Trump believes burning the US flag should warrant loss of citizenship or year in jail.

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Link to his Twitter.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Trump doesn't believe in the constitutional rights of Americans at all. Those who voted for this clown should be ashamed.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

i have to image at this point he is just fucking with people.

there is no other reasonable explanation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

His Twitter timeline is a gem.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@perfect_blue: this is why I should get Twitter. This guy is a real life troll

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts
Loading Video...

Take it away Penn and Teller.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

This guy is just so ridiculous. lol

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Trump doesn't believe in the constitutional rights of Americans at all. Those who voted for this clown should be ashamed.

You may not like Trump, but do please get your facts straight.

Trump is not the first and certainly not the last who has been for making it illegal to burn the American flag in the us.

In fact the flag desecration Amendment has been before the congress often since 95 after the supreme court overturned the flag law in 89, but since it requires 2/3 to actually pass in the senate, it has been a few votes short each time it´s been proposed.

So blame Trump all you want, but he is just speaking up to what the congress already wants but has been unable to get passed because there probably are a few nut jobs like Jill Stein in the senate.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I said it before and I say it again.

Trump is the Right Wing Social Justice Warrior, and he is easily more obnoxious than the likes of Anita Sarkeesian.

This just goes to show that once again, this is the case.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Trump is not the first and certainly not the last who has been for making it illegal to burn the American flag in the us.

In fact the flag desecration Amendment has been before the congress often since 95 after the supreme court overturned the flag law in 89, but since it requires 2/3 to actually pass in the senate, it has been a few votes short each time it´s been proposed.

So blame Trump all you want, but he is just speaking up to what the congress already wants but has been unable to get passed because there probably are a few nut jobs like Jill Stein in the senate.

He also doesn't want a free press.....which means the constitutional right to free speech. And there is his targeting of individuals due to religion. Yes I WILL blame Trump all I can....he's a cancer.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

i have to imagine at this point he is just fucking with people.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

i have to image at this point he is just fucking with people.

I used to believe that as well, but shit he's president and still acting the same way. At some point you just have to accept this is who he is, and frankly it's not much better, really worse, than your average racist uncle on facebook or twitter. He doesn't really understand what he's talking about, but is very clear on how he feels about it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

He also doesn't want a free press.....which means the constitutional right to free speech. And there is his targeting of individuals due to religion. Yes I WILL blame Trump all I can....he's a cancer.

What free press? As Amanpour said , CNN´s and the media's job is not to be neutral but to report the stories as they see fit.

But it's funny reading this thread since Trump is not really suggesting anything new, the flag burning have been in the works since 68.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#14 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

To quote someone from earlier, someone PLEASE take the old man's Twitter account away from him! This is why I don't teach my old folks how to use social media.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk:

And yet people are still burning the flag so what someone said in 68 is totally immaterial...they didn't ban it. Trump doesn't want to hear anything negative about himself and wants to stifle the free press. And whether you like it or not they are free to post their views. That is the definition of free press. Why anyone would think taking Constitutional Rights away is a good thing is beyond me. They should NEVER be stripped....and I don't care how much you love the donald.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drunk_PI

@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Jill Stein doesn't hold political office.

The Supreme Court ruled against making flag burning illegal because it violated the Constitution and the 1st Amendment.

You have members - including veterans - voting against it, not because they're "nutjobs" but because of the consequences, violation of free speech and expression, and lack of ambiguity on flag burning.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jacanuk:

And yet people are still burning the flag so what someone said in 68 is totally immaterial...they didn't ban it. Trump doesn't want to hear anything negative about himself and wants to stifle the free press. And whether you like it or not they are free to post their views. That is the definition of free press. Why anyone would think taking Constitutional Rights away is a good thing is beyond me. They should NEVER be stripped....and I don't care how much you love the donald.

Yes, people today could burn the flag if they wanted since the supreme court made it legal in 89 under the first amendment. But that does not change one thing about the fact, that an amendment has been in the works ever since the supreme court ruling.

So again you may not like Trump but people in congress on both sides has voted and passed the amendment and it´s only do to a few erasmus montanus in the senate that it was not passed there since it require 2/3 super majority, but again senators on both sides republicans and democrats voted for making it illegal to burn the flag.

Which happened the last time just before Obama entered the white house, meaning that Trump is again only speaking what a majority wants, so please stop acting like he suggested something so insane that no-one could agree with it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic

@drunk_pi said:

The Supreme Court ruled against making flag burning illegal because it violated the Constitution and the 1st Amendment.

You have members - including veterans - voting against it, not because they're "nutjobs" but because of the consequences, violation of free speech and expression, and lack of ambiguity on flag burning.

I'm a vet. I hate flag burning.....hell that football player that doesn't stand for the anthem annoys me because I see them symbolic of the ideals of freedom and the fight it entails and still does.....BUT I will stand for their right to do so because I don't believe in eroding freedom. Those defending Trumps desire to erode such freedoms don't show me that they are Americans first. Just tools of politicians.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

He can gripe all he wants, it's protected speech. Even an executive order would be struck down quickly.

Plus this is something he has never mentioned before so for all I know Trump is just doing his standard sun tzu art of war thing and putting this out here because it distracts our corrupt media outlets an sends them on a wild goose chase.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jacanuk:

Yes, people today could burn the flag if they wanted since the supreme court made it legal in 89 under the first amendment. But that does not change one thing about the fact, that an amendment has been in the works ever since the supreme court ruling.

So again you may not like Trump but people in congress on both sides has voted and passed the amendment and it´s only do to a few erasmus montanus in the senate that it was not passed there since it require 2/3 super majority, but again senators on both sides republicans and democrats voted for making it illegal to burn the flag.

Which happened the last time just before Obama entered the white house, meaning that Trump is again only speaking what a majority wants, so please stop acting like he suggested something so insane that no-one could agree with it.

What majority? When was the vote? Hell the majority didn't even want Trump so I don't think the majority wants this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I didn't say she did. I said nutjobs like her, meaning insane people.

And sure you have people voting against it, but last time it did not pass , it was still a majority who voted for it, in fact it was only 9 votes from passing by super majority.

Also there are no consequences by making it illegal to burn the flag, since no decent American would ever dream of desecrating their flag like that, so it would only be a few radicals.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Drunk_PI

@Jacanuk said:

And sure you have people voting against it, but last time it did not pass , it was still a majority who voted for it, in fact it was only 9 votes from passing by super majority.

Also there are no consequences by making it illegal to burn the flag, since no decent American would ever dream of desecrating their flag like that, so it would only be a few radicals.

Nutjobs like these? LINK

Also, look up the word, "ambiguity." Instead of burning the flag because of protest, what if I burned the flag out of the celebration of the freedoms for this country? What if I burned a flag to keep warm in the winter? What if I accidentally burned the flag? What if I burned the flag out of protest against a tyrannical government?

Should flipping the flag upside down be illegal as well while in protest as well?

I don't support flag burning but I don't support making the government enforce laws to ban flag burning because of the unintended consequences.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nutjobs like these? LINK

Also, look up the word, "ambiguity." Instead of burning the flag because of protest, what if I burned the flag out of the celebration of the freedoms for this country? What if I burned a flag to keep warm in the winter? What if I accidentally burned the flag? What if I burned the flag out of protest against a tyrannical government?

Should flipping the flag upside down be illegal as well while in protest as well?

I don't support flag burning but I don't support making the government enforce laws to ban flag burning because of the unintended consequences.

Hmm, as to the link , well clearly there are some ordinary senators who for some strange reason is against it.

But out of 100 a bit more then 25 is opposed, so clearly most of them think that it's the right thing, which i do agree with as a veteran and patriot

And any act that be deemed as desecration should be included particular burning it, tho not as far as some countries in the west where they have laws that prohibit desecration ""by words or by deeds"" Words is and should be free.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

What next, jailing people for writing opinion pieces lambasting the US? What a joke. People who want to ban flag burning are out of their mind. You're essentially making criticism of the US illegal. But hey, supporting a man who wants to sue everyone for libel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Why does not being the first to suggest something make it any less bad?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@drunk_pi said:

I'm a vet. I hate flag burning.....hell that football player that doesn't stand for the anthem annoys me because I see them symbolic of the ideals of freedom and the fight it entails and still does.....BUT I will stand for their right to do so because I don't believe in eroding freedom. Those defending Trumps desire to erode such freedoms don't show me that they are Americans first. Just tools of politicians.

But no-one is defending Trump? Trump is just catching onto an existing case and taking a stand.

The flag desecration amendment has been in the works long before Trump came onto the political stage.

In fact you know who did suggest it a certain Hillary Clinton.

So you still disagree with the idea?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:
@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Why does Trump make it any worse?

Clinton was the one who brought it forward in 2005 and have been a strong supporter of that amendment.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@drunk_pi said:

But no-one is defending Trump? Trump is just catching onto an existing case and taking a stand.

The flag desecration amendment has been in the works long before Trump came onto the political stage.

Did I stutter? I made my opinion quite clear. Trump is the president elect. Therefore let's keep this about the topic at hand. You continue to support Trump and his Un-American Ideas. That's a problem. We should NOT erode our freedoms...all it takes is one step. See Germany before WW2 and how little things just kept snowballing to more and more for an example as to why it's important NOT to do that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

Why is it that Trump and his supporters only deflect and never answer a question?

@Jacanuk said:

Clinton was the one who brought it forward in 2005 and have been a strong supporter of that amendment.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serraph105

@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:

@nintendoboy16:

@LJS9502_basic said:

There is a political calculation some may take in voting for something that they know won't pass. If you know something won't pass, but your constituents want it to pass regardless of its constitutionality you can vote yes, and go back to tell them you tried. On the other hand, if you believe something that infringes upon free speech will pass, you may vote no because you know bettter.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@drunk_pi said:

Did I stutter? I made my opinion quite clear. Trump is the president elect. Therefore let's keep this about the topic at hand. You continue to support Trump and his Un-American Ideas. That's a problem. We should NOT erode our freedoms...all it takes is one step. See Germany before WW2 and how little things just kept snowballing to more and more for an example as to why it's important NOT to do that.

Eh? i never said i support Trump. I do however like Clinton and a lot of democrats and republicans support the amendment that would protect the flag.

I am speaking up because for some reason , people on this forum tend to get blind when they hear the name Trump, and suddenly ideas which was for most perfectly fine , become bad because it´s now Trump that is for it.

And if you want to have a debate, stop trying to pull it down on the lowest level. Remember Goodwin.

But many countries in the west have laws that protect the flag, France etc.... So having respect for the flag is not snowballing anywhere.

It's no different than Native-americans demanding that Washington redskins change their name or any of numerous other liberal censorship ideas.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Glad to see some people support freedom of speech around these parts.

To stand up for freedom of speech means to stand up against speech that is controversial and speech that you dont like. Be it a Flag Burning, a KKK rally, or hell, Trump opening his mouth to spout more nonsense.

Edit: And While I am at it. Trump parroting the same dangerous ideas that other congressmen said does not make his case any better. It is just as inexcusable as it is for Trump as it was for Hillary back then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:

Because he's the president elect...

Do I really need to explain why the future president wanting to do bad things is bad?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:

Why is it that Trump and his supporters only deflect and never answer a question?

@Jacanuk said:

That is funny coming from you.

Why is it that you mention Trump and liberal snowflakes like you get´s all riled up and act like noone else ever said the same thing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jacanuk said:

That is funny coming from you.

Why is it that you mention Trump and liberal snowflakes like you get´s all riled up and act like noone else ever said the same thing.

I'm not a liberal. I consider snowflake to be a derogatory term and I haven't insulted you. I don't care what someone said. You don't seem to understand he's in a position to do these things. THAT is the difference.

And you still deflected and didn't answer the question.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:
@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:

And? it needs to be passed by the senate not the president.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:
@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:

So it doesn't matter what the president tries to do as long as you think the senate would reject it? I'd rather have a leader that doesn't hate freedom, but maybe I'm a bit loopy.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Just because he believes it doesn't mean it's going to become policy.

I personally believe that anyone that follows any sort of religion or deity should be thrown off of a cliff, but I would never vote to ban religion.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Hey, at least we can still make Trump flags and burn them, right?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

It's no different than Native-americans demanding that Washington redskins change their name or any of numerous other liberal censorship ideas.

Wait, what? Native Americans demanding that the Redskins change their name IS free speech. Freedom of speech gives people the right to criticize the use of the name "Redskins". Freedom of speech also gives the Redskins the right to tell the native americans to go f*** off.

You don't see how that is different than passing a LAW which makes burning the flag ILLEGAL? You are seriously confused here, pal.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:
@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:

That doesn't mean we should accept any president trying to remove our freedoms. Anyway his party controls the senate and the house. And probably the Supreme Court. There is no checks and balances.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

The soul purpose of burning the U.S flag is just another way of tossing the old warn-out flag when replacing a new U.S flag and tossing it a garbage can is a sign of disrespecting the U.S pride and any american can tell you that but Trump? Of all the people in the world, Trump is supposed to be our new President and he should know this shit by now. When I was in school, we always have the honor of burning our flags when it's time to replace a new one.

I'm gonna assume he's just trolling here cause there's no way in hell you can turn that into a Law.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:
@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:

That doesn't mean we should accept any president trying to remove our freedoms. Anyway his party controls the senate and the house. And probably the Supreme Court. There is no checks and balances.

Of course there is checks and balance.

It has to be passed by 2/3 majority , and yes the republicans have the majority but they do not hold a supermajority, not to mention that even some republicans are against the amendment.

The president has nothing to do with it, he may be the president but the original concept was but forward by democrats and was passed in 2005 after Clinton and a republican took it up.

Also you should be glad , Trump has pretty much secured the demise of that amendment for the next decade or more, no democrat is going to touch that now with a 10-foot pole.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@davillain- said:

The soul purpose of burning the U.S flag is just another way of tossing the old warn-out flag when replacing a new U.S flag and tossing it a garbage can is a sign of disrespecting the U.S pride and any american can tell you that but Trump? Of all the people in the world, Trump is supposed to be our new President and he should know this shit by now. When I was in school, we always have the honor of burning our flags when it's time to replace a new one.

I'm gonna assume he's just trolling here cause there's no way in hell you can turn that into a Law.

That's true. That is how one is supposed to dispose of old flags.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

it's not going to be passed nor should it be passed

it was stupid when others have proposed it in the past, it is stupid now

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@davillain- said:

In a way this is even sadder than him being serious. A President simply "trolling" on Twitter is something straight out of an Onion article.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

@perfect_blue: this is why I should get Twitter. This guy is a real life troll

He's like Keemstar.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

for someone that takes full advantage of the right of freedom of speech and expression, he sure does not want others to have it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

it's not going to be passed nor should it be passed

it was stupid when others have proposed it in the past, it is stupid now

kind of like how Trump wouldn't be president because it was a stupid idea?

I'm done underestimating the capabilities of this country. Anything is possible now because there are no limits to how stupid our lawmakers and voters can be.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Serraph105

@mrbojangles25 said:

for someone that takes full advantage of the right of freedom of speech and expression, he sure does not want others to have it.

It kinda goes along with the concept of conservative correctness. You only have to worry about the feelings of conservatives if you are liberal, but they need not worry about yours. Similarly, they want to have the right to say whatever they wish without retribution from anyone, but don't wish for you to retain your right to free speech.