North Carolina GOP proposes a Bill that could lead to an official State Religion

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

Per Huff Post

"The bill, filed Monday by two GOP lawmakers from Rowan County and backed by nine other Republicans, says each state "is sovereign" and courts cannot block a state "from making laws respecting an establishment of religion." The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayer, wral.com reported. "

So much for the Seperation of Church and State.  Does their claim that the 1st ammendment doesn't extend to "Sovereign" states hold any ground?

If it passes, it's basically and Eff You to the Consitition and sets a precedent for states to do anything and everything they want.

Good Job Religious Conservative Republicans.

#2 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

Probably wont go anywhere

#3 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -
Good Job Religious Conservative Republicans.Nuck81
Because all of them are like that... :roll:
#4 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

I hope they get bent over by the Supreme Court for this, I don't think anyone should be establishing state religions. Let people believe what they want and don't punish them for it. 

#5 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -
Well, technically the text of the First Amendment only specifies Congress, but the Supreme Court later ruled that it does, in fact, apply to states (Gitlow v. New York). Man, I love wikipedia. It allows me to pretend I'm educated.
#6 Posted by BossPerson (9473 posts) -

the gop....

#7 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Well, technically the text of the First Amendment only specifies Congress, but the Supreme Court later ruled that it does, in fact, apply to states (Gitlow v. New York). Man, I love wikipedia. It allows me to pretend I'm educated.PannicAtack

Lol I use Wikipedia for that too, feels good to be a scholar. :P

#8 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -
The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayerNuck81
I don't get it Why do they even feel the need to open a meeting with a prayer? Can't they just pray during one of the other 23 hours of the day if they really want to?
#9 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"] The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayerJML897
I don't get it Why do they even feel the need to open a meeting with a prayer? Can't they just pray during one of the other 23 hours of the day if they really want to?

Because Jesus
#10 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayerJML897

why do people let it bother them?

#11 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Good Job Religious Conservative Republicans.3eyedrazorback

Yes, which until the National Leaders of the GOP reign these nutjobs in, the Moderate Swing Voters will never sway to Republican in Presidential Elections.
#12 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayerlostrib

Irrelevant to my post
#13 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -
what has happened to the republican party? i would like to think i'm a republican, but then i'd be made fun of for all the stupid shit they believe
#14 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -

All those in Wisconsin who do not practice Wisconsinism shall be crucified on a limburger cheese cross. So let it be written, so let it be done.

#15 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="Nuck81"] The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayerlostrib

well, for starters, there are the other religions that might feel alienated by a workplace/government favoring a single religion.

second, theocracies are bad, and having official state religions is pretty much the first step on the road to being one

third, bringing your personal life (your faith) to place of work or government is not very professional, appropriate, or polite.

and finally, its just wrong.  This isnt peanut butter and chocolate; religion and politics do not mix.

#16 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -
[QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"][QUOTE="Nuck81"]Good Job Religious Conservative Republicans.Nuck81

Yes,

So, you're saying ALL of religious conservative republicans are bigots and act like that?
#17 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="JML897"] I don't get it Why do they even feel the need to open a meeting with a prayer? Can't they just pray during one of the other 23 hours of the day if they really want to? JML897

Irrelevant to my post

It's a traditional invocation given by the comissioner.  I just don't know why people let it bother them

#18 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -
[QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"][QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"] Because all of them are like that... :roll:

Yes,

So, you're saying ALL of religious conservative republicans are bigots and act like that?

Sigh..... I was agreeing to your sarcasm. Read the rest of my post. I then said it is the outlier nutjobs that give the GOP a bad name to Moderate Voters.
#19 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="JML897"] I don't get it Why do they even feel the need to open a meeting with a prayer? Can't they just pray during one of the other 23 hours of the day if they really want to? mrbojangles25

well, for starters, there are the other religions that might feel alienated by a workplace/government favoring a single religion.

second, theocracies are bad, and having official state religions is pretty much the first step on the road to being one

third, bringing your personal life (your faith) to place of work or government is not very professional, appropriate, or polite.

and finally, its just wrong.  This isnt peanut butter and chocolate; religion and politics do not mix.

Have yet to see how it is hurting anyone? Like when people get upset when you say merry christmas

#20 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Sigh..... I was agreeing to your sarcasm. Read the rest of my post. I then said it is the outlier nutjobs that give the GOP a bad name to Moderate Voters.

I got confused, don't hate me. :cry:
#21 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

what has happened to the republican party? i would like to think i'm a republican, but then i'd be made fun of for all the stupid shit they believe4myAmuzumament

its a damn shame, I know.  They have lost all sense of being moderate, playing nice, and doing the rational thing.

The republican party is like a reality television star, it is almost like they are doing stuff solely for the ratings.

I Wish this was not the case; we could get a lot more things done if they would just come back to being slightly right of center instead of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY the hell over there right.

#22 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Have yet to see how it is hurting anyone? Like when people get upset when you say merry christmas

Because I don't want their false religion shoved down my throat, when my true religion doesn't get the same advantages and recognition. Get it now?
#23 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Nuck81

Because I don't want their false religion shoved down my throat, when my true religion doesn't get the same advantages and recognition. Get it now?

No, do you also get mad when people say merry christmas or happy easter?

#24 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

People who get upset when someone says Merry Christmas are dumb but that's also a VERY small minority of non-Christians who get angry at that. People who get angry at "Happy Holidays" are just as awful.
#25 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Not really, but I do get frustrated with dumbasses
#26 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Couldn't care less. One, it won't pass. Two, if by some crazy chance it did, it wouldn't have any effect on anyone. Does the state bird or state gem stone change anything?

#27 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -
Not really, but I do get frustrated with dumbassesNuck81
Do you get frustrated with bigots?
#28 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Because I don't want their false religion shoved down my throat, when my true religion doesn't get the same advantages and recognition. Get it now?Nuck81

Not really, but I do get frustrated with dumbasses

Then you must get frustrated a lot.

#29 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

JML897

People who get upset when someone says Merry Christmas are dumb but that's also a VERY small minority of non-Christians who get angry at that. People who get angry at "Happy Holidays" are just as awful.

Yeah, they are usually the annoying atheists

#30 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

Couldn't care less. One, it won't pass. Two, if by some crazy chance it did, it wouldn't have any effect on anyone. Does the state bird or state gem stone change anything?

Pirate700
If it passes it sets a precedent that States don't have to abide by the Constitution since that Directly states there can be no State Recognized Religion.
#31 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Nuck81

If it passes it sets a precedent that States don't have to abide by the Constitution since that Directly states there can be no State Recognized Religion.

Well not directly but that is how it has been decided/interpreted now by the Supreme court

#32 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Nuck81

I get that and I don't support it happening. The outrage though is silly, IMO. You know times are relatively good when stupid crap like this is what people are getting outraged over.

#33 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

I get that and I don't support it happening. The outrage though is silly, IMO. You know times are relatively good when stupid crap like this is what people are getting outraged over.

Outrage? More like Ridicule
#34 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -

While it wont pass.. it's disturbing it has been considered in the first place.

#35 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

All those in Wisconsin who do not practice Wisconsinism shall be crucified on a limburger cheese cross. So let it be written, so let it be done.

CJL13

Not limburger. Cheddar. Limburger is too soft and wouldn't hold a person up.

#36 Posted by Aljosa23 (25111 posts) -

lmao Republicans.

#37 Posted by dave123321 (34127 posts) -
NEVERMIND
#38 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

lmao Republicans.

Aljosa23

Yeah! nothing like those liberals who want to ban soft drinks

#39 Posted by Aljosa23 (25111 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

lmao Republicans.

lostrib

Michael Bloomberg is not a Liberal though.

#40 Posted by lostrib (37486 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

lmao Republicans.

Aljosa23

Michael Bloomberg is not a Liberal though.

Just because he says he's an "independent" doesnt mean he's not a leftist.  And the State of New York is pretty liberal

#41 Posted by wis3boi (31456 posts) -

Dumb as shit, but will not pass.

#42 Posted by whipassmt (14034 posts) -

States are bound to obey the Federal Constitution. Sometimes the word sovereign is used to describe states or Native American tribes, however they are really only semi-sovereign because they are ultimately under the authority of the federal government, but the term sovereign is used because the federal government only has limited authority over the states (in other words the state's are not administrative divisions of the federal government).

As far as the commissioners opening their meetings with a prayer that is fine, Congress and the Supreme Court also begin their sessions with prayer. Nobody is compelled to partake in this prayer, so it is not a problem.

#43 Posted by Wasdie (49995 posts) -

"The bill, filed Monday by two GOP lawmakers from Rowan County and backed by nine other Republicans,"

So a bunch of hicks from small, scarcely populated counties in NC propose some crazy bill that has 0 chance of passing. Whenever their titles are so insignificant they have to be referred to as "lawmakers", you know you shouldn't take it seriously.

Remember, states have a full house and senate. Those positions are often filled by part timers and people who got into office because they put their name on the ballot and were voted in by a handful of people. Whenever you hear of some crazy legislation being proposed by a "lawmaker", 99% of the time it's by one of these kind of people.

#44 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

Wouldn't a "State Religion" be considered unconstitutional?

#45 Posted by dave123321 (34127 posts) -
Mountain out of a molehill. Often you will get a few less then ideal people with insignificant roles that bring these kinds of things up.
#46 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

lmao Republicans.

lostrib

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

congrats, you made me use this for the first time ever.

Party to celebrate?

#47 Posted by hiphops_savior (7939 posts) -
Nothing to see, likely to get struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional.
#48 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
this is the supposed superior party to the 'communist' liberals. also lol@following either party. inferiority as an individual is pretty much confirmed when if you label yourself dem or rep
#49 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
So basically they're refuting the constitution? How is that even possible?
#50 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

Dumb as shit, but will not pass.

wis3boi