Teen Sentenced to Prison

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

A Massachusetts teen sentenced to prison for texting while driving after hitting a truck head on and killing the driver. He was sentenced to two years in prison and lost his license for 15 years after causing the death. He claimed he wasn't texting but records show otherwise.

Do you think he deserved it or was it too harsh a sentence for killing someone by doing something stupid?

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I think it's fair.

Avatar image for PrototypeTheKid
PrototypeTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PrototypeTheKid
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

The driver's family should be sued for buying a **** truck.

And yes i Think it's fair, but I've been texting while driving since 2006. Not one accident.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

He should have gotten more than 2 years.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

A Massachusetts teen sentenced to prison for texting while driving after hitting a truck head on and killing the driver. He was sentenced to two years in prison and lost his license for 15 years after causing the death. He claimed he wasn't texting but records show otherwise.

Do you think he deserved it or was it too harsh a sentence for killing someone by doing something stupid?

Two years is a little low but 2 years is still 2 years.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

im usually kinda sympathetic when it comes to teens going to jail and such, as alot of the times, the time doesnt always fit the crime, imo.

but this, texting while driving, id say he deserves all he got, and is lucky he didnt get longer.

texting while driving is serious.

driving takes more concentration than most people think. things can happen within a few seconds, that, if your not paying attention, could change your life completely.

you cant really trust anyone on the road.

PrototypeTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PrototypeTheKid

im usually kinda sympathetic when it comes to teens going to jail and such, as alot of the times, the time doesnt always fit the crime, imo.

but this, texting while driving, id say he deserves all he got, and is lucky he didnt get longer.

driving takes more concentration than most people think. things can happen within a few seconds, that, if your not paying attention, could change your life completely.

konvikt_17
Then don't be a bad driver then. Jesus the internet has turned everyone into a bunch of blithering babies,...scared of EVERYTHING.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

WhiteKnight77

That is by no means too harsh.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I think it's a fair punishment. Maybe a little more than fair.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

He's eighteen (17 at the time of the crash), not some kid, he should be tried as an adult. And that's manslaughter he committed and he's only getting two years in jail? He was being negligent, and I'm sure he didn't want this to happen, but he deserves what he gets.

also the ass-hat pleaded not guilty, why are they ever going to allow him to drive again; I'll never know.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Serves him right.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

PrototypeTheKid

Then don't be a bad driver then.

Agreed, and part of not being a bad driver is having no distractions, like texting, while driving.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

PrototypeTheKid

Then don't be a bad driver then. Jesus the internet has turned everyone into a bunch of blithering babies,...scared of EVERYTHING.

yea because its alright to text and drive, as long as you are a good a good driver:roll:

Fvck off.

PrototypeTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PrototypeTheKid

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"][QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

konvikt_17

yea because its alright to text and drive, as long as you are a good a good driver:roll:

Fvck off.

Yes. Some people with full attention to the road, are still bad drivers. lol I bet you think if you drink one beer your too "drunk" to drive.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"] Then don't be a bad driver then. Jesus the internet has turned everyone into a bunch of blithering babies,...scared of EVERYTHING. PrototypeTheKid

Fvck off.

Yes. Some people with full attention to the road, are still bad drivers. lol I bet you think if you drink one beer your too "drunk" to drive.

which is even more reason to not text and pay attention to the road. you know, becuase there are dumb drivers.

just because you are a good driver, does not mean you wont end up in an accident.

but im guessing you dont have a license and drive regularly, or you would know all this.

and im smart enough to know, if im going to be drinking, i dont drive. i dont trust myself to drive, even under the influence of one beer.

your a dumbass.

PrototypeTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PrototypeTheKid

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"][QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

Fvck off.

konvikt_17

which is even more reason to not text and pay attention to the road. you know, becuase there are dumb drivers.

just because you are a good driver, does not mean you wont end up in an accident.

but im guessing you dont have a license and drive regularly, or you would know all this.

and im smart enough to know, if im going to be drinking, i dont drive. i dont trust myself to drive, even under the influence of one beer.

your a dumbass.

That's because you have zero self-control or ability to even think about believing in yourself.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"] Yes. Some people with full attention to the road, are still bad drivers. lol I bet you think if you drink one beer your too "drunk" to drive. PrototypeTheKid

your a dumbass.

That's because you have zero self-control or ability to even think about believing in yourself.

i have enough control to know that driving while under the influence or even texting while driving is fvcking dumb.

which i guess is a a hard concept for you to grasp.

has norhing to do with believing myself.

i know my limits.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
only 2 years?
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Only 2 years? Seriously? It should be longer since he was at fault.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58344 Posts

i suppose it is fair. I don't know if i agree with jail time for accidental killings not like (even if it is was from being an idiot), but I suppose we have to learn our lessons some way. I just hope he doesn't get messed up in prison. I think county jail might be a better alternative.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#24 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

That's because you have zero self-control or ability to even think about believing in yourself. PrototypeTheKid

Hoo boy, wouldn't it be a much better world if people could just drive drunk and be a-okay just because they believed in themselves:roll:

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 worlock77

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"] Yes. Some people with full attention to the road, are still bad drivers. lol I bet you think if you drink one beer your too "drunk" to drive. PrototypeTheKid

your a dumbass.

Actually it rather sounds like he does have self-control, unlike you.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

your a dumbass.

Texting while driving is more dangerous than drunk driving you blithering idiot. I doubt you would be ok with the roads being filled with drunk drivers.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

I think it's fair.

muller39

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

2 years is fair I hate people that text and drive. People can't even talk on their phone and drive let alone text. I see idiots on the road using them all the time. I dont even own a cell phone and I dont want one. The last thing I want is people calling or texting me when I'm not home. If I'm not home I'm busy so leave me alone. I had a cell phone but got rid of it. I'm not paying $50 a month so people can bug me.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

He should get more, I would say that he murdered him. Driving and trying to text is one of the most idiotic things you can possibly do.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
People have to take responsibility for the crimes they commit against others. That said, I'm sure if two years is too long or too little.
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
Considering he killed the driver he got off easy imo.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Seems reasonable imo. Doing reckless things while driving deserve punishment.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"] Then don't be a bad driver then. Jesus the internet has turned everyone into a bunch of blithering babies,...scared of EVERYTHING. PrototypeTheKid

Fvck off.

I'd say you're an accident waiting to happen

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Considering he killed the driver he got off easy imo.katana_duo
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

only 2 years?JigglyWiggly_

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

He's eighteen (17 at the time of the crash), not some kid, he should be tried as an adult. And that's manslaughter he committed and he's only getting two years in jail? He was being negligent, and I'm sure he didn't want this to happen, but he deserves what he gets.

also the ass-hat pleaded not guilty, why are they ever going to allow him to drive again; I'll never know.

SirWander

Just because someone is 18 doesn't mean they're a fully-grown adult capable of making decisions. Just means they're adults according to the state. Also it doesn't make sense to charge a person as an adult when he committed the crime when he was only 17.

Personally, I hate reading stories like these, when teens are sent to jail but the crime is serious although it was an accident. Perhaps he does deserve the sentence.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts
Well it sets an example and hopefully less people will text and drive now.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Well it sets an example and hopefully less people will text and drive now. horgen123

There are laws already in place that bar people from texting and driving. I doubt setting an example on some teen would convince people otherwise.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Someone needs to be made an example of so the rest of those knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers who think they can do more than one thing at a time will realize the law won't tolerate their behavior. As a pedestrian, I've been almost hit numerous times by people looking down at their crotches who think they are hiding their texting.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[...] the crime is serious although it was an accident. Perhaps he does deserve the sentence.leviathan91
He deserves a greater sentence, as does every person who fatally involves an innocent person in a vehicle collision resulting from irresponsible, distracted and/or impaired driving. It has been proven that texting while driving is MORE DANGEROUS than drunk driving, as the person who is drunk, is at least paying attention to the road in front of them. The biggest joke is that this is somehow an "accident". No, it wasn't. It wasn't pre-meditated, but it surely falls outside the realm of accident. A man DIED as a result of an idiot getting behind the wheel and thinking himself more capable than he really was.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SirWander

Just because someone is 18 doesn't mean they're a fully-grown adult capable of making decisions. Just means they're adults according to the state. Also it doesn't make sense to charge a person as an adult when he committed the crime when he was only 17.

Personally, I hate reading stories like these, when teens are sent to jail but the crime is serious although it was an accident. Perhaps he does deserve the sentence.leviathan91

I know that he was a minor during the time of the crash, which is why I included it in my post.

I was thinking that there could of been some sort of exemption in order for the court to try this guy as an adult. But, legally no, it wouldn't make much sense.

Still, the government should be as strict as possible when such negligent driving causes the death of another person. Especially so when you consider that this person wasn't in any way impaired. He seems to be a normal, functional, young adult. He was also committing a criminal act at the time of the accident (texting while driving is illegal in that state). Texting was the cause of his negligent driving, and that led him to crash into another vehicle. As a result of his foolish decision a person was killed.

What made me lose any sympathy for this idiot was the fact that he pleaded not guilty. He also lied about texting during the time of the accident, phone records prove the contrary. Granted the crash could of affected his memory, and he might not have remembered that he was texting.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts

NVM.

If they can't prove he was texting than that sentence is alright.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SirWander

NVM.

If they can't prove he was texting than that sentence is alright.

pspdseagle

read the article, phone records prove that he was texting around the time of the accident.

phone records indicate Deveau sent a text message at 2:34 p.m. and received a response at 2:35 p.m. Police said the crash occurred at 2:35 p.m. article

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

only 2 years?JigglyWiggly_

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
It's fair. but not fair for a person who got killed.. I get so mad just seeing someone talking on the phone while driving not just texting. just put it down, what's more important?
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

Texting while driving leads to a greater chance of accidents, meaning that idiots who text while driving have a greater chance of killing innocent people on the road. It's illegal for a very good reason, and I'm honestly surprised that he only got 2 years imprisonment.

Dangerous driving causing death has a penalty of up to 10 years here in Victoria. That goes up to 20 years if they can prove that his driving was grossly negligent.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Personally, I hate reading stories like these, when teens are sent to jail but the crime is serious although it was an accident. Perhaps he does deserve the sentence.

leviathan91

Phone records proved he was texting while driving. He willfully broke the law in Massechusetts and caused a crash and not an accident. If something had broke on his car, then yes, it would have been an accident, but he caused a wreck by willfully breaking the law. He deserves more time really, especially after pleading not guilty to it. My guess is that after his release, he will find a way to get behind the wheel of a car and drive even without a driver's license and still text while driving having not learned his lesson by going to jail for a crash and death he caused due to that very reason.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Fair punishment. What a fvcking idiot.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I say that's a good punishment for killing somebody because you were to busy texting instead of driving.

If you're driving, it doesn't matter how old you are, you're 100% responsible for what happens behind the wheel of your car. If you make a mistake that costs somebody else their life, then you should be deserved to be punished to the full extent of the law or whatever a jury/judge decides.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#50 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

I think it's good. He deserves it. I'm sick and tired of people texting while driving. If you want to text so bad then just pull over.