The hardest type of programming language?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

WHat is is? C++, BASIC, etc?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Define "hard". Hard to understand? Hard to program with? Hard to make a large application with? Also, you've listed two programming languages; those aren't types of programming; "types" would be object-oriented, procedural, functional...

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Define "hard". Hard to understand? Hard to program with? Hard to make a large application with? Also, you've listed two programming languages; those aren't types of programming; "types" would be object-oriented, procedural, functional...

GabuEx

spaghetti-coding

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

flazzle

spaghetti-coding

No, I don't think spaghetti code counts as a legitimate type of programming language. :P

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

WHat is is? C++, BASIC, etc?

pero2008

Something that requires precise syntax may not be your cup of tea.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pero2008
Ok. I have to take a BASIC Programming class next semester and am wondering if it is going to be diffucult
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Functional languages are the hardest. Scheme, ML... good freaken luck learning those.

Vladimerelenin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Vladimerelenin
Member since 2010 • 103 Posts

Binary

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Seems it would have to be machine language and to a much lesser extent, assembly, just for the tedium and repetitive nature of the code. If we are limiting ourselves to 3GLs, then I'd pick procedural as the hardest to develop in, and functional the hardest to read and debug, with the caveat that some of the most difficult code to debug has come from teams without experience in constructing clean class hierarchies developing in OO languages that allow for multiple inheritence.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Seems it would have to be machine language and to a much lesser extent, assembly, just for the tedium and repetitive nature of the code. If we are limiting ourselves to 3GLs, then I'd pick procedural as the hardest to develop in, and functional the hardest to read and debug, with the caveat that some of the most difficult code to debug has come from teams without experience in constructing clean class hierarchies developing in OO languages that allow for multiple inheritence.

m0zart

To be honest, I understood machine language and assembly far better than I ever understood functional languages. There is safety in repetition. Assembly is much more easy to undertand if you think in terms of steps.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

To be honest, I understood machine language and assembly far better than I ever understood functional languages. There is safety in repetition. Assembly is much more easy to undertand if you think in terms of steps.

Wasdie

Well I tend to agree with you that assembly in particular is not that big of a deal. I've always loved working in Assembly. But I couldn't responsibly call it the easiest language vs. just about any 3GL, not just due to repetition but also that it varies so completely from architecture to architecture.

I have no practical reason to develop in any purely functional language -- I've never seen a demand for it in any field I was interested in. I have spent some hobby time on it though and I haven't had much of an issue with writing code. It's always reading someone else's code that proves a challenge. It's not impossible, but it takes an enormous amount of time to parse the logic.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx

Ok. I have to take a BASIC Programming class next semester and am wondering if it is going to be diffucultpero2008

That would entirely depend on what you find difficult. :P

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 flazzle

Personally, I loved Assembly and it wasn't that hard because you had TOTAL control, though lengthy as hell.

I programmed in Pascal, Modula-2, COBOL, VB, Java, Javascript, Perl, ADA, C/C++.

I found C most challenging, mostly because of pointers and syntax, and then taking it to the next level of C++ with Object Oriented. Once you master C/C++, I believe a programmer could master any language.

I never did anything in FORTRAN or LISP. Those are quite different.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 flazzle

[QUOTE="pero2008"]Ok. I have to take a BASIC Programming class next semester and am wondering if it is going to be difficultGabuEx

There is much truth to that.

You may find one thing easier and other harder depending on how you think!

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
Ok. I have to take a BASIC Programming class next semester and am wondering if it is going to be diffucultpero2008
BASIC is really easy. The only problem with it is that it's too basic to do more advanced things easily or with a small amount of code - but you probably won't be required to do anything like that in a BASIC class anyway.
Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts

i would say vhdl

after learning c others like c++, java, visual tend to be simpler to understand. assembly ain't that hard

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I only know C so far :P I'm currently learning Java which I keep hearing is easier than C. So I don't know.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
I only know C so far :P I'm currently learning Java which I keep hearing is easier than C. So I don't know. mrmusicman247
I like Java, although working with swing is a pain in the butt. I greatly prefer the twips' x/y coordinate system.
1che3zeman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 1che3zeman1
Member since 2010 • 347 Posts

BASIC is extremely easy to learn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Machine code, obviously.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#21 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Haven't taken BASIC, but I'm in C++ currently and have in the past taken Assembly and Java. If anything, I think Java is a good language to start off with. It isn't difficult to understand, and you can jump in and start making simple programs with ease. Assembly is not as easy as you can't really jump in and start making a working product without understanding registers and commands and such.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pero2008

Which minor will help my MIS degree or which minor will involve the most programming language classes?

Computer Databases

Computer Networks

Computer Science

Electronic Commerce Technologies

Information Systems Programming

Integrated Technologies

Multimedia and Web Design

Object-Oriented Programming

Web Communications

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl

Which minor will help my MIS degree or which minor will involve the most programming language classes?

Computer Databases

Computer Networks

Computer Science

Integrated Technologies

Web Communications

pero2008
Computer databases is an absolute must, but a lot of MIS programs already include some DB classes - see if yours does. I'm a big fan of Information Systems programming - this usually involves a mix of RAD development and database classes. Computer Science and Object Oriented Programming are good general purpose choices as well.

What exactly do you want to do?
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

I'm learning C as part of my degree and it hasn't been too hard so far.

maryal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 maryal
Member since 2004 • 193 Posts

All of them! LOL!

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

All of them! LOL!

maryal
:lol: came in the thread to say this.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zyrokin
Member since 2010 • 1756 Posts

Personally, I loved Assembly and it wasn't that hard because you had TOTAL control, though lengthy as hell.

I programmed in Pascal, Modula-2, COBOL, VB, Java, Javascript, Perl, ADA, C/C++.

I found C most challenging, mostly because of pointers and syntax, and then taking it to the next level of C++ with Object Oriented. Once you master C/C++, I believe a programmer could master any language.

I never did anything in FORTRAN or LISP. Those are quite different.

flazzle

Crazy, I thought C/C++ were far easier than Java. Oddly enough I found C# simple even though it is very similar to Java. No idea why, but Java just rubs me the wrong way.

I would Say Assembly and Machine language would be the most difficult to use and apply to a large scale application. Although, the small portions are very simple to understand.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Binary, or anything on a set of unmakred punchmarks that have been dropped down some stairs
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Computer Databases

Computer Networks

Computer Science

Integrated Technologies

Web Communications

pero2008
Depends what they actually include, the titles says pretty much nothing. Web Design may include servelets, applets and ASP which would completely overlay OO programming or it could include more of the business design and overlap E-Commerce and business.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zyrokin

Computer Databases

Computer Networks

Computer Science

Integrated Technologies

Web Communications

pero2008

Dude, how many times have you asked this question? Just choose something or ask someone at your university.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Generally speaking the lower level the language is the more tedious/mistake prone that language will be. Binary, being the lowest level you can get.

For the TC if your taking Basic/C++ this semester there is nothing to worry about, both are relatively simple to grasp.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zyrokin

Generally speaking the lower level the language is the more tedious/mistake prone that language will be. Binary, being the lowest level you can get.

For the TC if your taking Basic/C++ this semester there is nothing to worry about, both are relatively simple to grasp.Diablo-B

They are all decently easy once you learn one.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

Binary

Vladimerelenin
the only right answer. admittely adding in binary isnt too tough once you realize adding in binary is the same as adding normal numbers and hex.
SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts

[QUOTE="pero2008"]Ok. I have to take a BASIC Programming class next semester and am wondering if it is going to be diffucultGabuEx

yeah.. I took a Intro to Programming class that was focused on VB and I got an A in it.. But some people I know found it really hard.. It also depends if you have an interest in it.