Stephen King: Literary Genius or Hack?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
All I know is that I love IT.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

He's okay.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23055 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]

Yeah.

I haven't read any of his books in years, but I remember thinking that he's a good storyteller and that he writes characters well. I don't think that he's a "literary genius" by any means, but then again I don't really know the criteria for that anyway, but he's good at telling his stories successfully. He's a very prolific writer, so he has written some mediocre books over the years, but that doesn't take away from the successful books he's written.

His book IT is honestly one of my favorite books. I remember being so surprised by its depth and the sheer size of its universe when I first read it.

FelipeInside
IT is incredible, in a way. It's scope is enormous, and it's one of the best displays of modern characterization I've ever seen.

Sheer size of it's Universe? You should definitely read The Dark Tower Series then.... makes IT look small.

Not so much it's universe, but it's overall scope - how much it tries to tackle in terms of themes, timeframes, locations, and characters.

I've read the Dark Tower series (outside of the newest entry), and it was largely fantastic. It's scope is large as well, and it's universe is large as well, as you said.
hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts
The standards here seem to be quite high, but I'd say he's closer to genius than anything. I doubt even close to all of us have read all of his books to judge accurately.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
The standards here seem to be quite high, but I'd say he's closer to genius than anything. I doubt even close to all of us have read all of his books to judge accurately. hensothor
I've read ALL his books and short stories (except "In Writing") and I call him a Genius.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="hensothor"]The standards here seem to be quite high, but I'd say he's closer to genius than anything. I doubt even close to all of us have read all of his books to judge accurately. FelipeInside
I've read ALL his books and short stories (except "In Writing") and I call him a Genius.

I got pretty close - but stopped somewhere near halfway through Cell. I'll have to pick up Under the Dome and Through the Keyhole, though.

How was Through the Keyhole?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="hensothor"]The standards here seem to be quite high, but I'd say he's closer to genius than anything. I doubt even close to all of us have read all of his books to judge accurately. mattbbpl

I got pretty close - but stopped somewhere near halfway through Cell. I'll have to pick up Under the Dome and Through the Keyhole, though.

Currently 3/4 through Keyhole. It's good to go back to the Dark Tower Series but just consider it a side-story, good read but nothing amazing so far. Cell I actually liked, it was a good take on the Zombie Idea. You HAVE to read Under the Dome, I loved that book. It was long and I couldn't put it down. It's classic King character vs character clash.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I've read ALL his books and short stories (except "In Writing") and I call him a Genius.

Currently 3/4 through Keyhole. It's good to go back to the Dark Tower Series but just consider it a side-story, good read but nothing amazing so far. Cell I actually liked, it was a good take on the Zombie Idea. You HAVE to read Under the Dome, I loved that book. It was long and I couldn't put it down. It's classic King character vs character clash.

I just picked it up at the used bookstore a week or so ago. It's going to be a few months before I can get to it again, though, since I just got a new job and relocated.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] I got pretty close - but stopped somewhere near halfway through Cell. I'll have to pick up Under the Dome and Through the Keyhole, though.

I just picked it up at the used bookstore a week or so ago. It's going to be a few months before I can get to it again, though, since I just got a new job and relocated.

I know the feeling, I'm so busy lately that I barely have time for games or books. What I do these days, I read while I'm taking a dump in the morning....lol.... I only read about 2-5 pages but at least I get through the book eventually.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Not my favorite writer, but he's pretty good at what he does. He's not the Jesus of writers, but he's no hack.

HUxDarthRevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 HUxDarthRevan
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I gotta say Stephen King's one of my favorite authors. He's somewhere in the middle. I loved the books he wrote under the "Richard Bachman" name most of those were fantastic. His Dark Tower series is pretty good too, but I didn't read the whole series. I made it till about the sixth book, and I thought it got way to weird and just odd for my tastes. But still he's a really good author. I'd say "The Dead Zone" is my favorite book by him.

Arkasai7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Arkasai7
Member since 2004 • 4652 Posts
Not a genius or a hack, but I like his descriptions. His stories can be hard to swallow but the little details and characters are nice. I read several of his books as a teenager, but I liked his short stories the most because he was pretty good at setting up a mood and atmosphere in a very tight package with punchy quick endings.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FelipeInside

I gotta say Stephen King's one of my favorite authors. He's somewhere in the middle. I loved the books he wrote under the "Richard Bachman" name most of those were fantastic. His Dark Tower series is pretty good too, but I didn't read the whole series. I made it till about the sixth book, and I thought it got way to weird and just odd for my tastes. But still he's a really good author. I'd say "The Dead Zone" is my favorite book by him.

HUxDarthRevan
You should definitely finish the Dark Tower Series...
Legenkiller59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Legenkiller59
Member since 2008 • 6464 Posts

never read any of this books before

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#65 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

With the amount of books he's written there are bound to be some great ones and some terrible ones.

toast_burner

Is early work and some of the stuff as Richard Bachman was good, but recently his work's been no where as good as it used to be.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Some of what he does is genius (The Stand, Needful Things, It, Etc.) while some of it sucks balls (Looking at you Cell). Either way he has made a ton of stories, most of them pretty damn good, so yeah Id say hes definitely one of the best authors of recent times.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

With the amount of books he's written there are bound to be some great ones and some terrible ones.

OmenUK

Is early work and some of the stuff as Richard Bachman was good, but recently his work's been no where as good as it used to be.

I thought The Dome was pretty good, even if it was just a rip off from The Stand in terms of his characters and ideas.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#68 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

He's not the best writer style wise, but he tells a good story. In the end, that's probably the most important thing.

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

I don't know if I would say Literary Genius, but he is definitly my favorite writer. I know that he has had some duds, and also some great books with bad endings. However, the creativity and detail that are in his books seem to blow me away. The Dark Tower series stands as one of my favorite series, and then you have The Stand, Salem's Lot, Desperation/The Regulators, The Green Mile, Under the Dome, and tons of great short stories. I saw someone complaining about a part of Pet Semetary and their complaint was about one of my favorite parts of his writing. Sure, there may have been multiple pages of the characters just walking to the cemetary, but the reason it takes so long is the large amount of detail he puts in so that you can really see/visualize what the characters are going through.

I know that he hasn't been as good the past ~10 years or so, but one of my favorite of his was not too long ago. Under the Dome was a huge shock to me, the way that he showed people's true colors coming out in a small community that was cut off from the world meaning that there was no real consequences for a persons actions. Just a great look at society in an extreme situation.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#71 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Older Stuff, and most Richard Bachman stuff - Genius.

Newer Stuff after van accident....not so much.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
He used to be a genius. Today he's more of a hack.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Amazing storyteller, mediocre writer. With that said, the hate he gets is way overboard.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#74 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've never cared for his stuff at all.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 FelipeInside
He used to be a genius. Today he's more of a hack.The-Apostle
Why today? Have you read all his latest books?
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I love some of his work. The film Shawshank Redemption based on his book is also one of my favourite films

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

Both. The way he is able to write for the layman is beyond me, and he is capable of conveying depth this way. However, his creativity when writing horror is at its nadir. In the re-release of Salem's Lot, he more or less fesses up to stealing the idea and concepts from Bram Stoker. His dramatic works are much more inspired.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#78 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I like his older stuff.
PateraSilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PateraSilk
Member since 2012 • 36 Posts
He's terrible. His books are bloated worthless pieces of crap.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 FelipeInside

He's terrible. His books are bloated worthless pieces of crap.PateraSilk

d

Modern_Fit

Forum Posts