There is no evidence that shows Christian beliefs are false

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]He was mentioned by some historians....and in the NT. While one may debate the "faith" part of the Bible they should not debate the historical part.

LJS9502_basic

Yes they should, If the Bible is believed to be factually wrong on so many accounts as to bring into question its legitimacy then what makes you think the Historical accounts held within are any more reliable?

And that would be?

...Not quite sure what you're asking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

There is no physical evidence that Harry Potter isn't real.

You can't prove that things don't exist, it's the lack of evidence that proves it is false

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

Yes they should, If the Bible is believed to be factually wrong on so many accounts as to bring into question its legitimacy then what makes you think the Historical accounts held within are any more reliable?

mattisgod01

And that would be?

I'm asking for proof of your statement.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LJS9502_basic

There is no physical evidence that Harry Potter isn't real.

You can't prove that things don't exist, it's the lack of evidence that proves it is false

toast_burner

On the one hand I'd be surprised if some Harry Potters don't exist. It's a common name. On the other hand if you are referring to the literature....well the author did state that is her work and thus Harry exists as a character in fiction. At no time did JKR state she was writing a biography. So we can say HP of the book series doesn't exist as other than a work of fiction. Hope that clears it up for you.....

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]And that would be?LJS9502_basic

Proof that the Bible isn't Historically accurate or proof that it is full of factually untrue statements in general?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic

mattisgod01

Proof that the Bible isn't Historically accurate or proof that it is full of factually untrue statements in general?

The Bible is not intended to be a history book...that said it does have history/people mentioned in it. I'm not sure what your vague sentence refers to TBH.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]Live came into being on this planet, we know there are billions and billions of other planets.There is nothing to support religion.LJS9502_basic

But we have no evidence that there is life on those billions and billions of planets. You are going by "likely". Which is not proof.
The way you worded that amused me... it makes it sound as if Mary was not on earth when she was impregnated.Baconbits2004
She wasn't the one I was saying wasn't natural.;)

But we do know that life started on this planet so we know it happened at least once, God (s) on the other hand have no supporting evidence.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

People often say "Oh, there's no evidence that Jesus lived" and that God doesn't exist etc. But there isn't any that disproves Jesus and God exists.

gameking5000
of course he lived... but did he walk on water, defy death, and teleport fish and bread? Did Zeus really come back as a goat and have sex with hot women? They are just stories
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LJS9502_basic

But we do know that life started on this planet so we know it happened at least once, God (s) on the other hand have no supporting evidence.

tenaka2

But life takes specific requirements...and we don't know that those same requirements exist elsewhere. You "believe" they do and that life is "likely"....but you still have no proof that is so.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#60 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

People often say "Oh, there's no evidence that Jesus lived" and that God doesn't exist etc. But there isn't any that disproves Jesus and God exists.

gameking5000

The burden of prof falls on the one making the claim. It's not my job to prove that God and Jeses sisn't exist, it's yours to prove that they did.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I think that Jesus should come back and rise from the dead again to shut these atheists the f*** up, already.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm asking for proof of your statement.LJS9502_basic

The Bible is not intended to be a history book...that said it does have history/people mentioned in it. I'm not sure what your vague sentence refers to TBH.

This whole exchange has been vague. I was under the impression you were inferring that although alot of the contents of the Bible may require faith the Historical accounts are accurate and reliable. My position was that any book containing so many disputable facts can not be considered a reliable source of historical events.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

LJS9502_basic

But life takes specific requirements...and we don't know that those same requirements exist elsewhere. You "believe" they do and that life is "likely"....but you still have no proof that is so.

I don't 'believe' they do.

I believe is statistically probable.

Where as gods have no supporting evidence of any kind.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

mattisgod01

This whole exchange has been vague. I was under the impression you were inferring that although alot of the contents of the Bible may require faith the Historical accounts are accurate and reliable. My position was that any book containing so many disputable facts can not be considered a reliable source of historical events.

Yet historians do say there is history in the Bible.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

Your statistics should be based on verifiable elements. Since we have no idea if the "billions and billions" of planets have life sustainable atmospheres those statistics aren't worth very much. If we use statistics we can find those believing in a religion of some kind greatly outnumber those that don't. But that would not prove the religion is correct. Statistics are fun to play with....but they don't always say what we think they do.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] The Bible is not intended to be a history book...that said it does have history/people mentioned in it. I'm not sure what your vague sentence refers to TBH.

LJS9502_basic

Sure there's history in the Bible. There's some history in 'the Grapes of Wrath' as well. It's still a work of fiction though.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] But life takes specific requirements...and we don't know that those same requirements exist elsewhere. You "believe" they do and that life is "likely"....but you still have no proof that is so.

LJS9502_basic

Your statistics should be based on verifiable elements. Since we have no idea if the "billions and billions" of planets have life sustainable atmospheres those statistics aren't worth very much. If we use statistics we can find those believing in a religion of some kind greatly outnumber those that don't. But that would not prove the religion is correct. Statistics are fun to play with....but they don't always say what we think they do.

But we have verifiable elements, we can verify that this is a planet and we can verify that it has life on it, so we know that life can and will come into existance on planets. So the chances of it happening has already been proved a positive (because it happned here).

However the chances of there being a god are currently zero as it hasn't happened anywhere, ever.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#68 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

worlock77

Sure there's history in the Bible. There's some history in 'the Grapes of Wrath' as well. It's still a work of fiction though.

Strikes me as tbeing the same as A Tale of 2 Cities.

Sure, he French revolution happened, but the rest of the book? Not so much.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

But we have verifiable elements, we can verify that this is a planet and we can verify that it has life on it, so we know that life can and will come into existance on planets. So the chances of it happening has already been proved a positive (because it happned here).

However the chances of there being a god are currently zero as it hasn't happened anywhere, ever.

That works for this planet...not billions and billions. In our solar system....which planet has developed the kind of life earth has? And by life I don't mean simple life that stopped evolving.
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts

this is one of those topics where false or true aren't that important. the question is what do your beliefs do for you? that's all that matters.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LJS9502_basic

worlock77

That would require some factual basis. Since you cannot cross examine witnesses and have no way to prove that more exists/does not exist than humans can comprehend.....your statement is not one of fact.
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] The Bible is not intended to be a history book...that said it does have history/people mentioned in it. I'm not sure what your vague sentence refers to TBH.

LJS9502_basic

Well it was written almost 2000 years ago, Lots of books written in X time period contain history from that time. That doesn't mean that the Historical accounts in the Bible are necessarily correct or reliable. If a book written 2000 years ago said that Julius Caesar lived in 46 BCE, Was Emperor of Rome and was 10 feet tall and breathed fire. It is technically historically correct however that is not a basis for considering the latter statements as being true. And a basis for considering everything else written in the book to be questionable without further verification.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Your statistics should be based on verifiable elements. Since we have no idea if the "billions and billions" of planets have life sustainable atmospheres those statistics aren't worth very much. If we use statistics we can find those believing in a religion of some kind greatly outnumber those that don't. But that would not prove the religion is correct. Statistics are fun to play with....but they don't always say what we think they do.LJS9502_basic

That works for this planet...not billions and billions. In our solar system....which planet has developed the kind of life earth has? And by life I don't mean simple life that stopped evolving.

one of nine/eight depending on how you see it.

But we havnt visisted any of the planets as yet so it is difficult to verify.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Yet historians do say there is history in the Bible. LJS9502_basic

That would require some factual basis. Since you cannot cross examine witnesses and have no way to prove that more exists/does not exist than humans can comprehend.....your statement is not one of fact.

What is not factual about it? Are you saying 'the Grapes of Wrath' is not a work of fiction?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic

mattisgod01

Well it was written almost 2000 years ago, Lots of books written in X time period contain history from that time. That doesn't mean that the Historical accounts in the Bible are necessarily correct or reliable. If a book written 2000 years ago said that Julius Caesar lived in 46 BCE, Was Emperor of Rome and was 10 feet tall and breathed fire. It is technically historically correct however that is not a basis for considering the latter statements as being true. And a basis for considering everything else written in the book to be questionable without further verification.

You said it had historical inaccuracies and now you said its historically correct. Okay then. Now that you have revised what I found inaccurate in your initial post I'd say we are done here.
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Yet historians do say there is history in the Bible. LJS9502_basic

You said it had historical inaccuracies and now you said its historically correct. Okay then. Now that you have revised what I found inaccurate in your initial post I'd say we are done here.

I said just becuase there are aspects that can be considered historically correct isn't a basis for considering everything written within historically correct.

You said "While one may debate the "faith" part of the Bible they should not debate the historical part." While this is a vague comment you have yet to clarify your position. The Bible contains so many questionable statements that in and of itself it cannot be considered factual. Alteast not without faith, Which would contradict your statement.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Gaming_Baby"]

Christianity is almost identicle to an old Egyptian religion but i can't for the life of me remember what the religion was called. Can someone help me out here?

Stavrogin_

Christianity is nothing more than a Jewish sect, and Judaism originated from Atenism, or the cult of Aten. I believe that's the "old Egyptian religion" you were referring to. Probably the first monotheistic (some say henotheistic) religion.

Judaism is not from Atenism. That's stupid, and purely speculation.

That's like saying Norse Paganism evolved out of Greek Paganism because Greek Paganism came first.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="Stavrogin_"][QUOTE="The_Gaming_Baby"]

Christianity is almost identicle to an old Egyptian religion but i can't for the life of me remember what the religion was called. Can someone help me out here?

th3warr1or

Christianity is nothing more than a Jewish sect, and Judaism originated from Atenism, or the cult of Aten. I believe that's the "old Egyptian religion" you were referring to. Probably the first monotheistic (some say henotheistic) religion.

Judaism is not from Atenism. That's stupid.

Care to offer an alternative or are you of the view that Judaism is completely original?

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="Stavrogin_"] Christianity is nothing more than a Jewish sect, and Judaism originated from Atenism, or the cult of Aten. I believe that's the "old Egyptian religion" you were referring to. Probably the first monotheistic (some say henotheistic) religion.mattisgod01

Judaism is not from Atenism. That's stupid.

Care to offer an alternative or are you of the view that Judaism is completely original?

Re-read my post. If a man in China was the first to cough, it doesn't mean a Greek man copied him by coughing. Similarities in religions happen a lot, but when you look deeper, they all but disappear completely.

Completely original? As in, being in the first monotheistic religion? Yes. People often argue that Manichaeism is monotheistic and that it precedes Judaism. As far as preceding Judaism goes, yes it did. But as far as the monotheistic claims go, Manichaeism is dualistic. Ahura Mazda may be the Supreme God, but Ahriman is his "brother," not his creation. Both of them are uncreated.

The only reason they're not polytheistic (worship of multiple deities) is because nobody in their right mind would worship Ahriman.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="gameking5000"]

tenaka2

I am from the planet jupiter, my species is quite lucky, life only exists on a small number of gas giants. I am 27,000 years old and I navigate though the gas layers using a complex bladder floatation system. I am also host to a varied parasitic ecosystem.

But it can get boring just floating about so I post here for the lols.

i think i'd sooner believe this than i would christianity :lol:

ScottMescudi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#81 ScottMescudi
Member since 2011 • 1550 Posts
I could care less on what people believe in. I'm a good Christian and I believe in Jesus. At least I'm not the one that's going to burn in hell. :P
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I could care less on what people believe in. I'm a good Christian and I believe in Jesus. At least I'm not the one that's going to burn in hell. :PScottMescudi

Yes, you will. Every other religion says that you are wrong and worshipping the wrong god. You are going to the hell equivalent of those respective religion.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="ScottMescudi"]I could care less on what people believe in. I'm a good Christian and I believe in Jesus. At least I'm not the one that's going to burn in hell. :PXaosII

Yes, you will. Every other religion says that you are wrong and worshipping the wrong god. You are going to the hell equivalent of those respective religion.

Also, I'm not sure how the God of Christianity feels about smugness, though the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector indicates possible stormy weather ahead for ScottMescudi
Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#84 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
I could care less on what people believe in. I'm a good Christian and I believe in Jesus. At least I'm not the one that's going to burn in hell. :PScottMescudi
That's what you think. It doesn't make it true.
ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts

[QUOTE="ScottMescudi"]I could care less on what people believe in. I'm a good Christian and I believe in Jesus. At least I'm not the one that's going to burn in hell. :PXaosII

There are some religions that believe all religions are one.
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Judaism is not from Atenism. That's stupid. th3warr1or

Re-read my post. If a man in China was the first to cough, it doesn't mean a Greek man copied him by coughing. Similarities in religions happen a lot, but when you look deeper, they all but disappear completely.

Completely original? As in, being in the first monotheistic religion? Yes. People often argue that Manichaeism is monotheistic and that it precedes Judaism. As far as preceding Judaism goes, yes it did. But as far as the monotheistic claims go, Manichaeism is dualistic. Ahura Mazda may be the Supreme God, but Ahriman is his "brother," not his creation. Both of them are uncreated.

The only reason they're not polytheistic (worship of multiple deities) is because nobody in their right mind would worship Ahriman.

Re-read it? Your post was so brief that i've read it 50 times in the last 30 seconds, That was my point. If you are going to say that someone else is wrong it helps to have a little more substance in your post to back your assertion. As you have just done. That is all.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

mattisgod01

Re-read it? Your post was so brief that i've read it 50 times in the last 30 seconds, That was my point. If you are going to say that someone else is wrong it helps to have a little more substance in your post to back your assertion. As you have just done. That is all.

My apologies. I tried updating the post (that I asked you to re-read), but then I ran into some error with the WYSIWYG post editor, so the post didn't update, and I decided to re-word everything and then include it in the second post.

Just a misunderstanding/miscommunication.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#88 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

LJS9502_basic

People didnt even think pontius pilate was real untill the 1960s when they found the pontius stone. Not many records we have from that far back in time. Atheists even goes as far as to say jesus was not even real. They hold jesus to standards they don't use on anyone els. Did you know we have no record of Alexander the great until 200 years after he died? We have information on jesus around his life time but that's not good eunght to them .We even know about jesus brother james.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="Stavrogin_"][QUOTE="The_Gaming_Baby"]

th3warr1or

That's like saying Norse Paganism evolved out of Greek Paganism because Greek Paganism came first.

Partly right, Judaism didn't so much evolve from atenism as it did in reaction to atenism. There's evidence of a lower-class revolt against the Egyptian ruling class and iconoclastic damage to signs of the pharoh's power at around the time that the exodus was said to have taken place.Judaeic theology and the names and practices attributed to god share more with the local Cannanite gods than they do with the Egyptian ones.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I'm an atheist and I think you are going nowhere fast.....
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 theone86

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

th3warr1or

Atenism is monotheistic, and was practiced in exactly the same region where Judaism originated from.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

[QUOTE="Stavrogin_"] Christianity is nothing more than a Jewish sect, and Judaism originated from Atenism, or the cult of Aten. I believe that's the "old Egyptian religion" you were referring to. Probably the first monotheistic (some say henotheistic) religion.theone86

Partly right, Judaism didn't so much evolve from atenism as it did in reaction to atenism. There's evidence of a lower-class revolt against the Egyptian ruling class and iconoclastic damage to signs of the pharoh's power at around the time that the exodus was said to have taken place.Judaeic theology and the names and practices attributed to god share more with the local Cannanite gods than they do with the Egyptian ones.

A lot of religions came as reactions to other religions though. For example, there are verses in the Tanakh that are clearly meant in opposition to Manichaeism/Zoroastrianism. As Zoroastrianism was dualistic (Ormazd was ALL good, and Ahriman was ALL evil), Judaism countered that by stating that all things, good and evil, came from God. As such, this is why I reject the Christian concept of an all-good God.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LJS9502_basic

mattisgod01

I said just becuase there are aspects that can be considered historically correct isn't a basis for considering everything written within historically correct.

You said "While one may debate the "faith" part of the Bible they should not debate the historical part." While this is a vague comment you have yet to clarify your position. The Bible contains so many questionable statements that in and of itself it cannot be considered factual. Alteast not without faith, Which would contradict your statement.

I'm not sure what's vague about historical people and events.:?
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

theone86

Atenism is monotheistic, and was practiced in exactly the same region where Judaism originated from.

Judaism originated from Ur/Babylon or Canaan, not Egypt. It began with Avram/Avraham, not Moses. People often think that the Ten Commandments and Sinay were where Judaism originated. Not so. The first covenant was with Avram. Judaism further developed and expanded greatly under Moses, but Moses himself was of the tribe of Levi, a son of Jacob/Israel.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Judaism is not from Atenism. That's stupid, and purely speculation.

th3warr1or

A lot of religions came as reactions to other religions though. For example, there are verses in the Tanakh that are clearly meant in opposition to Manichaeism/Zoroastrianism. As Zoroastrianism was dualistic (Ormazd was ALL good, and Ahriman was ALL evil), Judaism countered that by stating that all things, good and evil, came from God. As such, this is why I reject the Christian concept of an all-good God.

Isn't that a slight against a religion's validity, though? Religion has been held to be completely true by its followers, most of the time revealed by divine means. Why would reactions and counter-reactions be necessary if this were true? If that's the case, then religion holds no more validity than a period of art. Saying, "this religion is true" is like saying only Baroque art is true art.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 mattisgod01

dontshackzmii

People didnt even think pontius pilate was real untill the 1960s when they found the pontius stone. Not many records we have from that far back in time. Atheists even goes as far as to say jesus was not even real. They hold jesus to standards they don't use on anyone els. Did you know we have no record of Alexander the great until 200 years after he died? We have information on jesus around his life time but that's not good eunght to them .We even know about jesus brother james.

You are comparing apples and oranges, Alexander the Great, While being referred to as great is not held up to be a Supernatural/Godlike being. Whether Jesus existed or not isn't even that relevant as this isn't an issue of whether a person named Jesus during those times existed but whether the Biblical account of who he was and what he did is true. If Jesus did exist but he was just a common man and nothing more then he would be irrelevant to everyone. We are talking about the Jesus, Son of God. Not the Jesus, Common man. You take away the Biblical account of Jesus and you have very little evidence to back up the Biblical claims and very little evidence to prove he even existed.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Re-read my post. If a man in China was the first to cough, it doesn't mean a Greek man copied him by coughing. Similarities in religions happen a lot, but when you look deeper, they all but disappear completely.

th3warr1or

Judaism originated from Ur/Babylon or Canaan, not Egypt. It began with Avram/Avraham, not Moses. People often think that the Ten Commandments and Sinay were where Judaism originated. Not so. The first covenant was with Avram. Judaism further developed and expanded greatly under Moses, but Moses himself was of the tribe of Levi, a son of Jacob/Israel.

There's no proof that Moses even existed, much less that the Biblical figures that preceeded him did. The ten commandments? Allegory, the Jews didn't wander the desert for forty years nor did an elderly man climb Mt. Sinai to ahve a private chat with god. In fact, I don't even think Jews self-identified as Jews at the time the commandments were said to have been written. I go by the evidence I have, and all the evidence points to the Jewish people being disgruntled Egyptian citizens in the lower caste in Egypt's Cannanite territories. They revolted against Egyptian rule, they revolted against Atenism, and they tried to create new monotheistic religions using existing Cannanite gods, with Jaweh eventually winning out.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 mattisgod01

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You said it had historical inaccuracies and now you said its historically correct. Okay then. Now that you have revised what I found inaccurate in your initial post I'd say we are done here.LJS9502_basic

I'm not sure what's vague about historical people and events.:?

Do you actually have a point to make or do you just want me to keep providing the substance while you make unproductive one liners?

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#99 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

http://youtu.be/NUuzxjwXVXE

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 th3warr1or

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

Isn't that a slight against a religion's validity, though? Religion has been held to be completely true by its followers, most of the time revealed by divine means. Why would reactions and counter-reactions be necessary if this were true? If that's the case, then religion holds no more validity than a period of art. Saying, "this religion is true" is like saying only Baroque art is true art.

Not necessarily. It depends on how one views religion. A religious book (believed to be divinely inspired, by its followers) could very well be the sayings of its gods or God.

In the same way humans debate, gods could have their own conflicts (often even within the same religion itself, as I mentioned earlier with the example of Manichaeism). As such, if Thor were to declare himself god of thunder, Zeus could tell his followers that he (Zeus) is the true god of thunder. In that vein, whatever was written down by the Greek scribe, would be that "Zeus alone is the true god of thunder," and you would be right in saying that it is a reaction to the Norse declaration of Thor being the thunder god.

Obviously, this wouldn't work too well in the event where a religion's deity claims to be the only god in existence. Nonetheless, I have an alternative; there is only one correct religion in the world (for the sake of this discussion, do not counter me by saying "there is no god or correct religion"). As such, what is percevied as "reactive" by people observing the religious book, is actually a god "correcting" its followers' misconceptions.

Think of it as such. If for some reason, I had the preconceived notion that babies came from overeating (which is obviously wrong), and I voiced that opinion in front of my mother/father/brother who happens to be a biology major, they will "correct" me by stating otherwise. Their statement is a direct consequence of my erroneous claim, and is "reactive." It does not, however, make it any less their statement.