Off topic loosing its life?

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LeBump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 LeBump
Member since 2013 • 85 Posts

I havent been in this forum in a few years and it seems like there are a lot less people posting? what happened did everyone leave because the gamespot website looks like poop now? i remember this place had a new post almost every minute or so.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Two major contributors

1: The new rules update which let people basically roam free a bit like ign

2: The website which eliminated unions and is still to this day slow to load and full of glitches...

It was slowly losing traffic before the rules update but after that it went downhill and with the website redesign it SPIKED to near rock bottom...

Anytime a website has to unban many members will show you how bad it has become(and it had ZERO positives when it happened)

LeBump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeBump

@fueled-system: Yeah this place used to be glowing with life and now its just dead. I hate how they changed the look of the website too, it looks terrible. Ign has kept it the same since forever, if it isnt broke dont fix it i say.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

I wonder if it'll ever get better. They should revamp it back to its original form.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

OT makes me sad.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Losing, its dead. I have resumed my gamespot ways and still hardly even come to this board anymore. As much as I have always hated the place, system wars actually still moves faster.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I think it can get back to better standing, but it's going to take a community effort to get there. As long as new and old members keep contributing to the boards, I don't see why it wouldn't be lively again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

We need more trolls

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@chursibilla said:

Sensei tell me more how this website used to be ?? was it more lively than this ?

For over a thousand generations, the GS Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Unions. Before the dark times... before the Changes.

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts
@chursibilla said:

Sensei tell me more how this website used to be ?? was it more lively than this ?

It used to be more fun, less religion threads, and less arguments. I don't see many of the old members that used to post here, guess they moved on. And there are not more "Post your pic" or "Rate this ___" threads from what I saw. The site is just not the same.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Cause there are tons of other forums out there and plus life happens.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Don't ask what your gaming websites can do for you, ask what you can do for your gaming websites.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

GS pretty much gave us the middle finger when they did the revamp taking away Unions, user content like blogs on the front page, game night ect ect. OT and System Wars are pretty much dead except E3 2014 kinda gave life to SW but it's gonna die down again here shortly.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I seems to me a lot of Internet forums have gone quote inactive or dead, not just game spot.

I only joined here in march and it seems pretty active compared to what I used to on sights like the dead fmbase or no longer existing nexgenwars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

@LeBump: think most people got put off with not after hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

@behardy24 said:

Don't ask what your gaming websites can do for you, ask what you can do for your gaming websites.

+1s

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

@LeBump said:

@fueled-system: Yeah this place used to be glowing with life and now its just dead. I hate how they changed the look of the website too, it looks terrible. Ign has kept it the same since forever, if it isnt broke dont fix it i say.

but it was pretty broken before the changes

LeBump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LeBump

@thehig1: ever been to the vestibule on ign? theres like 5 post every second.

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 jimy1475
Member since 2008 • 1228 Posts

now there is more spams than real posts here

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

What if a forum started something revolutionary in posting like merging Reddit or Anandtech OT forums with Gamespot OT and other forum categories. And each could be like a union within the expanded OT. Sounds silly when you consider how money is made from ads and the structure the way it is now. And you'd have to come up with a new overall title for the merged sites. Just an idea.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@LeBump: No I haven't actually, might take a look

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

People just need to realize that this forum isn't about posting your inanities. The section is called "Off-topic Discussion". If your threads have no substance, you're only contributing to the shittiness. There used to be semi-decent discussions going on. But people are more interested in being trolls nowadays than actually posting something of substance.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#26 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@LeBump said:

I havent been in this forum in a few years and it seems like there are a lot less people posting? what happened did everyone leave because the gamespot website looks like poop now? i remember this place had a new post almost every minute or so.

It is a cesspool of American hating leftist, why would anyone want to hang out in here every day?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Ready the defibrillator.

3-2-1

Clear!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It lost most of it's life after the update.

GeekInkINC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GeekInkINC
Member since 2014 • 206 Posts

Yea, this place is boring. The userbase needs a huge surge of newb meat... but how?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Recently in my eyes, the place has been glowing with a tad bit of light.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@behardy24 said:

Recently in my eyes, the place has been glowing with a tad bit of light.

Get your eyes checked....

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

GS pretty much gave us the middle finger when they did the revamp taking away Unions, user content like blogs on the front page, game night ect ect. OT and System Wars are pretty much dead except E3 2014 kinda gave life to SW but it's gonna die down again here shortly.

I do miss the Game Nights now I'm all sad :(

RonMaverick804

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RonMaverick804
Member since 2006 • 2184 Posts

I haven't posted since Rich left On The Spot lol. I remember back then mods were banning for E.V.E.R.Y.THING. capital letters got you banned, bad grammar got you banned, even if they SUSPECTED you were a troll just for asking a question you got banned. I suspect banning 70% of the community and new members finally caught up with this site. I too have been posting on IGN (Vesti) and Reddit now these days.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ballroompirate

@Darthkaiser said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I never took part of the game nights but they were fun to see the banter between people lol :P

Also miss the Union awards they use to do, it made Unions compete against each other for the Union of the year award.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@Darthkaiser said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I never took part of the game nights but they were fun to see the banter between people lol :P

Also miss the Union awards they use to do, it made Unions compete against each other for the Union of the year award.

I don't know if you were around in those times but you know what I also miss

Scavengers Hunt!

I remember people were going crazy around the site looking for the pieces of the puzzle looking at every article

Good times!

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'm still here

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

It seems every other post is a spambot watch this free online post. Getting pretty tired of them.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@RonMaverick804 said:

I haven't posted since Rich left On The Spot lol. I remember back then mods were banning for E.V.E.R.Y.THING. capital letters got you banned, bad grammar got you banned, even if they SUSPECTED you were a troll just for asking a question you got banned. I suspect banning 70% of the community and new members finally caught up with this site. I too have been posting on IGN (Vesti) and Reddit now these days.

And yet the decline started when the removed those bans and let people return.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

It was in decline well before that, thus TDH and Systemwars.com. A lot of good members left for those sites.

And of course GabuEx left for teh ponies.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@br0kenrabbit said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It was in decline well before that, thus TDH and Systemwars.com. A lot of good members left for those sites.

And of course GabuEx left for teh ponies.

Not in decline. Yes people that were here regularly left at various times but they were always replaced with new blood. The forum was still very very active. The start was really the unbanning and rule change. The redesign was the last gasp. You never used to see hour old threads let alone day old or week old threads on the first page. Now it's the norm. Kind of a sad thing to see happen. On the other hand I spend less time here which is a good thing.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 br0kenrabbit

@LJS9502_basic said:

Not in decline. Yes people that were here regularly left at various times but they were always replaced with new blood. The forum was still very very active. The start was really the unbanning and rule change. The redesign was the last gasp. You never used to see hour old threads let alone day old or week old threads on the first page. Now it's the norm. Kind of a sad thing to see happen. On the other hand I spend less time here which is a good thing.

The unbanning and rule change was a result of people leaving. That's why we had the whole conversation about the rules to begin with. Now I'm not saying that the above didn't exacerbate the issue, but it was indeed a reaction to the declining number of users.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

@br0kenrabbit said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

The unbanning and rule change was a result of people leaving. That's why we had the whole conversation about the rules to begin with. Now I'm not saying that the above didn't exacerbate the issue, but it was indeed a reaction to the declining number of users.

Well actually it was a reaction to a select group of individuals and the community manager at the time giving them what they wanted. Or didn't you know they petitioned for the unbanning and rule relaxing?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 br0kenrabbit

@LJS9502_basic said:

Well actually it was a reaction to a select group of individuals and the community manager at the time giving them what they wanted. Or didn't you know they petitioned for the unbanning and rule relaxing?

And they petitioned because all the best posters were either being banned or leaving due to disputes with mods. Hell I left for a year after getting suspended for calling someone a hypocrite who was factually and demonstrably being hypocritical.

There were indeed issues with some of the mods and their uneven implementation of the rules back then, and while things did need to change I do think it went too far.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@br0kenrabbit said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

And they petitioned because all the best posters were either being banned or leaving due to disputes with mods. Hell I left for a year after getting suspended for calling someone a hypocrite who was factually and demonstrably being hypocritical.

There were indeed issues with some of the mods and their uneven implementation of the rules back then, and while things did need to change I do think it went too far.

Best? Best is subjective. Their buddies were being banned....and some deserved the bans. They were disruptive.

Yes there was issues with the mods. I always said minor comments like yours above shouldn't be worth a moderation etc. But the site was still active until the rule change etc.

Anyway nice chatting....have to head to work. Last day before vacation. YAY! Have a good one.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@thegerg said:

Just how loose are we talking here?

Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

The change in design was the final nail in the coffin.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
All I know is that I now find it increasingly hard to get myself to come here and post.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ballroompirate

@Darthkaiser said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Darthkaiser said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I don't know if you were around in those times but you know what I also miss

Scavengers Hunt!

I remember people were going crazy around the site looking for the pieces of the puzzle looking at every article

Good times!

Think I remember something like it, I remember some sort of scavenger hunt but I don't know if GS did it or my Union was doing it.