Racist Hunger Game Fans

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 King-Kai
Member since 2012 • 934 Posts

In this episode of The Philip Defranco show, Phillip discusses a series of racist comments posted on Twitter by fans of The Hunger Games. Apparently, some fans are disappointed that certain characters were portrayed by Black actors/ actresses. These characters are Rue, Thresh, and Cinnamon. Here are some of the comments:

I know, rue is too black for what I pictured. But Peeta IS nomworthyAbi

I was pumped for the Hunger Games. Until I learned that a black girl was playing RueJohn Knox IV

why did the producer make all of the good characters black smhmari

However, these characters are actually described as Black in the books. For example:

And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.The Hunger Games

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there.The Hunger Games

So, what do you think of this OT? Why do people have such a problem with this? Why do people hate Blacks so much? Discuss.

Here's another video on it.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
You have race issues BRHD.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I haven't read the books, so were the characters in them a certain ethnicity or race originally?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
This just in! Racists still exist.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#5 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

All that aside: who the hell names a character Cinnamon if they aren't going to be a stripper?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Yes, lots of people on twitter are dumb.
AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts

I hate racist peoples

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 King-Kai

I haven't read the books, so were the characters in them a certain ethnicity or race originally?

Pirate700

Yes, they are. The last two quotes in the OP are from the books. They describe the characters as Black.

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 King-Kai

I'm going to work for three hours. I'll be back. Chat among yourselves.

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AussieePet

King-Kai
Don't leave us!
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Its Twitter, who cares?

Its the Hunger Games, who cares?

Also, how can they be hunger games fans when they are upset by black characters in the film when they are black in the books?

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Racism exists how surprising.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i dont see much of an issue near where i live blacks call eachother the N word all the time

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

i dont see much of an issue near where i live blacks call eachother the N word all the time

almasdeathchild

What does that have to do with this thread?

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AussieePet

almasdeathchild
They call each others the N word? so they call each others neighbors?
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

Pirate700

What does that have to do with this thread?

wups wrong thread.

but no really i was typeing whats more racists then what more or less speaking my mind like an R-tard >.>

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
I think it's funny :lol:
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

"I know, rue is too black for what I pictured." lmao... the girl that plays her is light skinned. wtf?

I hope these aren't Marvel fans either because they'll be greatly disappointed with Nick Fury in the Avengers.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
I think it's funny :lol:chilly-chill
It wont be funny when a black person takes your skateboard and knock you in the head with it for laughing
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]I think it's funny :lol:Bucked20
It wont be funny when a black person takes your skateboard and knock you in the head with it for laughing

now now no need to get mean on the internet

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Why are all blacks violent thugs?

Stop reinforcing stereotypes badman.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

A black person would never do that though. They'd join in on the laughter.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
The only weird thing about her being black is the fact that her sister, the main character, isn't. It confused the hell out of me.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
Really think there are bigger issues in the world than the casting of a silly movie.....
Xx_Socrates_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xx_Socrates_xX
Member since 2012 • 3604 Posts

Cinnamon? :lol: It was Cinna. But both Thresh and Rue were portrayed as African American in the book. Cinna, I thought was white. This is just another sad example of idiotic bigotism.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Errr I thought some of the characters were described as *black* in the books ?..I dont even..Really ? People are that wtf worthy that they complain over some characters being a different race in a movie..my god.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#27 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Wow, I did not know people were overreacting over that. I mean, the book is quite clear in their description, and even if it wasn't, that should not be a issue.

I am disappointed in the world, but I am not surprised by it. :(

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
I swear this has been the month of racism. Everyday there is something related to racism whether it's this or the Trayvon Martin case. As a black man, I find it rather entertaining lol. Haters gonna hate;)
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Is it bad that I'm not shocked stuff like this happens? lol. Also, reading that first quote from the book ... Uhhh, is the entire book written like that? :|
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

However, these characters are actually described as Black in the books. For example:

[quote="The Hunger Games"]And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.King-Kai

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there.The Hunger Games

Dark brown skin could denote Indian heritage, too. Seems to me you're a bit racist in assuming that dark brown == black.

But... casting was screwed up here, anyway. The actress who plays Katniss should have darker skin, because her character spent most of her time outdoors hunting.

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 King-Kai

The only weird thing about her being black is the fact that her sister, the main character, isn't. It confused the hell out of me.kris9031998

Whose sister? Rue's?

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 King-Kai

[QUOTE="King-Kai"]However, these characters are actually described as Black in the books. For example:

[quote="The Hunger Games"]And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.OrkHammer007

Dark brown skin could denote Indian heritage, too. Seems to me you're a bit racist in assuming that dark brown == black.

But... casting was screwed up here, anyway. The actress who plays Katniss should have darker skin, because her character spent most of her time outdoors hunting.

Considering the fact that Suzzane Collins - the author of the books - is American, and the fact that Blacks have a historical presence in America, it is safe to assume that the characters are intended to be Black, not indian. In America, dark brown skin == Black.

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 King-Kai

[QUOTE="King-Kai"]

AussieePet

Don't leave us!

I'm back.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
You have race issues BRHD.Charazani
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

People have too much time on their hands if they're mad over characters in a fictional book not being portrayed right.

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 King-Kai

[QUOTE="Charazani"]You have race issues BRHD.Deihjan

GTFO.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihjan"][QUOTE="Charazani"]You have race issues BRHD.King-Kai

GTFO.

Lulz
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="King-Kai"]However, these characters are actually described as Black in the books. For example:

[quote="The Hunger Games"]And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.King-Kai

Considering the fact that Suzzane Collins - the author of the books - is American, and the fact that Blacks have a historical presence in America, it is safe to assume that the characters are intended to be Black, not indian. In America, dark brown skin == Black.

or Native American, or East Indian.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

[QUOTE="King-Kai"]

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]Dark brown skin could denote Indian heritage, too. Seems to me you're a bit racist in assuming that dark brown == black.

Nibroc420

Or Mexican, or just really tan, or hispanic. Dark Skin doesn't always mean black.

Especially since the the author is white, who is to say what she thinks is dark brown? dark brown to her could just mean a dark tan.

I personally thought they were black from the description, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Although I do think it's racist that the person said why do all the good characters have to be black.

I honestly thought Cinna was a white dude. He reminded me on Simon Cowell in the book wearing v necks and whatever. But when I saw the picture of him I was like... what the heck, this is not what I expected. But whatever, he played the part pretty well. I even heard that he was originally going to be played by a white guy, but Lenny Kravitz played the part so well that he got it.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Really think there are bigger issues in the world than the casting of a silly movie.....LJS9502_basic
yes like the ending of mass effect 3

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I hate racist peoples

AussieePet

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 King-Kai

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="King-Kai"]

gotdangit

Or Mexican, or just really tan, or hispanic. Dark Skin doesn't always mean black.

Especially since the the author is white, who is to say what she thinks is dark brown? dark brown to her could just mean a dark tan.

I personally thought they were black from the description, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Although I do think it's racist that the person said why do all the good characters have to be black.

I honestly thought Cinna was a white dude. He reminded me on Simon Cowell in the book wearing v necks and whatever. But when I saw the picture of him I was like... what the heck, this is not what I expected. But whatever, he played the part pretty well. I even heard that he was originally going to be played by a white guy, but Lenny Kravitz played the part so well that he got it.

Here is a transcription of an interview in which the author of the books - Suzanne Collins - says that the characters, Thresh and Rue, are African American.

[quote="Interviewer"]Thresh and Rue.Suzanne Collins

They're African American.

So, there you have it.

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Really think there are bigger issues in the world than the casting of a silly movie.....TheShadowLord07

yes like the ending of mass effect 3

The Gallian Liberation Front for me.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

There were like 5 black people in that entire movie which was overwhelmingly white. I'm not calling the movie racist, but to try and say you're disappointed that ANYBODY was black in that movie is kinda sad.

Get over it.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] or Native American, or East Indian.King-Kai

Here is a transcription of an interview in which the author of the books - Suzanne Collins - says that the characters, Thresh and Rue, are African American.

[quote="Interviewer"]Thresh and Rue.Suzanne Collins

They're African American.

So, there you have it.

I already told you I thought they were, but do you really think that everyone fan of the book especially the people that wrote these twits read that article?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
black character played by black actor. Stop the presses!
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
That those people who made those racists comments are idiots.
Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hubadubalubahu
Member since 2005 • 1081 Posts
*facepalm* You have to wonder about these people's reading comprehension skills if they can't accurately picture a character based on a, albeit lackluster, blatant description. Then to get angry when the movie doesn't depict the white version of the character in your mind... just laughable ignorance.
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
People hate black people because they thought a character in a movie was going to be white? I have to rethink my whole view on this...
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
And why is this news? Who cares?