So you've just won the lottery.

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Congratulations. That two-dollar ticket your spouse divorced you over because you promised never to waste any more money on your hopeless gambling addiction turned out to be the Big Winner. After the taxes come out, you are the recipient of a whole ten million dollars. And not just any dollars--American dollars. The best kind of dollars.

After a moment, it starts to sink in: your lifetime of poverty and worrying about bills and living from paycheck-to-paycheck is over. Your parents' dreams for your life, all fantasies due to the lack of money, are now suddenly feasible--hell, if dad'll ever apologize for voting for Bush twice, you might even help them out with post-retirement life. Your kids are now guaranteed an excellent, debt-free education. Your (ex) spouse can go **** themselves--who's the pathetic loser with a tiny dick now?!

But even after paying for the little Snowflakes' college, you go over the budget and find that you still somehow have five million dollars left. What's next in your new life of financial indulgence and security?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Travel, travel, travel.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Travel, travel, travel.

This.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Take all my friends to the bar and get just disgusting gross.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Invest half of that, put a million in the bank for safe-keeping, and use the last mil and a half to buy a old farmhouse way out in the country with 10 acres of land. Screw the luxuries, I just want to live in peace without worrying about expenses, so I wouldn't "live it up". I'd just buy a half-decent car, get a part-time job to keep myself from getting bored, then use the rest to pay for utilities until I die.

If I get a killing back from the investments, then I might buy a Royce or something.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Would invest and try to grow it more, but pleasure wise I would like to do a lot of travelling.

Disney World is the #1 choice, but would also like to go out of the country to places like Japan, London, and maybe either the Bahamas or just Hawaii.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I have 5 million left? Well assuming that along with my little shit's college tuition, I must have spent a lot of it on toys, cocaine, hookers and a house, etc. I think I'll put a good chunk of it in several high-interest savings accounts and invest the rest. Then I'd continue to live on the interest and dividends.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

buy some properties and invest the rest of the money.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Buy a plot of land on a mountain in austria and build a home there then live the good life for the rest of it.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Travel, travel, travel.

This.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

HookersB-)

But seriously i would invest most of it and put the rest in a savings account whilst getting cash from assets i purchase. Make my money work for me.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Invest in high-yielding; blue chip dividend stocks. There are some monthly paying BDC companies, Prospect Capital being an example, that yield over 10% and pay monthly. $1 million in PSEC would net around $100k a year in dividend payments.

Outside of the investing, I would buy a modest house in South Lake Tahoe where I could ski all winter and golf all summer. I'd probably splurge on a Nissan GT-R and a Subaru (for every day driving in winter conditions).

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

Invest in high-yielding; blue chip dividend stocks. There are some monthly paying BDC companies, Prospect Capital being an example, that yield over 10% and pay monthly. $1 million in PSEC would net around $100k a year in dividend payments.

Outside of the investing, I would buy a modest house in South Lake Tahoe where I could ski all winter and golf all summer. I'd probably splurge on a Nissan GT-R and a Subaru (for every day driving in winter conditions).

10%? how do they manage that? are they an MREIT?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Probably wouldn't take the lump sum

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bforrester420

@comp_atkins said:

@bforrester420 said:

They're a BDC (Business Development Company). BDCs avoid paying income tax on earnings so long as they return 90% of the earnings back to shareholders via dividend payments. The Dividends are then taxed as Income, rather than at the qualified dividend/capital gains rate, on the shareholder's tax filing.

It's very similarly structured to a MREIT, but BDCs provide secured and mezzanine financing to private businesses rather than dealing in commercial real estate. They're private equity firms, in essence, with a different tax structure.

Some other high-yiedling BDCs:

Appolo Investment Co. (AINV)

Ares Capital (ARCC)

Main Street Capital (MAIN)

BlackRock Kelso (BKCC)

I've only ever owned Prospect Capital in the BDC space, and I did quite well with them. Sadly, I sold most of my individual stocks when I built a house last year.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Blackjack and hookers of course.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By comp_atkins

@bforrester420 said:

@comp_atkins said:

@bforrester420 said:

They're a BDC (Business Development Company). BDCs avoid paying income tax on earnings so long as they return 90% of the earnings back to shareholders via dividend payments. The Dividends are then taxed as Income, rather than at the qualified dividend/capital gains rate, on the shareholder's tax filing.

It's very similarly structured to a MREIT, but BDCs provide secured and mezzanine financing to private businesses rather than dealing in commercial real estate. They're private equity firms, in essence, with a different tax structure.

Some other high-yiedling BDCs:

Appolo Investment Co. (AINV)

Ares Capital (ARCC)

Main Street Capital (MAIN)

BlackRock Kelso (BKCC)

I've only ever owned Prospect Capital in the BDC space, and I did quite well with them. Sadly, I sold most of my individual stocks when I built a house last year.

cool.. yeah, was wondering if the dividends were taxed the same way as MREITs.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

9mil goes into whichever bank offers the best interest rate.

even at 3% yearly, it would net 270k in interest.

the other 1mil would be spent on

house

car

education

by the time I'd finish a 4 year degree, I'd be back up to 10mil just with interest.

Then I'd live off the interest.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@Nibroc420 said:

house

car

education

by the time I'd finish a 4 year degree, I'd be back up to 10mil just with interest.

I don't think a simple savings account is a good place for 9 million dollars. Probably better to actually invest it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Invest some money for financial security so that I don't ever become unable to provide for myself and family in case I lose all my money.

After putting aside some money for that purpose, I'll start my journey of stunts and experimentation. I'll travel a lot, part for leisure but mainly for the experience and knowledge it brings. I'll have all the time I need for reading, and the peace of mind for that too. I'll also be investing my financial resources in a wide range of social and to a certain extent political experiments. I would try to supplement all of that with writing in order to preserve these set of activities and experiences and to build on them in the future.

When I feel ready, I'll try to formalize all of that and put it together by establishing some sort of a body that would constitute the sum of all these experiences refined and studied in order to be able to introduce some fresh value and maintain a sustainable and self-sufficient existence.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nibroc420

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

house

car

education

I don't think a simple savings account is a good place for 9 million dollars. Probably better to actually invest it.

Just giving an example.

3% yearly on 9mil is 270k in interest, and while bforester suggested there's a way to get 10%, 3% interest is more than enough to live off.

Could just live off interest.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

cocaine sex orgies and the finest whisky.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lostrib

@Nibroc420 said:

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

house

car

education

Just giving an example.

3% yearly on 9mil is 270k in interest, and while bforester suggested there's a way to get 10%, 3% interest is more than enough to live off.

I don't think there are many savings accounts that pay 3%. There are definitely better ways to use the money.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 comp_atkins

@Nibroc420 said:

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

house

car

education

Just giving an example.

not when the government comes along and steals all my hard earned interest...

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bforrester420

@Nibroc420 said:

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

house

car

education

Just giving an example.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a savings account paying 3% for a while. Hell, my mortgage is less than 3%. You're going to have to venture into riskier bonds (corporate, municipal, etc) or stocks to find a return greater than 3% right now.

Besides, if you put your money into any investment vehicle earning 3%, you're doing no better than keeping up with inflation anyway, and that doesn't even factor in the taxes you'll pay on your meager returns.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Invest, I guess. Quit my job and write full time as a novelist.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Considering 80% of lottery winners end up homeless and/or penniless within a few years and since I know how to live cheap, I'd probably invest/sit on most of it. I can get a nice small place for 500k, furnish it for another 500k and never have to worry about bills again.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Travel.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#31 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

use it to fund anti-gay organizations

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@Makhaidos:

Where'd you come up with this whole scenario? An interesting way to ask a simple question about what we'd do if we won the lotto.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nibroc420

@bforrester420 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@lostrib said:

@Nibroc420 said:

house

car

education

Just giving an example.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a savings account paying 3% for a while. Hell, my mortgage is less than 3%. You're going to have to venture into riskier bonds (corporate, municipal, etc) or stocks to find a return greater than 3% right now.

Besides, if you put your money into any investment vehicle earning 3%, you're doing no better than keeping up with inflation anyway, and that doesn't even factor in the taxes you'll pay on your meager returns.

I've got a savings account with 3% interest... So either I got lucky, or you're just wrong.

I also love how 270k a year is "meager returns"

I've already stated that 3% is simply a base bark, I know i can get 3% yearly, and as others have said, 10% is possible if you know what you're doing.
Point is, it's possible to win 10mil, and simply live off the interest generated from such an amount.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I would just put in the bank and continue living my life as it is right now.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's boring, but I'd buy a house on a big piece of property. I need a house for my dog and huge backyard so she can run around. I feel awful she has to live in an apartment with me. I must take her for like 10 walks a day.

And then I'd buy another dog or two so she can have playmates.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Buy a new car.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Modest house outside the city, fast car for weekends, big truck for work.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShadowsDemon

@Iszdope: Yes, it's very amusing to do what thousands of other people are doing and making a living off it.

Just because it's above your limits it doesn't mean you need to piss on other people. You got that, bucko?

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#40 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I wouldn't mind having the house I live in look nicer than it already is.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Gamble it all away

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@Iszdope said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@Iszdope: Yes, it's very amusing to do what thousands of other people are doing and making a living off it.

Just because it's above your limits it doesn't mean you need to piss on other people. You got that, bucko?

Hehe.

Keep on truckin'.

Still as clueless as ever, I see.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

A new house, a nice car, some videogames and great food everyday.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

Where did the other 5 mil go? And why did my wife leave me over something so stupid? I would never pick up a girl dumb like that. How many kids do I even have?

I would probably try to live the same life. I would just get a few upgrades such as getting a nice house in the neighborhood (nothing fancy such as a mansion) and a good car that would last very long. I would still go to my job. And I would just go on more expensive vacations rather than trips down to the beach.

Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Judas_
Member since 2013 • 319 Posts

Post on OT............................

GoogleAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GoogleAndroid
Member since 2013 • 162 Posts

I'd go to a Rolls Royce dealership and buy a Phantom. I'm only 18, so I would see how they treat me before I tell them I won the lottery. Then, I'd put it all in savings and finish college and become a doctor like I want to, without ever having to worry about finances.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Pay off my stupid student loans. Some European colleges offer education for practically free, but good 'ole Murrica thinks it's logical to shove thousands of dollars in debt down the throats of people fresh out of high school and trying to integrate into the adult world. Jesus, the Department of Education needs to get its shit together. I'd buy a house no more expensive than a million dollars. I'd do some traveling, save some in the bank, and then use the rest to pay bills, get a fancy car, and just, well, live.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@magicalclick said:

10 million is not enough for anything. I will get a job and invest most of it while getting a house that my job can afford. Seriously, if you buy a 7 million dollar house, the property tax itself will eat you alive if you don't have a 6 digit salary, let alone with all the maintenance expenses. I need at least 500 million to be comfortable spending it freely.

What...the..flying...****...did I just read? Your first sentence entire post is facedesk worthy. "10 million isn't enough for ANYTHING"? *rageface activated*

Nothing wrong with still having a job if you're a lottery winner, of course, but man, I want to punch myself after reading "getting a house my job can afford" when you have 10 million dollars.

Who the **** even buys a seven million dollar house besides a stupid rich celebrity? It's a house. You can get a good one for half a million dollars, dude.