Should we lower the age to purchase guns?

• 193 results
PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

If they shoot then who holds responsible for it?

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

Such a blatant troll thread, it's beyond stupid. How is this thread not locked? This was made just after a 9 year old accidentally shot her instructor with an uzi, how much of an asshole can you be?

timothyrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 timothyrolls
Member since 2012 • 161 Posts

@purplelabel said:

Such a blatant troll thread, it's beyond stupid. How is this thread not locked? This was made just after a 9 year old accidentally shot her instructor with an uzi, how much of an asshole can you be?

Hey! I made this thread before that topic got made, and I have shown nothing but respect and regret to those involved in that incident.

Meanwhile in this thread people have made jokes about that very incident and I have asked them not to do so. Despite the accident (turns out they happen) I stand by this idea.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

@timothyrolls said:

@purplelabel said:

Hey! I made this thread before that topic got made, and I have shown nothing but respect and regret to those involved in that incident.

Meanwhile in this thread people have made jokes about that very incident and I have asked them not to do so. Despite the accident (turns out they happen) I stand by this idea.

You're a troll and you know it. This is the stupidest thread ever made on this forum.

timothyrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 timothyrolls

@purplelabel:

Like several others in this thread you have nothing to say but "troll" which I suspect is due to the fact you find it hard to comprehend that others have differing opinions. If you can't handle a variety of opinions I suggest not posting.

timothyrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 timothyrolls

@PsychoLemons said:

If they shoot then who holds responsible for it?

You don't blame a child who had to fend for their lives naturally.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#57  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@geekinkinc said:

Just make it like pokemon; at age ten, you receive your first weapon and then go out into the world trying to collect em all and battle and trade with other kids.

rofl

But anyway, TC: have you ever been around 14/15 year olds? The notion of arming them is fucking nuts.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I don't see why wait until 21... I mean giving people the freedom to buy booze and conceal a weapon seems like two too many freedoms to give to someone at once. Then again, 18 - 21 are still just immature children in my view. If there's a statistical reason not to give them handguns that early then I'll buy it. It's like college and they lock the balcony doors during finals to cut down on suicides. Then again people are 18 then their adults, by law they're their own person accountable to themselves. I can see both sides of the issue. I don't like the idea of handguns period, wish they'd all be outlawed and people just walk around with full sized weapons so everyone knows who is packing heat.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

@GamingGod999 said:

How about lowing the age to purchase and consume alcohol?

EDIT: I assume TC is from the US...and likely a troll.

alcohol kills far more people than guns. who wants stupid teens in bars anyway?

Do Americans seriously consider 18 year-olds as 'teens'? So you can enrol to join the military as soon as you turn 17, but have to wait until you're 21 to drink a beer? What the ****?!

@timothyrolls said:

@killzowned24 said:

@GamingGod999 said:

How about lowing the age to purchase and consume alcohol?

EDIT: I assume TC is from the US...and likely a troll.

alcohol kills far more people than guns. who wants stupid teens in bars anyway?

Killzoned seems to know what he's talking about.

GamingGod if you want to talk about lowering the legal age to purchase alcohol feel free to create a new topic seeing as how this one is about gun purchasing. Also I have defended my position on this multiple times throughout the thread, and as I said above just because we have a difference of opinion does not mean I am trolling.

I feel like several people in gamespot off-topic have a hard time accepting the fact that people are diverse and may have differing even opposite opinions from one another. When this happens they call foul and hope that the topic gets locked.

Your OP mentioned giving kids as young as 14 the right to purchase weapons, as well as the ability to take them onto school grounds/campuses. You shouldn't be surprised that people are labelling this as troll bait.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:

I could see lowering the age for handguns to 18. But not lower than that.

This.

Plus I hate your sig OP.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

what is it with Americans and love for guns ?

Gun Murder - Article is a year and half old, but its still shows a trend, less guns less people die from guns

Wouldn't more gun restrictions save lives rather the opposite.

An Analogy using Countries would be, I think ALL countries should Nuclear Bombs to protect themselves and make the world safer. Lets ensure North Korea, Somalia, Iraq have full Nuclear weapons power.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@thehig1 said:

what is it with Americans and love for guns ?

Gun Murder - Article is a year and half old, but its still shows a trend, less guns less people die from guns

Wouldn't more gun restrictions save lives rather the opposite.

An Analogy using Countries would be, I think ALL countries should Nuclear Bombs to protect themselves and make the world safer. Lets ensure North Korea, Somalia, Iraq have full Nuclear weapons power.

Because the vast majority of gun owners don't commit crimes with their weapons. Why should we be punished for the crimes of a few?

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@timothyrolls: "true, I actually meant purchasing which is what I said continuously in my first two paragraphs."

No a 14-15yr old shouldn't be aloud to just go and purchase a gun, are you out of your mind? The thing is 14-15yr olds are not muture or fully mentally developed and their emotions run high, you really think it's a good idea having people like that walking around with concealed firearms?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#64 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@timothyrolls said:

@_Judas_ said:

what...? No

@Blueresident87 said:

NO

@thegerg said:

no

man when people around here disagree their reasons for disagreement are quite strong and well stated.

You asked a question and we answered. There really isn't much to say though.

"Should we lower the age to purchase guns?"

"No"

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#65 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

IMHO No civilian should be allowed to own a gun.. you might disagree but as a non american.. you can defend yourself without guns you know? I will never understand america obsession for guns,you ppl make it so easily accessible that any lunatic can grab an assault rifle and go shoot a bunch of school children.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@torenojohn7 said:

IMHO No civilian should be allowed to own a gun.. you might disagree but as a non american.. you can defend yourself without guns you know? I will never understand america obsession for guns,you ppl make it so easily accessible that any lunatic can grab an assault rifle and go shoot a bunch of school children.

well it is a Right in the US.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By torenojohn7

@lostrib: I can understand buying air rifles for sport hunting and tazers&small pistols for self-defense.. but seriously why the **** does a civilian need an UZI or an Assault rifle? that is beyond me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lostrib

@torenojohn7: for fun? Self defense?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The usefulness of guns is not disputed, but their applicability is. Guns can save lives with a mature mentality and adequate physical capabilities, yet they also end lives inappropriately when mishandled. The main issue for who should own a gun is competency. I am not implying condescension towards children and young teenagers, but science proves that minds are not fully developed at that age range. How can one say the pros outweigh the cons for lowering age requirements for guns or vice-versa with such an unpredictable factor without knowledge of science?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@torenojohn7 said:

Not everyone has martial art skills or even full mobility. A little old lady might need a gun to protect herself from thugs.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#71 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@lostrib said:

@torenojohn7 said:

Heaven forbid you change the law.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

Maybe Mike Brown could've shot back at that cop.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#73 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@timothyrolls said:

So I was thinking about gun ownership and realized just how unfair it is to young people that they are not allowed to protect themselves strictly due to their age. After all you have to be 18 to purchase a shotgun or rifle and 21 before you can purchase a handgun. Frankly handguns are the only thing you are allowed to carry with you for protection (concealed or not.....whatever doesn't make a difference to me) in most places without it being taboo. You try the same with a shotgun or rifle and you will likely be arrested despite the fact that you are simply exercising your 2nd amendment rights.

I get that there is no way we will ever see people get behind removing the age of ownership, but I suggest lowering it to 15 or so. In a world where seconds count and the cops are minutes away I would like to see my son be able to protect himself. What do you guys think? If we were able to lower the rate at which little children become victims to gun violence would you get behind lowering the age to 15 maybe 14?

Edit at the very least allow people to buy handguns at age 18.

we let people drink at 14 15 here

but guns are always forbidden

protect yourself from what?

dragons?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lostrib

@SolidSnake35 said:

@lostrib said:

@torenojohn7 said:

Heaven forbid you change the law.

Well it's the Bill of Rights of the Constitution, it's not an easy thing to change. And for many, they take the right to bear arms as an inalienable right

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#76 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

After seing this i don't know why anyone would make this stupid fucking argument...

Link to 9 year old shooting a man at a shooting range

timothyrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 timothyrolls

@The_Last_Ride said:

After seeing this i don't know why anyone would make this stupid fucking argument...

Because 9 does not equal 15.

Because accidents happen.

Because the trainer should have known better than to hand the kid an uzi.

Because the trainer should not have been standing above the kid.

And because it does not negate the potential life threatening situations that could be mitigated if a young adult did posses a firearm.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 The_Last_Ride

@timothyrolls said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

After seeing this i don't know why anyone would make this stupid fucking argument...

Because 9 does not equal 15.

Because accidents happen.

Because the trainer should have known better than to hand the kid an uzi.

Because the trainer should not have been standing above the kid.

And because it does not negate the potential life threatening situations that could be mitigated if a young adult did posses a firearm.

Why the **** does a kid need a fucking gun, please tell me that... I have been in the military, and there's the only place that kind of weapon should be

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#79 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@airshocker said:

I would be okay with lowering the age to buy all firearms to 18. If 18 year old soldiers can carry pistols and be responsible, so can their civilian counterparts.

This.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 lostrib

@The_Last_Ride: well that occurred due to poor decisions of the instructor

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 lostrib

@farrell2k: has violent crime gone down ?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 The_Last_Ride

@thegerg said:

@The_Last_Ride: He didn't say that kids need guns. Why are you trying to frame the argument in terms of need?

why else would you need a gun except for to shoot people? It's not necessary...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lostrib

@The_Last_Ride: shoot targets, shoot animals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride: shoot targets, shoot animals

The intimidation factor. Can't forget that. You don't necessarily need to shoot anyone to deter crime. Sometimes just knowing somebody else is armed will stop somebody in their tracks.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

When I look back at how I acted when I was 18 years old, and think about how he could have owned a gun, I get very scared.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#91 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

If you really wanted a gun to murder someone, it's not impossible to retrieve one illegally. An age limit doesn't matter, it's whether you are psychologically stable.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By torenojohn7

@lostrib: Drugs are also "fun" you don't see it being legal! yes its okay for military officials and authorized hunters to own these advanced weapons.. but ya'll should learn from Japan and refrain from using guns.

For self-defense a tazer,pepper spray and a small non-lethal pistol to shoot someone in the legs is enough.. there is no legitimate reason why any civilian should have a right to own anything other a small pistol period!

@BranKetra:Old lady WTF? how can an old lady who can't even drive properly handle a fuc*king gun? i won't even trust an old lady with a tazer.

@thegerg: That's because guns are more convenient but that doesn't negate the fact that mass shootings only happen because of advanced weapons.

<< This was the reason why so many children died not a small pistol.

Loading Video...

This commercial isn't funny if its real guys!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@torenojohn7 said:

@lostrib: Drugs are also "fun" you don't see it being legal!

But they should be.

bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By bigbeebis
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

Sure. Why not throw tanks and nuclear weapons while we are at it.

Your thread starting argument is as good as nays you are so steadfast to strike down. How can a toddler ever evaluate whether a threat is as dire should they use a gun? If anything, gun use by civilians should be prohibited altogether.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

That's because guns are more convenient but that doesn't negate the fact that mass shootings only happen because of advanced weapons.

That simply isn't true. Most school shootings happen with handguns.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@farrell2k said:

@lostrib said:

@farrell2k: has violent crime gone down ?

Yes, violent and gun crime in general has gone down the past twenty years with the passage of the Brady bill in 1993, and the large decline in gun ownership from 50% of the country in the 70s, to less than 34% today, demonstrating once again that fewer guns = less crime.

Correlation doesn't equal causation.

It's funny how you try and criticize others for using logical fallacies when you can't seem to stop using them yourself.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lostrib

@torenojohn7 said:

@lostrib: Drugs are also "fun" you don't see it being legal! yes its okay for military officials and authorized hunters to own these advanced weapons.. but ya'll should learn from Japan and refrain from using guns.

For self-defense a tazer,pepper spray and a small non-lethal pistol to shoot someone in the legs is enough.. there is no legitimate reason why any civilian should have a right to own anything other a small pistol period!

@BranKetra:Old lady WTF? how can an old lady who can't even drive properly handle a fuc*king gun? i won't even trust an old lady with a tazer.

@thegerg: That's because guns are more convenient but that doesn't negate the fact that mass shootings only happen because of advanced weapons.

This commercial isn't funny if its real guys!

Alcohol is fun, and it's legal and it destroys people's lives. Cars are legal, and I believe they kill more people than gun crime. Fast food is legal, and heart disease is the number one cause of death