Tipping is stupid?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RealHeisenberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RealHeisenberg
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Tipping is stupid. why the hell would we have to add an extra 15% to the bill? the cook gets paid, the waiter gets paid, the dishwasher gets paid, the owner GETS PAID! 15% is too much, thats almost 20%... what the hell? i remember when i was 12 years old, me and my 2 brothers were eating fish and chips, and the waitress (not hot) just stood there not saying anything until I put $2 on the table, and I needed that god damn $2 so I could afford the sales tax on yugioh cards after. how did it get so bad that you have to look like a douchebag if you dont put money on the table when you leave?
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

It's just a courteous thing to do. That's all.

And there's the fact that waiters/waitresses get paid less than the minimum wage in the US.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Tipping as a rule is stupid in my opinion. Tipping for exceptional service however makes sense to me. Where I live (New Zealand) tipping is pretty rare. People only seem to do it when the service is really good, if that even.
DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
Welfare mentality
IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

Where I live, waiters get paid below normal minimum wage, and make up for it in tips.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Its there to make them a better waitress
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Where I live, waiters get paid below normal minimum wage, and make up for it in tips.

IdioticIcarus

I believe this is the case at a number of restaurants in my area too.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="DavesAlt"]Welfare mentalityRealHeisenberg
i drive a 2011 mustang GT convertible with custom roush mods and pay $20 on gas every day kid, im typing on a 27" mac, simultaneously watching futurama on my 56" 3D SMART TV, netflix powered by my apple TV 3. I live in the most expensive city in the world, voted best place to live 5 years in a row. you dont know me kid, im better than you kid, I'm RealHeisenberg. insulting me always ends with you tucked under a blanket questioning why your parents would lie to you your whole life about how you would ever amount to anything.

r u ok
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CycleOfViolence

i drive a 2011 mustang GT convertible with custom roush mods and pay $20 on gas every day kid, im typing on a 27" mac, simultaneously watching futurama on my 56" 3D SMART TV, netflix powered by my apple TV 3. I live in the most expensive city in the world, voted best place to live 5 years in a row. you dont know me kid, im better than you kid, I'm RealHeisenberg. insulting me always ends with you tucked under a blanket questioning why your parents would lie to you your whole life about how you would ever amount to anything.

Banjo?

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
It's not and people who don't tip enough should not even go out in the first place.
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
waiters get tipped because they usually make less than minimum wage (in the US).
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Waitresses and bus boys don't actually make the minimum wage that normal folks make. So tipping makes up for that lost income.

Get over it.

BritishLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BritishLurker
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts
Why do you call yourself RealHeisenberg? Heisenberg is actually smart.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
You tip the server because they would be making 2-3 bucks an hour if you didn't.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

waiters have to deal with jackasses and such, and usually get paid under minimum wage.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I don't understand why they can't just give waiters minimum wage and then have the customers give them tip if they were courteous enough.

There are a lot of waiters whodon'tdeserve any tip but I'm obligated because you bring me food? You're just doing your job, piss off.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I agree tipping is stupid. I don't like the premise, and I don't like the added cost. I do it though unless the service is bad.

RealHeisenberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RealHeisenberg
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Waitresses and bus boys don't actually make the minimum wage that normal folks make. So tipping makes up for that lost income.

Get over it.

airshocker
then the system is wrong, and YOURE wrong for accepting it, fool.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

waiters have to deal with jackasses and such, and usually get paid under minimum wage.

konvikt_17
How is that not illegal though? Minimum wage should be minimum wage.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700

There are a lot of waiters whodon'tdeserve any tip but I'm obligated because you bring me food? You're just doing your job, piss off.

supa_badman

You aren't obligated. If the service is bad, don't tip. If I get a waitress who only takes my order and brings me my food and isn't seen again beyond that, they aren't getting a tip from me.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

I don't understand why they can't just give waiters minimum wage and then have the customers give them tip if they were courteous enough.

supa_badman
That probably should be the way, but the way it is set up now I believe tries to maximize the profits for the restaurants. If they had to pay the waiters more, menu items would cost more, I believe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

then the system is wrong, and YOURE wrong for accepting it, fool.RealHeisenberg

I'll call the waahmbulance for you.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

PernicioEnigma

no idea.

but it does seem weird that they cant just pay them minimum wage.

i think it might be more incentive for them to be nice and accomodating to the customer.

if they know they need to get tips due to not getting minimum wage, they will work harder and be nicer to the customer.

whereas, if they were getting paid minimum wage, they might just not care that much and not be a good waiter/waitress.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"][QUOTE="supa_badman"] That probably should be the way, but the way it is set up now I believe tries to maximize the profits for the restaurants. If they had to pay the waiters more, menu items would cost more, I believe

So we're screwed either way, huh? Beautiful.

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

Pirate700

You aren't obligated. If the service is bad, don't tip. If I get a waitress who only takes my order and brings me my food and isn't seen again beyond that, they aren't getting a tip from me.

I think you are, because it's part of their wage, but to be honest, I've never tried or seen anyone not give tip and catch trouble for it.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghoklebutter

Get over it.

airshocker
I can't believe I'm saying this, but you've been awesome lately.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pirate700

I think what I hate most about tipping is that it's based off a percentage. A $100 meal doesn't take any more effort than a $5 one. The tip shouldn't need to be higher because of the cost of the meal.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

Pirate700

I can't think of any more than that that I'd want from them, what else the do anywho?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I can't believe I'm saying this, but you've been awesome lately.ghoklebutter

Damn it, now I have to go out of my way to be a douche. :(

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

PernicioEnigma

They still have a minimum wage, there is just a different, lower minimum wage for tipped employees. At least where I live.

CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CycleOfViolence

supa_badman

When I tip I don't view it as an obligation (in reality it isn't an obligation, more of an expectation). I see it more as a reflection of the service provided. The only time I don't leave a tip is if I was largely dissatisfied with the waiter/waitress. With that said I generally tip 95% of the time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pirate700

think you are, because it's part of their wage, but to be honest, I've never tried or seen anyone not give tip and catch trouble for it.supa_badman
You aren't. And it's part of their wage to a point. If they don't make at least minimum wage, their employer has to bump their pay up to it. I don't mean to come off like I'm not a tipper. I tip 95+ percent of the time. I'm just not afraid not to tip if the service sucks

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]I can't believe I'm saying this, but you've been awesome lately.airshocker

Damn it, now I have to go out of my way to be a douche. :(

lol For the record, I've never seen you as a douche. I've just disagreed with you on many things.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

KiIIyou

I can't think of any more than that that I'd want from them, what else the do anywho?

Check and see if the food is ok, drink refills, and most importantly don't disappear off the face of the earth when I want the check.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 konvikt_17

the hell just happened?

anyone else see this thread have negative posts, then get locked twice, then unlocked?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

the hell just happened?

anyone else see this thread have negative posts, then get locked twice, then unlocked?

konvikt_17
A mod deleted my post. I hope I am not in trouble.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pirate700

the hell just happened?

konvikt_17

Yep, I got the locked message also.

leathaltaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 leathaltaco
Member since 2011 • 222 Posts

waitors make their living off tips they only get paid something like $2 an hour, and plus if you don't leave a tip you are a jerk

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#44 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

you know what , red lobster imposes the worst form of tipping any where, --- forcing you to pay 10-20 percent for tiip that is added to the bill instead of you basing off the service actually provided say if the server hardly did any thing she should be paid accordingly but if she gives you refills every time you asked or even better just came to the table and willingly said sir can i get you another pepsi , --thats the kind of waitress/waiter i believe deserves that ten percent , ,

not red lobsters half the time im at red lobster they do not even hardly come by my table lol

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

The idea that I'm going to give extra money to a person for performing their job as they should be is outrageous. Unless they do something that warrants it, like constantly refilling water or bread without needing to ask for it, then I would consider it. But no, just because you took my order, put it through and delivered it to me with or without a smile doesn't warrant me paying you personally for servicing me when I could have been anyone and IT IS YOUR BLOODY JOB TO DO SO.

Chickity_China

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chickity_China
Member since 2007 • 2322 Posts

Lol, ****ing scrub.

Waiter's get paid $2-3 bucks an hour. Their livelihood depends on tip. Imo if the service is nonexistent, you're obligated to pay at least 15%. I tend to leave 20% as long as the service is mediocre. But that's probably because I'm not an ignorant ass like you.

JoeJoeLaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JoeJoeLaker
Member since 2010 • 704 Posts

...Because waiters get paid sh!t.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

lol For the record, I've never seen you as a douche. I've just disagreed with you on many things. ghoklebutter

Ditto. :P

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 konvikt_17

A mod deleted my post. I hope I am not in trouble.dave123321
was it a modworthy post?

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

the hell just happened?

Pirate700

Yep, I got the locked message also.

guess mods couldnt make up their mind. or glitchspot is at it again.:P

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Perhaps @konvict