The Oscars are tonight !

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

D-RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 D-RS
Member since 2009 • 2003 Posts

I can't believe they are tonight , 2009 seemed like a very short year, Now lets stop talking about 2009 and lets start about 2010 , main competition is between Avatar and Hurt locker for best picture , only if Up screws them and wins it , James cameron and his Ex-Wife are fighting for best director , this one will go james cameron . Also would like Harry potter 6 to win best cinematography , but that will be impossible ,Avatar will sweep the Technical categories.

Now what are your Oscar expectations?

Avatar image for ConformestClone
ConformestClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ConformestClone
Member since 2004 • 13103 Posts
Avatar was nominated for best picture. I'm not supporting this.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
Hopefully some decent parties. And I am expecting a lot of traffic in my neighborhood so I'm not coming home until they open the roads again.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
I'm looking forward to the show. :)
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

The Blind Side was nominated for Best Picture. So, yeah, I don't expect much.

Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

Never got into it

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

Avatar was nominated for best picture. I'm not supporting this.ConformestClone

ditto
but it's not like district 9 will win either:cry:

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
ive only seen like 2 of the nominated films...oh well
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

gonna be blunt: Meh. its the Oscars. Who cares.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
All the films nominated are easily masterpieces, whatever wins or loses this fact will not change...
Tannerr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11 Tannerr33
Member since 2004 • 896 Posts

I have never been able to sit through the oscars. I'm gonna flip a coin this year and if it is heads I'm gonna just skip them and if it is tails I'm going to force myself to watch the entire thing no matter how boring it gets.

Edit - Tails, looks like I'm watching it this year.

cheesyjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cheesyjon
Member since 2009 • 45844 Posts

Cool, Oscars. I probably won't watch them, though.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

All the films nominated are easily masterpieces, whatever wins or loses this fact will not change...Jazz_Fan

Even The Blind side:P

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

The time zone is different where I live, so the Oscars have been and gone. Who would of thought that Astro Boy would win best picture.

ConformestClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConformestClone
All the films nominated are easily masterpieces, whatever wins or loses this fact will not change...Jazz_Fan
You are joking, right?
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
Avatar was nominated for best picture. I'm not supporting this.ConformestClone
There were 10 nominees this year, a move that was explicitly done to get blockbuster genre flicks in. Were you honestly shocked and outraged when Avatar was nominated? Especially with the expanded pool, the Oscar's would've been positively stoned by the public and media if Avatar was snubbed. If a contingent of people were griping about the Dark Knight's exclusion (which I felt wasn't particularly wrong), you can imagine what the backlash for not nominating Avatar would've been.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sajedene
[QUOTE="ConformestClone"]Avatar was nominated for best picture. I'm not supporting this.Paladin_King
There were 10 nominees this year, a move that was explicitly done to get blockbuster genre flicks in. Were you honestly shocked and outraged when Avatar was nominated? Especially with the expanded pool, the Oscar's would've been positively stoned by the public and media if Avatar was snubbed. If a contingent of people were griping about the Dark Knight's exclusion (which I felt wasn't particularly wrong), you can imagine what the backlash for not nominating Avatar would've been.

I find the whole thing absurd and a joke at this point.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Paladin_King

It's a Hollywood award show in 2010. Did you expect anything better?

And if you think the Oscars are bad, I'm dying to hear your thoughts on the Grammys. As far as the best picture nominees, I've seen them all except An Education and I honestly feel that the Blind Side and Inglourious Basterds were far weirder nominees than Avatar.

Whether it's wrong or not, major award shows are as much about their audience as they are their participants. Would they be any more meaningful if 10 indie and/or foreign flicks no one watched were nominated? Even if (assuming qualitative judgments are objective) they were better?

10 movies would've been nominated that few, anyone, cared about.

Would that be anymore meaningful than having ten nominees that aren't optimal? It's a weird combination of acceptable quality and acceptable viewership.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sajedene
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"]It's a Hollywood award show in 2010. Did you expect anything better? And if you think the Oscars are bad, I'm dying to hear your thoughts on the Grammys. As far as the best picture nominees, I've seen them all except An Education and I honestly feel that the Blind Side and Inglourious Basterds were far weirder nominees than Avatar.

Don't get me wrong - I like the Grammy's and the Osars. The masses are just too focused on "best picture" and forget all the other people involved in the making of the movies who deserve awards as well.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Paladin_King
[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="Paladin_King"]It's a Hollywood award show in 2010. Did you expect anything better? And if you think the Oscars are bad, I'm dying to hear your thoughts on the Grammys. As far as the best picture nominees, I've seen them all except An Education and I honestly feel that the Blind Side and Inglourious Basterds were far weirder nominees than Avatar.

Don't get me wrong - I like the Grammy's and the Osars. The masses are just too focused on "best picture" and forget all the other people involved in the making of the movies who deserve awards as well.

Realistically, I'm not sure that there's any way to change that. If the Oscars didn't focus on the big awards, no one would watch and those deserving people would be just as unrecognized. It sucks, but more will want to watch James Cameron's billionth acceptance speech.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="ConformestClone"]Avatar was nominated for best picture. I'm not supporting this.Paladin_King

I was hoping that the expanded 10 best picture would be a chance for more lesser known indie films to be nominated. That was a dumb thing to think:(

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Should be fun, looking forward to it. Btw TC, Up has basically no chance of winning Best Picture...
ConformestClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConformestClone
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"][QUOTE="ConformestClone"]Avatar was nominated for best picture. I'm not supporting this.Sajedene

I find the whole thing absurd and a joke at this point.

The Oscars have always been a joke. Honestly: Citizen Kane never won a single Oscar. Pulp Fiction? Nah. The list goes on. I'm not shocked by the fact, just in awe towards how low the idea of "artistic" has sank in the minds of the academy.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sajedene
[QUOTE="Paladin_King"][QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="Paladin_King"]It's a Hollywood award show in 2010. Did you expect anything better? And if you think the Oscars are bad, I'm dying to hear your thoughts on the Grammys. As far as the best picture nominees, I've seen them all except An Education and I honestly feel that the Blind Side and Inglourious Basterds were far weirder nominees than Avatar.

Realistically, I'm not sure that there's any way to change that. If the Oscars didn't focus on the big awards, no one would watch and those deserving people would be just as unrecognized. It sucks, but more will want to watch James Cameron's billionth acceptance speech.

Oh I know. But I like seeing the deserving people behind the movie win.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RobbieH1234

I was hoping that the expanded 10 best picture would be a chance for more lesser known indie films to be nominated. That was a dumb thing to think:(

Film-Guy

I hoped for this when it was first announced, then reality set in 4 seconds later.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Paladin_King

[QUOTE="Paladin_King"][QUOTE="ConformestClone"]Avatar was nominated for best picture. I'm not supporting this.Film-Guy

Given the pretty explicit emphasis on doing the exact opposite....yeah, it kind of was. They were pretty open from the get-go that they were doing it to get more big-budget monsters in there to increase sagging ratings. Tossing in more indie films would've just made it worse. Probably much worse.

Frankly, it was pretty surprising that Star Trek didn't find its in there. Even An Education's presence was a "wtf where is Star Trek" moment for a lot of people.

Personally, I'm sad Moon didn't get anything. Sam Rockwell was tremendous in that movie

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Paladin_King"] There were 10 nominees this year, a move that was explicitly done to get blockbuster genre flicks in. Were you honestly shocked and outraged when Avatar was nominated? Especially with the expanded pool, the Oscar's would've been positively stoned by the public and media if Avatar was snubbed. If a contingent of people were griping about the Dark Knight's exclusion (which I felt wasn't particularly wrong), you can imagine what the backlash for not nominating Avatar would've been.Paladin_King

Given the pretty explicit emphasis on doing the exact opposite....yeah, it kind of was. They were pretty open from the get-go that they were doing it to get more big-budget monsters in there to increase sagging ratings. Tossing in more indie films would've just made it worse. Probably much worse. Frankly, it was pretty surprising that Star Trek didn't find its in there. Even An Education's presence was a "wtf where is Star Trek" moment for a lot of people.

I'm glad to see An Education nominated. It wasnt a great film but Carey Mulligan was fantastic. Funny how every year there tends to be a British film that people in America fall in love with. Most of the time that film presents a very romantic and anglophile friendly version of Britain. Films like This is England, Fish Tank, or Nil By mouth dont get much attention here most of the time.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Paladin_King
Didn't see the other two you mentioned, but I did quite like This is England. Edited my post after you posted, but I'm sort of bummed about Moon. I really liked that movie and certainly felt it was better than Blind Side and Inglourious. But, again, realistically I'm not surprised it got nothing. Though Sam Rockwell's being completely ignored does suck.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Film-Guy

Didn't see the other two you mentioned, but I did quite like This is England. Edited my post after you posted, but I'm sort of bummed about Moon. I really liked that movie and certainly felt it was better than Blind Side and Inglourious. But, again, realistically I'm not surprised it got nothing. Though Sam Rockwell's being completely ignored does suck.Paladin_King

Yeah Sam Rockwell has been giving consistantly good performances for years but Moon is his best by far. He looked a bit like Christian bale in Moon at times though. Viggo Mortensen, John Malkovich, and Nicholas Cage also got ignored despite their great performances sadly but that is to be expected at the Oscars or any award show.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Paladin_King

[QUOTE="Paladin_King"]Didn't see the other two you mentioned, but I did quite like This is England. Edited my post after you posted, but I'm sort of bummed about Moon. I really liked that movie and certainly felt it was better than Blind Side and Inglourious. But, again, realistically I'm not surprised it got nothing. Though Sam Rockwell's being completely ignored does suck.Film-Guy

Yeah Sam Rockwell has been giving consistantly good performances for years but Moon is his best by far. He looked a bit like Christian bale in Moon at times though. Viggo Mortensen, John Malkovich, and Nicholas Cage also got ignored despite their great performances sadly but that is to be expected at the Oscars or any award show.

While I wasn't surprised by Moon's snubbing, I was with the Road. Biggish name, decent publicity, based off of a popular book. Completely snubbed. That one really got me.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

It really will be a joke if Avatar wins best picture. Just about every other nominee is a better movie.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Avatar won't win, but it's a travesty that it potentially could. Its special effects are the films' only positive side, and the 3D gimmick wears off pretty soon. The Hurt Locker, though not my favourite movie this year, should win.
akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 akbar13
Member since 2009 • 2186 Posts

The oscar for best picture should go to District 9...

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
Might not be able to see it since ABC removed themselves from CABLE..
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

It really will be a joke if Avatar wins best picture. Just about every other nominee is a better movie.

Pixel-Pirate
Yeah, the only reason I plan to watch (if i can) is to see if many failed for the hype that is Avatar.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
For the love of god, please let Carey Mulligan win. :(
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Film-Guy

For the love of god, please let Carey Mulligan win. :(sammyjenkis898

I think Gaborney Sidibe will probably win. It's funny though I think Carey Mulligan is getting more hype than Meryl streep. I think that is awesome:D

groundgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#38 groundgamer
Member since 2009 • 2122 Posts
Hopefully The Hurt Locker picks up some awards, as well as Avatar as well, of course. Although, I would of liked District 9 to be in a few more categories.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

The "expanded pool" crap is just a ruse. By nominating tons of stuff they keep fans of the movies happy, and they watch the show to see if their movie wins. With fewer entries you have less people watching which equates to less AD revenue.

Now all of that doesnt really mean anything. Its just smoke and mirrors. A movie that previously wouldnt have had a chance to win because it wouldnt be nominated STILL has no chance of winning. The powers that be will still vote for the same movie that would have STILL got nominated before the change.

Nothing is different. Its just to give the illusion that something changed.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RobbieH1234

For the love of god, please let Carey Mulligan win. :(sammyjenkis898
Matt Damon has a better chance of winning Supporting Actor. :P

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]For the love of god, please let Carey Mulligan win. :(RobbieH1234

After rewatching The Messenger I wouldnt mind Woody Harrelson winning best supporting actor. He was fantastic, and just as good as Christoph Waltz but in a different way.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]For the love of god, please let Carey Mulligan win. :(RobbieH1234

I'm going to change the channel when/if Sandra Bullock wins.
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
What channel is it on?
Omzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Omzzz
Member since 2010 • 1440 Posts
there's always politics in awards these days...it makes me not want to watch any award shows
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Will be watching... (albeit only to see how Avatar does) :P

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#46 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Oh boy. What a treat.

MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts

It's sad how people on this website don't know anything about Film. The movies this year are terrible compared to the movies of the past years that were nominated. Is hating Avatar the cool thing with kids these days, because Avatar is the only really great movie this year that deserves to win in every category it's nominated for, especially Best Picture. The Hurt Locker was good, but It's not Oscar good, there just weren't any real great movies this year. The Hurt Locker really shows how arrogant Americans are. They glorify American deaths, but whenever anybody else dies that's not American, who cares. And it really shows how cocky those soldiers are in real life.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The Hurt Locker's on TV right now in my country. And a sports magazine had the DVD bundled Thursday.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]All the films nominated are easily masterpieces, whatever wins or loses this fact will not change...ConformestClone
You are joking, right?

I support this statement. Especially since no one seems to have ever even heard of "An Education."
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
[QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]All the films nominated are easily masterpieces, whatever wins or loses this fact will not change...ConformestClone
You are joking, right?

I never joke.