Now that I think about it, God is kind of a jerk...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

I mean no offense to any christian out there.

There is famine in the world, destruction violence.

I know the old saying

"God created free will."

But all it would take for God is one snap, and he could END violence.

He could stop that guy from stabbing that man in the throat, create a force field or something between them.

It'd kind of be like death note.

OG_LIP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OG_LIP
Member since 2012 • 370 Posts

I once talked to god in a dream, he told me he wasn't real.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Sounds like that fake god.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard Dawkins
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
sage
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
sageCptJSparrow
brush
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard DawkinsMrPraline
That guy knows alot of words
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaintWalrus

Man: I've commited 7 crimes, stolen from a church, burned down an orphanage, and cheated on 6 women. Can I go to heaven?

God: Sure! Just ask for forgivenence in a 15 second prayer before you sleep tonight

Child: I was born in a third world country in a tribe that has never even heard of God

God: nOPE! Off to hell you go!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Are you talking about the Christian one?
Xx_Socrates_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xx_Socrates_xX
Member since 2012 • 3604 Posts

I lol'd at the title.

Tell me you didn't just realize this TC...

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Are you talking about the Christian one?BranKetra
I assumed so, his first line mentions not wanting to offend Christians.
The-Sham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The-Sham
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Why would God want everything to be perfect? He wants there to be good and bad, isn't that the point of us existing?
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

"One must state it plainly. Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody-not even the mighty Democritus who concluded that all matter was made from atoms-had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion, and one would like to think-though the connection is not a fully demonstrable one-that this is why they seem so uninterested in sending fellow humans to hell."

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintWalrus

Why would God want everything to be perfect? He wants there to be good and bad, isn't that the point of us existing?The-Sham
So he'd rather have massive destruction, unspeakable evil, and some of the most disgusting things ever thought of done. Instead of allowing us to keep free will, but just end crime period...

It wouldn't be a perfect world.

But it'd be a NICER place to live in.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 themajormayor

"One must state it plainly. Religion comes from the period of human prehistory where nobody-not even the mighty Democritus who concluded that all matter was made from atoms-had the smallest idea what was going on. It comes from the bawling and fearful infancy of our species, and is a babyish attempt to meet our inescapable demand for knowledge (as well as for comfort, reassurance and other infantile needs). Today the least educated of my children knows much more about the natural order than any of the founders of religion, and one would like to think-though the connection is not a fully demonstrable one-that this is why they seem so uninterested in sending fellow humans to hell."

Joshywaa
That was a pretty stupid quote.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaintWalrus
[QUOTE="Joshywaa"]

themajormayor

How so? It's the truth.
Avatar image for 666BumbleBee666
666BumbleBee666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 666BumbleBee666
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

Are you talking about the Christian one?BranKetra

Psssh all Gods look the same.

OG_LIP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OG_LIP
Member since 2012 • 370 Posts

You have to have faith, god listens to all.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
He has some crude sense of humor... I give you that.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Joshywaa"]

SaintWalrus

How so? It's the truth.

The world's fastest growing religion was formed during the 19th-20th centuries. That pretty much invalidates the whole quote.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Sham"]Why would God want everything to be perfect? He wants there to be good and bad, isn't that the point of us existing?SaintWalrus

So he'd rather have massive destruction, unspeakable evil, and some of the most disgusting things ever thought of done. Instead of allowing us to keep free will, but just end crime period...

That's impossible. Just sayin
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] That was a pretty stupid quote.themajormayor

How so? It's the truth.

The world's fastest growing religion was formed during the 19th-20th centuries. That pretty much invalidates the whole quote.

It does not change the fact that that religion stemmed from an earlier religion The concept of religion itself is what he is talking about.
Avatar image for 666BumbleBee666
666BumbleBee666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 666BumbleBee666
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

He has some crude sense of humor... I give you that.CoolSkAGuy

lol so true, why else he make fart? LOL

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SaintWalrus
[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"]

[QUOTE="The-Sham"]Why would God want everything to be perfect? He wants there to be good and bad, isn't that the point of us existing?parkurtommo

That's impossible. Just sayin

It's not impossible for a GOD who created the universe in 7 days.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] How so? It's the truth.SaintWalrus

It does not change the fact that that religion stemmed from an earlier religion The concept of religion itself is what he is talking about.

Science stems from earlier advances in science.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if these threads are just made to bait Christians and Atheists into huge arguments. To answer the OP's question, if you look at it that way, you could say that. You could also say that if God took our free will away and had absolute control over our actions we would probably complain about being puppets instead.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintWalrus

The idea that "Someone," had to have created everything stems waaay back to the days of early man.

This concept gets passed down throughout history.

It just takes different forms

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SaintWalrus
[QUOTE="ad1x2"]Sometimes I wonder if these threads are just made to bait Christians and Atheists into huge arguments. To answer the OP's question, if you look at it that way, you could say that. You could also say that if God took our free will away and had absolute control over our actions we would probably complain about being puppets instead.

I'm not talking about getting rid of free will completely. I'm just saying, God could become Batman and just intervene with crimes. Like the movie Minority report.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]

themajormayor

Your point being?
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

This is the impression I've had for quite some time. Its how I justify my beliefs. "If God is real, he's a d!ck". I have a hard time believing in a God when people are born into these terrible conditions, and I'm so fortunate that I'm not. I am the 1%, and I certainly don't have the pride to give that up.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"][QUOTE="ad1x2"]Sometimes I wonder if these threads are just made to bait Christians and Atheists into huge arguments. To answer the OP's question, if you look at it that way, you could say that. You could also say that if God took our free will away and had absolute control over our actions we would probably complain about being puppets instead.

I'm not talking about getting rid of free will completely. I'm just saying, God could become Batman and just intervene with crimes. Like the movie Minority report.

One thing you need to realize about any religion that is thousands of years old (not just Christianity) is that after all of that time, years of being passed by word of mouth before being put on paper, and multiple translations there will be some confusion and deviation from the original product. For all we know the Bible could be five percent the original text and 95% added on by people with an agenda. With that, nobody can say why God does what he does assuming there even is a God. One thing is for sure, you won't get a good answer here in OT with the vast majority of posters being Atheists. You want real answers seek religious clergy.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Humans are jerks...yeah that's right I'm god.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#34 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Are you talking about the Christian one?MrPraline
I assumed so, his first line mentions not wanting to offend Christians.

tldr
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

I mean no offense to any christian out there.

There is famine in the world, destruction violence.

I know the old saying

"God created free will."

But all it would take for God is one snap, and he could END violence.

He could stop that guy from stabbing that man in the throat, create a force field or something between them.

It'd kind of be like death note.

SaintWalrus

That kind of god sounds like a sadist...

Worship that? Never!

The-Sham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The-Sham
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Well one of the main religions believes that this world and humans were just created as a sort of test. If you do good in this world then you have proven yourself to go to heaven, and if you have done bad then you go to hell. God created free will for humans for this purpose. Natural disasters are just ways in which God is testing humanity and what people do and so on.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] It does not change the fact that that religion stemmed from an earlier religion The concept of religion itself is what he is talking about.SaintWalrus

Your point being?

What's YOUR point?
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard DawkinsMrPraline

I absolutely adore Richard Dawkins.:D

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Science stems from earlier advances in science.themajormayor
Your point being?

What's YOUR point?

My point is, he is not talking about one religion, He is talking about the concept of religion itself.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] Your point being?SaintWalrus

What's YOUR point?

My point is, he is not talking about one religion, He is talking about the concept of religion itself.

And the concept of science is also ancient. Well not really but the foundations of science.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SaintWalrus
[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] What's YOUR point? themajormayor

And the concept of science is also ancient. Well not really but the foundations of science.

Science is ancient But science is built upon the knowledge of the universe Religion is built upon good story tellers.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] My point is, he is not talking about one religion, He is talking about the concept of religion itself.SaintWalrus

Science is ancient But science is built upon the knowledge of the universe Religion is built upon good story tellers.

But now you're changing you argument entirely. That was not what we were talking about. That's not what the quote said.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] And the concept of science is also ancient. Well not really but the foundations of science.themajormayor

But now you're changing you argument entirely. That was not what we were talking about. That's not what the quote said.

How so? The quote said that religion was created in a time of ignorance. You said it was invalid because the fastest growing religion was created many centuries after that period. And I merely said that that does not change the fact that people get the idea of religion from that time of ignorance. Which is what the quote was talking about.