Thinking about working 80 hours a week(That's two full time weeks in one week).

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
It's a lot of work I know. However, I think the extra cash and filling of time wouldn't be too bad. The way I see it, I only need 4 hours of sleep a day(That's the way it used to be, and it was good enough). So if I stay up for 20 hours a day, I can still get an adequate level of sleep(For me). So if I worked 16 hours for some days, I could handle it. I could handle more. Anyways, when it comes to retail jobs(Or any, "Normal" working class person job for that matter) there is obviously a problem with working 80 hours a week(They'd have to give you two times the amount of full time, that's too much overtime). So I'm going to get TWO jobs. Then comes the question: If I am going to do that, how would I go about getting both my schedules too accommodate each-other avoiding the need for overtime payment(Since they don't always allow that) and of course, not overlapping each other, I can't work two places at once. Because in retail jobs they often call you when they need you, but if I wanted to come up with a specific schedule so I can squeeze both jobs in, do you think I could do that? Or would I need to rise to the ranks of CHOOSING my own schedule?
Avatar image for ILoveBeingDrunk
ILoveBeingDrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ILoveBeingDrunk
Member since 2006 • 890 Posts
I see it as wasting your life.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

A better solution would be to find a job that pays twice as much.

Or even one at your current wage that would allow you do do overtime - work a couple of hours overtime each day, which would bring you up to about 60 paid hours a week.

If you do 80 I guarantee you'll regret it. It'll be awful.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wemhim
I see it as wasting your life.ILoveBeingDrunk
I do that a lot lately, but with no excersise and profit. Might as well make some money and get my mind off things.
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
4 hours of sleep might be fine if you do nothing all day, but if your going to be working 16 hours a day youll have a mental breakdown pretty soon with only 4 hours of sleep.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wemhim

A better solution would be to find a job that pays twice as much.

Or even one at your current wage that would allow you do do overtime - work a couple of hours overtime each day, which would bring you up to about 60 paid hours a week.

If you do 80 I guarantee you'll regret it. It'll be awful.

DJ_Lae
I may, but I seriously want to do it. Plus, financially, I need a lot of money. In months time.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wemhim
4 hours of sleep might be fine if you do nothing all day, but if your going to be working 16 hours a day youll have a mental breakdown pretty soon with only 4 hours of sleep.Big_player
Possibly, but I really need a lot of money. I know someone who puts in 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, and he's alright.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
do you really need all the money? maybe if the second job was part time but thats nearly half your week devoted to just working.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
It's possible, but I don't see why you would want to do that. 40 hours is plenty enough. Unless, of course, you're a heroin addict... or owe the mafia a lot of dough. Or both :P
edd678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 edd678
Member since 2006 • 3660 Posts

4 hours sleep a day is no wy near enough. Doctors recomend at least 8 i think. 80 hours, man thats bad.

Edit: And why do you need the money so bad?

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wemhim
Well, I don't have to sleep only 4 hours, if I work 16 at most, get home, lay down, fall asleep, I could end up with about 6 hours, or maybe 8 if I just fall down right when I get home.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wemhim

really depends on what kind of work your doing

what kind of work is it?

Mkavanaugh77
Retail, places like Best Buy, Circuit City, target, simple stuff.
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 eo12601
Member since 2003 • 4814 Posts

I see it as wasting your life.ILoveBeingDrunk

QFT.

Not even worth it. In the least.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

So you want to work 80 hours a week to get more money to spend on stuff you can't even use because you won't have any time to.

That's just wasting your life.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wemhim

4 hours sleep a day is no wy near enough. Doctors recomend at least 8 i think. 80 hours, man thats bad.

edd678
My brother crashed a truck(I live with him so it affects me home wise) so we might get fined a 100,000 dollars from Qwest and we also need 10k to pay off a car company.
spacedog1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spacedog1973
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts
I suppose its possible or near possble doing two full time jobs - working in the day 9-5 and then doing a night shift somewhere maybe 10pm - 5am catching some shut eye trhoughout the night if its just a sort of wtachman/nightworker-cum keyworker role. But like others have said, its better developing your skills so that you can obtain a job that pays twice as much. In the long, for all manner of reasons its the best choice.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I think you're better off finding a job that pays more, rather then having to work two different jobs.
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 eo12601
[QUOTE="edd678"]

wemhim

My brother crashed a truck(I live with him so it affects me home wise) so we might get fined a 100,000 dollars and we also need 10k to pay off a car company.

10k isn't so bad. You can pitch in, your parents/family can pitch in, and your bro can pitch in. As for the 100,000 dollar fine... I doubt it'll come to that if you have a good lawyer.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

Well, I don't have to sleep only 4 hours, if I work 16 at most, get home, lay down, fall asleep, I could end up with about 6 hours, or maybe 8 if I just fall down right when I get home.
wemhim

then your brothers should sign himself up for a 169 hour work week. tis his fault.

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
4 hours a night might not be bad now, but I'm willing to bet it'll wear you down quick.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="edd678"]

eo12601

My brother crashed a truck(I live with him so it affects me home wise) so we might get fined a 100,000 dollars and we also need 10k to pay off a car company.

10k isn't so bad. You can pitch in, your parents/family can pitch in, and your bro can pitch in. As for the 100,000 dollar fine... I doubt it'll come to that if you have a good lawyer.

I don't have any lawyer. But even then, I'd just like to work REALLY long, just for a while at least. Maybe only for two or three months.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wemhim

[QUOTE="wemhim"]Well, I don't have to sleep only 4 hours, if I work 16 at most, get home, lay down, fall asleep, I could end up with about 6 hours, or maybe 8 if I just fall down right when I get home.
Xeros606

then your brothers should sign himself up for a 169 hour work week. tis his fault.

True. But I'd just really like to work REALLY long as well. I've been doing nothing for 2 years and I'd like to go back with a bang(14-16 hours a day).
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Seriously man, you'll end up killing yourself if you work that much.
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eo12601
[QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="edd678"]

wemhim

I don't have any lawyer. But even then, I'd just like to work REALLY long, just for a while at least. Maybe only for two or three months.

If you don't have one/can't afford one, then one is provided for you. And if you really want to do that, fine I guess. All I'm gonna say is you're going to be spending an enormous chunk of your day working at two equally unsatisfying jobs that will inhibit you from actually enjoying your life, while providing fairly minimal monetary benefits. (people who work the sort of jobs you're talking about don't get paid much)

Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="edd678"]

eo12601

A good lawyer isn't cheap. Which would lead to the same problem.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wemhim

If you don't have one/can't afford one, then one is provided for you. And if you really want to do that, fine I guess. All I'm gonna say is you're going to be spending an enormous chunk of your day working at two equally unsatisfying jobs that will inhibit you from actually enjoying your life, while providing fairly minimal monetary benefits. (people who work the sort of jobs you're talking about don't get paid much)

eo12601
That's why I want to work two jobs... But yes, I know it's not very good for me. But it's just that I tend to do nothing but go on the internet and watch movies and play games, I just want to work A LOT, then buy my own car, get an apartment, and then settle with one, maybe even save up some money for college ****s...
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
If you think you can do it and it's what you want to do I say more power to you...
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wemhim
[QUOTE="eo12601"][QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="edd678"]

Coldplay07

A good lawyer isn't cheap. Which would lead to the same problem.

True. But this isn't even the only reason why I'm doing it, it's the reason I want to do it SOON, it's more of a motivation that a reason. I just really want to do it. And I use to go to school 9 hours a day and get 3 hours of sleep a few years ago. I was alright then, of course, weekends were free, this is just a bit of less free time.
InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts
[QUOTE="Mkavanaugh77"]

what kind of work is it?

wemhim

God 80 hours a week of retail. If thats not wasting your life away I don't know what is.

Ever thought about becoming a Cop? Good pay, excellent benefits and they take care of you when you retire

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts
Whatever your on drop it and start sleeping, your mind is going places it's not suppose to. It's too much work.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wemhim
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="Mkavanaugh77"]

what kind of work is it?

InterpolWilco

God 80 hours a week of retail. If thats not wasting your life away I don't know what is.

Ever thought about becoming a Cop? Good pay, excellent benefits and they take care of you when you retire

That might be an interesting job... But the acadmeny is only open at certain parts of the year. And I'm not sure if I would get hired. I'm think about getting two jobs before March though, so I want to start working fast.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wemhim
Whatever your on drop it and start sleeping, your mind is going places it's not suppose to. It's too much work.LexLas
I just want to try it. It's not like I'm going to sign a contract that states I will be sentanced to life if I quit one of the jobs.
LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts
[QUOTE="LexLas"]Whatever your on drop it and start sleeping, your mind is going places it's not suppose to. It's too much work.wemhim
I just want to try it. It's not like I'm going to sign a contract that states I will be sentanced to life if I quit one of the jobs.

True that but dude, you better get loads of starbucks cards.
KittenNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KittenNipples
Member since 2007 • 3013 Posts
You are Madness!
Taggsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Taggsai
Member since 2007 • 1024 Posts
I would try working at a call center. My brother is working at his third (he had issues or something with managers, whatever), and he has the option to work 10 hour days, and can work any overtime he likes as long as he doesn't exceed 70 paid hours per week. He has had this same type of option at all call centers, now I'm not saying that they're ALL like that, but from what I've heard/understand, a lot of them allow you to work a lot of hours, at odd times of the day.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wemhim
You are Madness!KittenNipples
I...AM.....SPARTAAAA!!!
Food_Nipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Food_Nipple
Member since 2003 • 8379 Posts
you'll just burn out fast. A few days of that, and you WILL be exhausted
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 eo12601

[QUOTE="KittenNipples"]You are Madness!wemhim
I...AM.....SPARTAAAA!!!

Kicks you both of you out of the thread :P

Victory is mine!

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wemhim
I would try working at a call center. My brother is working at his third (he had issues or something with managers, whatever), and he has the option to work 10 hour days, and can work any overtime he likes as long as he doesn't exceed 70 paid hours per week. He has had this same type of option at all call centers, now I'm not saying that they're ALL like that, but from what I've heard/understand, a lot of them allow you to work a lot of hours, at odd times of the day. Taggsai
Woah...Cool, I wanna try that. Thanks.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wemhim
you'll just burn out fast. A few days of that, and you WILL be exhaustedFood_Nipple
Good, I think too much.
KittenNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KittenNipples
Member since 2007 • 3013 Posts

[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="KittenNipples"]You are Madness!eo12601

I...AM.....SPARTAAAA!!!

Kicks you both of you out of the thread :P

Victory is mine!

LOL
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Why in the WORLD would you work 80 hours a week? That's just terrible.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
Well, you could work a day job in retail, and a night job as security, I guess. But you should know that whether or not you can manage, 4 hours of sleep per night is unhealthy, and will likely lower your life expectancy. Is a little extra cash worth that to you?
mysticmike01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mysticmike01
Member since 2006 • 294 Posts

What are you, Mexi....um.....err...sorry. Scratch that. haha

So... the real question is.. who exactly do you owe money to so that you're that desperate to make some bucks? Fat Tony? Big Sam? The Don? Fess up, ya hooligan.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wemhim

What are you, Mexi....um.....err...sorry. Scratch that. haha

So... the real question is.. who exactly do you owe money to so that you're that desperate to make some bucks? Fat Tony? Big Sam? The Don? Fess up, ya hooligan.

mysticmike01
That's the only reason why I want to go and work faster. However, I just want to work real long to stop thinking about things. However, I'm worried that I might get fired do to my boring social skills. I'm not a comedian like most Fry's cashiers, I can say, "Have a nice day", but I'm not sure if that's enough.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Go for it man might as well get paid. Fry's cashiers actually do stuff and make jokes? :|
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
Look at it this way, 60-80 hours a week is pretty standard for most business execs. Plus there's no guarentee you'll get a full 40 hours at either job. As for your schedule places are more flexible these days, especially because you'd be able to work virtually every shift. What I would do in that situation is set up an alternating schedule, so for company A you're available to work mornings on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, nights Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and vice versa for company B. It'll certainly eat up alot of your free time but it is by no means undoable.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

It's a lot of work I know. However, I think the extra cash and filling of time wouldn't be too bad. The way I see it, I only need 4 hours of sleep a day(That's the way it used to be, and it was good enough). So if I stay up for 20 hours a day, I can still get an adequate level of sleep(For me). So if I worked 16 hours for some days, I could handle it. I could handle more. Anyways, when it comes to retail jobs(Or any, "Normal" working class person job for that matter) there is obviously a problem with working 80 hours a week(They'd have to give you two times the amount of full time, that's too much overtime). So I'm going to get TWO jobs. Then comes the question: If I am going to do that, how would I go about getting both my schedules too accommodate each-other avoiding the need for overtime payment(Since they don't always allow that) and of course, not overlapping each other, I can't work two places at once. Because in retail jobs they often call you when they need you, but if I wanted to come up with a specific schedule so I can squeeze both jobs in, do you think I could do that? Or would I need to rise to the ranks of CHOOSING my own schedule? wemhim

**** that dude. I work two jobs, and during the summer I was working 70 hours a week. And I wanted to kill myself.

Mental note: Get down to one job before summer rolls around again.

Anyway, if I was working 80 hours a week, I think I'd have to kill myself.

And that's coming from someone who works 60 hours a week, and used to work 70 hours a week. So take that for what it's worth. Yeah, an extra 10 hours a week makes a big ****ing difference.

Don't let me dissuade you though. I don't know your situation, and only you can decide what is best for you.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wemhim
Look at it this way, 60-80 hours a week is pretty standard for most business execs. Plus there's no guarentee you'll get a full 40 hours at either job. As for your schedule places are more flexible these days, especially because you'd be able to work virtually every shift. What I would do in that situation is set up an alternating schedule, so for company A you're available to work mornings on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, nights Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and vice versa for company B. It'll certainly eat up alot of your free time but it is by no means undoable.PBSnipes
That sounds like a plan. Thanks.