OT Do you consider calling someone of German descent a Nazi to be a racial slur?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#51 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I wouldn't call it an ethnic slur (since it has nothing to do with physical features and was not used as a derogatory term in the past). We throw around "grammar Nazi" or "soup Nazi" or "bus Nazi" all the time. But what's wrong is assuming everyone from Germany is a Nazi. Say the republicans (or democrats, whatever floats yer boat) committed a bunch of crimes against the people, people wouldn't refer to or lump all Americans into that party. That's just stupid.

I would say Nazi is even less offensive than "kraut", in terms of just name calling.

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 -Big_Red-
Member since 2006 • 7230 Posts
They call you the N word? You should pound each one of them. Do you know where your people came from? Its not just a word its much...much more.MgamerBD
They're just kidding. Just like most white people don't mind it when you call them the C word, or the Y word. Plus most of my friends said that they would shoot me if I were to ever fight them. Soooo...... Yeah.....
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="Sharpie125"]

I wouldn't call it an ethnic slur (since it has nothing to do with physical features and was not used as a derogatory term in the past). We throw around "grammar Nazi" or "soup Nazi" or "bus Nazi" all the time. But what's wrong is assuming everyone from Germany is a Nazi. Say the republicans (or democrats, whatever floats yer boat) committed a bunch of crimes against the people, people wouldn't refer to or lump all Americans into that party. That's just stupid.

I would say Nazi is even less offensive than "kraut", in terms of just name calling.

Im pretty sure that if civil war broke out in America between Republicans, and democrats, and the Republican commited atrocious war crimes, and exterminated groups of people then im almost positive that foreigners would come up with republican themed slurs targeted at Americans. I know tht this would never happen but I'm just trying to make a point.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]They call you the N word? You should pound each one of them. Do you know where your people came from? Its not just a word its much...much more.-Big_Red-
They're just kidding. Just like most white people don't mind it when you call them the C word, or the Y word. Plus most of my friends said that they would shoot me if I were to ever fight them. Soooo...... Yeah.....

Its cool...To each his own. I'm not gonna lecture you over this. Your life, your decision. Anyway Nazi is a racial slur. Just like when you call the Japanense "Japs" etc.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
Where I'm from there's so many people of german decent that it wouldn't really mean anything to anyone... it's not a very funny joke though.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"][QUOTE="MgamerBD"]They call you the N word? You should pound each one of them. Do you know where your people came from? Its not just a word its much...much more.MgamerBD

Its cool...To each his own. I'm not gonna lecture you over this. Your life, your decision. Anyway Nazi is a racial slur. Just like when you call the Japanense "Japs" etc.

I guess it's how you look at it. There were alot of good Germans during WWII who hid Nazi targets in their home. But tey go almost unrecognized o sme people. An I know about the origins of the N word and all that. It's just not something that im willing to get pissed off about.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

No... it's not a racial slur. The word you are looking for is "ethnophaulism". And yes, it is derogatory.

Thank goodness for my Intro to Ethnic Studies class as a freshman!

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#58 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

nope i call my half german brother in law that all the time

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="BMD004"]

No... it's not a racial slur. The word you are looking for is "ethnophaulism". And yes, it is derogatory.

Thank goodness for my Intro to Ethnic Studies class as a freshman!

Ethnophaulism... Never heard of it.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I don't know if I'd call that girl a Nazi. I might call her a plumper though.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 BMD004

Sharpie125
Germans can be considered an ethnic group. They share a common culture.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 -Big_Red-
You call that thing "cute"? She's really ugly dude...  lol_haha_dead
You're the first person that I've seen call her ugly. But to each his own.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="scorch-62"]How does that entail race, like, AT ALL?way2funny

You are implying you are better than a nazi (someone of the ayrian race or whatever). Which is the definition of racism, thinking your race or a group of races is better than another.

The term "Nazi" never referred to Germans because of their nationality... at least not correctly. It referred to people who were part of the Nazi party and their military.

To the TC- I don't think that calling someone a "Nazi" can be considered a racial slur any more than calling an American a "Republican" is. Of course, the term Nazi carries a heavy stigma, but I tend to look beyond that stuff.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 BMD004

Sharpie125

But Nazi is a "bad" word. Remember when people a few years back started saying "that's jewish".. or "don't be a jew". That is derogatory because people are actually Jewish and you are putting them down. But German's aren't Nazi's. Calling somebody a grammar Nazi isn't calling THEM a Nazi in the same way you'd call a German a Nazi. Same word, different meanings.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Sharpie125"]

BMD004

But Nazi is a "bad" word. Remember when people a few years back started saying "that's jewish".. or "don't be a jew". That is derogatory because people are actually Jewish and you are putting them down. But German's aren't Nazi's. Calling somebody a grammar Nazi isn't calling THEM a Nazi in the same way you'd call a German a Nazi. Same word, different meanings.

Regardless of what stigma has been attached to the term by the ignorant public, the term "Nazi" referred to members of a political party and the forces serving under them. Yes, they are known as butchers and horrible people in general, and of course there is a lot of truth to that. However, in black and white terms calling someone a Nazi is like calling them a Republican or a Democrat.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="Sharpie125"]

hartsickdiscipl

Regardless of what stigma has been attached to the term by the ignorant public, the term "Nazi" referred to members of a political party and the forces serving under them. Yes, they are known as butchers and horrible people in general, and of course there is a lot of truth to that. However, in black and white terms calling someone a Nazi is like calling them a Republican or a Democrat.

That is well beside the point. That is what the term meant when it was ONLY a political party, but welcome to 70 years later.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"] But Nazi is a "bad" word. Remember when people a few years back started saying "that's jewish".. or "don't be a jew". That is derogatory because people are actually Jewish and you are putting them down. But German's aren't Nazi's. Calling somebody a grammar Nazi isn't calling THEM a Nazi in the same way you'd call a German a Nazi. Same word, different meanings.

BMD004

That is well beside the point. That is what the term meant when it was ONLY a political party, but welcome to 70 years later.

I'll look past the stigma to the facts.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#68 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

That's using a political party name to degrade a nationality, so no it's obviously not a racial slur.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Yes

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

as long as your friend understands that its a joke and it doesnt offend her then id probably let it go, the jew killer line though...is in bad taste, im part german and i can take a joke and if someone called me a nazi jokingly id laugh about it lol

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
It might be offensive what your friends did was indeed offensive. It's true the nazi's did some horrible stuff, but as humanity we are all trying to forget the past and move on, no point in having a grudge for something that happened years ago. No nation in the whole earth is free of sin or mistakes. No one has the right to judge you by the past of your people, in fact no one has the right to judge you at all.....perhaps a judge but you get the point
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Whatever you do, just don't piss the Germans off. Seriously, we did it twice and the consequences really weren't that pretty.

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 -Big_Red-

Whatever you do, just don't piss the Germans off. Seriously, we did it twice and the consequences really weren't that pretty.

Sagem28
I think the second time we just pissed off the WRONG German. (Adolf)
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
yeah calling anyone German a Nazi is of course a racial slur. You wouldnt call a Russian a Communist would you? :|
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Considering most germans aren't exactly proud of that part of their history, I they find it offensive in general to be refered to as such.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
It's a little bit creepy that you felt the urge to post her picture. Anyway I'm Jewish, and I would think it highly offensive to call a German a "Jew-killer" unless they really were a Nazi. I equate this to all the times that I've been called a "Christ-killer". My usual response: "**** Jesus".
iAmOffend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 iAmOffend
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts

Pic seems unnecessary

RobboElRobbo
"pics or it didn't happen", get with the program.
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
I believe that insults like these are of the worst kind. When they are said in my presence I tend to get very hostile.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

-Big_Red-

He just got them mobilized.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I believe that would be a stereotype.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
They call you the N word? You should pound each one of them. Do you know where your people came from? Its not just a word its much...much more.MgamerBD
Even though the blacks call themselves the n word? Double Standards.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 -Big_Red-
It's a little bit creepy that you felt the urge to post her picture. Anyway I'm Jewish, and I would think it highly offensive to call a German a "Jew-killer" unless they really were a Nazi. I equate this to all the times that I've been called a "Christ-killer". My usual response: "**** Jesus".jalexbrown
:|.... You're not relly helping you cause if you say that. Just saying.[QUOTE="iAmOffend"][QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

Pic seems unnecessary

"pics or it didn't happen", get with the program.

I know right :P.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"][QUOTE="Sagem28"]

He just got them mobilized.

True. But you don't wantto piss off someone who can get other people who are pissed off mobilized.
-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]They call you the N word? You should pound each one of them. Do you know where your people came from? Its not just a word its much...much more.l4dak47
Even though the blacks call themselves the n word? Double Standards.

Yeah, thats why I don't really care if im called the N word, black people call me the N word all the time.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I don't know about racist, but it's horrible. Just because some germans were nazis doesn't mean they all were, or are today. It's absolutely offensive and I'm not even german. It's just as bad as assuming every muslim is a terrorist, when clearly they aren't.
mywalletsgone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mywalletsgone
Member since 2010 • 1344 Posts

It's not racist at all :lol:

Also black taxi men always stare at me when I go back home because of my master race physical traits. Feels good man. :>

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="mywalletsgone"]

Also black taxi men always stare at me when I go back home because of my master race physical traits. Feels good man. :>

:|.... Master race physical traits.... What?
mywalletsgone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 mywalletsgone

[QUOTE="mywalletsgone"]

-Big_Red-

Blond hair, blue eyes, taller than average, LORDY!!

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

Pic seems unnecessary

-Big_Red-
I agree. Just a little.

NEVAR! anyway, to answer the question, not really
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

When I'm called a Nazi I usually just explain to that person that he obviously doesn't know what that word actually means and that his/her attitude is much more Nazi-like than any thought I ever had.

-Big_Red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 -Big_Red-
[QUOTE="mywalletsgone"]

[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"][QUOTE="mywalletsgone"]

I don't see how thhose are master race physical traits.. But whatever.
mywalletsgone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mywalletsgone

[QUOTE="mywalletsgone"]

[QUOTE="-Big_Red-"] :|.... Master race physical traits.... What?-Big_Red-

I don't see how thhose are master race physical traits.. But whatever.

They are though, it's even documented. Also look up Nordicism. Are you gelatin?

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

Yes. Definatly.

Coming from the U.K and being tied to the European community which Germany is a part of, maybe makes me see this far more offensive than someone slightly more detached from Germany. Someone who might not come into contact with the German people or culture quite as frequently. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she took it to heart. Also lets not forget she might have recent family such as great-grandparents who might have been killed or involved as a concequence of the extreme brainwashing that her country under went.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

As nationality is not race, it would be literally impossible for an insult towards one's nationality to be a racial slur.

GabuEx
They could of called her aryan instead of the political term nazi..
Bashers79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Bashers79
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

People seem to forget that the Nazi's were a political party (very few ofthe WW2 German soldiers were Nazi's), so calling someone of German decent a Nazi isn't a racial slur, it just highlights you as an idiot.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#98 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

She can't help what the Nazis did back in WWII; she wasn't even alive. I understand the joke, but yes, it is an offensive one.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
No. I got in trouble in middle school for dropping an n-bomb on some kid during a fight (but not for actually beating a kid up). My principal asked me how I would feel if someone called me a Mick, and I told him I wouldn't care because its not 1850 and I didn't just walk over to Jersey City from Ellis Island. I'd say German-Americans probably feel similar about being called a Nazi.
mywalletsgone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 mywalletsgone

No. I got in trouble in middle school for dropping an n-bomb on some kid during a fight (but not for actually beating a kid up). My principal asked me how I would feel if someone called me a Mick, and I told him I wouldn't care because its not 1850 and I didn't just walk over to Jersey City from Ellis Island. I'd say German-Americans probably feel similar about being called a Nazi. wstfld

What if he said your ancestors were alcoholics and potato munching scumbags?