One of the best metal albums of 2013 lands in 2 weeks

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Wormed - Exodromos

Click Spoiler for Samples

[spoiler]

This is the most accessible song for the light-eared bastards, I can't embed it :P

Music Video

[/spoiler]

Wormed is a highly regarded death metal band from Spain who hasn't released a full length album since their first album, Planisphaerium, in 2003. Almost a decade later, they've composed another engaging full-length, Exodromos. Without a doubt, Wormed creates some of the most technical and conceptually innovative metal music that any band has to offer.

Fans of metal music shouldn't miss this mind-melting release. It's already floating around the net and the reaction to it appears to be overwhelmingly positive....

"...compositionally the record is close to flawless, the music is exceptionally varied, and the band has evolved this is a bold step forward in death metal, and a nearly perfect record but for the rarest moment of tedium.9/10" - www.globaldomination.se

"I remember when I first heard PlanisphÆrium the first thing I said was These guys are on their way to being the most important brutal death metal band today. Now that Exodromos is here, that statement seems so quaint its practically insulting. This is a 'Buy Or Die' release, without a goddamn doubt. 10/10" -  technicaldeathmetal.com

"I can't stop listening to the album. I haven't been this excited by a release in some time. Each listen brings a huge smile as well as new revelations in the riffs. It is so intricate and full of depth. The songs are perfectly woven to create what is easily not only one of the year's best releases, but one of the genre's best releases in many years. 5/5" - www.stereokiller.com

"Its a confusing experience to trying to sum up: youll probably never catch your postie whistling the likes of Tautochrone, but if youre disposed to the heavier end of metal and want to hear where the rest of the technical death bands are slowly evolving towards, then Exodromos should be high on your list. 5.5/6" - www.thrashhits.com

"Overall, Exodromos is a ridiculously brutal album that also manages to be mind-blowingly unique. Wormed have crafted some of the most alien yet memorable riffs ever, and strung them together to create a stellar album full of masterful songs. Exodromos is clearly one of the best extreme metal releases of the past few years, and a must-listen. 5/5" - heavyblogisheavy.com

"...it is a masterful and supremely confident example of how subtle changes to a conservatively-defined genre can, in the hands of a band who know their craft well, deliver distinctive and exciting results. It is also highly recommended to anyone desperate for interesting, characterful modern Death Metal, even if hyper-speed Technical/Brutal DM isnt normally your thing its not normally mine. 9/10" -destructive-music.com

"But this is really one of those albums where I could point to a section in pretty much every song that will make tech-death fans at least partially tumescent. It really is that f*cking good, and hopefully it wont take them another decade to release album number three.Final Grade: A" - ironhops.com

Are there any other Wormed fans anticipating the release? If you're a fan death metal, you should check it out. In terms of composure, it's as dense as I've heard music get, so I recommend atleast a couple listens before passing judgment.  :)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
How can you call it best when you haven't heard it all?
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
I haven't heard it and I bet it sucks.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it's kinda boring texturally.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime
How can you call it best when you haven't heard it all?LJS9502_basic
I actually have heard it all, but like I said, it isn't officially released. Without it, the two sample tracks are enough to taste the depth of the music. Plus, there are already tons of reviews out by critics who were sent pre-release copies. The average rating is already insanely high (90% at least), and metal critics are extremely picky when it comes to this sub-genre. You can't just merely make a "good" album and have it receive such attention from within the metal community. It's worth pointing out that the musicians in this band could can play circles around most musicians in the genre. There aren't two ways about it - this album contains some of the most technical guitar and drum work that I've ever heard. Their last album, and this new one, both maximize these musician's potential. I can really appreciate when virtuosos band together and patiently write music that taps into all of their potential. It just doesn't happen that often. So unless there are about a dozen other metal bands other there that have been patiently writing their "balls out" album, I highly doubt that this album will be anything other than one of the best of the year.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I've been slacking hard on my metal listening lately but thanks for the heads up. Will give it a spin.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

it's kinda boring texturally. LoG-Sacrament
This is what worried me. I haven't listened to it yet because I was afraid this would happen.

My tops for this year so far are Primitive Man and Rorcal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

Listened to it on youtube just now.. And i still don't understand how some death fans feel metal/deathcore is cheesy/lame vocals. I like the instruments and vibe, but the vocals just destroys it for me, is he actually saying anything or just going Rowwworrrrorreeeeeerorrwwoooorrr.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
it's kinda boring texturally. LoG-Sacrament
Their first release went with a "characteristic" (bad) production that gave it a lot more 'umph' and texture. This new release utilizes clean production to its advantage IMO because it opens up the sound a bit. There is a really good mixture of melodic and dissonant chords mixed into the rapid-fire tremolo and heavy chugging which gives flashes of beauty amongst the chaos. If the production were sh*t, I don't think they could get that sound across as 'accessibly' as they've put it here. If you're talking about the actual music rather than the sound or production, I'm not sure specifically what you're referring to. I find each aspect to be intricately detailed and textured, particularly the guitar work. There's only one guitarist playing, which blows my mind.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Saturos3091

Listened to it on youtube just now.. And i still don't understand how some death fans feel metal/deathcore is cheesy/lame vocals. I like the instruments and vibe, but the vocals just destroys it for me, is he actually saying anything or just going Rowwworrrrorreeeeeerorrwwoooorrr.

FrostyPhantasm

Deathcore Defense Squad...ASSEMBLE!!!

[spoiler]

219331_207118295987554_151360941563290_6 

Nobody is insulting deathcore here. I enjoy some of it myself. Obviously none of the bands that look like this are worth listening to. I can't stand gang vocals though. That's the definition of cheese especially in [mainstream] deathcore where the lyrics are primarily about teeny-bopper relationship tripe.

[/spoiler]

When it comes to BDM you should just accept the rhythmic aspect of the vocals. That's their primary purpose in a large part of the subgenre, although other times they're there for the energy or aggression elements. It completely depends on the band in question's style.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]it's kinda boring texturally. Saturos3091

This is what worried me. I haven't listened to it yet because I was afraid this would happen.

I'll be sure to check those out, I'm eager to take recommendations from someone with Timeghoul in their signature. I think I've already heard much talk about Primitive Man, but definitely haven't heard of Rorcal.

EDIT: The best part about the Wormed album is that the last song takes the melodic stand-out moments in the album and splices them back together into a purely epic-sounding conclusion. I haven't heard any band do this before, yet it's such a basic idea...it has to have been done!

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]it's kinda boring texturally. KHAndAnime
Their first release went with a "characteristic" (bad) production that gave it a lot more 'umph' and texture. This new release utilizes clean production to its advantage IMO because it opens up the sound a bit. There is a really good mixture of melodic and dissonant chords mixed into the rapid-fire tremolo and heavy chugging which gives flashes of beauty amongst the chaos. If the production were sh*t, I don't think they could get that sound across as 'accessibly' as they've put it here. If you're talking about the actual music rather than the sound or production, I'm not sure specifically what you're referring to. I find each aspect to be intricately detailed and textured, particularly the guitar work. There's only one guitarist playing, which blows my mind.

Well from what I heard, the low-end on Exodromos is lacking. The bass' lows are cut for a dominating high end that the guitar tone plays to as well. It makes it appear more beautiful, but I definitely prefer the full-bodied mix of Planisphaerium. I'm going to give Exodromos a full listen, but it was easy to tell the direction they were moving in after Quasineutrality.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Saturos3091

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

I'll be sure to check those out, I'm eager to take recommendations from someone with Timeghoul in their signature. I think I've already heard much talk about Primitive Man, but definitely haven't heard of Rorcal.

They're both sludgy doom bands. The former incorporates elements of noise while the latter has some black metal passages. This year has been strong for brutal death metal though and I wouldn't be surprised if Wormed ends up atop that pile since so far Devourment blew ass and Guttural Secrete, Suffocation, and Coprocephalic were just decent.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]it's kinda boring texturally. Saturos3091

Well from what I heard, the low-end on Exodromos is lacking. The bass' lows are cut for a dominating high end that the guitar tone plays to as well. It makes it appear more beautiful, but I definitely prefer the full-bodied mix of Planisphaerium. I'm going to give Exodromos a full listen, but it was easy to tell the direction they were moving in after Quasineutrality.

I don't know. I think it has to do with it simply being well-produced (clean/sterile). The bass' lows definitely aren't cut, because the low-end of the frequency spectrum is by far most busy. Maybe you're accustomed to the scooped mids sound that is popular in a lot of death metal? When the mids are lowered, it makes the album sound a lot more bassy and, in my opinion, more interesting. Planisphaerium wasn't full bodied - it had extremely scooped mids, which creates the illusion having a thicker and more full sound.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LoG-Sacrament

i think the production is fine. it's that they're basically throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the listener all at once and (from the few songs i listened to) all the time. nothing has time breath and i get tired of it quickly. it sometimes works as something to build up to, perhaps something to initially throw the listener off balance, or some other small use, but i don't think it really sustains itself well even with the occasional timing quirk.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I like heavy... Heavy is good...

Will look into it :P

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Saturos3091

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Their first release went with a "characteristic" (bad) production that gave it a lot more 'umph' and texture. This new release utilizes clean production to its advantage IMO because it opens up the sound a bit. There is a really good mixture of melodic and dissonant chords mixed into the rapid-fire tremolo and heavy chugging which gives flashes of beauty amongst the chaos. If the production were sh*t, I don't think they could get that sound across as 'accessibly' as they've put it here. If you're talking about the actual music rather than the sound or production, I'm not sure specifically what you're referring to. I find each aspect to be intricately detailed and textured, particularly the guitar work. There's only one guitarist playing, which blows my mind. KHAndAnime

I don't know. I think it has to do with it simply being well-produced (clean/sterile). The bass' lows definitely aren't cut, because the low-end of the frequency spectrum is by far most busy. Maybe you're accustomed to the scooped mids sound that is popular in a lot of death metal? When the mids are lowered, it makes the album sound a lot more bassy and, in my opinion, more interesting. Planisphaerium wasn't full bodied - it had extremely scooped mids, which creates the illusion having a thicker and more full sound.

Planisphaerium does have a scooped midrange sound to it but I think I prefer that to the sound on Exodromos. The illusion of a full-bodied sound is all it really takes to keep the mix interesting. When I isolate the lower freqs on Exodromos the bass drum disappears. :?

Maybe it's my bad speakers but I can't listen with my monitors right now.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Saturos3091

I also recommend checking out the new Katalepsy too if you haven't yet. It's significantly better than their past, somewhat more stereotypical releases.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7d3c08ed601
deactivated-5e7d3c08ed601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e7d3c08ed601
Member since 2007 • 6696 Posts
Doesn't sound that special to me. Also, Gorguts, Ulcerate, and Immo are releasing albums this year... so that's some tough competition for best album of 2013.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saturos3091
[QUOTE="wizzardjeff"]Doesn't sound that special to me. Also, Gorguts, Ulcerate, and Immo are releasing albums this year... so that's some tough competition for best album of 2013.

Absolutely. New Mitochondrion is likely too. It's a strong year for death metal. I'm going to have to listen to Exodromos again before I completely judge it. I don't think it's bad but I don't think it holds up either.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Or when it's death metal. >.>

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]it's kinda boring texturally. LoG-Sacrament

i think the production is fine. it's that they're basically throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the listener all at once and (from the few songs i listened to) all the time. nothing has time breath and i get tired of it quickly. it sometimes works as something to build up to, perhaps something to initially throw the listener off balance, or some other small use, but i don't think it really sustains itself well even with the occasional timing quirk.

That's like going to a Thai restaurant, ordering a spicy (5-star) dish, and then complaining that the food was too spicy. This band completely revels in its lack of breathing room. See that album cover? You're in ****ing space bud. There's nothing to breathe. The year is 8000 and the solar system is about to meet its demise. Krighsu, the last human in the universe, is entrusted with the last of humanity's seed - this album is telling the story through his eyes. But just because there's little to no breathing room doesn't mean that there isn't a distinct song structure. Not all the songs on the album are like the one I linked. If I could have linked one of the more accessible songs on the album - I don't think you would have complaints about the pacing, for the last song has a great build-up (and release). But I appreciate you guys giving it an honest listen - it's not everybody's cup of tea. It's not even a cup I drink terribly often. Wormed is pretty much the heaviest band I listen to, and I have to be in the right mood for it.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]How can you call it best when you haven't heard it all?Pirate700

Death metal is awesome. Some of the best metal is death metal. Death metal is so catchy, sometimes I can't get the riffs out of my head. Where in heavy metal can I find riffs like the ones I linked? No where. Because most of the talented metal musicians went extreme IMO. Non-extreme metal released these days most the part is all rehashed, stale, lifeless, etc. And all the decent non-extreme metal bands I know of seem to have musicians that are quite into extreme metal themselves. *shrug*

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KHAndAnime

Doesn't sound that special to me. Also, Gorguts, Ulcerate, and Immo are releasing albums this year... so that's some tough competition for best album of 2013.wizzardjeff
You clearly haven't listened enough, because Wormed's new release easily surpasses Ulcerate's works and Immolation's works (as much as I love both of those bands). If you can't figure out why it's special within the genre, then you just don't have the ears for technical death metal. And I didn't claim it will be the best album of 2013, simply one of the best. I'm sure I'm going to be consider Gorgut's new album to be one of the best as well, but Wormed is simply a different type of band. It seems people these days are afraid to stray from well-known and more established bands, even though less popular bands are doing the same thing just as well, if not better.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]How can you call it best when you haven't heard it all?KHAndAnime

Death metal is awesome. Some of the best metal is death metal. Death metal is so catchy, sometimes I can't get the riffs out of my head. Where in heavy metal can I find riffs like the ones I linked? No where. Because most of the talented metal musicians went extreme IMO. Non-extreme metal released these days most the part is all rehashed, stale, lifeless, etc. And all the decent non-extreme metal bands I know of seem to have musicians that are quite into extreme metal themselves. *shrug*

lol I was just messing with you. :P

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
That seriously sounds like "hdjdjfdidnnamaldkfirnehquqiqmsmndnvnfmsap!" if I had to describe it with words.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

Saturos3091

Deathcore Defense Squad...ASSEMBLE!!!

[spoiler]

219331_207118295987554_151360941563290_6 

Nobody is insulting deathcore here. I enjoy some of it myself. Obviously none of the bands that look like this are worth listening to. I can't stand gang vocals though. That's the definition of cheese especially in [mainstream] deathcore where the lyrics are primarily about teeny-bopper relationship tripe.

[/spoiler]

When it comes to BDM you should just accept the rhythmic aspect of the vocals. That's their primary purpose in a large part of the subgenre, although other times they're there for the energy or aggression elements. It completely depends on the band in question's style.

I don't know.. I'd like to like it but I just can't. Bands like The Black Dahlia Murder, Gojira, Meshuggah are super good and I really enjoy them, but i guess you can't like it all.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

That isn't KING
253177_453736814677026_1992645477_n.jpg

This will leave all black metal obsolete for at least 14 years

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

It's worth pointing out that the musicians in this band could can play circles around most musicians in the genre. There aren't two ways about it - this album contains some of the most technical guitar and drum work that I've ever heard. Their last album, and this new one, both maximize these musician's potential. I can really appreciate when virtuosos band together and patiently write music that taps into all of their potential. It just doesn't happen that often. So unless there are about a dozen other metal bands other there that have been patiently writing their "balls out" album, I highly doubt that this album will be anything other than one of the best of the year. KHAndAnime

Ugh, one of those bands. Musicians like that...yeah, they're nice and technical, and can play circles around most everyone. The proplem with those musicians is that they're so often so filled with showing off what they can do that they they don't actually create music worth listening to, in my opinion anyway. It's kinda like Dream Theater - incredible musicians who create frightfully boring musical-masturbation.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Honestly that song was pretty boring.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Their first release went with a "characteristic" (bad) production that gave it a lot more 'umph' and texture. This new release utilizes clean production to its advantage IMO because it opens up the sound a bit. There is a really good mixture of melodic and dissonant chords mixed into the rapid-fire tremolo and heavy chugging which gives flashes of beauty amongst the chaos. If the production were sh*t, I don't think they could get that sound across as 'accessibly' as they've put it here. If you're talking about the actual music rather than the sound or production, I'm not sure specifically what you're referring to. I find each aspect to be intricately detailed and textured, particularly the guitar work. There's only one guitarist playing, which blows my mind.

That's like going to a Thai restaurant, ordering a spicy (5-star) dish, and then complaining that the food was too spicy. This band completely revels in its lack of breathing room. See that album cover? You're in ****ing space bud. There's nothing to breathe. The year is 8000 and the solar system is about to meet its demise. Krighsu, the last human in the universe, is entrusted with the last of humanity's seed - this album is telling the story through his eyes. But just because there's little to no breathing room doesn't mean that there isn't a distinct song structure. Not all the songs on the album are like the one I linked. If I could have linked one of the more accessible songs on the album - I don't think you would have complaints about the pacing, for the last song has a great build-up (and release). But I appreciate you guys giving it an honest listen - it's not everybody's cup of tea. It's not even a cup I drink terribly often. Wormed is pretty much the heaviest band I listen to, and I have to be in the right mood for it.

you'll love this then :P

i guess it is fair to say that i'm not the biggest fan of the stuff that gets labeled with the grind/core genres though. still, i do listen to a lot of heavy bands, so it's not like i went into it thinking "metal sucks" or something. and actually, i have the lykathea aflame album which has it's moments and has some of the qualities of the grind/core bands. still, like you, it's not something i normally listen to.

Iceozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Iceozo
Member since 2009 • 6441 Posts

Guess I'll check it out the next time I'm in a tech death mood.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saturos3091
"7h target"KHAndAnime
Now THAT was one of the best brutal death metal albums of 2012.

It seems people these days are afraid to stray from well-known and more established bands, even though less popular bands are doing the same thing just as well, if not better.

KHAndAnime
I wouldn't really say Wormed is less popular than say Ulcerate. Planisphaerium is often lauded as some sort of unique technical space slamming brutal death metal (which it is), and this prequel is being hyped pretty heavily in the same community. I think it's got some pretty big shoes to fill.

Ugh, one of those bands. Musicians like that...yeah, they're nice and technical, and can play circles around most everyone. The proplem with those musicians is that they're so often so filled with showing off what they can do that they they don't actually create music worth listening to, in my opinion anyway. It's kinda like Dream Theater - incredible musicians who create frightfully boring musical-masturbation.

worlock77
It's really not that focused on the technicality. They embellish a lot of archetypal brutal death metal progressions with interesting drum fills, abundant time signature changes, weak pinch harmonics ("Tautochrone" comes to mind), and the occasional melodic chord [progression]. They have plenty of talent but aren't necessarily letting that run the music. Speaking of which the new snare sound is so much more subdued.
cgi15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cgi15
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts

Although I am not the biggest death metal fan, I do appreciate a lot of it. However, this one sounded a bit lackluster. In terms of technique, the drums are very good, but nothing unlike what has been done before. The guitar work on the other hand was very unimpressive. From the two tracks I've listened to, most of the guitar was just fast alternate picking and chugging with only a few quick glimpses of any sweeping or melodic guitar work.

I get that some people who listen to this type of music want just straight brutal, but adding a little bit of variation could only do good. Certainly to my ears, the playing didn't have enough groove to be as repetitive as it was (unlike say, Meshuggah).

Alright OT, give me your worst.

My body is ready.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Not bad, the song reminded me of Suffocation.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]It's worth pointing out that the musicians in this band could can play circles around most musicians in the genre. There aren't two ways about it - this album contains some of the most technical guitar and drum work that I've ever heard. Their last album, and this new one, both maximize these musician's potential. I can really appreciate when virtuosos band together and patiently write music that taps into all of their potential. It just doesn't happen that often. So unless there are about a dozen other metal bands other there that have been patiently writing their "balls out" album, I highly doubt that this album will be anything other than one of the best of the year. worlock77

Can't stand modern technical death metal. I like the semi romantic aesthetic old school bands like Eucharist had.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Saturos3091

just fast alternate picking and chugging with only a few quick glimpses of any sweeping or melodic guitar work.

cgi15
Uh...what? Please be more precise when attempting to make technical judgments. "Sweeps" (do you actually mean sweeps or arpeggios?) or melodic guitarwork are completely unnecessary for technically impressive composition. Melodic movement in BDM is largely chromatic in nature and the complex rhythm changes are far beyond the skill required for say, a hackneyed pentatonic solo.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KHAndAnime

Although I am not the biggest death metal fan, I do appreciate a lot of it. However, this one sounded a bit lackluster. In terms of technique, the drums are very good, but nothing unlike what has been done before. The guitar work on the other hand was very unimpressive. From the two tracks I've listened to, most of the guitar was just fast alternate picking and chugging with only a few quick glimpses of any sweeping or melodic guitar work.

I get that some people who listen to this type of music want just straight brutal, but adding a little bit of variation could only do good. Certainly to my ears, the playing didn't have enough groove to be as repetitive as it was (unlike say, Meshuggah).

Alright OT, give me your worst.

My body is ready.

cgi15
The music gets groovier with each listen IMO. Being a slight fan of Meshuggah in the past, I wouldn't consider these bands in the same ballpark. There is plenty of variation within the song, it's just the pacing that isn't varied. Irregardless, amongst the chugging and tremelo - the point is that the songs progress towards some sort of melodic payoff. The riffs and their composure is probably the most unique and well done within the genre. I can't think of one other band that sounds quite like this one. And honestly, when it comes to metal, some of the best of it sounds lackluster on the surface and with initial listens. Takes a certain kind of ear to "get it" right away.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime

Can't stand modern technical death metal. I like the semi romantic aesthetic old school bands like Eucharist had.

RushKing

Eucharist is nice and all but honestly it sounds like you guys aren't willing to open your minds up to more complicated and dense music. Once you get past aesthetics and get down to the actual meat of the music (composure of riffs, drumming, musical concepts/ideas), modern technical death metal kills. The music was practically engineered for replayability. Therefore songs are so dense and often uniquely organized in their riffs and song-structure that they become vastly more interesting with subsequent listens. Not all great musicans write music to be a technical showcase. Many of them actually use their advanced playing abilities to create sounds, atmosphere, and soundscapes that lesser-skilled musicians would not be capable of creating. I'm not saying that technicality = superiority, just saying that it gives the musicians more possibilities to work with.

I suspect you're like most and are turned off by more technical music because it's simply not instantly rewarding or gratifying to listen to. I enjoy really enjoy Eucharist (and have for years), but the band is more or less straight forward melodic-death that was frankly done a lot better by early At The Gates. And frankly, it doesn't take that much of an artist to replicate that style of music. Either way, it gets old after awhile - don't you guys crave something a little different? Wormed is a breath of fresh air in comparison if you ask me. The band makes extremely good use of subtlety where many bands don't show much constraint.

Hell, first time I started listening to Suffocation, all I could get out of was a mish-mash of random riffs and drumming. But after listening to that band thousands of times, the music sounds comparable to Mozart for me. And then I can't imagine how people can't listen to it. :P But I do get that the extremity of brutal death metal is huge a turn off for you guys though. I wasn't a fan until a year ago, but challenging listens have always proved to be the most rewarding (if the substance is there).

Not bad, the song reminded me of Suffocation.

lensflare15

Of course. I consider this music to be an extreme twist on Suffocation. Except with a little less noodling and a lot more mind-bending riffs. Suffocation is one of my favorite bands though, I get to see them live for my first time in less than a month :D

Honestly that song was pretty boring.

chessmaster1989

Dissonant slamming, space pig vocals, and hyperfast guitar work and odd-timed drumming isn't everyone's cup of tea. I won't think any less of you (or anyone) for it. :P

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

I thought you were gonna talk about this

gloryhammer.jpg

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KHAndAnime

gloryhammer.jpg

Nude_Dude

Why would you think I would nominate a non-metal album? :P More along the lines of folk butt rock if you ask me.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

the depth of the musicKHAndAnime
lol

Also...

OMG they used a phi and a sigma to spell their band's name. WOW! SO friggin cool!!!

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

[QUOTE="Nude_Dude"]

gloryhammer.jpg

KHAndAnime

Why would you think I would nominate a non-metal album? :P More along the lines of folk butt rock if you ask me.

Come on man, it has Fife, Christopher Bowes and a song titled "Unicorn Invasion of Dundee" in it. Best luls of the year guaranteed.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Ehh those vocals.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

EDIT: The best part about the Wormed album is that the last song takes the melodic stand-out moments in the album and splices them back together into a purely epic-sounding conclusion. I haven't heard any band do this before, yet it's such a basic idea...it has to have been done!

Dream Theater does that constantly. With most of their albums. As do a whole lot of prog bands. Sometimes called an "underture" (but usually only if the album opened with an "overture").

Lord_Ronskins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lord_Ronskins
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

Never did like over technical wankery on certain Death Metal bands dont like the vocals either, I prefer a more dirty raw no bull old school sound on some bands.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Saturos3091

OMG they used a phi and a sigma to spell their band's name. WOW! SO friggin cool!!!

Teenaged
Nobody cares so stop trying.
Eucharist is nice and all but honestly it sounds like you guys aren't willing to open your minds up to more complicated and dense music. Once you get past aesthetics and get down to the actual meat of the music (composure of riffs, drumming, musical concepts/ideas), modern technical death metal kills. The music was practically engineered for replayability. Therefore songs are so dense and often uniquely organized in their riffs and song-structure that they become vastly more interesting with subsequent listens. Not all great musicans write music to be a technical showcase. Many of them actually use their advanced playing abilities to create sounds, atmosphere, and soundscapes that lesser-skilled musicians would not be capable of creating. I'm not saying that technicality = superiority, just saying that it gives the musicians more possibilities to work with.

I suspect you're like most and are turned off by more technical music because it's simply not instantly rewarding or gratifying to listen to. I enjoy really enjoy Eucharist (and have for years), but the band is more or less straight forward melodic-death that was frankly done a lot better by early At The Gates. And frankly, it doesn't take that much of an artist to replicate that style of music. Either way, it gets old after awhile - don't you guys crave something a little different?

KHAndAnime
I agree entirely. Sometimes I think I listen to too much brutal and technical death metal. Also yeah Eucharist is essentially a melodic death band and I don't think anyone would really argue otherwise. Hardly technical in the slightest despite their more instrumentally impressive rhythm elements (relative to other melodic death bands).
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#49 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I don't like the vocals. Rest of it seems pretty good though.

I really only like regularish death metal vocals like Metalocalypse.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KHAndAnime

I don't like the vocals. Rest of it seems pretty good though.

I really only like regularish death metal vocals like Metalocalypse.

cain006

Phlegethon has the voice of an angel :P Really though, I think the vocals are about as awesome as death metal vocals get. I couldn't imagine any other vocal style complimenting the style of music, nor any other vocalist representing this band's music. He sounds like he could be an alien pig, which is quite an accomplishment in my eyes. As long as no one gets the impression that good death metal vocals are easy.

Never did like over technical wankery on certain Death Metal bands dont like the vocals either, I prefer a more dirty raw no bull old school sound on some bands.

Lord_Ronskins

Wankery isn't an appropriate term IMO. Wankery is Necrophagist, Nile (at times), Brain Drill, Malmsteen, etc. Wormed just plays fast, uses lots of uncommon chords, and weaves a large amount of different guitar techniques into unique yet cohesive songs. Really, it's for people who appreciate a large amount of diverse riffs to be used in their music. I like old-school DM vocals too, but nothing wrong with something unique, especially if it's well done. :)

To reiterate through A/V....

Not Wankery

Wankery

Wankery Schlock(that I hope you didn't just group Wormed with)