So should GameSpot be named gayspot?

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

what's funny is however many years from now when he's a father he'll probably tell his children he was at the forefront of social change and it was everyone else that were total fuckwads about it

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

If heterosexuals have the right to get married, so do homosexuals. It's HUMAN rights. Homosexuals are every bit human as heterosexuals. Glad to see social conservatism receive a crippling blow. It's gonna be nice seeing the Bible thumpers in the South turn inside out now that gay marriage is a right nationwide. Far right wing ideology is outdated. Time for progress, bitches.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@dave123321:

Really I'm not completely against letting gay couples get married. It's fair enough really and there is no reason to force people to live by biblical rules if they don't support them. Separation of Church and state should go both ways. That said when the left starts trying to force religious leaders to marry gay couples my attitude will drastically change. And that absolutely will happen at some point.

What I don't understand is why is it that you can't not support something without being labeled as a hate filled redneck. I'm not against leagelizing gay marriage but I also don't support it. I don't hate anyone just because I don't agree with something they do.

But all that said my bigger beef is with this sites editors and the fact that they use it to constantly push their agenda.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

what's wrong with having an agenda

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@dave123321:

Really I'm not completely against letting gay couples get married. It's fair enough really and there is no reason to force people to live by biblical rules if they don't support them. Separation of Church and state should go both ways. That said when the left starts trying to force religious leaders to marry gay couples my attitude will drastically change. And that absolutely will happen at some point.

What I don't understand is why is it that you can't not support something without being labeled as a hate filled redneck. I'm not against leagelizing gay marriage but I also don't support it. I don't hate anyone just because I don't agree with something they do.

But all that said my bigger beef is with this sites editors and the fact that they use it to constantly push their agenda.

lol

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BSC14

@Abbeten:

what's wrong with it is that this is a game site not a social stand for gay rights. This has become the most unprofessional game site I have ever seen and it's too bad because it used to be a great site for game news...the best really. Now the news section is constantly being filed with social issues. And don't give me crap about "games are starting to include social issues" or some crap about gamers being taken more seriously blah, blah.....it's editors pushing their own personal agendas....and that's all it is.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BSC14

@chaoscougar1:

I should not have said "bigger beef"...what I'm saying is that, that's what my post was originally about.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Abbeten

@BSC14 said:

@Abbeten:

what's wrong with it is that this is a game site not a social stand for gay rights. This has become the most unprofessional game site I have ever seen and it's too bad because it used to be a great site for game news...the best really. Now the news section is constantly being filed with social issues. And don't give me crap about "games are starting to include social issues" or some crap about gamers being taken more seriously blah, blah.....it's editors pushing their own personal agendas....and that's all it is.

It's a site that is a platform for whatever the writers write and the editors green-light. If something as innocuous as temporarily changing the logo offends you that much, you can just not frequent the site. You use the phrase 'pushing their personal agendas' like that's some evil and sinister thing, but it really isn't. Everyone has an agenda. You have an agenda by making this post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

smh OP, Gaymespot was too easy.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@lostrib: Now that marriage is legalized, probably not a whole lot. They've been fighting for this for a couple decades now.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BSC14

@Abbeten:

Sure but it's a game site...not a news station for the far left.

And I don't work for the site. GameSpot has become incredibly unprofessional.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 chaoscougar1

@BSC14 said:

@chaoscougar1:

I should not have said "bigger beef"...what I'm saying is that, that's what my post was originally about.

What other agendas has Gamespot forced upon you?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 chaoscougar1
@BSC14 said:

@Abbeten:

Where?

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Abbeten

@BSC14 said:

@Abbeten:

It's whatever the staff wants it to be. Sure, that's mostly games, but if they want to do a little something to commemorate a historic occasion, it's their site and they can do what they want.

And I don't think support for gay marriage is a 'far left' thing. If anything, opposition to it is a far right thing.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Abbeten:

Yes, only the far left cares about gay marriage obviously.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BSC14

@chaoscougar1: @chaoscougar1:

They are posting stuff all the time...in not digging articles.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 chaoscougar1

@BSC14 said:

@chaoscougar1: @chaoscougar1:

They are posting stuff all the time...in not digging articles.

Well
In theory
If its all the time
You wouldn't really need to dig too far would you?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BSC14

@chaoscougar1:

it's been less lately to be honest but come on man...do I really need to convince you when they changed they logo to a rainbow.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 chaoscougar1

@BSC14 said:

@chaoscougar1:

it's been less lately to be honest but come on man...do I really need to convince you when they changed they logo to a rainbow.

Yeah, you do
Cause I actually can't remember the last time (if ever) GS has done something like this
They are simply showing there support for an exceptionally pertinent issue which has just had a major victory
Why this bothers you so much, I simply cannot fathom
Its the internet lad
Toughen that skin up

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BSC14

@chaoscougar1 said:
@BSC14 said:

@chaoscougar1:

Yeah, you do

Cause I actually can't remember the last time (if ever) GS has done something like this

They are simply showing there support for an exceptionally pertinent issue which has just had a major victory

Why this bothers you so much, I simply cannot fathom

Its the internet lad

Toughen that skin up

I'm sure there are more these are just the ones that came up first in google.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-s-dorian-character-is-legitimately-gay-bioware-says/1100-6420844/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-has-straight-bisexual-and-g/1100-6421222/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mortal-kombat-x-has-series-first-gay-character-may/1100-6426727/

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/gs-news-bioware-s-new-gay-character-sony-supports-/2300-6420018/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bioware-writer-talks-gay-romances-and-sexual-diver/1100-6427587/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/aaa-games-won-t-feature-gay-protagonists-for-a-long-time-says-far-cry-writer/1100-6418019/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-trailer-for-ultimate-gay-fighter-the-world-s-first-ever-gay-video-game/1100-6416909/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ultimate-gay-fighter-dev-it-s-not-meant-to-be-hateful/1100-6417062/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bioware-lead-writer-on-being-gay-and-a-developer/1100-6417843/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/denial-of-the-self-queer-characters-in-persona-4/1100-6404712/

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

lol... who would have guessed changing a 200x200 pixel jpg for a day or two would spark such furor.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

lol... who would have guessed changing a 200x200 pixel jpg for a day or two would spark such furor.

funny thing is this mostly coming from the camp who wants everyone to "shut up so we can all move on to real issues."

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Abbeten

all of those are news articles about video games

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#74 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

I don't like it, but it doesn't really bother me. This site's beyond redemption anyway, so it doesn't matter. :P

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@vfibsux said:
@lostrib said:
@alanparsons84 said:

@lostrib: The gay agenda.

what's on this agenda?

To turn us all gay and destroy the human race. You see, I think homosexuals are actually extreme environmentalist fanatics. Their plan is to turn the entire world population homosexual in order to render the human species extinct.

I brought this for you.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I don't really care for it either, but it's a celebration. A lot of companies are showing support. I don't think that will be their new permanent logo, they're just showing their support.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

It's almost as if you weren't expect this liberal, CBS owned website not to do something like this.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#80 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

As others said, the articles you linked are gaming news. News about decisions others (e.g. Bioware devs) chose to make and their explanations. If GameSpot neglected to cover those would they be supporting the "straight agenda" or "right wing agenda"? You can spin it any way you want, but the truth is GS staff can do whatever they like with their site and the little temporary rainbow logo isn't going to hurt anyone. If you want my advice, just read articles you like and move on with your day - it's a big world and other views are going to be expressed in an inclusive international website.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#81 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It's always an "agenda" when it's the political opinion someone disagrees with.

-Byshop

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Gamespot is a free website. A place where freedom of speech can be exercised and right now as I'm writing this I'm exercising my freedom of speech.

Just like many European states and US have the right, the freedom to associate themselves with Christianity and that would totally not be against secularism, Gamespot also has the right, the freedom to celebrate gayness and that too would totally not undermine the values the West stands for. It's like when Saudi Arabia beheads its nationalities because it's its freedom to do so. Or when ISIS hangs gays to prove its point.

Yeah GS is all about freedom of speech and a beacon of the values we all stand for and that's why it totally doesn't contradict the idea of a free website/country where people are free to have their opinions and write what they want and not be expected to fall under the same banner by simply being part of that country/website. That banner of course is totally gay though.

I dare you to find garbage worse than this.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

suck it homophobes, your beloved "strictly-gaming" news source is taking a position on important sociopolitical matters just like any organization, public or private, can. Literally suck it now that you can without being discriminated by the law.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Abbeten:

Supporting gay rights doesn't make you an activist, it makes you human.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#85  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It has been an incredibly important and emotional time for the United States. **** off, TC. I really appreciate Gamespot using a Rainbow logo. This week is going to be a part of history.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#86 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Yep, I guess only gay people matter. They don't do this to real miniorties.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Abbeten:

Far left?

The Far Left, Moderate Left, Centrist and Moderate Right have all been in favor of this. 60% of all republicans (the right wing party) under 50 have been in favor of this decision.

Edit: And the articles you linked still concern video games. Sure it is where social issues and gaming issues touch, but it is still video games. And there was obviously a reason those articles were being written, because of easy hits. But be glad, this court decision marks a turning point in our culture. Soon enough, no one will care about the inclusion of gay characters in games anymore.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@BSC14 said:

@Abbeten:

Far left?

The Far Left, Moderate Left, Centrist and Moderate Right have all been in favor of this. 60% of all republicans (the right wing party) under 50 have been in favor of this decision.

Edit: And the articles you linked still concern video games. Sure it is where social issues and gaming issues touch, but it is still video games. And there was obviously a reason those articles were being written, because of easy hits. But be glad, this court decision marks a turning point in our culture. Soon enough, no one will care about the inclusion of gay characters in games anymore.

If thats true then why could they not pass this into law anywhere? Even places like California?

Every single pro gay marriage victory has been won in courts, not by public voting.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I don't like gays. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't have rights. If the "G" is rainbow to support them, and people can support whoever they want, even a troll, then let them. I don't have a problem with this site at all.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DarthaPerkinjan

@TheHighWind said:

I don't like gays. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't have rights. If the "G" is rainbow to support them, and people can support whoever they want, even a troll, then let them. I don't have a problem with this site at all.

The problem is its gone from dont laugh at me, to let me be, to tolerate me, to accept me, and finally to celebrate me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@TheHighWind said:

The problem is its gone from dont laugh at me, to let me be, to tolerate me, to accept me, and finally to celebrate me

Who's demanding that you celebrate?

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 DarthaPerkinjan

@toast_burner said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@TheHighWind said:

Gamespot, for one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@toast_burner said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@TheHighWind said:

Gamespot, for one

What's gamespot done to force you to celebrate?

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@k--m--k said:

Yep, I guess only gay people matter. They don't do this to real miniorties.

Hush! voice down. The only real minority is the face of decadence. There's no such thing as Blacks, Arabs and Muslims. Pedophiles, lesbians, gays and Zoosexuals are the new age minority.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DarthaPerkinjan

@toast_burner said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@toast_burner said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@TheHighWind said:

Gamespot, for one

Well, obviously they cant force me to do anything. But they can try and push me in a direction. Their logo change of course is suppose to illicit a celebratory reaction, as though a great victory has been won. Maybe a great victory against withholding whatever last shred of credibility marriage had in the United States. Now its a mockery. A system designed by God between a man and a woman to bring perfect fulfillment to each other as well as becoming the ideal environment for child rearing has just been spat on.

Extremely disappointing, but sadly not that surprising considering the direction things have been going in for quite some time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@toast_burner said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Gamespot, for one

Well, obviously they cant force me to do anything. But they can try and push me in a direction. Their logo change of course is suppose to illicit a celebratory reaction, as though a great victory has been won. Maybe a great victory against withholding whatever last shred of credibility marriage had in the United States. Now its a mockery. A system designed by God between a man and a woman to bring perfect fulfillment to each other as well as becoming the ideal environment for child rearing has just been spat on.

Extremely disappointing, but sadly not that surprising considering the direction things have been going in for quite some time.

So you want to force people to not celebrate?

Hypocrite.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DarthaPerkinjan

@toast_burner said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@toast_burner said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Gamespot, for one

So you want to force people to not celebrate?

Hypocrite.

Im not a big fan of social engineering

Keep someone in the water long enough and soon they'll forget they're wet

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@Maroxad said:

The fact of the matter is.

Homosexuality has been an increasingly bigger part of the gaming industry as well. As more and more games adopt same sex options for games or expand upon them.

Fire Emblem Fates being the most recent example. The legalization of same sex marriage will eventually help normalize the concept in the states. Which in turn will have an impact on gaming.

It is called celebration. And you were criticized for your rather condensending tone and ironic nature. Complaining about the existance discussions that you yourself contribute to.

I read somewhere that marriage in Fire Emblem was to have two characters bring forth a new character with the same abilities as their parents. How does same sex marriage keep up that game mechanic?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Boy who would have thought that SCOTUS' ruling would rattle conservatives that badly. It's not that buggery has just sprung into existence through the ruling; all the ruling does is that it institutionalizes it. I understand the conservative discomfort but not the exaggeration as this has been a de facto status quo for years.

Nor do I understand the extravagant liberal festivities. It's a liberal victory I concur, but it's inflated above and beyond it's actual significance. I skimmed through the three related topics we have here and some of the replies are surreal: non-Americans genuinely reveling in the jubilee and Americans pontificating about how history will memorialize this momentous hour. Buggery has been sanctioned for years, even its institutionalization has been around for a while, albeit in measure.

I have to hand it to the LGBT movement: for such a minority they managed to lobby immense support and elevate their agenda into an ideological and national issue. I wonder why the matter is that sensational.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

If thats true then why could they not pass this into law anywhere? Even places like California?

Every single pro gay marriage victory has been won in courts, not by public voting.

No idea of the exact specifics but,

• Lack of voting among the young.
  • Exceptional Propaganda among the religious right.
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

How does this harm the credibility of marriage. And Marriage existed long before Christianity. Christianity may have hijacked the institution, but since then, marriage returned to its secular roots.

Funny though. How the states that didnt allow for gay marriage made a much bigger mockery than those that did, going by the much higher divorce rates.

@Hexagon_777 said:

I read somewhere that marriage in Fire Emblem was to have two characters bring forth a new character with the same abilities as their parents. How does same sex marriage keep up that game mechanic?

Adoption.