Student sues her Univ. for failing a course (twice).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

DALLAS, Pa. (AP) -- A nursing student who says anxiety and depression made it difficult for her to concentrate has sued a northeastern Pennsylvania university after twice failing a required course.

Jennifer Burbella claims her Misericordia University professor didn't do enough to help her pass a class on adult health patterns. Burbella says the lack of help caused her to break down crying.

For the final exam, the university gave Burbella some accommodations — she was allowed more time to complete the test and could take it in a “distraction-free environment,” according to the suit. Tomkins also offered to allow her to ask questions during the test, the complaint says.

When Burbella asked to take the exam in the same building Tomkins was administering the exam to the other students, she was denied — although another disabled student was given a separate room in the same building, the lawsuit alleges.

After failing the first time, Burbella says the university forced her to re-take the class in a summer session beginning four days later, causing "great trepidation."

The Citizens' Voice reports (http://bit.ly/1QFHxSC) the Stroudsburg woman is seeking more than $75,000 in damages.

Source.

Will she win!?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

maybe the professor could have had more mercy on her (get it?), but if she's having this issues with a class, will she also have them on the job? It seems to me that being a nurse would mean you wouldn't work in a "distraction free environment".

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

A nursing student ..... a person who is going to have people´s health and even lives under her care wanting some special treatment from her teachers to pass her exams, you gotta be fucking kidding me. If she can`t handle the "stress" of a goddam exam how can she handle the real stress of practicing the profession on a daily basis.

The teachers should be congratulated for flunking her.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@raugutcon said:

A nursing student ..... a person who is going to have people´s health and even lives under her care wanting some special treatment from her teachers to pass her exams, you gotta be fucking kidding me. If she can`t handle the "stress" of a goddam exam how can she handle the real stress of practicing the profession on a daily basis.

I completly agree with this.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

this is another example of the entitlement society we live in now.. they think they deserve a trophy for participating. being a lazy idiot isnt a disability

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Dang, people suing for everything these days. I guess i should sue McDonalds for giving out toys with unhealthy meals. Thats the only reasons kids want to go. Lol ..

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Working in the health department and having anxiety seems like a bad mix...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@whipassmt said:

maybe the professor could have had more mercy on her (get it?), but if she's having this issues with a class, will she also have them on the job? It seems to me that being a nurse would mean you wouldn't work in a "distraction free environment".

Bingo.

The school is right down the road from me and quite a few people here think this girl is a moron for blaming others for her shortcomings.

If passing a test is something she is unable to do, how will she react when a doctor is stern with her or family of patients start yelling? Will she start to cry and sue everyone?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

@raugutcon said:

Pretty much this, when people's lives are in her hands she isn't going to be able to ask them for special accommodations...

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

She's going into medicine; people's lives directly depend on how good you are at your job.

If you're failing a class, then you're not qualified for the field period.

More importantly, medicine is a very very high stress environment. You will see people suffer and die. If she's falling apart during what sounds like an easy exam, then she wouldn't be able to handle the field.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
@General_X said:
@raugutcon said:

Pretty much this, when people's lives are in her hands she isn't going to be able to ask them for special accommodations...

Can't she sue the patient!?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Eh you can bring a lawsuit....doesn't mean you'll win.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Someone who's going through depression and anxiety shouldn't be a nurse

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

Lol. Sometimes I really think there should be a license requirement to sue anyone.

aryianna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aryianna
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

It is just another instance of people not taking responsibility for their own actions. Whether it was because she wasn't prepared for the test or whether she wasn't treating her anxiety and depression correctly. Was she seeing a professional for it? Was she medicated? Blaming the instructor for it is out there and it is a shame that time gets wasted in our judicial system on such nonsense.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@loco145 said:

A nursing student who says anxiety and depression made it difficult for her to concentrate has sued a northeastern Pennsylvania university.

Two words, anxiety and depression. She will win this court case because she was denied the provisions that she was entitled to/and or promised.

------------------------

she was allowed more time to complete the test and could take it in a “distraction-free environment,” according to the suit. Tomkins also offered to allow her to ask questions during the test, the complaint says.

When Burbella asked to take the exam in the same building Tomkins was administering the exam to the other students, she was denied — although another disabled student was given a separate room in the same building, the lawsuit alleges.

After failing the first time, Burbella says the university forced her to re-take the class in a summer session beginning four days later, causing "great trepidation."

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

Not qualified to be a nurse.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

What an idiot. lol

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I failed a couple of classes too. Guess what? I took a break, worked, realized work sucked, went back to college, got As and Bs, and changed career choices that was something that I wanted and was also realistic.

I should have sued. Could have gotten millions. lol

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

Hope she loses

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I hope she dies

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not everybody can pass everything. Welcome to adulthood sweetheart. Get used to it.

What next? She'll start suing hospitals that refuse to hire her? She is the kind of person that is a parasite on humanity.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

1) Fail class because of "anxiety."

2) School is obviously at fault.

3) Sue the school!!!1!!!

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I say give the bitch a pass so she can go work in the field. She will be ran out on the first day.

Nursing is one of the most stressful jobs around as far as I am concerned. If she can't handle nursing school she can NOT handle working as a nurse. How is she going to handle residents and their families when they flip out about meds and generally get ridiculous with their expectations? How about when a resident codes?

Seriously, as a nursing assistant one thing I have learned is that people who can't deal with stress have NO BUSINESS being in the nursing field. They make some of the worse nurses I have ever seen...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#26 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It is good to see what people really think about those with disabilities in Off-Topic.

I am glad contemporary law in Western civilization prevents this kind discrimination and health care professionals do not think like this.

It might not occur to people, but stress management can improve or worsen rather than only the latter or it remain in a wretched state.

/leaves thread

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@BranKetra: There are some harsh and unwarranted words in this thread, but reading the source of the source, it's easy to get the impression that she simply did'nt have what it took. The profession does demand a lot of mental fortitude afterall. Her issue seems to revolve around Tomkins not answering the phone during the test, which admittedly is a shitty thing to do when promised, but I'm not sure that's enough to constitute neglect.

I have personal experience with stress and anxiety in educational matters and it's real bloody easy (and comforting) to abstain from personal responsibility and you're very prone to projection.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 branketra

@MlauTheDaft said:

@BranKetra: There are some harsh and unwarranted words in this thread, but reading the source of the source, it's easy to get the impression that she simply did'nt have what it took. The profession does demand a lot of mental fortitude afterall. Her issue seems to revolve around Tomkins not answering the phone during the test, which admittedly is a shitty thing to do when promised, but I'm not sure that's enough to constitute neglect.

I have personal experience with stress and anxiety in educational matters and it's real bloody easy (and comforting) to abstain from personal responsibility and you're very prone to projection.

Am I?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts
@BranKetra said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

Am I?

Are you what? Projecting? No, I don't think so.

As I already said, I agree that people are being shits in this thread, I'm just not sure this is something people should be sued over.

Edit.... Oh..... One is very prone, when under stress and anxious. English is a secondary language to me, so I'm tripping over my words.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I read the source's source again and my harsh words maintain.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

You crazy americans sueing people for your own foolishness! (No offense to the sane american people)

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

@BranKetra said:

It is good to see what people really think about those with disabilities in Off-Topic.

I am glad contemporary law in Western civilization prevents this kind discrimination and health care professionals do not think like this.

It might not occur to people, but stress management can improve or worsen rather than only the latter or it remain in a wretched state.

/leaves thread

The problem is do you really want to make special accomodations for someone in a field where other people's lives are at stake? None of us want to fail but sometimes it's necessary to figure out where we stand. We have to evaluate the situation and decide if we want to overcome or cut our losses, not litigate to success.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@BranKetra said:

/leaves thread

Then she could've asked a leave of absence while she dealt with her personal problems. It sounds like she never even considered it a possibility. Being denied that is something I could've understood a lawsuit about, not because she didn't get extra help that she shouldn't even have had access to in the first place.

Besides, what the article reports is incomplete, seeing how the reason why the professor failed to provide the extra help he promised wasn't reported. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the professor would simply leave the phone ringing in the middle of a classroom where an exam was being taken.

Still, if she "broke" from stress in a stress-free environment with more time given I concur with what the guys before me said. She doesn't belong in an environment where mood swings and failure to answer to prompts in time can cause irreversible damage to someone else.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 branketra

@MlauTheDaft: Okay. Thank you for clarifying what you meant.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts
@BranKetra said:

/leaves thread

People on this forum have poisonous attitudes about this kind of stuff (just take a look at the classical mythology trigger thread where one poster called a sexual assault survivor a mental weakling for being severely uncomfortable about graphic depictions of rape). However, I think some of it is just immaturity and many of them will grow out of it.

That being said, I don't think this lawsuit is going to hold up. Lawsuits are not always the solution.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@GreySeal9: If you've been raped and can't handle a course that happens to mention rape in one of it's lessons in some context within it's course. It seems rather clear that You need to quite the course or work past your mental health issues. Do one or the other but no one should have to deal with this but you and what ever medical field/ personal improvement services you decide to use to help you get past YOUR ISSUE. No one else s.

Ps Your, you, You've doesn't mean you GreySeal

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreySeal9

@ribstaylor1 said:

@GreySeal9: If you've been raped and can't handle a course that happens to mention rape in one of it's lessons in some context within it's course. It seems rather clear that You need to quite the course or work past your mental health issues. Do one or the other but no one should have to deal with this but you and what ever medical field/ personal improvement services you decide to use to help you get past YOUR ISSUE. No one else s.

Actually, rape is not just "mentioned" in the lesson in question, but anyway I see no reason why rape survivors should have to quit courses. They can simply be warned about sensitive material and leave the class for a short period or some other arrangement. Secondly, saying that it's no one else's issue is not consistent with the real world. Professors have a responsibility to maintain a safe classroom environment. They have all kinds of training for exactly this reason. When I taught for awhile, I had to undergo said training.

Lastly, regardless of your opinion about this issue, you would agree that calling a rape victim a mental weakling is pretty bad, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#38 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm having some trouble with the college I'm going to, but I don't think I'd ever sue them over my difficulties.

Going to college isn't easy. You have to be really interested in what you're going to school for, have lots of time for school, and you should really scope out the different colleges that offer the course you're looking for before jumping into it.

And once you go, you won't learn every last thing you want to know about your field in class. They expect you to learn most of the crap on your own. They really just give you the basics.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@ribstaylor1 said:

Actually, rape is not just "mentioned" in the lesson in question, but anyway I see no reason why rape survivors should have to quit courses. They can simply be warned about sensitive material and leave the class for a short period or some other arrangement. Secondly, saying that it's no one else's issue is not consistent with the real world. Professors have a responsibility to maintain a safe classroom environment. They have all kinds of training for exactly this reason. When I taught for awhile, I had to undergo said training.

Lastly, regardless of your opinion about this issue, you would agree that calling a rape victim a mental weakling is pretty bad, right?

Way to twist words into a strawman.

She wasn't called a "mental weakling" because she's a rape victim.

She was called a mental weakling because she flipped over A FUCKING WRITTEN TEXT to the point of saying it was a matter of self-preservation, decided to approach the professor who shrugged her off, and then decided to turn to an advocacy group over her accident instead of just walking out of the fucking class and study that thing on her own.

Wells's quote "adapt or perish" should be reworked into "adapt, perish or bitch about it".

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@N30F3N1X said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@ribstaylor1 said:

She was called a mental weakling because she flipped over A FUCKING WRITTEN TEXT to the point of saying it was a matter of self-preservation, decided to approach the professor who shrugged her off, and then decided to turn to an advocacy group over her accident instead of just walking out of the fucking class and study that thing on her own.

Wells's quote "adapt or perish" should be reworked into "adapt, perish or bitch about it".

It really is crazy. Yeah, classes should be safe, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Fact is, that class WAS safe. Any fear for her safety is completely irrational and is only due to her own emotions.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreySeal9

@N30F3N1X said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@ribstaylor1 said:

No, she was called a mental weakling because her PSTD as a result of rape. But go ahead and apologize for mean-spiritedness.