Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@BiancaDK said:
@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

She's his mother, of course she's going to be upset.

Being upset doesn't warrant throwing logic completely out the window.

and yet, that is what every person on this planet will do, if he or she is sufficiently upset, yourself included

the reason we indoctrinate simple catching phrases like "stop, drop and roll" to people in an early age, is because humans have been proven to suck at logic when in a state of distress. We will run around like headless chickens, instead of simply coupling two well-known fact that a kid would know; fire travels upwards and the head is the highest bit of your body

you're giving us way too much credit, we're basically monkeys with intricate habits

Hogwash, lots of folks in her situation have, while being rightfully upset, understood how an even such as that happened and don't go completely brain dead and start making up fantasies. Chances are she is just as delusional about most of the things in her life. This is the "Idindoonuffin" culture on display.

"you're giving us way too much credit, we're basically monkeys with intricate habits"

Speak for yourself. While we are animals, and of course do have instincts and emotions, many of us can still act rational under duress.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@LexLas said:

Why didn't he just shoot his arms, or legs ? Why kill him ? Just wondering ? I mean i guess when your adrenaline is running, your about to shoot anywhere, but its still a good point i think.

You aim for center of mass, always. No gun school will teach you to aim for limbs. Evar.

But he saw it in a movie, so it must be true.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#53 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@Renevent42 said:
@BiancaDK said:
@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

and yet, that is what every person on this planet will do, if he or she is sufficiently upset, yourself included

the reason we indoctrinate simple catching phrases like "stop, drop and roll" to people in an early age, is because humans have been proven to suck at logic when in a state of distress. We will run around like headless chickens, instead of simply coupling two well-known fact that a kid would know; fire travels upwards and the head is the highest bit of your body

you're giving us way too much credit, we're basically monkeys with intricate habits

Hogwash, lots of folks in her situation have, while being rightfully upset, understood how an even such as that happened and don't go completely brain dead and start making up fantasies. Chances are she is just as delusional about most of the things in her life. This is the "Idindoonuffin" culture on display.

"you're giving us way too much credit, we're basically monkeys with intricate habits"

Speak for yourself. While we are animals, and of course do have instincts and emotions, many of us can still act rational under duress.

you're missing the point

duress is a relative size, and simply because others have succeeded in a similar situation, it does not equate to them succeeding in any other number of alternate situations

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#54 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

"He was a good boy." Who felt he had to rob a store. I hate that fucking excuse.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

That pictures a joke right? I don't like swearing but come on what the actual F***!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@MrGeezer said:

And again, the photoshopper took a photo of a person at a completely different protest and used it to make a statement about the people at this protest. If you don't see a problem with that, then I don't know what to say. If the dude had actually used a picture of someone from this protest, then I wouldn't have any complaint.

No, no...that altered image was extant prior to this event. And anyone who confuses the two events lacks reading comprehension, as the photo is clearly not that of a 'candlelight vigil'.

Okay, then I take back the part where I'm laying the blame on the photoshopper instead of on you.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57  Edited By -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Who gives a shit anymore. **** em.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

Okay, then I take back the part where I'm laying the blame on the photoshopper instead of on you.

Oh, noes...anything but that.

lol

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Renevent42

@BiancaDK said:
@Renevent42 said:
@BiancaDK said:
@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

you're missing the point

duress is a relative size, and simply because others have succeeded in a similar situation, it does not equate to them succeeding in any other number of alternate situations

The point is you claimed every person on the planet would act as this woman would have, and that is categorically false. It's no surprise her son turned out the way he did.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BiancaDK

@Renevent42: i claimed that every person on this planet would abandon logic if sufficiently upset

how can you not appreciate the difference between that claim and the claim you presented?

it means even though you may not throw logic out of the window in this particular scenario, there will be a scenario where you will do just that

it's kinda ironic that you're pointing fingers at this mom and her son when you're kinda thick yourself lol

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#61 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

That pictures a joke right? I don't like swearing but come on what the actual F***!

Yes, the picture is a fake.

Also this mother is just being a mother and is reacting to losing her son.

Sad story but her son got what he deserved, if you can't do the time , dont do the crime.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Renevent42
@BiancaDK said:

@Renevent42: i claimed that every person on this planet would abandon logic if sufficiently upset

how can you not appreciate the difference between that claim and the claim you presented?

it means even though you may not throw logic out of the window in this particular scenario, there will be a scenario where you will do just that

it's kinda ironic that you're pointing fingers at this mom and her son when you're kinda thick yourself lol

Because you are directly relating it to the actions of this woman, as if we would all do something similar in a similar situation. Even then, there are people who have been through even worse situations that still were able to keep a cool head (like in times of war/etc).

Yeah I'm thick, meanwhile my children aren't running around robbing people. Yes, I am pointing fingers at this Mom, and it is warranted.

I actually have first hand experience with people like this...let me tell you a story. I live in a nice neighborhood and sometimes the kids in the neighborhood get into small altercations. One particular incident was between my daughter and a couple of boys who pushed her. Nothing serious, honestly just kids stuff...and she somewhat participated as well (it was pushing to get on the bus). My wife and I went around to the neighborhood to speak to all the parents of the boys (there were 4 of them). All of the parents were highly receptive to the discussion, and we even had a laugh at the end and just wanted the kids to get along and to understand each of their part in the situation...easy peasy.

All of them except one...the woman just didn't want to hear anything, claimed she didn't believe her son (even though there were multi witnesses) would do anything like that, called us liars, and essentially slammed the door on our faces. Well, we can only do what we can do so we just told our daughter to just not speak to the boy or let him bother her. Anyways no surprise this boy was the worst of the group, and while the other 3 have had a fine time since the incident that 1 boy continues to have problems. In fact, he was just suspended from school for stealing from another student's locker.

The main point is, the type of behavior displayed by the mother is not typical of normal polite people, even people who are upset...these are people who refuse (or are delusional) to take any responsibility for themselves, or for the actions of their children. This are the results of this kind of parenting.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

Yet in alot of cases that's exactly what happens when one is really upset.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

lol that pic is hilarious.

On a serious note, I feel like there's more to this story. If the shooter is a felon then why wasn't he arrested for possessing an illegal gun (any felon is prohibited from owning guns)? Unless the guy actually wrestled the gun from the kid, then the question becomes if the kid was disarmed what was the justification for shooting him?

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BiancaDK

@Renevent42: the relation with this woman's story in particular is inadvertent, as i'm really trying to address the relative nature of distress as a separate issue

i can see how you would interpret my comments as relating more directly to the woman's story, so i apologize for calling you thick x)

as for the point you bring up in your story, i agree with you to the extent that i find her behaviour to be erroneous, but in this particular situation perfectly understandable and even somewhat relatable

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@bmanva said:

On a serious note, I feel like there's more to this story. If the shooter is a felon then why wasn't he arrested for possessing an illegal gun (any felon is prohibited from owning guns)? Unless the guy actually wrestled the gun from the kid, then the question becomes if the kid was disarmed what was the justification for shooting him?

It's possible for a convicted felon to have their rights restored after a period of time.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@Treflis said:
@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

Yes, it happens... what I'm saying is it's not an valid excuse. You are still responsible for your stupid behavior whether you're upset or not and most people that aren't complete morons can still think logically when dealing with grief.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@bmanva said:

It's possible for a convicted felon to have their rights restored after a period of time.

It was an interesting and took some looking

Found this:

The Knox County District Attorney General's Office couldn't comment directly on the case but released a statement saying, "...if a person justifiably acts in self-defense or in the defense of another, that person cannot be charged with or convicted of any firearm possession crime including being a felon in possession of a firearm...

Here's what state law says: "Defenses to prosecution: A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim."

source: http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/06/19/gun-charges-negated-in-fatal-shooting/29008911/

he could still be charged by the Feds, but that seems unlikely

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@BiancaDK said:
@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

You sound like a hippie

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@lostrib said:
@drunk_pi said:
@bmanva said:

It was an interesting and took some looking

Found this:

The Knox County District Attorney General's Office couldn't comment directly on the case but released a statement saying, "...if a person justifiably acts in self-defense or in the defense of another, that person cannot be charged with or convicted of any firearm possession crime including being a felon in possession of a firearm...

Here's what state law says: "Defenses to prosecution: A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim."

source: http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/06/19/gun-charges-negated-in-fatal-shooting/29008911/

he could still be charged by the Feds, but that seems unlikely

Good find. It's interesting that there's a particular law that excuse an illegal possession of weapon.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BiancaDK

@Jaysonguy said:
@BiancaDK said:
@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

You sound like a hippie

we prefer 'flower child'

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@MuD3 said:
@Treflis said:
@MuD3 said:
@whipassmt said:

Yes, it happens... what I'm saying is it's not an valid excuse. You are still responsible for your stupid behavior whether you're upset or not and most people that aren't complete morons can still think logically when dealing with grief.

Well people deal with grief in different ways. Some bottle it up, some fall into deep despair, some do things to get their mind off what's causing it, some get hostile and destructive. It's easy to say she should think about this rationally/Logically over the death of her son cause he died while robbing the place. But grief has a way to make some disregard rational thoughts, even more so if it's a result of losing someone in your family.

Case in point, If some drunk driver ran over and killed your mom, or dad, or sibling. Many wouldn't grudge you for wanting to strangle the person to death. Yet rationally that would be against the law but you'd still want to do it and likely express that you would if you were all alone with him. That's where grief makes you think ilogical.

In the eyes of the mom, he's likely still the young boy that played outside and she refuses right now to acknowledge the action he did that resulted in his death. As a result of the grief.

Does that mean she's right? No, of course not.
Does it mean we should make fun of her, call her "complete moron"?

I don't think so, for the sake that she's not doing anything wrong. She's just grieving and I can understand why. She lost her son, regardless of who he was, she lost her son and this is her grieving process.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it is lawful to end the life of an aggressor that is going to kill you or a 3rd party.

that is exactly how simple this is.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#74 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@Treflis: Exactly. We can disagree with the mom and say she's being wrong, but we shouldn't judge her harshly or look down at her or mock her, we - at least most of - have not experienced the loss of a child, so we haven't really walked in her shoes.