The Future of Humanity: Genetic Engineering and Cloning?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

Do you think genetic engineering and cloning will replace normal sexual reproduction? What effect do you think these two sciences will have produced on Humanity?

My opinion:

In the long run, normal sexual reproduction will be become a rare practice, as the uncertainty it involves will make it less desirable than genetic engineering or cloning, both of which will allow parents to know exactly how their children will appear and behave. Eventually, an elite class of genetically engineered humans will arise and ultimately replace normal human beings. They will all be tall (at least 6'4"), attractive, fit, and extremely intelligent (think of Albert Einstein).

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Please stop with this OVER THE HEAD / SERIOUS TYPE threads and start making old BRHD style funny threads =P

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Emil_Fontz

@indzman said:

Please stop with this OVER THE HEAD / SERIOUS TYPE threads and start making old BRHD style funny threads =P

When BRHD comes back, you'll get BRHD styled threads.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@emil_fontz said:

@indzman said:

When BRHD comes back, you'll get BRHD styled threads.

I miss BRHD sooo much, we all do :(

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Flagged for spam

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

didn't watch the video but i'll respond. yes i do think humans will take more control over their procreation as ge technologies get better. but i don't think we'll end up with an entire planet of super-people. even highly among the highly engineered population we'll end up with unhealty, unproductive folks. one's own experience still shapes who they are, outside of genetics.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emil_Fontz

@comp_atkins said:

didn't watch the video but i'll respond. yes i do think humans will take more control over their procreation as ge technologies get better. but i don't think we'll end up with an entire planet of super-people. even highly among the highly engineered population we'll end up with unhealty, unproductive folks. one's own experience still shapes who they are, outside of genetics.

Don't you think that a class of Humans with baseline IQs of 200 would look down on the rest of Humanity and at the very least segregate themselves?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 comp_atkins

@emil_fontz said:

@comp_atkins said:

Don't you think that a class of Humans with baseline IQs of 200 would look down on the rest of Humanity and at the very least segregate themselves?

engineer them with an overdeveloped sense of compassion then

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Emil_Fontz

@magicalclick said:

@emil_fontz:

You mean those geeks will try to segregate themselves or they just try not get bullied?

No. Imagine an elite class of Humans: All seven feet tall, extremely fit, extremely intelligent, immune to all diseases that can infect ordinary Humans, and able to live twice as long as ordinary Humans. I think such Humans would naturally come to look down on ordinary Humans and would separate themselves from us.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@emil_fontz said:

@magicalclick said:

@emil_fontz:

You mean those geeks will try to segregate themselves or they just try not get bullied?

No. Imagine an elite class of Humans: All seven feet tall, extremely fit, extremely intelligent, immune to all diseases that can infect ordinary Humans, and able to live twice as long as ordinary Humans. I think such Humans would naturally come to look down on ordinary Humans and would separate themselves from us.

Uh, you do realize that they'd be banging ordinary humans and interbreeding with them, right? That is, unless you're proposing that these genetic supermen have been engineered to not like sex.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Emil_Fontz

@MrGeezer said:

@emil_fontz said:

@magicalclick said:

@emil_fontz:

Uh, you do realize that they'd be banging ordinary humans and interbreeding with them, right? That is, unless you're proposing that these genetic supermen have been engineered to not like sex.

People are very selective with whom they have children. These elite humans would be the best employed, working in intellectual fields such as engineering, medicine, and computer programming. As people are more likely to breed with people in their class, the odds of them breeding with ordinary Humans would be slim since they'd be non-existent in these fields at that point in time.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@emil_fontz said:

People are very selective with whom they have children. These elite humans would be the best employed, working in intellectual fields such as engineering, medicine, and computer programming. As people are more likely to breed with people in their class, the odds of them breeding with ordinary Humans would be slim since they'd be non-existent in these fields at that point in time.

For starters, unless you're suggesting that millions of rich people all get genetically superior children all at once, then there will be no superior class at the start. You'd get a few early adopters who have nowhere to fit in without blending in with the normals. This means going to school with the normals, going to work with the normals, and getting romantically involved with the normals. By the time there are even enough genetically superior supermen for them to become a separate class, there'd already be established a culture of them fitting in with everyone else.

Secondly, how often has it ever been the case that people just stick to their own kind? People still marry between races and religions, poor people are still banging the rich, good looking people are still banging the ugly, the thin are still banging the fat. Hell, even when there was a "slave class", masters still couldn't keep themselves from boning their slaves. And as long as the supermen are mixing with the normals, then you're not gonna have a clear superior class and a normal class. Traits are going to be on a continuum, spread out among both the "normals" and the people who are wealthy enough to get genetically engineered kids.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emil_Fontz

@magicalclick said:

@emil_fontz:

Problem is, gay community is popular with bears right now. Those FIT elites will feel depressed for getting no attentions.

Also if they have good memories and unable to forget all the sad memories. This is going to hurt them more.

LMAO.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 comp_atkins

@emil_fontz said:

@magicalclick said:

@emil_fontz:

they'd have to look down on ords. they're 7 friggin feet tall.

so we're going to engineer people who will not comfortably fit in the world that has been developed over thousands of years to fit people not 7 feet tall? no wonder they're going to be pissed at their creators...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

If we do, then good. Atleast if we engineered such offspring yhey might correct some of the fuckups the rest of us have done, and very likely manage a country or nation better then the sub par leaders we have today.