Top Gear co-host Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Apparently, for punching a colleague.

Source(s):

Huffington Post UK (video included, plus some LOL worthy tweets)

Washington Post

James May (another co-host of Top Gear) had this to say:

I don't know how many here will care, but last I remember, the UK version of Top Gear was (not sure if it still is) available in the US via BBC America, but what are your thoughts? Should they replace Clarkson? Should they reformat the show? Or should they drop it altogether?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

He was an arse - but a funny one. Don't think he could be replaced and it seems like Hammond and May don't want to do it without him. Personally, it was the chemistry between all three that made the show so funny. I hope the BBC either rehires him - or all three go do a similar show on Sky or something.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Hard to say, I like the Top Gear America trio almost as much as Clarkson, Hammond and May so it's not impossible to reformat the show. And even though Clarkson has a huge influence on the brand Top Gear itself I think he could be replaceable if they find a somewhat obese and man in his 50's with the same sense of humor as Clarkson. I think Top Gear could use a fat guy.

But my bottom line is that anything could happen, and I don't think BBC will mess it up. I hope that we can see Clarkson in a new show about cars very soon and that everything works out for Hammond and May as well. Because I think they're awesome, especially together.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

>co-host

There's no Top Gear (as most know it) without Clarkson.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Doesn't Clarkson own a certain percentage of the rights of top gear?

Sure I read that some were.

If that's true we might see top gear on sky

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@kriggy said:

I like the Top Gear America trio

this is the craziest sentence in the universe

and i know psychiatry

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kriggy

@BiancaDK: Pfft.. just let people have their opinions... I know that my opinion is probably a minority among other car enthusiasts but why should that matter? Why are you trying to change who I am?

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BiancaDK

@kriggy said:

@BiancaDK: Pfft.. just let people have their opinions... I know that my opinion is probably a minority among other car enthusiasts but why should that matter? Why are you trying to change who I am?

because i'm your father

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@BiancaDK said:

@kriggy said:

because i'm your father

TrevorZyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TrevorZyla
Member since 2015 • 76 Posts

I assume May and Hammond will leave and all three of them will go do their own motoring show on another network, maybe they'll do an internet thing instead?

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kriggy

@BiancaDK: no.... that's not true... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BiancaDK

as is enjoying US top gear

yet here we are my son

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Sad news. Clarkson(along with Hammond and May) has been around for so long and doing a great job as Top Gear host that the show won't feel the same without him.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kriggy

@BiancaDK: *Jumps off ledge*

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

you guys actually like american top gear?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

The Stig 8)

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BiancaDK

@VaguelyTagged said:

you guys actually like american top gear?

apparently one guy did but he is no more

the universe is amazing like that

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Wait, there's an American Top Gear?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Love the show, love Clarkson's sense of humor, but it sounds like this was deserved...Clarkson often times acts like a cad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts
@Celldrax said:

>co-host

There's no Top Gear (as most know it) without Clarkson.

Don't see why not, the other two Co-Hosts are basically Clarkson clones.

Loading Video...

It's one on a long line of mishaps.

Personally, I think if you are being funded by the general public (the BBC) then yea, you do have a responsibility, it's our money thats giving you a platform to make daft racist and bigoted comments.

If this was someone else, not on a laddish show (for example Justin Bieber) most of you (as in supporting him) would probably be calling him a fucking idiot and wishing ill upon. Only reason BBC didn't get rid of him was because he makes a ton of money.

Good riddance.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Just can the series while it's still fondly remembered lol.

And no reunion shit, May and Hammond both did a lot of other programs beforehand and during Top-Gear, and Clarkson has a lot of other interests.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@kriggy said:

@BiancaDK: no.... that's not true... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Trust your feelings Luke.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Doesn't Clarkson own a certain percentage of the rights of top gear?

Sure I read that some were.

If that's true we might see top gear on sky

He did, but not anymore I think.

@chaplainDMK said:

And no reunion shit, May and Hammond both did a lot of other programs beforehand and during Top-Gear, and Clarkson has a lot of other interests.

Top Gear as a show is way older. Have you seen the first season with Clarkson? Even that one is nothing like show is now. I think the show is pretty much dead in one way. Although I suspect it will continue, but somewhat differently.

@korvus said:

Wait, there's an American Top Gear?

And an Australian one.

Dagxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dagxton
Member since 2015 • 157 Posts

I've no issue with this from either a principal standpoint or even as someone who would watch the show. In terms of the principals of his firing, he punched a producer and has been a pain for the BBC in the last few years as Top Gear turned its three presenters into 12 years trying to hard to be funny with their "edgy" jokes. And in terms of the show itself, I stopped watching it years ago due to the change from the presenters into their "characters" and thought it shouldve been on its last legs anyways

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

RIP Top Gear. It can't exist in it's current form without Clarkson. I know the other guys also will not film without him. BBC just lost their biggest show. I may continue in a different form but it's highly unlikely it will be as successful or good as it is now. Although it makes perfect sense to fire him. You can't assault someone and expect to get away scott-free.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I wonder how much history there was between Clarckson and this producer. Nobody just freaks on a man over a steak dinner without some kind of history.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@horgen said:
@chaplainDMK said:

Top Gear as a show is way older. Have you seen the first season with Clarkson? Even that one is nothing like show is now. I think the show is pretty much dead in one way. Although I suspect it will continue, but somewhat differently.

Indeed it is older, but that's beyond the point. When you say Top Gear, 99% of people will firstly think of the 2002 series, and if you say old Top Gear, most will still think the 1988-2001 version with Clarkson. Some will also think of Tiff and company that later made 5th Gear, but realistically barely anyone will think about anything but the Clarkson led versions.

If anything it would need a total reboot into antoher format. As it is right now its Clarkson Gear, and you cant do that without Clarkson. It's also pointless to go on with the same style as now.

MikeWolfman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MikeWolfman
Member since 2015 • 36 Posts

As much as I like Top Gear and consider Clarkson, Hammond and May to be extremely funny and talented hosts, Clarkson has had umpteen warnings about his behavior in the past and continues to act like the rules don't apply to him.

Personally, I think this moment has been coming for ages. I mean, if it was anyone lesser in the BBC, they'd have been fired years ago.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BiancaDK

@dagxton said:

I've no issue with this from either a principal standpoint or even as someone who would watch the show. In terms of the principals of his firing, he punched a producer and has been a pain for the BBC in the last few years as Top Gear turned its three presenters into 12 years trying to hard to be funny with their "edgy" jokes. And in terms of the show itself, I stopped watching it years ago due to the change from the presenters into their "characters" and thought it shouldve been on its last legs anyways

you're absolutely spot on

the show is filth to be honest, and has been for years, every episode is overproduced to such an extent i feel like i'm watching transformers, instead of a show with a heart or any sense of journalistic integrity

kinda like the simpsons, it killed its heart with its constant desperation to re-invent itself and jump on every new comedy trend

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Really disappointed with the news. I was supposed to be going to Top Gear LIVE, but now I'm not even sure if it'll go ahead, or if I'd want to see it without Clarkson.

As others have said, I really hope Hammond and May will leave the show and join up with Clarkson to create there own car show on another network or online.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@spike6958 said:

Really disappointed with the news. I was supposed to be going to Top Gear LIVE, but now I'm not even sure if it'll go ahead, or if I'd want to see it without Clarkson.

As others have said, I really hope Hammond and May will leave the show and join up with Clarkson to create there own car show on another network or online.

I have serious doubts that this is even a possibility. I'm sure all 3 have pretty strict non-compete clauses in their contracts that would prevent them from doing so,

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@spike6958 said:

I have serious doubts that this is even a possibility. I'm sure all 3 have pretty strict non-compete clauses in their contracts that would prevent them from doing so,

Possibly. We can dream though, right?

willre00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By willre00
Member since 2012 • 158 Posts

He wasn't technically "fired" right? BBC just din not renew his contract. But in all practicality he was "fired."