Old School Hip-Hop and Rap vs. New Gen

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

The topic on the Geto Boys got me thinking. Which one do fans of the genre prefer listening to more. The classic albums which came out from the early 80's right up to the early 1990's or the ones afterwards. Cite some examples of classic acts and newer ones. I, myself, still listen more to the classic performers and their albums. There's a few rappers and artists of the last 10 years I'll listen to a lot but not much.

I mean I still will pick Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers and listen to that album over anything made by the current hip-hop groups of the last 15 years.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I absolutely hate rap and hip-hop, but even I can say that the earlier years were a lot better than the stuff out now.

TheZ3nMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 TheZ3nMan
Member since 2007 • 2658 Posts
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back vs. just about anything released today...it's really no contest(at least for me)
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Buck_Hotep

I'm sure there'll be people who will put in their hate on rap in general. The funny thing is that I'm a fan of rap and metal. I see similarities in both even if haters on both sides don't. Even during the 80's when that PE album was released pretty much everyone had an idea it would be an instant classic.

-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
I stopped comparing the two when I realized most of these morons rapping today are clearly trying to only one up each other instead of trying to make great rap in general. They couldn't care less about the legacy of hip hop, the idiots.
curtkobain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 curtkobain
Member since 2005 • 3898 Posts

i havent been listening to rap for very long but i prefer the newer stuff. i have some biggie and its alright, but lupe fiasco completely blows him away.

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

I love rap and I'm not holding anything against classic and old school rap, but I find myself listening to rap that is from recent years.

Of course I counting old school rap than anything before 1990. Not counting really anything in the 90's as old school.

Shi-ro-me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shi-ro-me
Member since 2009 • 1097 Posts

I stopped listening to most Hip-Hop ever since I've learned that it's really a religion and not just a "genre" of music,

but I still listen to a select few. Mostly Lupe Fiasco and Tupac.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts

I stopped listening to most Hip-Hop ever since I've learned that it's really a religion and not just a "genre" of music,

Shi-ro-me
It's a religion?
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Buck_Hotep

[QUOTE="Shi-ro-me"]

Ace_WondersX

It's a religion?

That one had me scratching my head. But then the way people go on about Tupac and Biggie you'd think those two had their own churches.

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 worthyofnote
Member since 2007 • 21896 Posts

Enter The Wu-Tang/36 Chambers, GZA's Liquid Swords, Souls Of Mischief 93 Til Infinity, Common's Resurrection, Notoroius BIG's Ready To Die, Big L's Lifestyles of Da Poor And Dangerou; and I can name so many more.

Mostly early nineties Hip Hop is what I love to listen to. Mainstream contemporary hip hop has gone done the drain, with the exception of a few artists that have survived the times and still present lyrical content in their works.

cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

90+ for me although it is a very close call. You got people like deltron 3030,blackstar,outkast,lupe,Aesop rock,cise star,etc.. The only problem with later rap is that the mainstream sucks.

Shi-ro-me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shi-ro-me

[QUOTE="Shi-ro-me"]

Ace_WondersX

It's a religion?

If you truly look at the base of it all, yes. Afrika Bambaataa was actually the one who started it all by going to Africa and studying and living with a tribe called the Zulus, one of their leading teachings are that of self empowerment and the belief of being their own gods. He came back to New York and used Hip-Hop as a medium to spread that message. Have you ever heard people saying that Hip-Hop is a way of life? And that it's reallly a culture? A culture generally has it's own belief. Many artists now a days are affiliated with freemasonry and the Illuminati. Some are more conspicuous than other's, but that's on your part if you want to do some research on it. It's kind of difficult to believe when you first hear it, but if you really look into it you might be surprised. I know I was, not to mention I looked up to all of these artists since I was a child.

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worthyofnote

90+ for me although it is a very close call. You got people like deltron 3030,blackstar,outkast,lupe,Aesop rock,cise star,etc.. The only problem with later rap is that the mainstream sucks.

cody3232

That pretty much sums up how I look at it.

12Bullets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 12Bullets
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

I absolutely hate rap and hip-hop, but even I can say that the earlier years were a lot better than the stuff out now.

Legendaryscmt
well why enter the thread if you absolutely hate it. mind boggling. Anyway new school anything can never beat old school. old school then was ok but now that time has passed the nostalgia has made it better than it actually was
deon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deon99
Member since 2007 • 677 Posts
90's rap > now rap except lil wayne and the hole poe boy and slip and slide the res are trash imo.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
I listen to both but if If I'd have to pick i'd choose old school Big Daddy Kane FTW!
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worthyofnote

90's rap > now rap except lil wayne and the hole poe boy and slip and slide the res are trash imo.deon99
Granted Wayne can come up with some interesting verses and punchlines, however all he cares about is bragging rights. And I can only listen to so much of him with his annoying voice and rhyming the same word over and over.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"][QUOTE="Shi-ro-me"]

Shi-ro-me

It's a religion?

If you truly look at the base of it all, yes. Afrika Bambaataa was actually the one who started it all by going to Africa and studying and living with a tribe called the Zulus, one of their leading teachings are that of self empowerment and the belief of being their own gods. He came back to New York and used Hip-Hop as a medium to spread that message. Have you ever heard people saying that Hip-Hop is a way of life? And that it's reallly a culture? A culture generally has it's own belief. Many artists now a days are affiliated with freemasonry and the Illuminati. Some are more conspicuous than other's, but that's on your part if you want to do some research on it. It's kind of difficult to believe when you first hear it, but if you really look into it you might be surprised. I know I was, not to mention I looked up to all of these artists since I was a child.

It is a pity he did not go visit the Hutus.
mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 mikeg0788
Member since 2003 • 11784 Posts
[QUOTE="12Bullets"] Anyway new school anything can never beat old school. old school then was ok but now that time has passed the nostalgia has made it better than it actually was

Wrong, there's tons of great modern hip-hop and rap. TONS. Plus, with the timeline given by the OP, albums like The Chronic, Tha Doggfather, and 2001 as well as almost all Pac and Biggie songs are considered "modern". That alone tips the scales for me. Computer proliferation has made writing rap/hip hop a lot more accessible, which has caused a lot of trash to be produced, but it also is an incredible tool in the hands of a gifted artist (e.g., Lupe). Then again, I've never been a fan of almost anything classical; movies, cars, music, i just like modern things.
ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ieatnoobs18
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts
Ahh. Old school rappers like the beasties, RUN DMC, LL COOL J, etc. Will never be beat. I hate a lot of modern rap stars. Little wayne makes me facepalm. cant stand him. Same with soulja boy. I only like rap that has meaning to its lyrics, not ima gonna shoot you, then get some p***** then shoot someone then knife someone.
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Buck_Hotep

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

12Bullets

well why enter the thread if you absolutely hate it. mind boggling. Anyway new school anything can never beat old school. old school then was ok but now that time has passed the nostalgia has made it better than it actually was

For some old school nostalgia does make them sound better than they really are, but most classic old school rap and hip-hop were great because they hadn't been commercialized and actually had artists who knew how to rap instead of trying to sing-rap. Not to use Lil Wayne as an example all the time, but I can't even understand a majority of what he is saying or even understand what his songs are about. Not enough rappers of the newer generation who have battling in their background.

As much as Eminem has a tendency to polarize and even make a mockery of his own self the boy knows how to rhyme.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

90's rap > now rap except lil wayne and the hole poe boy and slip and slide the res are trash imo.deon99

Eww.

I agree that 90s rap is better than current rap but Lil Wayne being one of the best of the new generation? Not a chance in hell.

Shi-ro-me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shi-ro-me

[QUOTE="Shi-ro-me"]

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"] It's a religion?samuraiguns

It is a pity he did not go visit the Hutus.

Indeed, they would have given him cupcakes made from pig testies. mmmmm

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 worthyofnote

As much as Eminem has a tendency to polarize and even make a mockery of his own self the boy knows how to rhyme.

Buck_Hotep

That he does. Infinite is just a an amazing album that holds the proof of his skill.

I actually just picked up Relapse yesterday. I thought I was going to be disappointed by it, but Em still shines through. Even if he does come off as a pyscho. But anyone that can take his experiences as an addict, as a global phenom, and the trials and tribulations of his life and put them into a song and even poke fun at himself at the same time, deserves the credit.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

[QUOTE="deon99"]90's rap > now rap except lil wayne and the hole poe boy and slip and slide the res are trash imo.The_Game21x

Eww.

I agree that 90s rap is better than current rap but Lil Wayne being one of the best of the new generation? Not a chance in hell.

Lil Wayne is freaking garbage. I don't understand why people like him. 90's rap is way better than the trash we hear from modern rap artists nowadays. I'm so tired of the synthesizer these rappers use in every song. It's getting ridiculous. They can't sing so they sing in a voice box. It sucks. Wake me up when these rappers are gone. Hopefully 2010 will bring on a new decade of better rappers.

whatpudding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 whatpudding
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

This is off topic but i like pop and tecno

Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Buck_Hotep

This is off topic but i like pop and tecno

whatpudding

LOL, well I know for a fact techno has remixed many a classic rap and hip-hop track.

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

Early to mid 90's hip-hop is my favorite but I still love plenty of the hip-hop coming out nowadays.

smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
Of course the old school,
mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mikeg0788
Ahh. Old school rappers like the beasties, RUN DMC, LL COOL J, etc. Will never be beat. I hate a lot of modern rap stars. Little wayne makes me facepalm. cant stand him. Same with soulja boy. I only like rap that has meaning to its lyrics, not ima gonna shoot you, then get some p***** then shoot someone then knife someone.ieatnoobs18
The fact that you compare Wayne to Soulja Boy shows just how out of touch with you reality you are. Or how ignorant. Or both.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

New Gen underground is best

ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ieatnoobs18
[QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"]Ahh. Old school rappers like the beasties, RUN DMC, LL COOL J, etc. Will never be beat. I hate a lot of modern rap stars. Little wayne makes me facepalm. cant stand him. Same with soulja boy. I only like rap that has meaning to its lyrics, not ima gonna shoot you, then get some p***** then shoot someone then knife someone.mikeg0788
The fact that you compare Wayne to Soulja Boy shows just how out of touch with you reality you are. Or how ignorant. Or both.

Out of touch i am? somebodies a wayne lover? Its and opinion and in my mine, mines right, so deal with it.
gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts

I moved on from old school. I kinda like the new gen.. or just Asher Roth

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mikeg0788
[QUOTE="mikeg0788"][QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"]Ahh. Old school rappers like the beasties, RUN DMC, LL COOL J, etc. Will never be beat. I hate a lot of modern rap stars. Little wayne makes me facepalm. cant stand him. Same with soulja boy. I only like rap that has meaning to its lyrics, not ima gonna shoot you, then get some p***** then shoot someone then knife someone.ieatnoobs18

Out of touch i am? somebodies a wayne lover? Its and opinion and in my mine, mines right, so deal with it.

Not when you make an analogy as bad as that; I can't let such ignorance get away without repercussions. For the record, I love Wayne.
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Weezy, and T.I. can rap with the best of them.

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mikeg0788

I moved on from old school. I kinda like the new gen.. or just Asher Roth

gamah_killah
I'll never be able to enjoy that guy after he birthed I Love College, the ultimate douchey frat boy song. He did have a sick free-style with Kid Cudi on youtube.
ateace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ateace3
Member since 2005 • 1188 Posts

i havent been listening to rap for very long but i prefer the newer stuff. i have some biggie and its alright, but lupe fiasco completely blows him away.

curtkobain

what? no...

im not sure what old school is anymore but id say 1992-1997 had some of the greatest rap albums released. id go with the past.

ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ieatnoobs18
[QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"][QUOTE="mikeg0788"] The fact that you compare Wayne to Soulja Boy shows just how out of touch with you reality you are. Or how ignorant. Or both.mikeg0788

Not when you make an analogy as bad as that; I can't let such ignorance get away without repercussions. For the record, I love Wayne.

I didnt compare wayne and soulja boy genuis. I said i hate them both, and rappers who rap about violence and gettin' some. Learn to read.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

As with every genre you have the good and the bad with each generation...

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mikeg0788
[QUOTE="mikeg0788"][QUOTE="ieatnoobs18"] Not when you make an analogy as bad as that; I can't let such ignorance get away without repercussions. For the record, I love Wayne. ieatnoobs18
I didnt compare wayne and soulja boy genuis. I said i hate them both, and rappers who rap about violence and gettin' some. Learn to read.

Little wayne makes me facepalm. cant stand him. Same with soulja boy. I only like rap that has meaning to its lyrics, not ima gonna shoot you, then get some p***** then shoot someone then knife someone.ieatnoobs18
Unless they changed the definition of "compare", I think I'm right. Regardless, the last part of your post shows you don't know much about Wayne than what's popular on the radio. Plus, Dre sang about that stuff almost exclusively, and he's great.
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Buck_Hotep

[QUOTE="curtkobain"]

ateace3

what? no...

im not sure what old school is anymore but id say 1992-1997 had some of the greatest rap albums released. id go with the past.

People who have studied the music consider old school as anything from mid 90's and back. New school those who follow the scene began in the late mid-90's onward once you started to get the self-made rap moguls and those artists they started grooming. Really, before 1995 there weren't much rap albums to dominate the music industry except for a few like Biggie's albums, Run DMC form the 80's, Mc Hammer, etc..

After the 1995 you started to see a shift to a more accessible form of hip-hop. Yes, Jay-Z and Nas and their like are accessible. When you look at their stuff, except for a few tracks here and there they're quite safe for the so-called White America to listen to. Old school aesthetics nowadays are found more with the underground hip-hop scene which gave birth to such artists as Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Common (early days), and others.

-FlyLo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -FlyLo-
Member since 2009 • 2833 Posts

Well I'm more into new gen, but not like Flo Rida or Lil Wayne and all that ****. I'm more into Eminem, because lets be honest, he really is the greatest rapper who ever lived.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

old school was all about the lyrics and beat now its teh stupid voice box(tpain) and catchy dances

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts

Legendaryscmt
Same with me.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I prefer anything that was 2000 and before that. People like Soulja Boy make me cringe at the thought of rap music today.

ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ieatnoobs18

Well I'm more into new gen, but not like Flo Rida or Lil Wayne and all that ****. I'm more into Eminem, because lets be honest, he really is the greatest rapper who ever lived.

-FlyLo-
I agree. Lyrics with meaning.
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

[QUOTE="ateace3"]

what? no...

Buck_Hotep

People who have studied the music consider old school as anything from mid 90's and back. New school those who follow the scene began in the late mid-90's onward once you started to get the self-made rap moguls and those artists they started grooming. Really, before 1995 there weren't much rap albums to dominate the music industry except for a few like Biggie's albums, Run DMC form the 80's, Mc Hammer, etc..

After the 1995 you started to see a shift to a more accessible form of hip-hop. Yes, Jay-Z and Nas and their like are accessible. When you look at their stuff, except for a few tracks here and there they're quite safe for the so-called White America to listen to. Old school aesthetics nowadays are found more with the underground hip-hop scene which gave birth to such artists as Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Common (early days), and others.

You'll find a lot of differing opinions about what Old School really is. A lot of people consider Old School as being pre 1986, made up of rappers like Schoolly D, T La Rock, the Treacherous Three, the Fearless Four, the Funky 4 + 1, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, and Melle Mel. And then the era after that from roughly 1986 to the mid 90's is called the Golden Age. That's the pretty standard definition.

Other people, like yourself, consider anything before 1990 as being Old School.

And then you have other people who believe every past era eventually becomes Old School whenever a new group of rappers hit the scene. For example, Soulja Boy says he considers 50 Cent an Old School rapper, since 50 Cent comes from the generation before him.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I like Dr. Dre and a little 2Pac.

I can't listen to any of the new rap. It's just horrible. Especially Soulja Boy and Lil' Wayne.

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mikeg0788

i'm more into Eminem, because lets be honest, he really is the greatest rapper who ever lived.

-FlyLo-
What? No...