The Hobbit was a major dissapointment

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

I don't get why everyone needs action to be satisfied. And there was plenty of action, that was enjoyable. It had more original, thoughtful scenes, especially the one with Gollum and Bilbo having the battle of riddles.

And the pace was not that slow. A ton of things happened in this movie. People need to learn some patience, sit back and enjoy things.

VendettaRed07

Dude it's hip to have ADHD now get with the times, duh.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

My only gripe with the film was that the scenes with the necromancer story were too long winded and didn't lead anywhere in the film.

I understand it will develop more in the sequels, but it was disjointed and out of place from everything else that was happening. (and kinda boring)

Radagast, the council in Rivendale, the necomancer, all of that should have been cut and saved for part 2.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts
[QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="Justinps2hero"]I'm reading the book at the moment, nearly finished it now, but I can't work out how on earth they can stretch three long loooonnnngggg films from it. Can I ask where it ends (spoiler alert), at a guess in the woods, at Boerns place, or is it after the Goblin Mountain? Maybe on 2nds thoughts they just leave the Shire at the end of the film & set out on a unexpected journey. Looking forward to seeing it, but can tell its a bit of a rip off already.Justinps2hero
I'll tell you how: 130 pages of Appendices. And the fact that whilst everything in LOTR is spelled out and detailed, the Hobbit is vague. Where does Gandalf go, and what does he do? The movies will cover it. They're adding a lot of Tolkien material into these movies. And it ends a bit after the Mountain, right before Beorn.

Your quite right, it skips straight over that in the book, so the filler is obviously worthy in the film, thats good.

Sarcasm? Tolkien wrote it for children, it wasn't supposed to be incredibly detailed. The book only follows Bilbo, so of course it doesn't go with Gandalf. It's not filler, as Tolkien wrote what happened. I don't know why people are complaining about getting to spend more time in Jackson's Middle Earth, with material supported by Tolkien nonetheless!
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
It was okay, I enjoyed the Man of Steel trailer a lot more though.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 brucewayne69

My only gripe with the film was that the scenes with the necromancer story were too long winded and didn't lead anywhere in the film.

I understand it will develop more in the sequels, but it was disjointed and out of place from everything else that was happening. (and kinda boring)

Radagast, the council in Rivendale, the necomancer, all of that should have been cut and saved for part 2.

Blue-Sky
Cut? Seriously? How could the Council of *Rivendell be put into DoS? Gandalf is going to go from Rivendell to the mountain and then to Beorn's, and all the way back to Rivendell? Silliness
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#56 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Needed more explosions.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Radagast in Dol Guldur was my favourite scene. I saw the movie after being awake for two days and when the Necromancer showed up...

1357247493529fvce6.gif

SergeantGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 SergeantGuy
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts
I know a lot of Lord of the Ring fans were a little disappointed because the Hobbit, while being a LOTR prequel, wasn't really a LOTR style movie. As a LOTR fan myself, I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's nice to finally get some more back story on the LOTR, as I'm too lazy to read all those 900 page books lol. Though, I thought the story could have been more LOTR style. What I mean is, the whole magical dragon wanting gold for the lulz was just too magicy for a LOTR movie (and yes I know the Hobbit came first, book wise). Overall, it was a decent movie.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I liked it. Comparing Fellowship to it I'd say overall I preferred An Unexpected Journey actually. Very different feel to it which may be jarring to some but anyone who has read the book should expect that going in. They did a good job with the characters, acting was good and the effects for the most part worked well. I am pessimistic about the second film though. Solely because Hobbit is such a short book, I almost feel like they should have kept it at two movies but we'll see next year how it goes. Lots of nice little touches for the hardcore fans as well though I can see how those less interested in the whole story of Middle-Earth could be put off or confused by some of the parts given screen time.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts
I know a lot of Lord of the Ring fans were a little disappointed because the Hobbit, while being a LOTR prequel, wasn't really a LOTR style movie. As a LOTR fan myself, I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's nice to finally get some more back story on the LOTR, as I'm too lazy to read all those 900 page books lol. Though, I thought the story could have been more LOTR style. What I mean is, the whole magical dragon wanting gold for the lulz was just too magicy for a LOTR movie (and yes I know the Hobbit came first, book wise).SergeantGuy
You think they should have changed the entire point of the story's plot? Without the dragon there is no quest there, thus Bilbo never leaves the Shire (consequently this would f*ck the story of 'the Lord of the Rings' as well).
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Ace6301
[QUOTE="SergeantGuy"]I know a lot of Lord of the Ring fans were a little disappointed because the Hobbit, while being a LOTR prequel, wasn't really a LOTR style movie. As a LOTR fan myself, I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's nice to finally get some more back story on the LOTR, as I'm too lazy to read all those 900 page books lol. Though, I thought the story could have been more LOTR style. What I mean is, the whole magical dragon wanting gold for the lulz was just too magicy for a LOTR movie (and yes I know the Hobbit came first, book wise).worlock77
You think they should have changed the entire point of the story's plot? Without the dragon there is no quest there, thus Bilbo never leaves the Shire (consequently this would f*ck the story of 'the Lord of the Rings' as well).

I've actually seen a few people complain about Smaug just being a magical dragon after shiny things. I suppose the first movie didn't do the best job of conveying the fact he's extremely intelligent very well.
SergeantGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SergeantGuy
[QUOTE="SergeantGuy"]I know a lot of Lord of the Ring fans were a little disappointed because the Hobbit, while being a LOTR prequel, wasn't really a LOTR style movie. As a LOTR fan myself, I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's nice to finally get some more back story on the LOTR, as I'm too lazy to read all those 900 page books lol. Though, I thought the story could have been more LOTR style. What I mean is, the whole magical dragon wanting gold for the lulz was just too magicy for a LOTR movie (and yes I know the Hobbit came first, book wise).worlock77

I realize that, but what I was trying to say is to have something other than the magical dragon attack the dwarfs kingdom. I know it's harder to do because of the book put it in stone and all, but they could have easily tweeked the tone just a bit. For example, make the dragon more demonic like some of the beasts that the eye of Sauron (don't know how to spell that, sorry) used in the trilogy. Stuff like that.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="SergeantGuy"]I know a lot of Lord of the Ring fans were a little disappointed because the Hobbit, while being a LOTR prequel, wasn't really a LOTR style movie. As a LOTR fan myself, I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's nice to finally get some more back story on the LOTR, as I'm too lazy to read all those 900 page books lol. Though, I thought the story could have been more LOTR style. What I mean is, the whole magical dragon wanting gold for the lulz was just too magicy for a LOTR movie (and yes I know the Hobbit came first, book wise). Overall, it was a decent movie.

900 page books? There are no 900 page books, unless you count LOTR as one book, as Tolkien did. And change the whole plot? You fvcking dumb?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Baranga

[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="SergeantGuy"]I know a lot of Lord of the Ring fans were a little disappointed because the Hobbit, while being a LOTR prequel, wasn't really a LOTR style movie. As a LOTR fan myself, I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's nice to finally get some more back story on the LOTR, as I'm too lazy to read all those 900 page books lol. Though, I thought the story could have been more LOTR style. What I mean is, the whole magical dragon wanting gold for the lulz was just too magicy for a LOTR movie (and yes I know the Hobbit came first, book wise).SergeantGuy

I realize that, but what I was trying to say is to have something other than the magical dragon attack the dwarfs kingdom. I know it's harder to do because of the book put it in stone and all, but they could have easily tweeked the tone just a bit. For example, make the dragon more demonic like some of the beasts that the eye of Sauron (don't know how to spell that, sorry) used in the trilogy. Stuff like that.

Sometime after Christopher Tolkien dies and someone snatches the rights to The Silmarillion, we'll see this on the big screen:

Yes, those are mountains and that's a flying ship. And Smaug-tier dragons flying around.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Ace6301

[QUOTE="SergeantGuy"][QUOTE="worlock77"] You think they should have changed the entire point of the story's plot? Without the dragon there is no quest there, thus Bilbo never leaves the Shire (consequently this would f*ck the story of 'the Lord of the Rings' as well).Baranga

Sometime after Christopher Tolkien dies and someone snatches the rights to The Silmarillion, we'll see this on the big screen:

Yes, those are mountains and that's a flying ship. And Smaug-tier dragons flying around.

Too bad they've already messed around with the dates in Hobbit to avoid having to touch on Silmarillion stuff.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="SergeantGuy"]I know a lot of Lord of the Ring fans were a little disappointed because the Hobbit, while being a LOTR prequel, wasn't really a LOTR style movie. As a LOTR fan myself, I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It's nice to finally get some more back story on the LOTR, as I'm too lazy to read all those 900 page books lol. Though, I thought the story could have been more LOTR style. What I mean is, the whole magical dragon wanting gold for the lulz was just too magicy for a LOTR movie (and yes I know the Hobbit came first, book wise).SergeantGuy

Yeah, makes sense, except for the glaring fact that Smaug wasn't under Sauron's control. He's a dragon, and the creatures that the Nazgul flew weren't. Also, we never got a full look at him, so what are you basing your opinions on? Why do you keep saying magical? Are Elves less magical? Rings of Power aren't magical? I know you haven't read the books, and based on how you said "eye of Sauron" you should probably keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. You really don't know what you're talking about.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#67 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

I was certainly underwhelmed by it. Not quite Phantom Menace levels of disappointment, but it could have been a lot better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The book was a very light hearted adventure. The movie had none of that. It tried to make it into more of a LOTR serious business story.

SergeantGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SergeantGuy
[QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="SergeantGuy"][QUOTE="worlock77"] You think they should have changed the entire point of the story's plot? Without the dragon there is no quest there, thus Bilbo never leaves the Shire (consequently this would f*ck the story of 'the Lord of the Rings' as well).

Yeah, makes sense, except for the glaring fact that Smaug wasn't under Sauron's control. He's a dragon, and the creatures that the Nazgul flew weren't. Also, we never got a full look at him, so what are you basing your opinions on? Why do you keep saying magical? Are Elves less magical? Rings of Power aren't magical? I know you haven't read the books, and based on how you said "eye of Sauron" you should probably keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Calm down asshat. The thing about the ring and the elves and all that was that it was a dark story, not this "magic dragon sees shiny things!!!!!!" crap that was in this movie. Also, it's been a long time since I've seen the trilogy or read anything LOTR, so I used that "eye of Sauron" thing as an example. And I never said that Sauron should control the dragon in the story. I said that they should take away the "OMG SHINY THINGS!!!!" aspect of the story and make the dragon darker like the various enemies in the trilogy.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Ace6301

The book was a very light hearted adventure. The movie had none of that. It tried to make it into more of a LOTR serious business story.

sonicare
It certainly was darker in tone than the book. However it didn't quite reach the same level of serious as LoTR. There was a few pretty lighthearted moments though.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Ace6301
It certainly was darker in tone than the book. However it didn't quite reach the same level of serious as LoTR. There was a few pretty lighthearted moments though.

Those moments were dumb on the whole. The part with the trolls made my eyes roll.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="sonicare"]

jim_shorts

Those moments were dumb on the whole. The part with the trolls made my eyes roll.

Meanwhile in the book a talking money purse is what gives Bilbo away. Also there wasn't an action scene.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="SergeantGuy"][QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="SergeantGuy"] I realize that, but what I was trying to say is to have something other than the magical dragon attack the dwarfs kingdom. I know it's harder to do because of the book put it in stone and all, but they could have easily tweeked the tone just a bit. For example, make the dragon more demonic like some of the beasts that the eye of Sauron (don't know how to spell that, sorry) used in the trilogy. Stuff like that.

Calm down asshat. The thing about the ring and the elves and all that was that it was a dark story, not this "magic dragon sees shiny things!!!!!!" crap that was in this movie. Also, it's been a long time since I've seen the trilogy or read anything LOTR, so I used that "eye of Sauron" thing as an example. And I never said that Sauron should control the dragon in the story. I said that they should take away the "OMG SHINY THINGS!!!!" aspect of the story and make the dragon darker like the various enemies in the trilogy.

Been a while. Right. AKA Lifetime. I didn't realize that the movie revolved around Smaugs lust for gold, but maybe we saw different movies. What's wrong with having a greedy enemy? Because you haven't read the book, I'll tell you, Smaug kills hundreds of people throughout the story. He isn't some childish character. Have patience, and you'll see his wrath. If you take away his gold lust, you'll have to rewrite history, because he wouldn't have attacked Erebor, and then the dwarves never would have left, and the ring never had to come to Bilbo or Frodo, negating LoTR. So really, just no, bro.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

Was planning to watch The Hobbit : an Unexpected Journey from December 2012, today managed to watch it in 3D finally. omg, it was sooo boring lol. Visuals, camera work were great maybe its best 3D movie i seen yet , but pace of the movie was very slow. plus not enough action. Not even close to any LOTR trilogy epicness.

Maybe Peter Jackson has great plans for the upcoming Trilogy but The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey dissapointed me highly. Maybe Gangster Squad will live upto its hype.

Who else got dissapointed with The Hobbit?

indzman
I found the movie boring because there seemed to be way too much action that added nothing to the plot.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#75 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

I thought it was brilliant. Some parts were off, but otherwise the best film last year.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#76 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts

[QUOTE="SergeantGuy"][QUOTE="worlock77"] You think they should have changed the entire point of the story's plot? Without the dragon there is no quest there, thus Bilbo never leaves the Shire (consequently this would f*ck the story of 'the Lord of the Rings' as well).Baranga

I feel like the Silmarillion would be ten times more epic than LotR. The Music of Ainur and the disharmony of Melkor, if done properly, would be a total nerdgasm. Ungoliant, the Balrogs, the theft of the Silmarils... that would be absolute cinema gold. Again, if done properly.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="SergeantGuy"] I realize that, but what I was trying to say is to have something other than the magical dragon attack the dwarfs kingdom. I know it's harder to do because of the book put it in stone and all, but they could have easily tweeked the tone just a bit. For example, make the dragon more demonic like some of the beasts that the eye of Sauron (don't know how to spell that, sorry) used in the trilogy. Stuff like that.-Tish-

I feel like the Silmarillion would be ten times more epic than LotR. The Music of Ainur and the disharmony of Melkor, if done properly, would be a total nerdgasm. Ungoliant, the Balrogs, the theft of the Silmarils... that would be absolute cinema gold. Again, if done properly.

I don't think it's commercially feasible for it to be done properly though.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="-Tish-"][QUOTE="Baranga"]

Laihendi

I'm siding with Lai. They'd have to gut and neuter the Silmarillion to be able to do it in a movie or two. And a miniseries wouldn't have the budget or support to be done properly. I think we should let the Silmarillion be.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="indzman"]

Was planning to watch The Hobbit : an Unexpected Journey from December 2012, today managed to watch it in 3D finally. omg, it was sooo boring lol. Visuals, camera work were great maybe its best 3D movie i seen yet , but pace of the movie was very slow. plus not enough action. Not even close to any LOTR trilogy epicness.

Maybe Peter Jackson has great plans for the upcoming Trilogy but The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey dissapointed me highly. Maybe Gangster Squad will live upto its hype.

Laihendi
I found the movie boring because there seemed to be way too much action that added nothing to the plot.

Yeah, you're right. All that Helms Deep action stuff? Pointless. We don't need to see Aragorn and Legolas killing all those orcs, it adds nothing to the plot. Battle of Pelennor Fields? More like that battle where a couple men and orcs died! We don't want that action! /endsarcasm You're upset because it isn't LOTR. I think it's on par with LoTR, but a story of a much smaller scale.
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#80 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="-Tish-"]I feel like the Silmarillion would be ten times more epic than LotR. The Music of Ainur and the disharmony of Melkor, if done properly, would be a total nerdgasm. Ungoliant, the Balrogs, the theft of the Silmarils... that would be absolute cinema gold. Again, if done properly. brucewayne69

I'm siding with Lai. They'd have to gut and neuter the Silmarillion to be able to do it in a movie or two. And a miniseries wouldn't have the budget or support to be done properly. I think we should let the Silmarillion be.

Fvck. You're probably right though.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="indzman"]

brucewayne69

Yeah, you're right. All that Helms Deep action stuff? Pointless. We don't need to see Aragorn and Legolas killing all those orcs, it adds nothing to the plot. Battle of Pelennor Fields? More like that battle where a couple men and orcs died! We don't want that action! /endsarcasm You're upset because it isn't LOTR. I think it's on par with LoTR, but a story of a much smaller scale.

I was saying much of the action in An Unexpected Journey was boring because it added nothing to the plot. I was not talking about LOTR.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] I found the movie boring because there seemed to be way too much action that added nothing to the plot.

I was saying much of the action in An Unexpected Journey was boring because it added nothing to the plot. I was not talking about LOTR.

Don't cherry pick, you love LoTR, but you don't like the same exact stuff in Hobbit. Why? Because you were determined to hate it.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Baranga

I was saying much of the action in An Unexpected Journey was boring because it added nothing to the plot. I was not talking about LOTR.Laihendi

Art is not supposed to be efficient.

Here's something that bugs me. I want movies to be more than just a support for another art form. A movie can be all about images and movement. Action and photography. That is the essence of this art from. I actually find it sad that some people care only about meaning and want moving pictures to be nothing but a vessel for story. Why do they insist on using movies as a support for another art form? I appreciate movies as a visceral experience more than as an intellectual experience.

As far as I'm concerned Peter Jackson can make each movie 10 hours long and full of landscape shots and action scenes pulled out of his ass. In glorious HFR.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I was saying much of the action in An Unexpected Journey was boring because it added nothing to the plot. I was not talking about LOTR.Baranga

Here's something that bugs me. I want movies to be more than just a support for another art form. A movie can be all about images and movement. Action and photography. That is the essence of this art from. I actually find it sad that some people care only about meaning and want moving pictures to be nothing but a vessel for story. Why do they insist on using movies as a support for another art form? I appreciate movies as a visceral experience more than as an intellectual experience.

As far as I'm concerned Peter Jackson can make each movie 10 hours long and full of landscape shots and action scenes pulled out of his ass. In glorious HFR.

There was that one shot of them traveling through the mountains while the Misty Mountains instrumental played. Was epic as f*ck. Did it add anything to the story? No. Was it beautiful? Yeah it was, I sure as hell wouldn't remove it. Largely unrelated but mentioning the music reminded me of an issue I had with it. [spoiler] When Thorin goes to fight Azog the Ring Wraith theme from LoTR starts playing. I mean yeah it's epic but given how the series usually makes excellent, excellent use of musical themes it felt really out of place to me. If this is going to be a rivalry we're going to be seeing in multiple films it should have it's own theme rather than borrowing a theme. Again it wouldn't bother me if the rest of the musical themes weren't expertly used [/spoiler]
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
It was enjoyable but had way too much Deus Ex Machina for my tastes. A lot of doubting Bilbo´s character too. Almost felt like the movie repeated itself over and over.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I was saying much of the action in An Unexpected Journey was boring because it added nothing to the plot. I was not talking about LOTR.Baranga

Storytelling is an art. Pointless action scenes that detract from the story are not art. Those are nothing more than an effort to pander to action-craving masses for the sake of increased commercial success. @Bruce - Helps Deep and the Pelennor Fields are extremely important to the plot of LOTR so what you are saying makes no sense.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Baranga

Storytelling is an art. Pointless action scenes that detract from the story are not art. Those are nothing more than an effort to pander to action-craving masses for the sake of increased commercial success. Laihendi

They are visual art.

Largely unrelated but mentioning the music reminded me of an issue I had with it. [spoiler] When Thorin goes to fight Azog the Ring Wraith theme from LoTR starts playing. I mean yeah it's epic but given how the series usually makes excellent, excellent use of musical themes it felt really out of place to me. If this is going to be a rivalry we're going to be seeing in multiple films it should have it's own theme rather than borrowing a theme. Again it wouldn't bother me if the rest of the musical themes weren't expertly used [/spoiler] Ace6301

It was confirmed that there is a reason for using that cue in that moment.

I'm sure [spoiler] there's a connection between the supposed-to-be-dead Azog and the Necromancer. [/spoiler]

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#88 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I read The Hobbit years ago so I knew it wasn't going to be as epic as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. That being said I felt it was still a good movie and I can't wait until the next one.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I was saying much of the action in An Unexpected Journey was boring because it added nothing to the plot. I was not talking about LOTR.Laihendi

Storytelling is an art. Pointless action scenes that detract from the story are not art. Those are nothing more than an effort to pander to action-craving masses for the sake of increased commercial success. @Bruce - Helps Deep and the Pelennor Fields are extremely important to the plot of LOTR so what you are saying makes no sense.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that by your logic, they shouldn't have fleshed them out so much. Helms Deep was two pages in the books, an hour in the movie. By your logic, there should have been a couple orcs dying, probably about 10 minutes total.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
I loved it. Did you really go into it thinking it would be loaded with action?
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I was saying much of the action in An Unexpected Journey was boring because it added nothing to the plot. I was not talking about LOTR.Laihendi

Right, which is why you're directing movies for a living.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Baranga"]

chrisrooR

So because I'm not a professional director I am incapable of recognizing flaws in a movie? Nope that doesn't make any sense at all. @ Bruce - If you will open your copy of The Two Towers, you will see that chapter 7 of book 3 is entitled "Helm's Deep", and that the entire chapter is devoted to depicting that battle. That is 27 pages devoted to depicting that battle, not 2. Again, you are just making stuff up.
BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
It was a good movie, not great though.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Storytelling is an art. Pointless action scenes that detract from the story are not art. Those are nothing more than an effort to pander to action-craving masses for the sake of increased commercial success. @Bruce - Helps Deep and the Pelennor Fields are extremely important to the plot of LOTR so what you are saying makes no sense.

So because I'm not a professional director I am incapable of recognizing flaws in a movie? Nope that doesn't make any sense at all. @ Bruce - If you will open your copy of The Two Towers, you will see that chapter 7 of book 3 is entitled "Helm's Deep", and that the entire chapter is devoted to depicting that battle. That is 27 pages devoted to depicting that battle, not 2. Again, you are just making stuff up.

Ratio wise the movie heavily favored the battle.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#95 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Eh I didn't have expections of this being up there LOTR Trilogy considering how more simple and light hearted the the Hobbit was, through I still iffy about it being its own trilogy.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts
[QUOTE="indzman"]

Laihendi

Not enough Elijah Wood for you huh?
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19601 Posts

It would have been vastly better had they just stuck to the plot of The Hobbit.
The 'stuff from the appendices'/LotR-reference sections did not fit the film in any way - they killed the pacing, screwed with the tone, and heavily detracted from Bilbo's story. Which is a shame, since the bits featuring Bilbo or the dwarves were actually quite entertaining.

Also, I strongly disliked how the film had about six intros.
Peter Jackson clearly couldn't decide whether to start with a historical battle, a flashback, a flashforward, a link to Lord of the Rings, or the actual start of the book...so he just went with 'all of the above'. It was sloppy as hell, and made the film simply drag on (ha!) and on for the first half-hour.

Anyway, I got to the end of it thinking that they could have easily cut the worst hour out of the film without losing anything from the central story, then slapped an hour on the end, finishing the entire book in one film.

*edit* Come to think of it, I probably enjoyed the film more than I did the LotR films. But the bits that tried to remind me of the LotR films were by far the worst bits.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#98 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I haven' seen it yet.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
I thought it was pretty awesome. Sucks for you if you wasted your money
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

I think the film is suffering from Fanboys claiming it to be a masterpiece which it isnt, and people trying to put it down more so that what it is. I think the film was OK. It had pacing issues, the start was to slow, the middle was fine but it was so long winded at the end, everyone in the cinema was releaved that it was over.

The effects were great but the opening part (I watched it in 2D) was very fuzzy and blurry picture wise. I am assuming that to make it look awesome in 3D the 2D counterpart has to suffer with imense blurring.

So yeah, in my opinion is was a good film but not great. A bit like the Dark Knight Rises, its still a good film, but there are parts of it that you wish were not there. I can't see this being a better series than LOTR, for me the main group of dwarfs lack the contrasting nature and humour of the original 3.