordsman. Unlike 2/3 as well, it's much more grounded.

The pod race scene is also excellent IMO.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It was mediocre.

Not completely horrible but not that good either.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

Plinkett makes a great case to say why not. I never liked it, went and saw it opening day with my friends and we all thought it sucked. Ewok Adventures are more worth watching IMO.

Loading Video...

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Maul had the high ground.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

It was mediocre, making it quite disappointing for many.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Episode 1 felt like a kiddie movie. I didn't mind. It was a movie about Vader being a kid. Same with the other two prequels.

The Hobbit book read like a children's fairy tale. But, the movie wanted to be more serious like the LotR.

As entertainment, I found both sets of prequels okay. I wish movie makers would quit doing the prequel thing, though. It looks weird when some characters look older in their younger days, like Legolas, for example.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

So, this is about star wars? Way to be clear TC.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p:

I originally thought this was about Half-life and it was just put in the wrong forum

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup

Now this is thread making.

PantsWearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PantsWearer
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

Yes it certainly was. The truth hurts. It wasn't good enough to be good or bad enough to have comedic value.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Remove Jar Jar Binks and it'll still be a terrible movie. The politics in the movie makes no sense for a number of reasons (sign the treaty to make the invasion legal, what?), the plot was convoluted, and the characters were boring and uninteresting. Oh look, fight sequences look cool! Yes. they are cool but lack emotion and power. Plinkett did an amazing review on it as well as II and III. Check it out and understand why the prequels suck.

A little side note, while the politics in ep1 was unbearing and confusing, The Force Awaken's politics was actually interesting, although not as explained which has caused confusion among those who have watched it.

Seriously though, the prequels suck. I said it before and I'll say it again: Remake the prequels.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

It wasnt good. Not as bad as 2 but worse than 3, a little

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It was unbelievable. The prequels are way ahead of the times.

Phantom Menace though? Amazing. Everything about it. People at the top of their game. Great lighting. Great visuals, great art design, great music, great characters, great dialog, great locations, great sets, great miniatures, great costume design......the fckng film does not have one bad shot. I laughed out loud when someone showed me the RLM video. I'm thinking...."this dbag can't follow. ...or maybe he thinks its great and is just ragging on it because its the cool thing to do."

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Fairmonkey: The tonal difference between 1 and 2 is jarring. Ignoring Jar Jar Bink's it's like he's trying to do a dry Kurosawa movie with long extended still shots of dialogue, and then in II he changes it to The Crusade, Gladiator and space Lord Of The Rings, it's all over the shit.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Bad movie, perhaps better than the second movie but that doesn't say much.

As far as The Hobbit movies, it should have been 2 movies, not 3. I didn't bother seeing any of those movies at the theatre just on principle.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup

@drunk_pi: Want a Sidous prequel. Given Disney will milk this shit for all it's worth, would be no surprise, their doing one on Han Solo (boring)...

Speaking of which, I hope Ian McDiarmid makes an appearance in Rogue One.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I think it was probably the best of the prequels... and then when I think hard about the movie, it was still pretty horrible.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@AFBrat77: I'd also like to point out that that was one of the problems with the Star Wars prequels too. There was actually some interesting stuff in the prequels (most of it in Episode III), and I think that an actually good movie or two could have been made out of the prequels (provided that they also got someone to go over the script and redo some of the cringe-inducing dialogue).

But unfortunately, the shit had to get stretched over three movies, and there just wasn't enough stuff there to sustain that. I don't remember a whole lot about Episodes I and II (I just didn't find them that memorable), but I do remember watching those movies and just having a general feeling that large parts of the movies weren't actually going anywhere. That it was just sort of trying to waste as much time as possible in order to get to the part that anyone cares about. And yeah...its entirely George Lucas' fault because he's the one who decided that that story arc had to be a trilogy when there just wasn't enough material to sustain it.

But I seriously think that's one of the biggest problems with the prequel trilogy. I actually didn't mind Episode III that much, and I think that the story arc could have made for one or two actually GREAT movies. But there just wasn't enough stuff there to fill three movies, so a lot of it felt like a waste of time and nothing worthwhile was actually happening.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Jar Jar is love, Jar Jar is life.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

The only thing I can say about The Phantom Menace is that Darth Maul was the best thing that made this movie worth seeing but I do gotta agree with everyone here, Jar Jar Binks was the main problem in the movie. I'm not sure why everyone is bashing Episode One, I have said this so many times, Episode 1 & 3 were really good in my opinion, Episode 2 flat-out-sucks, big time. Episode 1 had:

• Pod Racing
  • Darth Maul as the first non-human Sith to appeared in Star Wars movies and was a mystery Sith
  • Space Battles was good
  • Getting to know Young Anakin as a kid and why/how he becoming a Jedi

Just remember that this film came out in 1999, GL wanted to do something NEW at that time, I for one will say that GL did something NEW, while Disney just made Episode 7 A New Hope 2.0 which was borrowing from Episode 4 and GL didn't need to scrap from the original Star Wars movies.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Not as bad as episode 2

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Treflis

@uninspiredcup said:

@Treflis: I agree about the fight. Redlettermedia complained that it was too perfectly coreographed. But, assuming this was the Jedi in their prime and not some kid recently introduced, they would be superior swordsman. Unlike 2/3 as well, it's much more grounded.

The pod race scene is also excellent IMO.

Pretty much. And I'm gonna likely make myself highly unpopular with this next statement but the story in the prequels were decent, not fantastic but decent. And it were atleast more creative then the story in the recent one, Force Awakens.

For the sake that they displayed a origin story of Darth Vader along with how Palpatine swayed the Republic using a war to gain control and nearly destroyed the Jedi's. Force Awakens however is more or less a sort of " We tried with a Death Star twice and failed...So let's try again but make it bigger."

Granted it's only one movie of what I assume will be another trilogy so story may pick itself up.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Drunk_PI

@uninspiredcup said:

@drunk_pi: Want a Sidous prequel. Given Disney will milk this shit for all it's worth, would be no surprise, their doing one on Han Solo (boring)...

I have mixed feelings on the Star Wars spinoffs. I am excited for Rogue One (idk why), but the Han Solo, Boba Fett spinoffs make no sense.

Star Wars has a massive universe in which so much can be done. And speaking of Ian McDiarmid, he was actually a pretty good actor in I, II, and III. It was obvious who he was later on but still played a great villain in an otherwise terrible prequel.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 themajormayor

@Treflis said:

Most of the dislike generally stems from the Jar Jar Binks character I'd imagine.

No

@Treflis said:

The movie itself has the best Lightsaber fight sequence out of the star Wars Movies.

No

@Treflis said:

One of the most memorable antagonists, Darth Maul.

No

@Treflis said:

And the story itself is pretty decent.

No

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19545 Posts

@Treflis said:

In my opinion the movie itself has the best Lightsaber fight sequence out of the star Wars Movies with one of the most memorable antagonists, Darth Maul. And the story itself is pretty decent.

That Darth Maul fight scene was one of the best in the series (and certainly way better than any fight scene in The Force Awakens). But the rest of the movie was boring.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

So what Episode 1 are we talking about here? All of them? Star Wars? The Hobbit?

Star Wars was shit. The Hobbit was good.

At least Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith had a cohesive story to them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox

@Jag85 said:
@Treflis said:

That Darth Maul fight scene was one of the best in the series (and certainly way better than any fight scene in The Force Awakens). But the rest of the movie was boring.

That highly-choreographed wankery was not lightsaber dueling. There was no passion or tension. It was just three guys dancing. Luke against Vader at the end of Jedi was a duel. There was incredible passion and incredible tension. You were at the edge of your seat the whole time.

Darth Maul v. Obi-wan and Qui-gon was dull despite the flashy nature of it all.

I have a feeling you saw the prequels before the originals, no? Those kinds of people tend to prefer those duels to the more simpler, tenser ones of the originals. I loved the Rey/Ren duel in The Force Awakens. It hearkened back to a time when the duel was about so much more than dancing.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox
@uninspiredcup said:

I want a Plagueis prequel. Seeing him grow up and mature under Tenebrous then move onto his role as master.

That, or a full on Darth Bane epic.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

it was clearly made for children , Lucas wanted to make something comical that children would enjoy , and thats not bad tho , but he forgot that many people who watched and loved the original trilogy were above 25 years old in 1999 and of course they were going to be disappointed .

I think he should've gone with a bit darker and more serious theme for the prequel trilogy with better acting , better and darker design , better effects , something that could appeal to both Children and old fans .

The second big problem with Episode 1 ( and the whole prequel trilogy ) was way too much CGI and not even good CGI ! it totally cartoonish . The use of amazing and difficult practical effects was one of the main reasons that the original trilogy is so damn good .

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

I don't hate Episodes I-III...I hate Hayden Christensen. That prick killed those movies. As a result, I can stomach Episode I (because of his absence), but not II and III.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jag85

@foxhound_fox said:
@Jag85 said:
@Treflis said:

That highly-choreographed wankery was not lightsaber dueling. There was no passion or tension. It was just three guys dancing. Luke against Vader at the end of Jedi was a duel. There was incredible passion and incredible tension. You were at the edge of your seat the whole time.

Darth Maul v. Obi-wan and Qui-gon was dull despite the flashy nature of it all.

I have a feeling you saw the prequels before the originals, no? Those kinds of people tend to prefer those duels to the more simpler, tenser ones of the originals. I loved the Rey/Ren duel in The Force Awakens. It hearkened back to a time when the duel was about so much more than dancing.

Your guess is incorrect. I saw the originals first as a kid in the early '90s, and then watched the prequels in the '00s.

Even if there wasn't any real urgency or drama to it (because the story sucked), Dark Maul vs. Obi-wan & Qui-gon was one of the most well choreographed fight scenes in the series. The 2v1 and team-work added a whole new dimension to it.

I didn't like the Rey vs. Ren fight scene. The fight choreography was okay but not very interesting, and it could've been better without the psychic stuff... And I was hoping it would be a 2v1 fight, with Rey & Finn teaming-up against Ren.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

Eh, problem wasn't the fight itself but the movie around it.

It has all the ingredients, Darth Maul clearly superior, a dramatic pause mid fight with a learner unable to help his mentor, Obi pumped up to kick as (and yes he is pumped up and going for it regardless of what RLM says) and the point where he looks totally screwed.

Imo the resolution sort of sucks, he just beats him with no "use the force" inner voice shit.

The fight is a picture frame holding nothing.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox

@Jag85 said:

Your guess is incorrect. I saw the originals first as a kid in the early '90s, and then watched the prequels in the '00s.

Even if there wasn't any real urgency or drama to it (because the story sucked), Dark Maul vs. Obi-wan & Qui-gon was one of the most well choreographed fight scenes in the series. The 2v1 and team-work added a whole new dimension to it.

I didn't like the Rey vs. Ren fight scene. The fight choreography was okay but not very interesting, and it could've been better without the psychic stuff... And I was hoping it would be a 2v1 fight, with Rey & Finn teaming-up against Ren.

See, that's my problem with the "choreographed" fights. They SEEM choreographed. The fights between Obi-wan and Vader in E-IV, Luke and Vader in E-V and E-VI, and Rey/Finn and Ren in E-VII felt UN-choreographed. They felt REAL as if those people were FIGHTING one another. Unpredictably throwing out moves and the other person having to counter.

That's what dueling is. Have you ever watched fencing? Their moves are incredibly fluid but there is still a high level of unpredictability to it, and the winner is the one who can out-maneuver the other. Some bouts last a matter of seconds. There is supposed to be an air of incredible danger and tension with lightsabers... it's not supposed to look like a couple of guys smacking sticks together.

The wankery in the prequels, especially Revenge of the Sith, is just over-the-top for the sake of it... and in my opinion, has lead lightsaber dueling into an athletic territory it was never intended to go originally.

TrevorZyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TrevorZyla
Member since 2015 • 76 Posts

It's pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as Episode 2 is.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Treflis

@themajormayor said:
@Treflis said:

Most of the dislike generally stems from the Jar Jar Binks character I'd imagine.

No

@Treflis said:

The movie itself has the best Lightsaber fight sequence out of the star Wars Movies.

No

@Treflis said:

One of the most memorable antagonists, Darth Maul.

No

@Treflis said:

And the story itself is pretty decent.

No

Good to know.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Drunk_PI

@foxhound_fox said:
@Jag85 said:

See, that's my problem with the "choreographed" fights. They SEEM choreographed. The fights between Obi-wan and Vader in E-IV, Luke and Vader in E-V and E-VI, and Rey/Finn and Ren in E-VII felt UN-choreographed. They felt REAL as if those people were FIGHTING one another. Unpredictably throwing out moves and the other person having to counter.

That's what dueling is. Have you ever watched fencing? Their moves are incredibly fluid but there is still a high level of unpredictability to it, and the winner is the one who can out-maneuver the other. Some bouts last a matter of seconds. There is supposed to be an air of incredible danger and tension with lightsabers... it's not supposed to look like a couple of guys smacking sticks together.

The wankery in the prequels, especially Revenge of the Sith, is just over-the-top for the sake of it... and in my opinion, has lead lightsaber dueling into an athletic territory it was never intended to go originally.

^This. The choreographed fight sequences felt weak and lacked emotion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

@Jag85:

Here is the Obi-wan v. Vader fight from E-IV in Kendo:

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup

They should have have used a 4 minute montage to "no easy way out" when Qui Gon died.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I haven't seen the movie since 2003 and i just remember Darth Maul, Jar Jar and the Battle Droid saying "roger roger".

I liked the droids...that's my revew of this movie, so bby.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Best way to know if it's truly as bad as people say is to compare it to episode 7. Both are the first of a new trilogy in the star wars series, and neither have had the time to be lifted up as the second coming of great cinema like the first.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

no.. man children like to hate on it because of Jar Jar but that character was made for kids. It was a fun movie and i still enjoy it. The pod racing scene was cool, It gave us Darth Maul, one of the best lightsaber fight scenes of all time, and Duel of the Fates is probably the best song from John Williams in a Star Wars movie. It wasnt perfect by no means, but it gets too much hate.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@themajormayor: "We know you're an idiot already. No need to shove it down our throats."

So his opinion holds no merit?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jag85

@foxhound_fox:

The problem with The Force Awakens is that it tries too hard to stay faithful to the original trilogy. It doesn't try to do anything different, but is just retreading A New Hope all over again. Much of the story and the action scenes are lifted straight from the original trilogy. The only thing new the Kylo Ren fight did is the psychic wank, which ruined the fight. And the fact that Rey beat Ren without any training at all, was complete nonsense, which they try to explain away with the psychic wank. Luke got whooped and lost a hand the first time he faced Vadar, yet Rey beat Ren the first time she picked up a light-saber without any training at all.

Episode 1 at least attempted something different. The story is garbage, but at least it's an original story. The Darth Maul fight scene may not be to your liking, but at least it was original and felt fresh, with things like fight choreography, crazy acrobatics and 2v1 battles making it look different and interesting to watch. And the fact that it took two Jedis to take on Maul made him look very tough, whereas Kylo Ren looks weak and pathetic losing to someone with no training at all.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 themajormayor

@PSP107: of course not.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points