North Carolina GOP proposes a Bill that could lead to an official State Religion

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
So basically they're refuting the constitution? How is that even possible?chrisrooR
It's not, but Jesus
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So basically they're refuting the constitution? How is that even possible?chrisrooR

Because states rights!!!

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#53 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Come to think of it, this thread is poorly titled. As for "North Carolina GOP" it was more like a handful of state legislators proposing this bill. As far as "could lead to an official state religion" lots of bills "could to" things but don't.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Come to think of it, this thread is poorly titled. As for "North Carolina GOP" it was more like a handful of state legislators proposing this bill. As far as "could lead to an official state religion" lots of bills "could to" things but don't.

whipassmt

Unfortunately that's become the norm here. One or two people gets labeled as the entire party.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Pirate700

Unfortunately that's become the norm here. One or two people gets labeled as the entire party.

The party system needs to go away completely. Lets start focusing on the person, and his/her ideas.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

The_Lipscomb

The party system needs to go away completely. Lets start focusing on the person, and his/her ideas.

The parties don't need to go away for that to happen. People just need to learn how to make proper titles and view a situation objectively.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
lol at people getting bent out of shape over a proposed bill that won't be taken seriously......
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

The_Lipscomb

Eh...there isn't really a big divergence between politicians.....
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol, nc joining in on the nutbag "sovereign citizen" movement.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/ideology/sovereign-citizens-movement

The strange subculture of the sovereign citizens movement, whose adherents hold truly bizarre, complex antigovernment beliefs, has been growing at a fast pace since the late 2000s. Sovereigns believe that they not judges, juries, law enforcement or elected officials get to decide which laws to obey and which to ignore, and they don't think they should have to pay taxes

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Unfortunately that's become the norm here. One or two people gets labeled as the entire party. LJS9502_basic

Sure. Still needs to go away.. but it wont.. Since we Americans just love to argue with each other and not even try to attempt to solve anything.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"] The party system needs to go away completely. Lets start focusing on the person, and his/her ideas.

Sure. Still needs to go away.. but it wont.. Since we Americans just love to argue with each other and not even try to attempt to solve anything.

Like minded politicians will always form a group in order to enact their ideas. I'm not sure why you think removing the party label removes the community aspect of politics.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Pirate700

Quite sad really.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Eh...there isn't really a big divergence between politicians.....

Like minded politicians will always form a group in order to enact their ideas. I'm not sure why you think removing the party label removes the community aspect of politics.

You know, you may be right. That's unfortunate. This is why, I stay out of politics completely. No matter how much you argue, it usually goes nowhere. So I just focus on what's going on locally where I live now.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

How does this conversation go down exactly? Does one republican say to others, "Hey guys, lets try to pass something that is clearly unconstitutional, will be shot down by the supreme court if it passes, and cost a small fortune in taxpayer money in the process."

Do they just respond, "Well heck yeah we'll go along with that.! We're fiscal conservatives after all."?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"] Sure. Still needs to go away.. but it wont.. Since we Americans just love to argue with each other and not even try to attempt to solve anything.

You know, you may be right. That's unfortunate. This is why, I stay out of politics completely. No matter how much you argue, it usually goes nowhere. So I just focus on what's going on locally where I live now.

I just distrust any and all politicians.....seems to be realistic anyway.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Couldn't care less. One, it won't pass. Two, if by some crazy chance it did, it wouldn't have any effect on anyone. Does the state bird or state gem stone change anything?

Pirate700

If it passes it sets a precedent that States don't have to abide by the Constitution since that Directly states there can be no State Recognized Religion.

I get that and I don't support it happening. The outrage though is silly, IMO. You know times are relatively good when stupid crap like this is what people are getting outraged over.

I don't think state lawmakers essentially saying "y'know what - f*ck the Constitution" is stupid crap.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dave123321

How does this conversation go down exactly? Does one republican say to others, "Hey guys, lets try to pass something that is clearly unconstitutional, will be shot down by the supreme court if it passes, and cost a small fortune in taxpayer money in the process."

Do they just respond, "Well heck yeah we'll go along with that.! We're fiscal conservatives after all."?

Serraph105
Only in a unsubtle heavy handed anti-republican propaganda cartoon
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] If it passes it sets a precedent that States don't have to abide by the Constitution since that Directly states there can be no State Recognized Religion.worlock77

I get that and I don't support it happening. The outrage though is silly, IMO. You know times are relatively good when stupid crap like this is what people are getting outraged over.

I don't think state lawmakers essentially saying "y'know what - f*ck the Constitution" is stupid crap.

Agreed
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Like minded politicians will always form a group in order to enact their ideas. I'm not sure why you think removing the party label removes the community aspect of politics.

I distrust politicans as well. Even if there's a rare one that I do like.. You never know, that person may just share their ides, and if he/she wins the positions.. They turn around on those ideas, and go against them or ignore them. The Obama 2007-2008 years I feel is a pretty good example of this. That guy turned on half the things he said. Sneaky dude.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Serraph105

what are they going to do?

go against the will of GAWWWWWWWWD?

make jesus cry?

side with the debbil?

any politician that stands up and calls out these guys for what they are will get labeled as  witches or something.

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"] You know, you may be right. That's unfortunate. This is why, I stay out of politics completely. No matter how much you argue, it usually goes nowhere. So I just focus on what's going on locally where I live now.

I distrust politicans as well. Even if there's a rare one that I do like.. You never know, that person may just share their ides, and if he/she wins the positions.. They turn around on those ideas, and go against them or ignore them. The Obama 2007-2008 years I feel is a pretty good example of this. That guy turned on half the things he said. Sneaky dude.

Yea, 'Bama is a sneaky dick.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#72 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

lol, nc joining in on the nutbag "sovereign citizen" movement.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/ideology/sovereign-citizens-movement

The strange subculture of the sovereign citizens movement, whose adherents hold truly bizarre, complex antigovernment beliefs, has been growing at a fast pace since the late 2000s. Sovereigns believe that they not judges, juries, law enforcement or elected officials get to decide which laws to obey and which to ignore, and they don't think they should have to pay taxes

Riverwolf007

So in other words the "sovereign citizens" are quite similar to anarchists, but they are probably often classified as a "right wing" movement while anarchism is generally considered "left wing". Just another example of why the "right-left"paradigm doesn't always work.

But if people decide which laws to obey and which to ignore, what is the point of a law anyway if citizens are supposed to be able to choose to ignore it?

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I just distrust any and all politicians.....seems to be realistic anyway.

Yea, 'Bama is a sneaky dick.

He's definetly one of the sneakiest presidents we have had in recent times. Being a good speaker and having a lot of money is a very powerful combination.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Serraph105
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

dave123321

Quite sad really.

while I agree that this has little chance of passing, I disagree with the notion of it being one or two people. From what I can tell, this legislation is backed by thirteen elected officials in the state's House of Representatives. When I think of the average "one or two people" type of crazy legislation, I tend to think of a couple of fringe general public (aka non-elected officials) trying to get something retarded passed.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dave123321
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

dave123321

Quite sad really.

Though it becomes a concern when it becomes more then that and the bad ones start to take a drivers seat to significant parts of the party.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I hope this doesn't go anywhere but given that it's North Carolina I wouldn't be surprised if this gets passed and spends 2-3 years going through courts after someone decides to challenge it.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"] You know, you may be right. That's unfortunate. This is why, I stay out of politics completely. No matter how much you argue, it usually goes nowhere. So I just focus on what's going on locally where I live now.

Very true.dat. Like the poet Vinnie Paz rapped on "True Lies": "I'll admit that Obama had me believing the hype/but after doing the knowledge I ain't been sleeping at night/probably the biggest deception I've ever seen in my life/if y'all ain't read between the lines than y'all aint reading it right"
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayerNuck81
I don't get it Why do they even feel the need to open a meeting with a prayer? Can't they just pray during one of the other 23 hours of the day if they really want to?

Because Jesus

But Jesus specifically said to go and pray in private, and not to pray to be seen by others praying. Why don't Christians ever read the things their savior said?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="JML897"] I don't get it Why do they even feel the need to open a meeting with a prayer? Can't they just pray during one of the other 23 hours of the day if they really want to? SteveTabernacle
Because Jesus

But Jesus specifically said to go and pray in private, and not to pray to be seen by others praying. Why don't Christians ever read the things their savior said?

Dat generalization.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Huffington post is a tabloid.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#81 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

This is basically the political equivalent of a teenage girl saying "wha'eva, I do wha'Iwan'!" to her dad, then proceeding to get a few of her friends together so they can line up to get kicked in the face by a mule.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Serraph105

Huffington post is a tabloid.

MakeMeaSammitch
but they do have links to this bill that is being proposed which leads to the NC government website.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#83 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
It won't go anywhere but separation of church and state simple says that the government cannot hinder a church or it's teachings. For many years at the beginning of the country, many states had a state religion. It isn't a violation of Church in state so long as the government doesn't discriminate against any specific religion. They can aid a specific church as much as they want so long as it doesn't infringe on rights of other churches. ex. Taxing people because they aren't a specific religion would be breaking separation of Church and state. Giving state funding to a specific church would not.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

As one who is both a Christian and currently living in North Carolina, I am very much against the idea. Within the history of my church denomination there was an occasion that it was persecuted by the state religion. With this historical awareness, I have the tendency myself to be very much against state religions.

I like the idea of religious freedom.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

i doubt anything will happen from this

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12