Rob Woodall On Medicare: 'When Do I Decide I'm Going To Take Care Of Me?'

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

People on welfare can still contribute to society. I have a cousin who is mentally challenged and gets government assistance, he's only allowed to work so many hours but he still pays taxes from it. HoolaHoopMan

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying that I contribute more. As for those who are mentally-retarded or disabled, I don't expect them to contribute as much as those who are on welfare only because of unemployment. I'm perfectly fine paying to help them.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="white_wolf922"] I'm claiming that a lot of his profits come from exploitation. Most of Apple's products are made in third world sweat shops where workers are exploited. Therefore Jobs is making profits off pretty much slave labor. Oh, and for every Steve Jobs and Bill Gates who actually may have worked to make their companies there are 10 Paris Hilton and Georges Bush types who have never worked a day in their worthless lives. white_wolf922
So? He provides jobs where jobs are needed, the people need money, and they get money. Without him, they'd have no jobs and no food and they'd be starving. As for those who dont "deserve" to be rich Someone worked hard so their idiot daughter (Paris hilton is a great example) can survive in the world. How far do you think Paris Hilton would get if her father wasn't rich? Stop QQing because some people are born into rich families. Smart people with Rich families = Successful Idiots with Rich Families = idiots who do what they want. Sure, they're not deserving, but they dont hurt anyone, and it's their money.

Let me make this very clear. As long as a single person who is working hard and trying in this country is dying from lack of food, shelter, health care,or is unable to provide for their families decently, then no one deserves to be making millions of dollars every year.

So lets say i invented Jetpacks, and i sold them for $1000 each, and 500,000 people bought them. Suddenly I'm not deserving of the money i earned from the product i created because someone elsewhere doesn't want to find a job and is thus on welfare? Yeah, alright, commie.
white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="white_wolf922"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] So? He provides jobs where jobs are needed, the people need money, and they get money. Without him, they'd have no jobs and no food and they'd be starving. As for those who dont "deserve" to be rich Someone worked hard so their idiot daughter (Paris hilton is a great example) can survive in the world. How far do you think Paris Hilton would get if her father wasn't rich? Stop QQing because some people are born into rich families. Smart people with Rich families = Successful Idiots with Rich Families = idiots who do what they want. Sure, they're not deserving, but they dont hurt anyone, and it's their money.

Let me make this very clear. As long as a single person who is working hard and trying in this country is dying from lack of food, shelter, health care,or is unable to provide for their families decently, then no one deserves to be making millions of dollars every year.

So lets say i invented Jetpacks, and i sold them for $1000 each, and 500,000 people bought them. Suddenly I'm not deserving of the money i earned from the product i created because someone elsewhere doesn't want to find a job and is thus on welfare? Yeah, alright, commie.

First of all commie isn't an insult to me since I am one. Though if you want to be specific you could call me a Trotskyist. Secondly you've touched on one of my biggest problems with the Right. This belife that every poor person is lazy and on wellfare and does not work. That is completely and utterly false. As I said a lot of poor people work much harder than any CEO who merely manipulates money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

First of all commie isn't an insult to me since I am one. Though if you want to be specific you could call me a Trotskyist. Secondly you've touched on one of my biggest problems with the Right. This belife that every poor person is lazy and on wellfare and does not work. That is completely and utterly false. As I said a lot of poor people work much harder than any CEO who merely manipulates money. white_wolf922

And what drives us on the right crazy is people like you who think CEOs don't do any work at all. This would make a great reality show. Just pick up your average person on welfare and put them in charge of a company for a week. Well, it would be great until the company went bankrupt.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]People on welfare can still contribute to society. I have a cousin who is mentally challenged and gets government assistance, he's only allowed to work so many hours but he still pays taxes from it. airshocker

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying that I contribute more. As for those who are mentally-retarded or disabled, I don't expect them to contribute as much as those who are on welfare only because of unemployment. I'm perfectly fine paying to help them.

Well you just said that people on welfare don't pay for any of their assistance....well they do by paying taxes. You may ultimately pay more in comparison but they still put some into the pool of money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Well you just said that people on welfare don't pay for any of their assistance....well they do by paying taxes. You may ultimately pay more in comparison but they still put some into the pool of money.HoolaHoopMan

They don't, in my eyes, as long as they don't pay as much as I do.

I'm really just trying to make my resentment clear, as opposed to arguing any kind of point.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]Well you just said that people on welfare don't pay for any of their assistance....well they do by paying taxes. You may ultimately pay more in comparison but they still put some into the pool of money.airshocker

I'm really just trying to make my resentment clear, as opposed to arguing any kind of point.

So everyone needs to pay "as much" as you, and until then anything they contribute counts as nothing?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="white_wolf922"] Let me make this very clear. As long as a single person who is working hard and trying in this country is dying from lack of food, shelter, health care,or is unable to provide for their families decently, then no one deserves to be making millions of dollars every year. white_wolf922

First of all commie isn't an insult to me since I am one. Though if you want to be specific you could call me a Trotskyist. Secondly you've touched on one of my biggest problems with the Right. This belife that every poor person is lazy and on wellfare and does not work. That is completely and utterly false. As I said a lot of poor people work much harder than any CEO who merely manipulates money.

People can't work and still be on welfare. People are on welfare because of one (or more) of the following reasons: 1.) Lack of Education. 2.)Poor Work Ethics. 3.)Laziness. 4.) "Inability" to work (usually also involves #3)
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]Well you just said that people on welfare don't pay for any of their assistance....well they do by paying taxes. You may ultimately pay more in comparison but they still put some into the pool of money.airshocker

So if you and another person split the cost of dinner they pay $10 and you pay $11 they've paid nothing by your logic?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 worlock77

People can't work and still be on welfare. Nibroc420

Uhh, yeah, they can.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]People can't work and still be on welfare. worlock77

Uhh, yeah, they can.

They shouldn't :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

So everyone needs to pay "as much" as you, and until then anything they contribute counts as nothing? HoolaHoopMan

To the government they contribute enough. That's all that matters, right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

So if you and another person split the cost of dinner they pay $10 and you pay $11 they've paid nothing by your logic?

worlock77

No, there are always exceptions.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]People can't work and still be on welfare. Nibroc420

Uhh, yeah, they can.

Should or shouldn't is a different matter entirely. The fact is they can and often do. Someone may have a job but it isn't enough to take care of their family. In that case they may have assistance such as food stamps and such. But hell, at least they're making an effort and they're at least paying something into the system.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]So everyone needs to pay "as much" as you, and until then anything they contribute counts as nothing? airshocker

To the government they contribute enough. That's all that matters, right?

That's not answering my question though, I'm asking YOU. Do people need to pay as much as you in order for their contributions even count?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Uhh, yeah, they can.

worlock77

Should or shouldn't is a different matter entirely. The fact is they can and often do. Someone may have a job but it isn't enough to take care of their family. In that case they may have assistance such as food stamps and such. But hell, at least they're making an effort and they're at least paying something into the system.

But they're taking it back faster than they put money in :| What happened to the days of people working towards something...Rather than using debt to buy things and working to pay it off :?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

That's not answering my question though, I'm asking YOU. Do people need to pay as much as you in order for their contributions even count?HoolaHoopMan

I would certainly like that, but no.

Like I said, just vocalizing my resentment on the matter.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] They shouldn't :|Nibroc420

But they're taking it back faster than they put money in :| What happened to the days of people working towards something...Rather than using debt to buy things and working to pay it off :?

What? How is that last bit even remotely relevant to the discussion. Furthermore why is this even a discussion? You said people can't work and be on welfare, that simply is not true. Not much to discuss there really.

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

I'm pretty sure you don't pay as much as some other people. So is how much you pay a golden standard or something?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]That's not answering my question though, I'm asking YOU. Do people need to pay as much as you in order for their contributions even count?airshocker

Well I guess I don't share your attitude. You seem to be caught up in a world of "Me, Me, Me". Your resentment more than likely stems from a massive misunderstanding of why people are actually on welfare and what their lives are actually like. I think it's plain as day when you claim people on welfare contribute NOTHING back and insist that anyone below you on the tax bracket is nothing more than a non-contributing bum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Well I guess I don't share your attitude. You seem to be caught up in a world of "Me, Me, Me". Your resentment more than likely stems from a massive misunderstanding of why people are actually on welfare and what their lives are actually like. I think it's plain as day when you claim people on welfare contribute NOTHING back and insist that anyone below you on the tax bracket is nothing more than a non-contributing bum. HoolaHoopMan

No one else cares about what's good for me. If that makes me selfish then oh well.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]That's not answering my question though, I'm asking YOU. Do people need to pay as much as you in order for their contributions even count?HoolaHoopMan

Well I guess I don't share your attitude. You seem to be caught up in a world of "Me, Me, Me". Your resentment more than likely stems from a massive misunderstanding of why people are actually on welfare and what their lives are actually like. I think it's plain as day when you claim people on welfare contribute NOTHING back and insist that anyone below you on the tax bracket is nothing more than a non-contributing bum.

Not everyone who is on welfare HAS to be on welfare, stop making it seem that way. If people worked hard, and put effort into finding jobs and getting educated, there'd be no need for welfare; except in cases where people are disabled to the point where they're physically unable to work.
white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Nibroc420

Not everyone who is on welfare HAS to be on welfare, stop making it seem that way. If people worked hard, and put effort into finding jobs and getting educated, there'd be no need for welfare; except in cases where people are disabled to the point where they're physically unable to work.

Maybe you should stop making it seem that everyone who is on wellfare is a lazy bum who doesn't work. The vast majority of poor people are very hard working.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#174 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

If people worked hard, and put effort into finding jobs and getting educated, there'd be no need for welfareNibroc420

Indeed; it's remarkable how every so often, twice as many people in America become slacking bums. Why, during the 1930s, a full quarter of Americans became worthless slackers! Then they just arbitrarily decided to find jobs after the war began coming to a close.

Come on now. This statement is provably false and I'd wager that you know it.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Well I guess I don't share your attitude. You seem to be caught up in a world of "Me, Me, Me". Your resentment more than likely stems from a massive misunderstanding of why people are actually on welfare and what their lives are actually like. I think it's plain as day when you claim people on welfare contribute NOTHING back and insist that anyone below you on the tax bracket is nothing more than a non-contributing bum. white_wolf922

Maybe you should stop making it seem that everyone who is on wellfare is a lazy bum who doesn't work. The vast majority of poor people are very hard working.

You claim they're so hard working, Yet they dont make as much as others. Strange...Maybe they shouldn't have dropped out of highschool to be hard working gas jockeys?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#176 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Not everyone who is on welfare HAS to be on welfare, stop making it seem that way. If people worked hard, and put effort into finding jobs and getting educated, there'd be no need for welfare; except in cases where people are disabled to the point where they're physically unable to work.Nibroc420

Welfare, for the most part, requires getting/having a job, so it's not like most of the recipients are just sitting on their asses. I don't think you could really demonstrate in argument that people with minimum wage jobs are not hard working. It is perfectly possible for one to work hard at a job that is so lowing paying that they need government assistance.

As far as getting educated is concerned, that is easier said than done. While I do think that welfare recipients should attain higher education if they can, sometimes that's not viable due to the pressures of working several jobs and taking care of children. That's not even considering the fact that there are people that are simply not going to succeed in an academic environment.

You can say "there'd be no need for welfare if x, y, and z," all you want, but there will always be families out there that need it because there is always going to be people on the bottom of the economic scale and no amount of idealism is going to change that.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Not everyone who is on welfare HAS to be on welfare, stop making it seem that way. If people worked hard, and put effort into finding jobs and getting educated, there'd be no need for welfare; except in cases where people are disabled to the point where they're physically unable to work.GreySeal9

Welfare, for the most part, requires getting/having a job, so it's not like most of the recipients are just sitting on their asses. I don't think you could really demonstrate in argument that people with minimum wage jobs are not hard working. It is perfectly possible for one to work hard at a job that is so lowing paying that need assistance.

As far as getting educated is concerned, that is easier said than done. While I do think that welfare recipients should attain higher education if they can, sometimes that's not viable due to the pressures of working several jobs and taking care of children. That's not even considering the fact that there are people that are simply not going to succeed in an academic environment.

You can say "there'd be no need for welfare if x, y, and z," all you want, but there will always be families out there that need it because there is always going to be people on the bottom of the economic scale and no amount of idealism is going to change that.

Is it my fault someone decides at 17 they're ready for Kids? no. Is it my fault someone decides they dont need education? no. Idiotic actions have consequences. Yet society likes to baby the idiots.
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Not everyone who is on welfare HAS to be on welfare, stop making it seem that way. If people worked hard, and put effort into finding jobs and getting educated, there'd be no need for welfare; except in cases where people are disabled to the point where they're physically unable to work.Nibroc420

Welfare, for the most part, requires getting/having a job, so it's not like most of the recipients are just sitting on their asses. I don't think you could really demonstrate in argument that people with minimum wage jobs are not hard working. It is perfectly possible for one to work hard at a job that is so lowing paying that need assistance.

Is it my fault someone decides at 17 they're ready for Kids? no. Is it my fault someone decides they dont need education? no. Idiotic actions have consequences. Yet society likes to baby the idiots.

There's some correlation between crime and delayed welfare payments:

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/odd-numbers/2008/02/05/does-crime-rise-when-welfare-checks-are-delayed/

If you don't have some kind of safety net, what will the people at the bottom do? I doubt they'll just let themselves starve to death.

It's much cheaper to pay for welfare than it is to pay for incarceration, especially with our prison system as taxed as it is.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 worlock77

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]If people worked hard, and put effort into finding jobs and getting educated, there'd be no need for welfareGabuEx

Indeed; it's remarkable how every so often, twice as many people in America become slacking bums. Why, during the 1930s, a full quarter of Americans became worthless slackers! Then they just arbitrarily decided to find jobs after the war began coming to a close.

Come on now. This statement is provably false and I'd wager that you know it.

I love how this post was conveniently ignored by Nibroc.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

Wait.... Hold on...

What if you pay fewer taxes than I do? Do you contribute nothing in that case?
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

I do not know about you, but I value human life far over money. Medical costs are high in, especially for the elderly (which is a related albiet seperate topic of disccusion) and paying for them yourself would likely put a good portion of people into debt and make their lives more miserable without aid from programs like Medicare.

DarkGamer007

I'd rather save a starving child, than a 70 year old man who's already lived his life. If that 70 year old man wants to live another 20 years hooked up to a resperator, feeding tubes, and bed pans...

Well thats his choice, but IMO a child > old man.

Then donate to a charity if you want to save a child. You imply as if we cannot have programs like Medicare and care for the elderly and help children that are starving elsewhere. :|

Couldn't he just say donate to charity of you want to save the elderly?

For all the people who believe in Social Security and Medicare, how you put your money where your mouth is.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]I dont want those taxes going to pay for someone's comatose 112 year old grandmother because they want to keep her alive.Ace6301

Fortunately, each individual taxpayer does not get to earmark his tax dollars, or else nothing would ever get done.

Good thing too. Could you imagine getting a receipt in the mail with 'Congrats citizen! Your tax payer money has gone toward purchasing 1/20th of a tomahawk missile!"

I like to think that my tax money went to the exact bullet that killed Osama.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Fortunately, each individual taxpayer does not get to earmark his tax dollars, or else nothing would ever get done.

SpartanMSU

Good thing too. Could you imagine getting a receipt in the mail with 'Congrats citizen! Your tax payer money has gone toward purchasing 1/20th of a tomahawk missile!"

I like to think that my tax money went to the exact bullet that killed Osama.

Nope, that was China's money