NYT: Obama Weighs Military Strikes To Aid Trapped Iraqis.

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

From the article:

"President Obama is considering airstrikes or airdrops of food and medicine to address a humanitarian crisis among as many as 40,000 religious minorities in Iraq who have been dying of heat and thirst on a mountaintop after death threats from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, administration officials said on Thursday."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/world/middleeast/obama-weighs-military-strikes-to-aid-trapped-iraqis-officials-say.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First some advisors, now maybe some airstrikes. It feels a little Vietnamish.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#2 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Those people need help, and ISIS is a fighting force that will most certainly wipe them out, especially the Yazidis.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Time to arm the kurds, and time to stop pretending that Iraq is still a country

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Time to arm the kurds, and time to stop pretending that Iraq is still a country

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Obama has considered many things during his time in office. This will be another to add to the list.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BossPerson

There's something about Americans shitting where they please and telling others to clean the mess that just amuses me.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

So what you (and the article) are talking about seems to be two different things, food/medicine drops for threatened Iraqis which was already approved. I don't know who would be against that to be honest.

The other thing in the article is possible airstrikes against the ISIS groups to keep certain cities from falling too far under their influence. Airstrikes have happened in or near towns in Northern Iraq according to Kurdish officials while America denies it was the US who did it. This is despite the fact that Obama has considered doing so which does possibly implicate that he ordered the airstrikes.

You're threads are usually more clear than this TC.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Pfff, who doesn't want an Islamic caliphate? Come on guys, get with the times.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I too long for the day when the US stops meddling in the middle east. Finally the Muslims will be able to live among themselves in peace like they have for over 1300 years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Airstrikes are happening.

Seems a little hypocritical to me, though. Well, we'll bomb the shit out of people that are about to wipe you out, but more than that? NOPE!

If our goal is to actually help people, which our military is entirely capable of doing, then lets just fucking do it and stop beating around the bush.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
@airshocker said:

Seems a little hypocritical to me, though. Well, we'll bomb the shit out of people that are about to wipe you out, but more than that? NOPE!

If our goal is to actually help people, which our military is entirely capable of doing, then lets just fucking do it and stop beating around the bush.

I have to wonder if there would ever be a point where we could pull out and the work the military put in wouldn't be immediately undone. I'm not saying that you are wrong about having the capability to help while we are over there by the way. It just feels like to keep the middle east in a state that we approve of would require becoming part of the eternal fabric that holds the place together.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: "I too long for the day when the US stops meddling in the middle east. Finally the Muslims will be able to live among themselves in peace like they have for over 1300 years"

Lol agreed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

I have to wonder if there would ever be a point where we could pull out and the work the military put in wouldn't be immediately undone. I'm not saying that you are wrong about having the capability to help while we are over there by the way. It just feels like to keep the middle east in a state that we approve of would require becoming part of the eternal fabric that holds the place together.

Maybe the world needs to pull together and make that happen. I think we need to stop with the mentality that every facet of someone's culture is sacrosanct. Some parts of some cultures, I feel, need to be eradicated for the good of mankind.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

can we unhang saddam already? that motherfucker wouldn't stand for this shit.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Just let them kill each other, I'm sick of this Middle East shit.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105

@airshocker: *shrugs*" I'd actually be okay with that. I'd like to see the world pull together and agree on accomplishing just about anything if it's in the name of making people's lives better.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

US need to stay in the Middle East and create real lasting stability rather than just dipping in and out or just leave them to it.

sauronthehun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 sauronthehun
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

can we unhang saddam already? that motherfucker wouldn't stand for this shit.

Saddam would just respond by slaughtering more people. Iraq doesn't need another genocidal maniac.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BossPerson

we should kill every one in the middle east with a beard.

world peace achieved.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BossPerson

the problem with beards is that anyone who is willing to look that hideous is either insane or must sincerely believe in a higher purpose for him.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@BossPerson said:

the problem with beards is that anyone who is willing to look that hideous is either insane or must sincerely believe in a higher purpose for him.

You're just hating because you can't grow an epic beard.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By -Sun_Tzu-
@Shottayouth13- said:

@BossPerson said:

You're just hating because you can't grow an epic beard.

That is why I hate

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BossPerson

even if i could grow a beard (im 21 and its still filling in) i would enjoy murdering it every morning. **** beards.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@BossPerson said:

we should kill every one in the middle east with a beard.

world peace achieved.

Why just beards. Lets kill 'em all.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

Maybe the world needs to pull together and make that happen. I think we need to stop with the mentality that every facet of someone's culture is sacrosanct. Some parts of some cultures, I feel, need to be eradicated for the good of mankind.

Who decides what is good or not? We had this idea in the Cold War in which the United States and Great Britain basically systematically eliminated/weakened/supported the opposition to the secular labor movements/intellectual movement going on during that time within the region because they were deemed as possible communist threats.. This led to the strengthening of the many groups we see now, religious zealots, dictators etc etc.. Call me a skeptic when I hear such claims, because the majority of the policies by the West within the Middle East has little to nothing to do with the "good of mankind"..

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Sun_Tzu-

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

Who decides what is good or not? We had this idea in the Cold War in which the United States and Great Britain basically systematically eliminated/weakened/supported the opposition to the secular labor movements/intellectual movement going on during that time within the region because they were deemed as possible communist threats.. This led to the strengthening of the many groups we see now, religious zealots, dictators etc etc.. Call me a skeptic when I hear such claims, because the majority of the policies by the West within the Middle East has little to nothing to do with the "good of mankind"..

All true, but in this particular instance there are plenty of convenient coincidences. ISIS is really bad, by any metric. The Kurds are a predominately secular people who are pretty progressive, especially when compared to neighboring societies.

But still realpolitik will ultimately rule the day, while we're going to be fighting ISIS on this front, what the Obama administration isn't going to admit is that we're supporting ISIS on other fronts - at least complicity as we watch our Saudi friends fund them directly. There's been a broader regional cold war going on between Saudi Arabia and Iran, and the Saudis have been playing a very dangerous game in their proxy war against the Iranians by funding these people.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

I too long for the day when the US stops meddling in the middle east. Finally the Muslims will be able to live among themselves in peace like they have for over 1300 years.

There is a time and a place to be sarcastic but this is not one of them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@airshocker said:

I dont think you see just how big a problem this actually is. ISIS is the same group that many in america and europe wants to send weapons to fight Assad in syria, so any real military action against them would weaken them even more in Syria. But at the same time no one cant stand by while ISIS conquers a big part of Iraq because opposed to Syria, Iraq doesn't actually have a very good standing army.

So bombing is pretty much the only option.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BossPerson

@Jacanuk said:

@airshocker said:

I dont think you see just how big a problem this actually is. ISIS is the same group that many in america and europe wants to send weapons to fight Assad in syria, so any real military action against them would weaken them even more in Syria. But at the same time no one cant stand by while ISIS conquers a big part of Iraq because opposed to Syria, Iraq doesn't actually have a very good standing army.

isis is NOT the group that many in the west want to fight assad

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BossPerson

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

http://www.amazon.ca/Containing-Arab-Nationalism-Eisenhower-Doctrine/dp/0807855081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

We do. Unless you believe the Middle East is capable of getting out of their imposed dark age.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Jacanuk said:

@airshocker said:

Bombing isn't the only option.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sibu_xgamer
Member since 2014 • 340 Posts

ISIS needs to be stopped but I find it ironic that the US always ends up fighting the ones they supported, fighting against the same weapons they gave others. Like with Saddam, Bin Laden and now the Syrian rebels. Not to mention that Iraq was much safer under Saddam than what it became after the US decided it needed to get bombed. It seems the US are always busy cleaning up their crap, maybe they should stay out this time and let other arab countries deal with it.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sibu_xgamer

@airshocker said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

We do. Unless you believe the Middle East is capable of getting out of their imposed dark age.

It seems that the US/UK/France (the west in general) actions throughout history have buried them deeper on the dark ages so what difference does it make? Is not like the US seems to have any clue as to what they are doing, a few months ago they were providing arms to these groups.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

It seems that the US/UK/France (the west in general) actions throughout history have buried them deeper on the dark ages so what difference does it make? Is not like the US seems to have any clue as to what they are doing, a few months ago they were providing arms to these groups.

Actually, the edicts of your holy book have done more than we ever could to that effect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@sibu_xgamer said:

ISIS needs to be stopped but I find it ironic that the US always ends up fighting the ones they supported, fighting against the same weapons they gave others. Like with Saddam, Bin Laden and now the Syrian rebels. Not to mention that Iraq was much safer under Saddam than what it became after the US decided it needed to get bombed. It seems the US are always busy cleaning up their crap, maybe they should stay out this time and let other arab countries deal with it.

Right, because the Arab countries really seem to give a shit if genocide occurs.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By -Sun_Tzu-

@sibu_xgamer said:

let other arab countries deal with it.

lol

No thank you

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sibu_xgamer

@airshocker said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

Actually, the edicts of your holy book have done more than we ever could to that effect.

I don't have a holy book but I'm really enjoying Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels currently, those motorcycling guys were bad but I'm afraid practicing gonzo journalism with ISIS wouldn't end up so well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@sibu_xgamer said:

I don't have a holy book but I'm really enjoying Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels currently, those motorcycling guys were bad but I'm afraid practicing gonzo journalism with ISIS wouldn't end up so well.

Funny, but you know what I meant.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sibu_xgamer

@airshocker said:
@sibu_xgamer said:

Right, because the Arab countries really seem to give a shit if genocide occurs.

The avoidance of intervening in multiple African slaughters makes it clear that the west doesn't really give a shit about genocides either. The interests are clearly elsewhere, so again, what difference does it make? The US is clearly not making anything better with all their self-righteous actions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:
@sibu_xgamer said:

The avoidance of intervening in multiple African slaughters makes it clear that the west doesn't really give a shit about genocides either. The interests are clearly elsewhere, so again, what difference does it make? The US is clearly not making anything better with all their self-righteous actions.

No, it makes it clear that the governments of the west don't really give a shit. I'm not a government. I give a shit. Focus on me and less on the US government. If it was up to me we'd be in every third-world country, along with our partners across the world. I believe human life is worth spending money to save. And we should be using our military to do that.

Finally, things were much better when the US military was in Iraq.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sibu_xgamer

@airshocker said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:
@sibu_xgamer said:

No, it makes it clear that the governments of the west don't really give a shit. I'm not a government. I give a shit. Focus on me and less on the US government. If it was up to me we'd be in every third-world country, along with our partners across the world. I believe human life is worth spending money to save. And we should be using our military to do that.

How can I focus on you? you're not your government and in the end your government is the one calling the shots and doing the crap they do. So even if you personally have good intentions I can't support your government's actions based on your good intentions. If your government's actions reflected your intentions I wouldn't have any problem but sadly they rarely do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:
@sibu_xgamer said:

How can I focus on you? you're not your government and in the end your government is the one calling the shots and doing the crap they do. So even if you personally have good intentions I can't support your government's actions based on your good intentions. If your government's actions reflected your intentions I wouldn't have any problem but sadly they rarely do.

Because me and you are having a discussion, not you and the government. That's not the point though. My intentions matter, not what the West has fucked up with in the past.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Sun_Tzu-

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:
@sibu_xgamer said:

Of course the US doesn't really care about genocides, so what? So what that they have ulterior motives? Never, in the history of humanity, has anyone ever done anything purely for altruistic reasons. There's a clear difference between action and inaction for the Kurds, the Yezidis and other minorities in the region.

The sober reality is that it is logistically impossible for the US to stop every genocide in the world. Because of that there's going to have to be some metric used for justifying US involvement - the metric used is how important the region is strategically to the US. Do you have a better standard?

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sibu_xgamer

@airshocker said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:
@sibu_xgamer said:

Because me and you are having a discussion, not you and the government. That's not the point though. My intentions matter, not what the West has fucked up with in the past.

Well I disagree, your intentions matter little when we are talking about western inteventions in the middle east. In that context the actions and reactions of governments and political groups matter much more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@sibu_xgamer said:

Well I disagree, your intentions matter little when we are talking about western inteventions in the middle east. In that context the actions and reactions of governments and political groups matter much more.

Then you're not actually here to have an honest discussion.

With that said, I'll just sit back and enjoy watching Sun_Tzu rip you apart.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sibu_xgamer

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Never, in the history of humanity, has anyone ever done anything purely for altruistic reasons.

I'm not so sure about that but ok, this is no place for this discussion.

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Of course the US doesn't really care about genocides, so what? So what that they have ulterior motives? Never, in the history of humanity, has anyone ever done anything purely for altruistic reasons. There's a clear difference between action and inaction for the Kurds, the Yezidis and other minorities in the region.

The sober reality is that it is logistically impossible for the US to stop every genocide in the world. Because of that there's going to have to be some metric used for justifying US involvement - the metric used is how important the region is strategically to the US. Do you have a better standard?

A better standard for me would be that the US doesn't get involved. Is not just that I think the US is incapable of dealing with any genocide around the world which is obvious, is also that I think that the US involvement based on whatever selfish reasons they have, have helped produce more genocides and problems that if they wouldn't get involved. So I find it pretty hard to support any US intervention right now even if it seems well intentioned.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sibu_xgamer

@airshocker said:

Then you're not actually here to have an honest discussion.

WTF? lol I don't understand how you reached that conclusion, it's pretty deluded but ok, do whatever you want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@airshocker said:

@sibu_xgamer said:

@airshocker said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

This is just wrong.. Iran is a prime example of this.. Mossadegh a secular leader that wanted to nationalize Iranian oil was overthrown by MI6 and CIA for being a "communist" threat.. IN which they then installed the brutal and corrupt dictator the Shah.. Outside of torturing people who eliminated or exiled the majority of the opposition, most particular labor and intellectual groups.. The one group he exiled but didn't fully get rid of were the Muslim power base groups, which bit him in the ass during 1979... And been in charge ever sense..

Then lets not forget the end of World War 1 led to the Ottoman Empire breaking into pieces in which Great Britain and France pretty much took direct control of parts or put corrupt puppet governments in place.. Same deal with Saudi Arabian chiefs which made a deal with Great Britain if they helped they would be allowed to take over Saudi Arabia.. To claim the west has not had a fundamental impact on the region in the past 100 years is just plain ignorance.. This isn't excusing the actions of the religious zealots, only pointing out this is basically the EXACT same reasoning the US and West used during the past 100 years in the region.. With many of these groups taking power directly or indirectly due to western policy.. In 1980s the US sure loved Saddam for instance.. That sure panned out well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59d151f079814

@BossPerson said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:
@airshocker said:

http://www.amazon.ca/Containing-Arab-Nationalism-Eisenhower-Doctrine/dp/0807855081

Yes it was Arab nationalism during the 50s with Egypt at the lead.. This was when Great Britain was basically abandoning the region due to their waning power.. But a few decades later the US were supporting nationalist groups and rubbing shoulders with people like Saddam because they were a counter balance and hostile towards USSR influence..