R. Senator Tom Coburn attempts to remove the NFL from it's tax exempt status.

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
[QUOTE="Makhaidos"]Who in their right mind could look at the NFL and go, "Yep, that's a non-profit organization"? thegerg
Someone that knows that an NPO is and understands how the NFL works.

What would I possibly know about NPO's? I only have a degree in social work. :|
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Makhaidos
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Someone that knows that an NPO is and understands how the NFL works.

What would I possibly know about NPO's? I only have a degree in social work. :|

Why are you asking me?

Because you clearly seem to know more than I do about the subject, since you seem to believe the NFL is an NPO. So please, as someone who actually works with NPOs, tell me what an NPO is, because the NFL is so fvcking not an NPO.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178874 Posts
[QUOTE="Makhaidos"]Who in their right mind could look at the NFL and go, "Yep, that's a non-profit organization"? thegerg
Someone that knows that an NPO is and understands how the NFL works.

LOL the NFL is not non profit.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Libertarians are hilarious.Person0
Its sad/scary how many there are though.

There really isn't that many. They're just really loud because they're 17.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Makhaidos
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Why are you asking me?

Because you clearly seem to know more than I do about the subject, since you seem to believe the NFL is an NPO. So please, as someone who actually works with NPOs, tell me what an NPO is, because the NFL is so fvcking not an NPO.

It's classified as a 501(c) organization, which is a non-profit.

Yes, and the whole point of this debate is: does it deserve its 501(c) designation? Now please explain to me how it does.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Makhaidos
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"][QUOTE="thegerg"] It's classified as a 501(c) organization, which is a non-profit.

Yes, and the whole point of this debate is: does it deserve its 501(c) designation? Now please explain to me how it does.

I'm simply talking about facts here. The NFL is, simply and unarguably, a nonprofit organization. If you feel otherwise, maybe you should explain why it isn't.

One pretty big reason has to do with the whole "profit" aspect of the NFL.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Makhaidos
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"][QUOTE="thegerg"] I'm simply talking about facts here. The NFL is, simply and unarguably, a nonprofit organization. If you feel otherwise, maybe you should explain why it isn't.

One pretty big reason has to do with the whole "profit" aspect of the NFL.

The NFL is hardly the only nonprofit that makes money.

And how many of those nonprofits make billions of dollars a year? The only one I can think of is the Catholic Church.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Makhaidos"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"] One pretty big reason has to do with the whole "profit" aspect of the NFL.

The NFL is hardly the only nonprofit that makes money.

And how many of those nonprofits make billions of dollars a year? The only one I can think of is the Catholic Church.

Uh FYI.....the local churches in the US do not make billions of dollars. Most aren't wealthy at all. Vatican City is a government and thus different...and also not in the US.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
ITT: People have no idea what they're talking about.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="famicommander"] The only time I've used any government "service" has been when government has outlawed any possible alternative. I was coerced into using them.Master_Live
Stay off the roads....no one is forcing you to use them. Make sure you don't call police and fire or ambulance if applicable when necessary.

So you agree the government has created a monopoly in roads construction, police, fire department? He has been coerced?

You can build as many roads as you want on your own property. Plus most road construction is done by private firms contracted by the government. Also, you can hire private security if you don't want to utilize the police force. Can't say I've ever heard of private firefighters, but I'm guessing there's not much profit in it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="famicommander"] It's not "people" in the broad sense, but a specific group of persons. Generally, the most amoral and corrupt persons a society has to offer. Just because a particular group of persons has won the approval (or indifference, or bitter acceptance) of a majority of people in a given area doesn't mean it's okay for them to commit robbery or murder or kidnapping.famicommander
Depends on the country.....here where I live the people do have a say...so if corruption is in government they are partly to blame in general...not specific individuals.

There is no such thing as a government free of corruption. To expect such a thing would be to expect a square to be round. Government is in essence an institution of pure force, and just because they can gain a democratic majority of support in their use of force does not make it legitimate. Adolph Hitler was elected democratically. Everything he did was legal, but nobody would argue with a straight face that what he did was legitimate. You're essentially just arguing for majoritarianism, and majoritarianism is always destructive to minority groups.

No, he was not. He lost the only election he ever ran in. Frankly presenting something as false as this as a truth undermines your entire argument here. (You also fail by Godwin'ing the topic in the first place.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#118 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

This thread just gave me cancer.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts
[QUOTE="Makhaidos"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"] What would I possibly know about NPO's? I only have a degree in social work. :|

Why are you asking me?

You're using NPO as a universal term. It's not. There are NPOs like Red Cross, Salvation Army, and churches. They are in the business of helping others. Then there are NPO like the NFL and other companies. Essentially, the NFL does not make a profit. The teams and the players do. The teams and players are separate from the NFL. Whatever money the NFL makes of licensing and TV, is funneled back to the owners with revenue sharing. I work in DC. One of the companies on the contract I work on is called Battelle. They are a non-profit. Whatever profit they make is funneled back to the employees. They give bonuses and match yearly 401k contributions at the end of the year in order to maintain their non-profit status. But they are a company that makes money and that is their goal. Does that make sense?
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

^ sounds like a corporation.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="famicommander"]The only time I've used any government "service" has been when government has outlawed any possible alternative. I was coerced into using them.Master_Live
Stay off the roads....no one is forcing you to use them. Make sure you don't call police and fire or ambulance if applicable when necessary.

So you agree the government has created a monopoly in roads construction, police, fire department? He has been coerced?

The governement does not have a monopoly on roads as seen by the private high speed toll road in Texas. He could use said road, but he would have to pay to do so. In this case, a private entity built a portion of the road and owns said portion of the road it built up to the portion of the road that the state built, after that, he would have to purchase fuel in order to "pay" to use that portion of the road. 

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

No, they would make around the same. The league itself may be tax-exempt, but the teams are not. And what's the problem with the players making millions anyway? Why should they not make as much money as possible at it?

Master_Live

When people throwing a ball around are making more money than astro physicists, doctors etc... seems like a pretty piss poor incentive structure for society to me.

I think everyone can agree if all the kids aspiring to be professional athletes were instead aspiring to be engineers, scientists, and doctors... that would probably be alot more beneficial.

\ So how would you fix this?

Easy, defund highschool sports programs in favor of math/science classes. The fact that alot of public schools allocate more funding to their football program than their science program is troubling.

EDIT: after all when it comes to tax dollars im willing to bet any study would conclude that money spent towards althetic programs probably has the worst return on investment in terms of future generated tax dollars to tax dollars invested vs any other school program. The fact this crap still gets funded and in such a large capacity is just asanine.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 slateman_basic

^ sounds like a corporation.

mahlasor

No. Corporations make and keep profits and have shareholders.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 slateman_basic

[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

When people throwing a ball around are making more money than astro physicists, doctors etc... seems like a pretty piss poor incentive structure for society to me.

I think everyone can agree if all the kids aspiring to be professional athletes were instead aspiring to be engineers, scientists, and doctors... that would probably be alot more beneficial.

BeardMaster

\ So how would you fix this?

Easy, defund highschool sports programs in favor of math/science classes. The fact that alot of public schools allocate more funding to their football program than their science program is troubling.

EDIT: after all when it comes to tax dollars im willing to bet any study would conclude that money spent towards althetic programs probably has the worst return on investment in terms of future generated tax dollars to tax dollars invested vs any other school program. The fact this crap still gets funded and in such a large capacity is just asanine.

Actually, quite the opposite. Studies have shown that kids who are involved in school athletics and other extra-curricular activities are more likely to not be involved in criminal activities and are more likely to finish high school. Athletes get paid based upon what they produce. Professional athletes are in the 99.9 percentile amongst all athletes in the world. They are paid accordingly. The same is true of businessmen and investors. And, no doubt, the top .1% of engineers, computer programs, doctors, and physicists get paid a stupid amount of money. They're usually the ones that work for massive corporations such as big pharma or Lockheed Martin.
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

I don't think it matters anyway.  It's not like those tax dollars will go to help poverty anyway.  Maybe this one Republican finally figured out how to make more money for the U.S Army.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]I wasn't aware they were tax exempt. On what grounds are they? I would like to hear the reasoning. HoolaHoopMan

the reasoning is that they "reinvest" the money back into the association by paying rent, officiating fees, and salaries to various NFL chairmen (I believe one guy got paid 31 million dollars last year).

while the NFLs 32 teams bring in a combined $9.5 billion in annual revenue, the league office calls itself a trade association promoting interests of its 32 member clubs. This is a bit likeMcDonalds (MCD) calling itself a trade association promoting the interests of its 14,000 U.S. restaurants. The key difference is that the NFL distributes all its revenue back to the teamsafter covering expenses such as rent, officiating crews, and Commissioner Roger Goodells $30 million salary.

It is on the same grounds as this:

The NFL qualifies as a 501(c)(6), a nonprofit category that includes chambers of commerce, trade groups, real estate boards, and a handful of other sports leagues.

So a non profit is making fvcking ridiculous profits. Am I alone in seeing how strange that is?

They aren't making a profit. 

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

the reasoning is that they "reinvest" the money back into the association by paying rent, officiating fees, and salaries to various NFL chairmen (I believe one guy got paid 31 million dollars last year).

while the NFLs 32 teams bring in a combined $9.5 billion in annual revenue, the league office calls itself a trade association promoting interests of its 32 member clubs. This is a bit likeMcDonalds (MCD) calling itself a trade association promoting the interests of its 14,000 U.S. restaurants. The key difference is that the NFL distributes all its revenue back to the teamsafter covering expenses such as rent, officiating crews, and Commissioner Roger Goodells $30 million salary.

It is on the same grounds as this:

The NFL qualifies as a 501(c)(6), a nonprofit category that includes chambers of commerce, trade groups, real estate boards, and a handful of other sports leagues.

SpartanMSU

So a non profit is making fvcking ridiculous profits. Am I alone in seeing how strange that is?

The NFL doesn't make a profit?  Satan must be real as well.  

Forgive me father for I've sinned.  I doubted the almighty NFL and am scared I will pay the price.  Please forgive me for living in near poverty while the players make millions and the leagues laugh at Governments and their tax dollars.  I know we were all part of your plan but WTF?   Thank you jesus.....Amen

Where are the people that live in the real world?  Why do we make crap like this so hard?   People are hungry!

ManInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 ManInFlames
Member since 2013 • 434 Posts
[QUOTE="slateman_basic"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Why are you asking me?

You're using NPO as a universal term. It's not. There are NPOs like Red Cross, Salvation Army, and churches. They are in the business of helping others. Then there are NPO like the NFL and other companies. Essentially, the NFL does not make a profit. The teams and the players do. The teams and players are separate from the NFL. Whatever money the NFL makes of licensing and TV, is funneled back to the owners with revenue sharing. I work in DC. One of the companies on the contract I work on is called Battelle. They are a non-profit. Whatever profit they make is funneled back to the employees. They give bonuses and match yearly 401k contributions at the end of the year in order to maintain their non-profit status. But they are a company that makes money and that is their goal. Does that make sense?

Then why isn't the MLB tax exempt?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

....wow sports orginizations are tax excempt? thats insane...why?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

....wow sports orginizations are tax excempt? thats insane...why?

thegerg
Because they operate as NPOs. Try reading the thread next time.

And that status can....and should...be changed. Here's hoping it is. FYI...the NFL does earn a profit yearly.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Because they operate as NPOs. Try reading the thread next time.

And that status can....and should...be changed. Here's hoping it is. FYI...the NFL does earn a profit yearly.

Maybe I'm missing the issue here. I have yet to see why they should be disallowed to retain such a status other then the argument that it brings in a lot of money.

You know the reason why they created that right? It wasn't because they were an NPO.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Maybe I'm missing the issue here. I have yet to see why they should be disallowed to retain such a status other then the argument that it brings in a lot of money.

You know the reason why they created that right? It wasn't because they were an NPO.

Why they created what?

They status.....and I take that as a no.
EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Why they created what?thegerg
They status.....and I take that as a no.

They status? The NFL became an NPO because they weren't an NPO? ...ok... That has nothing to do with my question. Please try again.

I think what's confusing people here is that while the organization itself is an NPO, its really hard to believe that since the players and some of the employees (coaches and team managers) make a lot of money. The words "non-profit organzation" make people think that absolutely no one affiliated with the organization makes any money out of it. The NFL itself doesn't really make a profit, but the players and employees sure do. All that is needed for it to be an NPO is if the organization doesn't make a profit; how much the players and employees make doesn't matter.

Does that help?

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] So a non profit is making fvcking ridiculous profits. Am I alone in seeing how strange that is? Mikey132

Forgive me father for I've sinned.  I doubted the almighty NFL and am scared I will pay the price.  Please forgive me for living in near poverty while the players make millions and the leagues laugh at Governments and their tax dollars.  I know we were all part of your plan but WTF?   Thank you jesus.....Amen

Where are the people that live in the real world?  Why do we make crap like this so hard?   People are hungry!

They do not make a profit, hence the "NPO" designation.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

SpartanMSU

Not true......
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Makhaidos

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

thegerg

Not true......

How much profit did the NFL make last year?

About 9 billion dollars.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

thegerg
Not true......

How much profit did the NFL make last year?

Google is your friend.... The NFL that raked in $184 million from its 32 member teams, holds over $1 billion in assets and generates an estimated $9 billion annually. Why on earth would they be tax-exempt?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Makhaidos"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] How much profit did the NFL make last year?thegerg

About 9 billion dollars.

Where did you find that number?

Obviously he confused it with revenue since he doesn't know what profit is.