• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pxr242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pxr242
Member since 2005 • 891 Posts
this is the best band in the world, and 10,000 days is their best cd. their old stuff is good too, but 10,000 days is beyond amazing
-katamarina-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -katamarina-
Member since 2006 • 5048 Posts
They're okay .... I don't listen to them much
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
I'm going to have disagree. They're alright.....not greatest.
clock_of_omens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 clock_of_omens
Member since 2005 • 5595 Posts
they're pretty good
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts
One of the best bands ever without a doubt. However I think Lateralus is their best CD. The Fibonacci-sequence style alone makes Tool one of the best bands to ever exist.
MrPenguinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrPenguinKing
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts

Such a bold claim, considering you probably haven't stuff from some of the great bands of the world, mainly stuff from the US which is where I assume you live.:|

OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OfficialJab
Member since 2005 • 3249 Posts
Best drummer in the world at least. Admitted by alot of people in the industry. Sober ftw.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
there are much better bands out there.
gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 gameroz
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
there are much better bands out there. LoG-Sacrament
true
pxr242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pxr242

Such a bold claim, considering you probably haven't stuff from some of the great bands of the world, mainly stuff from the US which is where I assume you live.:|

MrPenguinKing

Listening to music from 60's 70's 80's 90's, all the time, I can honestly say, Tool is the most unique since pink floyd. I like english bands like muse, don't get me wrong, but tool is the best

MrPenguinKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrPenguinKing
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts
[QUOTE="MrPenguinKing"]

pxr242

Listening to music from 60's 70's 80's 90's, all the time, I can honestly say, Tool is the most unique since pink floyd. I like english bands like muse, don't get me wrong, but tool is the best

Way to read my post man!:roll:

Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hexum-311
Best drummer in the world at least. Admitted by alot of people in the industry. Sober ftw.OfficialJab
The drumming is Sober is so average for Danny Carey. There are such better examples of why he is the best drummer to ever live. Forty Six & 2 comes to mind. But there are many many more.
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexum-311
there are much better bands out there. LoG-Sacrament
Name one that has the talent that Tool has. You might not like their sound but you cannot deny their talent.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. Hexum-311
Name one that has the talent that Tool has. You might not like their sound but you cannot deny their talent.

heres a bunch: lamb of god, trivium, unearth, children of bodom, gojira, all that remains, pantera, damage plan, megadeath, slayer, and metallica.
loserstevep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 loserstevep
Member since 2004 • 105 Posts
IMO, their most recent album isn't that good.  But Lateralus is amazing and Aemina is pretty good.
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hexum-311
[QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. LoG-Sacrament

heres a bunch: lamb of god, trivium, unearth, children of bodom, gojira, all that remains, pantera, damage plan, megadeath, slayer, and metallica.

No...those are bands that you like. Not bands that have talent. Talent is fact, whether or not you like someone is opinion. Tool has talent beyond my favorite band. I still like other bands far more than Tool but that doesn't mean I can't recognize that they are the most talented band around.
formula1racer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 formula1racer
Member since 2007 • 6075 Posts
ok i guess
pxr242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pxr242

[QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. LoG-Sacrament

wow. Slayer and megad are not better than Tool rofl.

jirouxni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 jirouxni
Member since 2006 • 447 Posts
Tool is a good band. I'm going to see their show in council bluffs, Iowa.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. pxr242

go listen to alexi's(from children of bodom) guitar solos. they dominate anything that tool has released. same with trivium(check out their drummer too) and all that remains. nobody can say that anybody on tool is more talented than dimebag from pantera and damage plan. and dave mustane from megadeath is very talented as well. lamb of god has better timing, coordination, and song lyrics than tool. and even the thought that the vocalist from tool is better than randy blythe is just stupid. they arent the best because i like them. i like them because they are best.
pxr242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pxr242
[QUOTE="pxr242"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. LoG-Sacrament

go listen to alexi's(from children of bodom) guitar solos. they dominate anything that tool has released. same with trivium(check out their drummer too) and all that remains. nobody can say that anybody on tool is more talented than dimebag from pantera and damage plan. and dave mustane from megadeath is very talented as well. lamb of god has better timing, coordination, and song lyrics than tool. and even the thought that the vocalist from tool is better than randy blythe is just stupid. they arent the best because i like them. i like them because they are best.

You like harder stuff, so I'm not gonna bash your taste. i know those bands have talent, im just saying that Tool is one of the most unique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 85070537783
Member since 2005 • 1219 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexum-311"]One of the best bands ever without a doubt. However I think Lateralus is their best CD. The Fibonacci-sequence style alone makes Tool one of the best bands to ever exist.

I totaly agree with you, Lateralus is the best CD to me all of the songs are great. And yes Tool is one of the most refreshing bands to come in such a long time, they actually bring something new to the music, to me they are at the same level as Dream Theater.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. pxr242

You like harder stuff, so I'm not gonna bash your taste. i know those bands have talent, im just saying that Tool is one of the most unique

if all you do is listen to the radio, then yes, tool are unique. btw i wasnt talking about my taste(though i do like most of those bands). i was judging their talent as musicians.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 85070537783
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

Another thing the songs that Tool make sound as one single being, you can almost feel them breathe, hear their heart beat, those songs have such energy; I don't quite understand what it is but it's something else, the songs are not built or develop towards some ridiculous guitar wanking, instead the songs move as whole, all of the instruments become one and create something greater of what they are individually. The bands you quoted may have some vibe that appeals to you but at times they sound sparse, as if too much stuff is blendered in to the mix that it feels ackward, in other words you can't compare the bands you quoted with Tool, they are on different leagues.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="pxr242"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. 85070537783

Another thing the songs that Tool make sound as one single being, you can almost feel them breathe, hear their heart beat, those songs have such energy; I don't quite understand what it is but it's something else, the songs are not built or develop towards some ridiculous guitar wanking, instead the songs move as whole, all of the instruments become one and create something greater of what they are individually. The bands you quoted may have some vibe that appeals to you but at times they sound sparse, as if too much stuff is blendered in to the mix that it feels ackward, in other words you can't compare the bands you quoted with Tool, they are on different leagues.

the sound you are referencing is merely a result of the fact that cannot play faster. then theres the fact that they wanted a mainstream audience(in other words, they wanted money). because of this, the singer refuses to fully scream/growl. as a reult, his voice is drowned out by his bandmates. the sum of this bands' parts arent greater than its whole, as you were trying to say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 85070537783
[QUOTE="85070537783"][QUOTE="pxr242"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. LoG-Sacrament

the sound you are referencing is merely a result of the fact that cannot play faster. then theres the fact that they wanted a mainstream audience(in other words, they wanted money). because of this, the singer refuses to fully scream/growl. as a reult, his voice is drowned out by his bandmates. the sum of this bands' parts arent greater than its whole, as you were trying to say.

Listen to Hooker with a penis you'll understand. Who says they cannot play faster, in this band speed is not the goal nor the means, musical expression is the goal.
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
I like Tool's ingenuity...and their videos, they're pretty messed up (in the cool way). But I find most of their music rather boring...its just not my style.
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts
I like Tool..especially for the influence Bill Hicks had on their music.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="85070537783"][QUOTE="pxr242"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. 85070537783

Listen to Hooker with a penis you'll understand. Who says they cannot play faster, in this band speed is not the goal nor the means, musical expression is the goal.

yep, a song where they even say that they have sold out. thanks for proving my point. true musicians wouldnt care how many ppl listen to their music. sure everybody participates in the economy, but not everybody sacrificies musical integrety to do so.
OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OfficialJab
Member since 2005 • 3249 Posts

Way too many quotes here people, cut it down, remove some early ones at least, you don't need to copy the whole thing. Quit ruining threads.

Anyways, I think they are very unique, 'most' is a strong word for any claim, I think. Good call on the Trivium and Bodom though, I agree with that totally. Lamb of God, All that Remains, and some of the others I dunno. I looooove All that Remains btw. Havent heard all the ones you said, so I wont make any blanket statements.

Oh and to the reply to my earlier comment, I wasn't suggesting Sober had the best drumming, I'm just adding in that I love that song.

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 ciredude
Member since 2004 • 2524 Posts

this is the best band in the world, and 10,000 days is their best cd. their old stuff is good too, but 10,000 days is beyond amazingpxr242

Tool is my favorite band ever! Though all their albums are good, I have to say

Lateralus>AEnima>10,000 Days>Undertow>Opiate

sword_chuckz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sword_chuckz
Member since 2006 • 496 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexum-311"]One of the best bands ever without a doubt. However I think Lateralus is their best CD. The Fibonacci-sequence style alone makes Tool one of the best bands to ever exist.85070537783
I totaly agree with you, Lateralus is the best CD to me all of the songs are great. And yes Tool is one of the most refreshing bands to come in such a long time, they actually bring something new to the music, to me they are at the same level as Dream Theater.

Yeah, Tool are great! And I agree that Lateralus is definately their best album. So many good songs...

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ciredude
[QUOTE="85070537783"][QUOTE="pxr242"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

Since when does faster equal better? Stairway to Heaven is one of the best rock songs of all time and it's slow... Plus Tool's music isn't about solos. It's about the incredible layering in each song.

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
you have it the other way around friend. Their old stuff is the best, but 10000 days is good too
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="85070537783"][QUOTE="pxr242"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. ciredude

Since when does faster equal better? Stairway to Heaven is one of the best rock songs of all time and it's slow... Plus Tool's music isn't about solos. It's about the incredible layering in each song.

...because they cant play faster. i wont make a judgemental argument about who is the best band of all time. but if you had read the previous posts, we were having a debate over the amount of talent they have compaired to other bands. that being said, your last post is irrelavent.
Avatar image for supermetroidfan
supermetroidfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 supermetroidfan
Member since 2004 • 19767 Posts

The most unique band I've heard is King Crimson.

And if you like progressive rock/metal, check out Cynic. Their one album Focus is just too great.

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ciredude
[QUOTE="ciredude"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="85070537783"][QUOTE="pxr242"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

...because they cant play faster. i wont make a judgemental argument about who is the best band of all time. but if you had read the previous posts, we were having a debate over the amount of talent they have compaired to other bands. that being said, your last post is irrelavent.

Wait, what? Layered music is much better than a raging guitar playing 5 chords over and over, followed by a screeching solo... Plus you didn't answer my question...

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ciredude

And if you like progressive rock/metal, check out Cynic. Their one album Focus is just too great.

supermetroidfan

Tool was actually influenced by King Crimson a lot.

proctorsurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 proctorsurf
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
Tool ftw..... even though I just started listening to them a couple of weeks ago.... I can't stop playing their music...... I can't explain it, but their music is almost spiritual.... it literally puts me in a trance.... FTW
bminns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bminns
Member since 2004 • 4052 Posts
tool is ok... i like a perfect circle better though
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts

supermetroidfan
Alternatively, Gordian Knot.  Same members, no lyrics, way mellower.  Gordian Knot's self-titled is amazing, beats any Tool album, IMO. 

And to the few who think Trivium/Bodom/LoG are more talented, I'm sorry, but you're wrong.  They would have a hard time actually trying to play Tool songs.  Not a single one of those bands has ever played a song entirely in 11/8 time, because it's too hard for them to pull off.  Tool on the other hand, does it a few times.  There definitely are more talented bands out there, and more unique ones (even than King Crimson), but do not compare Tool to standard metal fare. 
Nisstyre_56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Nisstyre_56
Member since 2006 • 2849 Posts
They're ok, I have Lateralus and Undertow
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hexum-311

then theres the fact that they wanted a mainstream audience(in other words, they wanted money). because of this, the singer refuses to fully scream/growl.

If you say Maynard doesn't scream then you haven't heard Tool. Listen to The Grudge and go to about 7:00 into the video. I've never heard a scream that can compare to that one. Hooker with a Penis is about being CRITICIZED for being a sellout by someone who knows nothing about the true intention. The lyrics are sarcastic. Maynard understands that the corporations have even put a price on air and participating in capitalism is as easy as breathing. If he's a sellout then you, me and everyone else has been a sellout since we were born.

This is about some kid talking to Maynard about Undertow. The kid, declaring himself a true Tool fan (OGT - Original Gangsta Tool) apparently called MJK a sellout for releasing Undertow, a major label record. Maynard turns his words around into the chorus that says, "We all participate in capitalism, so by saying you don't like it, you're being hypocritical." He goes on to say that the kid knows nothing about him except for what Maynard lets him know, so he's in no position to tell him how to live. Just invest in Tool and your soul is safe.

Plus look at the use of the fibonacci sequence in Lateralus. Link

On the contrary, Tool's music is designed to make you think, not say something specific. It must be treated like great literature - much is hidden contextually. I will elude to Geometric-Drumming's previous post, where he explains the time signatures of Schism: "It represents the title...it's arranged in 12/8 time which is SPLIT into 5/8 and 7/8 - which only really FITS as you PUT THE PIECES BACK TOGETHER." Where Geometric-Drumming claims Schism as his favorite Tool song, I have heard some fans say that it was a retched pick for the album's only single - but I think it was brilliant. Not to downplay the interpretations of those who have posted before me (in fact, I agree with much of what %BlueSoulRobot% has to say), but I think that to the casual listener who knows nothing of Tool, it can be a powerful invitation. Think about it - a lot of dingbats with MTV and a radio would walk around with the words "I know the pieces fit" in their heads. I wonder how many of them took the time to put the pieces back together to (re)discover what is trying to be communicated.

Sgt_Homonculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sgt_Homonculus
Member since 2006 • 1764 Posts
I'm still a Tool follower, even if I'm slowly exhausting their catalogue...oh well, easy come, easy go. I'm not sure I like 10, 000 Days as much as previous albums, mind.
ROLFCHANK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ROLFCHANK
Member since 2006 • 1085 Posts
i like aenima a lot. never been huge on this band. i saw them once and their fans are just annoying, but that is to be expected with any arena type band.
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
The lead singer made a band called A Perfect Circle....I like them better because he sounds different.
ss_713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ss_713
Member since 2006 • 838 Posts
Tool is a great band, but 10,000 Days was such a dissapointment and far from their greatest cd. Lateralus and AEnima are so much better than 10,00 days.
Greg-M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Greg-M
Member since 2004 • 158 Posts

I used to listen to a lot of Tool. I've seen a couple of their shows and I will say that they're a very talented and unique group of musicians.

I prefer their older work though. I think I waited so long for Lateralus that when it came out I was disappointed, and 10,000 days sounds like more of the same. Their first three albums are fantastic though. My favorite Tool song is either Sweat or the live version of Push-it from the Salival album. Great stuff.

AsinineZomg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AsinineZomg
Member since 2006 • 709 Posts
Mayhem is so much better.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="ciredude"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="85070537783"][QUOTE="pxr242"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="pxr242"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Hexum-311"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]there are much better bands out there. ciredude

Wait, what? Layered music is much better than a raging guitar playing 5 chords over and over, followed by a screeching solo... Plus you didn't answer my question...

i guess you dont realise when you are ask a rhetorical question. there are many bands that have solos and complex music as well.