"US, Canada should merge into one country" - Article.

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

No two nations in the world are as integrated, economically and socially, as the United States and Canada. We share geography, values and a gigantic border.

Regardless of this close friendship, our two countries are on a slow-motion collision course — with each other and with the rest of the world.

While both countries wrestle with internal political challenges, meanwhile, the economies of the larger world change and flourish. The International Monetary Fund forecasts that by 2018, China’s economy will be bigger than that of the United States and Asian economies will be bigger than the US, Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Italy and Russia combined.

Rather than continuing on this road to mutual decline, the United States and Canada should chart a new course — by joining forces.

The United States and Canada could merge into one country, or follow a European Union model that eliminates the border without merging the two governments.

At the very least, the nations should discuss joint ventures to develop Canada’s staggering, and untapped, resources in the north, an area three times bigger than Alaska.

If combined, the US and Canada would have an economy larger than the European Union. The two would be an economic superpower, bigger than South America in size, with more energy, metals and minerals, water, arable land and technology than any other nation, all protected by America’s military.

Citizens of the merged countries would have more options in terms of jobs, business opportunities, climates, studies and lifestyles.

Source.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I would not say the United States and Canada are integrated socially. Beyond the internet, I do not know of anyone from Canada in my local area. I live in the United States.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

The west should just form one super-mega country so it's BDP number won't be smaller than China's, so forum warriors have ammo.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I don't think Canada would want to combine with the U.S., but a EU-like agreement, without all the needless bullshit that goes with the EU, is an interesting idea.

However, nothing ever seems to get done in the U.S. government so I don't see this ever happening.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Tis an interesting idea. As a US citizen I definitely wouldn't be opposed to this.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Pretty sure Canada desires to be a independent nation rather then merge with the US.

Might reduce the US debt though, which I'm certain is the reason the US would want to merge with Canada. That and Oil.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

I don't see how that would benefit either country.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts

Bad idea. Yes, they may share a similar cultural heritage and history but they're different. Economically, they're already in union - NAFTA. Politically, it'd be a disaster - don't make the same mistake as Europe did with the EU. Plus, unless the US wants to deal with Quebec nationalists and their demands for a separate state, cultural and language rights etc then that's reason alone for them to remain as they are. Oh, and unless you wish to have my Queen as your Head of State again or some joint authority with the US President, then you're very welcome. :)

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

lmao, Canada and their crackhead mayors.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

So, basically the entire argument is that america can keep saying "We're numbah 1 whpooo **** yeah!!!111 'murica!".

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By branketra

@michaelP4 said:

Bad idea. Yes, they may share a similar cultural heritage and history but they're different. Economically, they're already in union - NAFTA. Politically, it'd be a disaster - don't make the same mistake as Europe did with the EU. Plus, unless the US wants to deal with Quebec nationalists and their demands for a separate state, cultural and language rights etc then that's reason alone for them to remain as they are. Oh, and unless you wish to have my Queen as your Head of State again or some joint authority with the US President, then you're very welcome. :)

I can imagine that occurring. People including me would question what the point of the American Revolution was if all we do is eventually rejoin that monarchy's dominion. No offense, but I am unready to kneel before another person whether they be queen or anyone else.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@michaelP4 said:

I can imagine that occurring. People including me would question what the point of the American Revolution was if all we do is eventually rejoin that monarchy's dominion. No offense, but I am unready to kneel before another person whether they be queen or anyone else.

What about a CEO?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By branketra

@loco145 said:

@BranKetra said:

@michaelP4 said:

What about a CEO?

Do you mean a chief executive officer? You do not kneel before those.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

That would be a darn POWERHOUSR!!!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

No thanks.

I don't want all the problems of USA to be part of mine now.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Hmm.

The US is a terrible place compared to Canada, and has more people.
So we Canadians would be outvoted in political matters (being more liberal and all),
And we'd have to call ourselves American, while taking on responsibility for non-nonsensical wars and the insane debt caused by it.

Lets not merge, perhaps and NAFTA just needs an update?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Uhhhh no thanks

We'll take NY, the west coast, and the New England states, though. The rest can disappear for all I care.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

olympic hockey powerhouse.

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Braun_Roid_Rage

@LoG-Sacrament said:

olympic hockey powerhouse.

Would be the only benefit.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Give it another 100 years and it will happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Give it another 100 years and it will happen.

@Aljosa23 said:

Uhhhh no thanks

We'll take NY, the west coast, and the New England states, though. The rest can disappear for all I care.

You mean we'll take you. I'm sure the entire population of New York can fvck up Canadia any day of the week.

NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts

I don't ever see this happening, but if it ever does, I hope Canada take the reins. As an American, I love my country but the government is so screwed up. Capitol Hill is nothing but monkey politicians flinging poop at each other while the rest of the country burns.

Please save us, Canada.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

As a Canadian I would drown myself in Maple Syrup before living through that. Everything about the two countries is the same except the attitude, and I don't want any part of the American way of life

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Americans wouldn't have a problem with this, they may even want it badly enough. Canadians on the other hand...

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

All of North and South America should merge into one super country and then proceed to conquer the world.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

All of North and South America should merge into one super country and then proceed to conquer the world.

And then form one super world and conquer the galaxy!

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

ITT, one dumb idea after the other

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

The US, Canada and Mexico should merge into one country. At the very least, statehood for Mexico would solve a lot of problems.

tape990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tape990
Member since 2003 • 606 Posts

As a Canadian no thank you. From what i know about how the US government is run and how they treat their people, you can stay were you are.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

It actually wouldn't change that much except making it impossible for the G.O.P. to control anything at the national level in the short to medium term. Most of the economic benefits espoused in the article basically exist already as a result of NAFTA + other FTAs. Militarily, NATO gives them a very similar benefit without requiring a political union. And even if you stuck the U.S. and Canada together, China would still outgrow their union in under 10 years because Canada's economy isn't really very big compared to either America or China. I guess it would look cool if you put it on a map though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

sure, let's get Mexico too

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I don't think Canada wants their country run into the ground by Obama the way he is running America into the ground. They are better off the way they are.

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts

As long as I get to keep my free healthcare.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Canada doesn't have much to offer us

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Yea chinese dominance isnt happening.

Last i heard (prolly couple years ago) the cost advantage of chinese labor vs ameican is only something like 15% and thats just labor cost, in overall product cost its probably something like 2%. And its expected to evaporate in the next 5-10 years... at which point manufacturing plants will start shutting down in china. And their economy will begin to shrink.

Petroleum prices are increasing, the chinese economy is only surviving off its currency manipulation.

The problem with poiseing yourself as cheap labor is, eventually at some point that labor will stop being cheaper and nobody will purchase it. So the bubble pops.

EDIT: however on the merge front, welcome canada... the infinitely better healthcare and education as well sensical voters.. i welcome. Although, sucks for canada.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

@Braun_Roid_Rage: and your politicians are corrupted AF bailing out corporations and emailing penis pics to strange women

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Braun_Roid_Rage

@kemar7856 said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage: and your politicians are corrupted AF bailing out corporations and emailing penis pics to strange women

murica. We're not pussies though.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Okay.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

@Braun_Roid_Rage: cry some more about obama care LOL

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Braun_Roid_Rage

@kemar7856: lol will do bud.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

How would this benefit either nation? There wouldn't be more jobs available like the article says. There would be really no point. Who cares if China becomes a larger economic power than the USA? One country cannot be the lead of that forever. Merging with Canada would just bring a bunch of unnecessary problems to both nations. It's pointless.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

With this agreement. The U.S. can finally have maple syrup guns and polar bear attack squads. I welcome this idea.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@Wasdie said:

How would this benefit either nation? There wouldn't be more jobs available like the article says. There would be really no point. Who cares if China becomes a larger economic power than the USA? One country cannot be the lead of that forever. Merging with Canada would just bring a bunch of unnecessary problems to both nations. It's pointless.

Well it would cause a major shift in politics, at least in the USA. Voters might want more efficient healthcare and education, since they are used to it.

for canada, alot of dubious business owners looking for tax loopholes and lax regulations would be able to thrive.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

Stopped reading when it said same values. The values are nothing alike, just look at the Canadian parties. Canadians would never get over having a minority say in voting.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

That'll be interesting.

Mexico provides the drugs, America arrest the drug dealers/addicts, and Canada provides new land for enlarging the prison industrial complex?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Crazy thinking like this is exactly why we should develop our own nuclear weapons.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts
@BeardMaster said:

for canada, alot of dubious business owners looking for tax loopholes and lax regulations would be able to thrive.

tru.dat

I have no idea how the U.S. corporate taxes work. The U.S. has one of the highest nominal corporate tax rates @ 35% but the effective tax rate is below 12%..WTF?!

TOPIC: I wouldn't mind it one bit. I've gone through the border 4 times this year, and ordered on Amazon about a dozen times, because our domestic retail is in shambles.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Canadians are socialists, wouldn't fly here