New Alien Film Being Made by Neill Blomkamp

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

The director of District 9 announced that after the release of his new film Chappie, his next project will be an Alien sequel that will star Sigourney Weaver.

New Alien Film Info

More Info and Concept Art

Your thoughts?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Not a fan of his...but I love the concept art - he clearly has a vision and idea of where he wants to take the franchise, so I am excited to see what he will do with it. I mean, another film was BOUND to happen. Just pray Lindelof isn't allowed within a hundred miles of its production.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Cool I really like Alien. Hopefully he can drive the series in the right direction, let's forget about that Prometheus nonsense.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It could be worse

Ridley Scott could be doing another one.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

District 8 and Esylium were both terrible to the point that Prometheus was great in comparison.

So meh.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

It's too bad Blomkamp isn't a good director.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

I like Alien but oh no i have a bad feeling :(.

Smallville0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Smallville0608
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

Looking forward to it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hicks and Ripley again? What setting will the movie be in? It would have to be between Aliens and Alien 3 because Hicks was already dead before Alien 3.

To be honest, I hope it's not the above. I'm not a fan of "filler" or intermediate crap because we already know what happens eventually.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Let it go.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

This could turn out well. District 9 was great and Elysium was... watchable.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Iszdope said:

Schweeet.

real sweet innit brotha.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sukraj

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

Schweeet.

real sweet innit brotha.

You know it.

wot up dude

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i found the concept art pretty lame and boring ,no matter how good it technically was.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sukraj

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

Schweeet.

real sweet innit brotha.

You know it.

wot up dude

This is a test...

'Not much, should be going to sleep.

get some rest dude.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Beam me up scotty, I'm in.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

District 9 was great, Elysium was terrible.

1 for 2.

I love Alien so he better not screw it up.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

eh

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Confirm movie shooting location in South Afrika ...... and Shalto Copley in it

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Hicks and Ripley again? What setting will the movie be in? It would have to be between Aliens and Alien 3 because Hicks was already dead before Alien 3.

To be honest, I hope it's not the above. I'm not a fan of "filler" or intermediate crap because we already know what happens eventually.

As far as I know, the plan is to pretend like Alien 3 and Alien 4 never happened. If that's the case, **** that. I don't get to forget that I watched those movies, so Fox doesn't get to pretend like they never made them. If I still have to live with those shitstains of movies, then so does Fox.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Concept art looks somewhat boring. Part of what made the movie what is was, was H.R. Giger's sexual imagery.

Blomkamp is great though; at least District 9 was great. Elysium - not so much.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrGeezer

@uninspiredcup said:

Concept art looks somewhat boring. Part of what made the movie what is was, was H.R. Giger's sexual imagery.

Blomkamp is great though; at least District 9 was great. Elysium - not so much.

Thing that gives off the biggest warning sign to me is that the concept art reeks of being nothing obut fan service. Yeah, I get that Alien 3 and 4 sucked. But apparently the concept art being released played a role in Blompklomp getting the job, and what am I seeing? I'm not seeing hints of a story. I'm seeing fan service shit that Alien fans have been whining about for the last 25 years. Hey...Hicks and Ripley back together? Why? Who cares! It's Hicks and Ripley back together fighting Aliens even though I can't help but think, "whay is this happening?" Derelict spaceship in a giant warehouse? Cool imagery, but again...WHY? How does that hint at the story being advancesd when the Alien movie series has already gone on long enough that the ship should be irrelevant? Ripkley wearing an Alien suit? That shit actually just looks stupid.

But I think my biggest beef here is the apparent plan to just throw all continuity out the window and pretend like half the series (AVP is not part of the Alien series) never happened. Standard practice if you want to do that is to do a full reboot. Then you can puick and choose what to keep in and what to leave behind. Continuity doesn't matter because reboots aren't part of the same story. I've heard inklings of an Alien reboot, and if they want to get Blompklomp to do the reboot, then fine. But all indications I've heard that this is not a reboot. This is intended to be a story set within the pre-existing Alien story, and they're wanting to throw out half the story because they don't like it. **** that. If they thought that half the story was so goddamn disposable, then why did they bother making it and then charge me money to see it and then keep on doing rereleases on disc while adding new incentives (extras, alternate edits, better visual fidelity, etc) to get people to pay for it again? They milk half the story as much as they can despite no one liking it, then they want to pretend that shit never happened? **** that. That's like if Harry Potter 6 sucked, so the writer released Harry Potter seven and started it out by saying "Harry Potter 6 never happened because I don't like it. This seventh book is really the 6th bvook, then the 8th book is really gonna be book #7. Yes, I realize that I made a lot of money off of you saps buying that crap, and thanks! But in order to save me from having to make gold out of shit, just pretend you never read that part. Okay/ Thanks!" **** that. Yes, the Alien series ended up in a shitty place. So do your damn work, respect your damn audience, and stop trying to retroactively trying to pretend like the shit that the audience saw never happened. This "Alien 3 and 4 were just hypersleep dreams" shit is just that: shit. It's lazy fanboy garbage from fucking fanboys who care more about the intellectual property than they care about storytelling. Yes, that part of the story happened. Don't like that, then do a reboot. Otherwise, stop fucking insulting my intelligence. If the series went to shit, then proceed from the shitty place that the story ended up and turn that lump of shit into gold. Anyone who can't do that is the wrong person for the job.

EDIT: And yes, I realize that I might have seemed to have been hating on Alien fans. That's because I sort of am. When all that bullshit teaser shit about Alien 3 came out, Alien fans were like, "OMG yes, Aliens on Earth!" Then Alien 3 came out and sucked ass and everyone retroactively pretended like Alien and Aliens were all the story that nedded to be told. Fastforward to present day when Alien fanboys still maintain that Alien and Aliens were the only story that needed to be told. Then Blompklomp posts some admittedly cool (and some admittedly stupid) concept art and everyone's like, "OMG, yes Ripley and Hicks back together again fighting Aliens again! Alien 3 and 4 never happened! Dogs and cats living together in harmony, this is just the incentive I needed to not give in to my cancer!" Except...what exactly is the basic story here that is begging to be told? I'm not asking for a detailed plot synopsis because of course I'm not. But for anyone who's getting hyped about this, the overwhelming vibe I'm getting is "another Alien movie (hopefulluy goofd this time) with fan service shit like having Ripley Newt and Hicks coming back together to kill more Aliens." And I can't help but think...What's the story that needs to be told here? Can anypone explain this to me? Can anyone explain to me what story within the Alien series needs to be told? More specifically, what element of RIPLEY'S story arc needs to be told? Was Ripley's story somehow unfinished or unresolved? Well, sort of. Alien Resurrexction ended with Ripley returning to Earth while being the only remnant of the Alien's genetic material. that could be a starting point for something. That's something that's sort of asking to be resolved. Is anyone gonna let her live considering that she's all that remains of the Aliens? If nothing else, tht's an unansewered question. But now whe're apparently backtracking and starting the new movie as a sequel to Aliens while ignoring that Alien 3 and 4 ever existed. Which begs the question: WHY? Everyone has been saying that Alien and Aliens are a perfectly fine story for Alien series and that the series should have ended there rather than keep going and descend into mediocrity. So, why THIS movie? Since the intent is apparently to ignore Alien 3 and Alien 4 and have this movie be an alternate sequel to Aliens, can anyone explain to me qwhat story needs to be told here/? At the end of Aliens, ewhat questions are we asking about Ripley? In what ways are her story arc incomplete? What story is begging to be told here, and why are Ripley Hicks (and presumably Nrewt) a part of that staory? When Alien 3 and 4 ended up sucking, Alien fanboys have constantly been saying that Alien and Aliens werew the only story thaty needed tpo be told (at least as far as Ripley, Hicks, and Newt are concerned). my question is...what has changed? how does that not still apply?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

I guess they couldn't have someone travel back in time like Star Trek, Xmen: DOFP and Terminator: Genesis.