R. Senator Tom Coburn attempts to remove the NFL from it's tax exempt status.

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn introduced a bill yesterday that would strip the National Football League of its tax-exempt status. The PRO Sports Act proposed by the Republican lawmaker would prohibit professional sports organizations with annual revenue of more than $10 million from filing as nonprofit organizations. In addition to the NFL, the bill would also change the status of the National Hockey League, golfs PGA Tour, and the ATP World Tour in tennis, among other professional sports groups.

Wondering how an organization charging $2,600 for Super Bowl tickets qualifies for tax exemptions in the first place? Its a good question. The NFL qualifies as a 501(c)(6), a nonprofit category that includes chambers of commerce, trade groups, real estate boards, and a handful of other sports leagues. The National Basketball Association is a for-profit organization, and Major League Baseball gave up its exempt status in 2007.

When Congress granted an antitrust exemption in 1966 that allowed the NFL to merge with the AFL, lawmakers added professional football leagues to the statute to ensure the new league would qualify. So while the NFLs 32 teams bring in a combined $9.5 billion in annual revenue, the league office calls itself a trade association promoting interests of its 32 member clubs. This is a bit likeMcDonalds (MCD) calling itself a trade association promoting the interests of its 14,000 U.S. restaurants. The key difference is that the NFL distributes all its revenue back to the teamsafter covering expenses such as rent, officiating crews, and Commissioner Roger Goodells $30 million salary.

Tax earmarks are essentially tax increases for everyone who doesnt receive the benefit, Coburn said in his press release proposing to tax Americas most popular sport. In this case, working Americans are paying artificially high rates in order to subsidize special breaks for sports leagues. This is hardly fair. The NFL did not respond to requests for comment.

Coburn, whose home state is without an NFL team, tried to close the sports-league loophole earlier this year in an amendment to the Marketplace Fairness Act. The bill passed the Senate, but Coburns amendment never came up for a vote. Now hes trying again with a standalone bill. A spokesman for the senator said Coburn has failed to find a co-sponsor despite extensive outreach to his colleagues.

Its unclear how much the bill would add to the tax bill for the NFL and other leagues. MLB reported that its shift away from nonprofit status was tax-neutral. Last year, in his annual catalog of government pork, Coburn estimated that the change could generate at least $91 million of federal revenue every year from the NHL and NFL alone.

Article

Interesting, I don't really follow sports so I was unaware that these organizations were tax exempt. I personally don't see any reason why they are exempt from taxes, but what do you guys think? Should this pass?

I would assume that it won't pass, but personally I believe it should.

Link

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

It should pass. It's bad enough that these bone heads get paid millions just to throw balls around. They don't deserve tax exemptions. For those of you saying that my argument is balls because the league and not the players are tax exempt, consider the fact that the players would obviously "earn" less money if the league is taxed. 

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58441 Posts

omfg, the NFL is tax exempt? I had no idea, that is insane.

Hell yeah, charge those mofos.  Charge them double for all the taxes they should have been paying.

This is surprising coming from a republican, nice to see smart taxes appreciated by a republican.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25

It should pass. It's bad enough that these bone heads get paid millions just to throw balls around. They don't deserve tax exemptions.

BluRayHiDef

I think the players get taxed.  I think it is the NFL association itself that does not

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

It should pass. It's bad enough that these bone heads get paid millions just to throw balls around. They don't deserve tax exemptions.

mrbojangles25

I think the players get taxed.  I think it is the NFL association itself that does not

Well, it's all part of the same system. I'm pretty sure that if the NFL was taxed, the players would "earn" less money.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I wasn't aware they were tax exempt. On what grounds are they? I would like to hear the reasoning.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

woo

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25

I wasn't aware they were tax exempt. On what grounds are they? I would like to hear the reasoning. HoolaHoopMan

the reasoning is that they "reinvest" the money back into the association by paying rent, officiating fees, and salaries to various NFL chairmen (I believe one guy got paid 31 million dollars last year).

while the NFLs 32 teams bring in a combined $9.5 billion in annual revenue, the league office calls itself a trade association promoting interests of its 32 member clubs. This is a bit likeMcDonalds (MCD) calling itself a trade association promoting the interests of its 14,000 U.S. restaurants. The key difference is that the NFL distributes all its revenue back to the teamsafter covering expenses such as rent, officiating crews, and Commissioner Roger Goodells $30 million salary.

It is on the same grounds as this:

The NFL qualifies as a 501(c)(6), a nonprofit category that includes chambers of commerce, trade groups, real estate boards, and a handful of other sports leagues.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]I wasn't aware they were tax exempt. On what grounds are they? I would like to hear the reasoning. mrbojangles25

the reasoning is that they "reinvest" the money back into the association by paying rent, officiating fees, and salaries to various NFL chairmen (I believe one guy got paid 31 million dollars last year).

while the NFLs 32 teams bring in a combined $9.5 billion in annual revenue, the league office calls itself a trade association promoting interests of its 32 member clubs. This is a bit likeMcDonalds (MCD) calling itself a trade association promoting the interests of its 14,000 U.S. restaurants. The key difference is that the NFL distributes all its revenue back to the teamsafter covering expenses such as rent, officiating crews, and Commissioner Roger Goodells $30 million salary.

The NFL qualifies as a 501(c)(6), a nonprofit category that includes chambers of commerce, trade groups, real estate boards, and a handful of other sports leagues.

Are their many non-profits that pay out $30 Million salaries? Sounds like someone's profiting from it to me.
Protoford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Protoford
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
About time.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]I wasn't aware they were tax exempt. On what grounds are they? I would like to hear the reasoning. Crunchy_Nuts

Are their many non-profits that pay out $30 Million salaries? Sounds like someone's profiting from it to me.

that is the beauty of non-profits, they can be very profitable lol.

there are some various technicalities, but so long as your company does not make a profit, you can reinvest whatever money you make as you see fit; and that means reinvesting it into your wallet as well.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

This is surprising coming from a republican, nice to see smart taxes appreciated by a republican.

mrbojangles25

I was also thinking this. I can't remember the last time I heard a story where a relatively well known republican was for supporting something that in effect brings in tax revenue.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]I wasn't aware they were tax exempt. On what grounds are they? I would like to hear the reasoning. mrbojangles25

So a non profit is making fvcking ridiculous profits. Am I alone in seeing how strange that is?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Odd that a republican would be pushing for that.  Lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

BluRayHiDef

You're an idiot. The players aren't tax exempt. The LEAGUE is.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts
Lol NFL
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
I don't think they should be tax exempt...it's disgusting that they are.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Sounds good. Absolutely no legitimate reason they should be exempt. 

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6957 Posts

Chasing nickels.

The league is tax exempt. The teams are not. The players are not.

It is only the administrative costs of running the league itself that are tax exempt.

Still not fair and should be rectified, but the large majority of money that goes into the NFL is subject to tax through the teams and players.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44638 Posts
great news, go after the NCAA next, non-profit my ass
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25

great news, go after the NCAA next, non-profit my asslamprey263

college sports should be abolished, there is absolutely no reason they should exist as they currently do.

if they want to run them like they do high school sports, that'd be fine, but as a business that is wrong.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44638 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Serraph105

I was also thinking this. I can't remember the last time I heard a story where a relatively well known republican was for supporting something that in effect brings in tax revenue.

or maybe it's his way of saying "hey we keep your taxes down, now contribute to our campaigns to elect new house and senate leaders or this tax break will be gone for good"
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]great news, go after the NCAA next, non-profit my assmrbojangles25

college sports should be abolished, there is absolutely no reason they should exist as they currently do.

if they want to run them like they do high school sports, that'd be fine, but as a business that is wrong.

That South Park episode, Crack Baby Athletic Association, really nailed it. 

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

Well, it's all part of the same system. I'm pretty sure that if the NFL was taxed, the players would "earn" less money.

Why do you want players to earn less money? Never understood why people get so made that athletes make money
dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Wow, I had no idea, definitely tax them.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
While I would support this bill it wont be passed easily. The NFL has some well paid lawyers, lobbyists, and accountants.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

No, they would make around the same. The league itself may be tax-exempt, but the teams are not. And what's the problem with the players making millions anyway? Why should they not make as much money as possible at it?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] 

worlock77

No, they would make around the same. The league itself may be tax-exempt, but the teams are not. And what's the problem with the players making millions anyway? Why should they not make as much money as possible at it?

agreed, they make as much money as we want them to lol.  When we don't want them to make so much money, we will stop buying tickets, buying their jerseys, and buying the products they endorse.

Supply and demand [and endorsement]

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_bi99man

While I would support this bill it wont be passed easily. The NFL has some well paid lawyers, lobbyists, and accountants.Diablo-B

Not to mention that the government itself wants the NFL to remain the massive, bloated, attention-grabbing spectacle that it is. A well fed and entertained society will never rebel, no matter how bad things get otherwise. The ancient roman rulers called it "bread and circuses". Modern day America calls it welfare and professional sports.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
You mess with football, people will start to get pissed up.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrbojangles25

You mess with football, people will start to get pissed up. Master_Live

bah, bring back the XFL!

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
We're not taxing the NFL? :lol: No wonder our country has no money - we're taxing all the wrong things and making taxable goods illegal.
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

American football sucks anyways. Tax that crap.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

So the government can have more money to waste away?  How about no.  

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 worlock77

So the government can have more money to waste away?  How about no.  

hoola

Do you have a good argument as to why the NFL should be tax-exempt other than "gub'ment sucks"?

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"] 

worlock77

When people throwing a ball around are making more money than astro physicists, doctors etc... seems like a pretty piss poor incentive structure for society to me.

I think everyone can agree if all the kids aspiring to be professional athletes were instead aspiring to be engineers, scientists, and doctors... that would probably be alot more beneficial.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
The NFL is tax exempt? For what reason is the association of the U.S's biggest and most popular sport tax exempt :?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#39 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41567 Posts
How in the hell does stuff like this get exemptions?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"] Well, it's all part of the same system. I'm pretty sure that if the NFL was taxed, the players would "earn" less money.

BeardMaster

When people throwing a ball around are making more money than astro physicists, doctors etc... seems like a pretty piss poor incentive structure for society to me.

I think everyone can agree if all the kids aspiring to be professional athletes were instead aspiring to be engineers, scientists, and doctors... that would probably be alot more beneficial.

The shortage of scientists and engineers in this country isn't because of pro athletes. 

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

The NFL being tax exempt is absolutely absurd.  Way overdue.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#42 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
NFL is a profit business, so yeah it should be taxed.
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I would be surprised if it is passed.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Chasing nickels.

The league is tax exempt. The teams are not. The players are not.

It is only the administrative costs of running the league itself that are tax exempt.

Still not fair and should be rectified, but the large majority of money that goes into the NFL is subject to tax through the teams and players.

SUD123456

^

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

The shortage of scientists and engineers in this country isn't because of pro athletes. 

This is also true.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I am okay with this.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50632 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

Ya, no. They'd pass it down to the customers. Also, **** Roger Goodell.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
it seems crazy that they are exempt in the first place..