Terry Jones banned from UK

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/20/pastor-terry-jones-banned-uk

Views on this?

I'm glad to be honest. I thought the whole 'Burn a Koran' thing seemed like he just wanted to antagonise people.

"We are not against Muslims, we are not against Islam. We welcome Muslims and have only spoken out against the radical element of Islam."

^ He may say this now, but then why would he want to burn their book to fight radical elements, when what he was proposing could also be termed as radical.

Sucks that he can't see his daughter over here, but yeah I don't think his arrival would be productive in the least.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
good. there should be consequences to his actions and he should know this and learn from it
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts

Probably for his own safety, as the Muslims-per-capita figure is much higher there than in the USA.

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Really? You're going to ban someone from your country because they wanted to burn some f***ing books? I don't think book burning is "extremism." Certainly I disagree with the book burning, but he has a right to free speech and I think free speech should include book burning. UK government is not justified in banning him in my eyes, the move seems petty at best.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ravensmash
Really? You're going to ban someone from your country because they wanted to burn some f***ing books? I don't think book burning is "extremism." Certainly I disagree with the book burning, but he has a right to free speech and I think free speech should include book burning. UK government is not justified in banning him in my eyes, the move seems petty at best.bededog
They probably want to prevent any tension arising, and having such a figure come into the country (which would have been reported heavily in the media) would not help any of that. I lived near that guy who got banned from the USA for emailing Obama a rude message - surely that's the same thing (although I think that was a bit extreme). Governments want to keep people out who seem like troublemakers.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

at first i was all "omg! why??? terry jones is my favorite python!!!"

then i was all "oh.... crazy religious kook hates other crazy religious kooks...how typical"

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

The relationship between the Muslim and non-Muslim contingent in the UK is a little volatile, accentuated by a population fairly frustrated at the austerity measures implemented by the conservative government. I think his arrival would only serve to antagonise further, which to be honest the country doesn't need at the moment. It's a difficult one mind you as freedom of speech is a strongly held right in the UK, but, if his presence is deemed only to hinder not help building of relations, then theres reasonable grounds to justify his exclusion..................... I guess.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Really? You're going to ban someone from your country because they wanted to burn some f***ing books? I don't think book burning is "extremism." Certainly I disagree with the book burning, but he has a right to free speech and I think free speech should include book burning. UK government is not justified in banning him in my eyes, the move seems petty at best.bededog
The UK government does not want extremists in its country causing dissent. As such, they ban them, regardless of their religion or political views. It's perfectly reasonable honestly, he's not a citizen, so they don't have to extend him any hospitality.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Erm he has that right in the US. Not really in the UK. The UK doesn't need to follow the US constitution.

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Big_Red-
Member since 2006 • 7230 Posts
I wish America would ban some people from entrance.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bededog
The UK government does not want extremists in its country causing dissent. As such, they ban them, regardless of their religion or political views. It's perfectly reasonable honestly, he's not a citizen, so they don't have to extend him any hospitality.Danm_999
I'm not arguing that the shouldn't ban extremists, I'm saying Jones shouldn't be considered an extremist. All the media attention he has gotten is unwarranted, who cares if he wants to burn a book. Burning of books doesn't hurt anyone. I think the media and the UK government are overacting.

Erm he has that right in the US. Not really in the UK. The UK doesn't need to follow the US constitution.

Pixel-Pirate
I never said that, I never mention laws of any kind. I just don't think book burning should be considered extremism.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ravensmash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_individuals_banned_from_entering_the_United_Kingdom

Lol at some of this list, gutted Chris Brown. I presume someone has put Obama on there as a joke right? I might do my first wiki edit.

__Chris__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 __Chris__
Member since 2006 • 535 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]The UK government does not want extremists in its country causing dissent. As such, they ban them, regardless of their religion or political views. It's perfectly reasonable honestly, he's not a citizen, so they don't have to extend him any hospitality.bededog
I'm not arguing that the shouldn't ban extremists, I'm saying Jones shouldn't be considered an extremist. All the media attention he has gotten is unwarranted, who cares if he wants to burn a book. Burning of books doesn't hurt anyone. I think the media and the UK government are overacting.

Pixel-Pirate

I never said that, I never mention laws of any kind. I just don't think book burning should be considered extremism.

Minus that book burning.

idk_lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 idk_lol
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I believe that burning books is terrible. If the man in question is looking to cause a disturbance then the country he's looking to enter has every right to ban him from entering. It will help set forth a precedent that people need to be respectful when visiting their country.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Danm_999
I wish America would ban some people from entrance.-Big_Red-
It's called the No Fly List.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Big_Red-
Member since 2006 • 7230 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_individuals_banned_from_entering_the_United_Kingdom

Lol at some of this list, gutted Chris Brown. I presume someone has put Obama on there as a joke right? I might do my first wiki edit.

Ravensmash
I can't believe that Chris Brown is on that list. What he did was wrong, yes. But if you look at it without double standards, you'll see that he snapped. He's not a woman beater.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Danm_999
I'm not arguing that the shouldn't ban extremists, I'm saying Jones shouldn't be considered an extremist. All the media attention he has gotten is unwarranted, who cares if he wants to burn a book. Burning of books doesn't hurt anyone. I think the media and the UK government are overacting. bededog
Surely you're not so naive as to not understand the symbolism of what he's doing. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, but I view him as a Christian extremist.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bededog

Minus that book burning.

__Chris__
The Nazis campaign of burning books cannot be compared to one individual burning books. [QUOTE="Danm_999"] Surely you're not so naive as to not understand the symbolism of what he's doing. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, but I view him as a Christian extremist.

Of course I realize the symbolism of what he is doing, I still think that is okay.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Danm_999

The Nazis campaign of burning books cannot be compared to one individual burning books.bededog
Not in scale, but surely in intent. Both Terry Jones and the Nazis wanted to intimidate those outside their belief system by symbolically destroying what they stood for.

__Chris__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 __Chris__
Member since 2006 • 535 Posts

[QUOTE="__Chris__"]

Minus that book burning.

bededog

The Nazis campaign of burning books cannot be compared to one individual burning books.

I was semi joking

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 poptart

I believe that burning books is terrible. If the man in question is looking to cause a disturbance then the country he's looking to enter has every right to ban him from entering. It will help set forth a precedent that people need to be respectful when visiting their country.idk_lol

Burning books is fine. Some citizens in the US stepped way over the line when they blew up a mountain of disco records in the 70s. I think all the attendees of that event were banned from the UK as well in fear of antagonizing our disco loving nation.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"]

-Big_Red-
I can't believe that Chris Brown is on that list. What he did was wrong, yes. But if you look at it without double standards, you'll see that he snapped. He's not a woman beater.

I think that was one time though judging from the category. It's the same elsewhere though, I believe it's very hard to get into the US if you have something minor under UK law like cannabis possession.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Danm_999
[QUOTE="bededog"] Of course I realize the symbolism of what he is doing, I still think that is okay.

You think it's ok he calls the Koran "of the devil"?
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ I've never heard of him before. ▲

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bededog

Not in scale, but surely in intent. Both Terry Jones and the Nazis wanted to intimidate those outside their belief system by symbolically destroying what they stood for.

Danm_999
I wasn't referring to scale, I was referring to rights. The individual person has the right to express their opinion, even if that is expressed through book burning. Governments don't(or shouldn't) have the right to such censorship of opposing ideas.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ravensmash

[QUOTE="idk_lol"]I believe that burning books is terrible. If the man in question is looking to cause a disturbance then the country he's looking to enter has every right to ban him from entering. It will help set forth a precedent that people need to be respectful when visiting their country.poptart

Burning books is fine. Some citizens in the US stepped way over the line when they blew up a mountain of disco records in the 70s. I think all the attendees of that event were banned from the UK as well in fear of antagonizing our disco loving nation.

How dare they :(
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Loco_Live

[QUOTE="bededog"] Of course I realize the symbolism of what he is doing, I still think that is okay. Danm_999

▲...He can say what he wants. Freedom of speech, eh? People in the middle east call westerners devil all the time. So what. ▲

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

bededog
I wasn't referring to scale, I was referring to rights. The individual person has the right to express their opinion, even if that is expressed through book burning. Governments don't(or shouldn't) have the right to such censorship of opposing ideas.

That's a completely different issue though. Terry Jones has the right to his views, and to disseminate them, yes. Neither the USA or the UK has tried or desires to censor him. He does not, however, have the right to be welcomed into any country he is not a citizen of though, especially if he's considered a security risk (whether that is by his own actions, or the actions of others his presence is likely to create). It is not petty for a people's to say to a hatemongerer your presence is not welcome in our nation.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 poptart

[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"]

Ravensmash

I think that was one time though judging from the category. It's the same elsewhere though, I believe it's very hard to get into the US if you have something minor under UK law like cannabis possession.

I think the US are highly stringent with whom they do and don't allow in - any kind of criminal record then you'll find it very tough...

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="bededog"] Of course I realize the symbolism of what he is doing, I still think that is okay. Loco_Live

▲...He can say what he wants. Freedom of speech, eh? People in the middle east call westerners devil all the time. So what. ▲

Of course he can. But again, that's not the issue here. He has no right to be welcomed into the UK.
idk_lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 idk_lol

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="bededog"] Of course I realize the symbolism of what he is doing, I still think that is okay. Loco_Live

If entering the country is just going to cause problems is it really a bad thing for them to take preventive measures to ensure it doesn't happen?
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ravensmash

Would you be happy with a preacher who did that coming into your country to speak at an event like that?
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Loco_Live

[QUOTE="Loco_Live"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] You think it's ok he calls the Koran "of the devil"?Ravensmash

Would you be happy with a preacher who did that coming into your country to speak at an event like that?

▲ Doesn't bother me. I'm not religous. I don't let other people bother me. And I enjoy my time and surround myself with people that are generally cool. U all just easily irritated. Chillax. ▲

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="Loco_Live"]

Loco_Live

▲ Doesn't bother me. I'm not religous. I don't let other people bother me. And I enjoy my time and surround myself with people that are generally cool. U all just easily irritated. Chillax. ▲

Extremists aren't likely to reciprocate your live and let live philosophy.
Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Loco_Live

[QUOTE="Loco_Live"]

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Would you be happy with a preacher who did that coming into your country to speak at an event like that?Danm_999

Extremists aren't likely to reciprocate your live and let live philosophy.

▲ If I met somebody who was directly trying to take away my freedoms/ set me to slavery, I would pick up arms. But I don't even know what we're talking about. I'm just talking. ▲

LordXelNaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LordXelNaga
Member since 2005 • 1161 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I thought it was Terry Jones from Monty Python who was banned from the UK. Struck me as particularly odd but now I see that it was merely that stupid American.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
Bit extreme isn't it?
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]The UK government does not want extremists in its country causing dissent. As such, they ban them, regardless of their religion or political views. It's perfectly reasonable honestly, he's not a citizen, so they don't have to extend him any hospitality.bededog

Pixel-Pirate

You said he has the right to free speech an that includes book burning. What does his rights matter at all? The rights granted to him by the US constitution sorta expire once you leave the US.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58441 Posts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/20/pastor-terry-jones-banned-uk

Views on this?

I'm glad to be honest. I thought the whole 'Burn a Koran' thing seemed like he just wanted to antagonise people.

"We are not against Muslims, we are not against Islam. We welcome Muslims and have only spoken out against the radical element of Islam."

^ He may say this now, but then why would he want to burn their book to fight radical elements, when what he was proposing could also be termed as radical.

Sucks that he can't see his daughter over here, but yeah I don't think his arrival would be productive in the least.

Ravensmash

yeah, I agree.

Radicals dont use the Quran, they abuse it as worse as one who burns it abuses it.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 poptart

Bit extreme isn't it?LJS9502_basic

Burning the Qur'an is just the beginning - he'll be eating our children next.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
good i guess
idk_lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 idk_lol

[QUOTE="idk_lol"]I believe that burning books is terrible. If the man in question is looking to cause a disturbance then the country he's looking to enter has every right to ban him from entering. It will help set forth a precedent that people need to be respectful when visiting their country.poptart

But boogie woogie elmo doll lives on. :)
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Can't say I'm going to get all in a tizzy over "inalienable rights" for this berk. They did the right thing.
Bashers79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bashers79
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Good! none of us wanted the ex-Hilter youth, kiddy fiddling Pope over here. Why would we wantsome American religious nut job?

Avatar image for BlindBluMonstah
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BlindBluMonstah
Member since 2009 • 13858 Posts

Glad to hear that :'P

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

Hmm I was thinking Terry Jones of Monty Python...

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

i dont think he should be banned if his only intention was to visit his daughter

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

bededog

Why do people seem to think that having the right to free speech also means having a right to be free from consequences of speech?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
He's a major douche captain, but i really hate how little regard people in the UK seem to have for their own freedom. There's constant calls for people to be deported or banned from appearing on TV or locked up if people dont like what they're saying. It's like people are demanding authoritarianism. There's no need to ban this man from the UK.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

What he did is no different from making terrorist threats. I'm glad I won't be seeing him